Tuesday, June 3rd (Series 58: Game 106)

Round-by-round summaries of every game in recent series; for every series in the last 5 years, try cdb, the Countdown database. Obviously this forum contains spoilers!

Moderator: James Robinson

David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Tuesday, June 3rd (Series 58: Game 106)

Post by David O'Donnell »

Countdown recap for Tuesday 3rd June 2008.

C1: Champion Johnathan Coles (5 wins, 475 points.)
C2: Challenger Connie Watson.
DC: Susie Dent and Ricky Tomlinson.
CV: Carol Vorderman.
OT: Other words or solutions.

R01: L T N A O M N A E
R02: D T K I A C F E M
R03: P T P O I D G I Q
R04: E E A L D I T B S
R05: 100, 8, 4, 5, 7, 2. Target: 820.
TTT: EVACIGAR - "A home for angry clergmen, perhaps?"
R06: A E A D N R O T R
R07: Z R S A E S M O X
R08: E R S I R L O V A
R09: Y L S E A N P D E
R10: 100, 3, 5, 7, 4, 6. Target: 436.
TTT: BERETNUT - "Tea Strainer for a Dark Lady"
R11: H S N A I G T O S
R12: E O W M R O E T S
R13: J T C I E N F A U
R14: 75, 2, 3, 5, 5, 1. Target: 494.
R15: L A C E D M I N I (conundrum)

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Johnathan joined us on Tuesday where he deposed Lee Bailey and amassed the highest debut score of all time (124). Whilst he has certainly been doing the business since then he has not been able to resurrect the form of that debut. Forumites will remember Lee Bailey as being described by Jon Corby as a "whiny little bitch." May I take this opportunity to point out that Lee was trying to make a genuine point vis-à-vis the practice of posting beaters during each show and I think Corby's retort was ... well ... erm ... friggin' hilarious. Such hilarity should not distract us from the game at hand as we ask the question: who is going to be today's whiny little bitch?

Round 1: L T N A O M N A E
C1: OMENTAL (7)
C2: LAMENT (6)
DC: NEONATAL (8)
OT: MALONATE (8) (Peter Mabey)
Score: 7–0 (max 8)

The malonate or propanedioate ion is CH2(COO)22− (malonic acid minus two hydrogen ions).

Round 2: D T K I A C F E M
C1: TICKED (6)
C2: MATED (5)
DC: TACKED (6)
OT: DACITE (6) MEDICK (6)
Score: 13–0 (max 14)

Dacite (pronounced /deɪsaɪt/) is an igneous, volcanic rock with a high iron content; a MEDICK is a variation of medic which is also a herb, apparently.

Round 3: P T P O I D G I Q
C1: diptoid (There's only one d and the word isn't valid)
C2: IDIOT (5)
OT: DIGIT (5) PIPIT (5) GIPPO (5) but nothing better than 5
Score: 13–5 (max 19)

A PIPIT is a songbird; a GIPPO is a short tunic whilst also being derogatory slang for a member of the travelling community.

Round 4: E E A L D I T B S
C1: BELATED (7)
C2: DEBATES (7)
DC: STABLED (7) DIABETES (8) BEADIEST (8)
OT: ABSEILED (8) (Joseph) EDITABLE (8) (Peter Mabey)
Score: 20–12 (max 27)

Round 5: 100, 8, 4, 5, 7, 2. Target: 820.
C1: 820.Same method (10)
C2: 820.8*100+4*5 (10)
Score: 30–22 (max 37)

Teatime teaser: EVACIGAR -> VICARAGE

Round 6: A E A D N R O T R
C1: ornater
C2: DREAR (5)
DC: RODENT (6) NARRATED (8)
OT: NARRATED (8) is Darrenic.
Score: 30–27 (max 45)

Round 7: Z R S A E S M O X
C1: SMEARS (6)
C2: MORES (5) (Des corrects Connie's correct pronounciation)
DC: MORASS (6)
OT: Just a few sixes but MORASS (6) is a nice one ... snigger snigger!
Score: 36–27 (max 51)

Round 8: E R S I R L O V A
C1: LORRIES (7)
C2: LOVERS (6)
DC: OVERSAIL (8)
OT: VALORISE (8) as spotted by Conor in his debut game.
Score: 43–27 (max 59)

Round 9: Y L S E A N P D E
C1: DEPLANES (8)
C2: PLANED (6)
DC: ENDPLAYS (8)
Score: 51–27 (max 67)

ENDPLAY was defined as being a play in bridge whereby you lose a trick to force your opponents to lead back to you and it's an extremely elegant play in my opinion.

Round 10: 100, 3, 5, 7, 4, 6. Target: 436.
C1: 436.Mistake in working.
C2: 437.4*100 + 7*5 + 6/3 (7)
CV: 436. (100+6+3)*4 (10)
Score: 51–34 (max 77)

Teatime teaser: BERETNUT -> BRUNETTE

Round 11: H S N A I G T O S
C1: HOSTING (7)
C2: hostings
DC: Not asked.
OT: ASTONISH (8) AGONISTS (8) Martin Gardner STASHING (8) Joseph
Score: 58–34 (max 85)

Round 12: E O W M R O E T S
C1: REMOTES (7)
C2: REMOTES (7)
OT: TWOSOME (7) METEORS (7) EMOTERS (7)
Score: 65–41 (max 92)

Round 13: J T C I E N F A U
C1: ANTIC (5)
C2: FAUCET (6)
DC: INJECT (6)
OT: TUNICAE (7) UNIFACE (7)
Score: 65–47 (max 99)

TUNICAE is the plural of tunica which is an enclosing membrane or layer of tissue; UNIFACE comes from archaeology and is a unifacial stone tool.

Round 14: 75, 2, 3, 5, 5, 1. Target: 494.
C1: 494.(75-5)*(5+2)+3+1 (10)
C2: 480.
Score: 75–47 (max 109)

Round 15: L A C E D M I N I
C2 buzzes on 7 seconds to say MEDICINAL which is correct.
Score: 75–57 (max 119)

Johnathan was businesslike today and didn't hit the heights of his debut. As Craig pointed out he probably would have been leading by around 50 points had he just played it safe. Perhaps he went easy on his rather charming competitor. She was hilarious today and kept asking "is it my turn?" when prompted for numbers, you almost felt like asking the old dear if she actually knew where she was. When it was suggested that she should go on a cruise to America for her golden wedding anniversary she shouted at someone in the audience, "are you listening, Peter?" Peter is presumably her husband, or perhaps her gardener - who knows? Connie finished today's episode showing her gurning face with which she hopes to wow all at the next gurning championships. What a star she was today and it made for great viewing. This shouldn't detract from Johnathan's inching it ever more closely to octochampdom - well done, sir!

Further summaries are at:
http://www.thecountdowncorral.com/cd/se ... ?series=58
JasonCullen
Devotee

Re: Tuesday, June 3rd (Series 58: Game 106)

Post by JasonCullen »

Connie finished today's episode showing her gurning face with which she hopes to wow all at the next gurning championships. What a star she was today and it made for great viewing. This shouldn't detract from Johnathan's inching it ever more closely to octochampdom - well done, sir!
I was in the audience for this match again and I was so disappointed they edited out something. When Des asked sweet Connie to show her gurning face, she did, but, then everyone pulled gurning faces (Des, Carol, Ricky and even Susie!) but they did not show it for some reason. It was rather funny :lol: . Plus, in round 11, Susie did actually spot ASTONISH but they erased that too. But overall, it was a funny game to watch despite the relatively low scoring :)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

jasoncullen wrote:
Connie finished today's episode showing her gurning face with which she hopes to wow all at the next gurning championships. What a star she was today and it made for great viewing. This shouldn't detract from Johnathan's inching it ever more closely to octochampdom - well done, sir!
I was in the audience for this match again and I was so disappointed they edited out something. When Des asked sweet Connie to show her gurning face, she did, but, then everyone pulled gurning faces (Des, Carol, Ricky and even Susie!) but they did not show it for some reason. It was rather funny :lol: . Plus, in round 11, Susie did actually spot ASTONISH but they erased that too. But overall, it was a funny game to watch despite the relatively low scoring :)
What what was the joke that Carol told the audience before the programme started?
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

It was something like this but probably not exact. A woman went to her doctor's saying she wanted bigger breasts so she could get a man. The doctor said that when you see a man you like, flap your arms like a chicken and your boobs will inflate! So everytime she saw a gorgeous guy she would flap her arms and her jugs grew larger. But when she did this to one guy, he mimicked her and also flapped his arms like a chicken to make something of his bigger :? Then the woman said to the guy...Do you think we have the same doctor?!

Not really a joke ideal for daytime viewing :P
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I've heard Carol tell that one as well.

In short, the woman wants breast enhancement surgery but when she goes to the doctor she can only afford the cheap inflatable version. The doctor tells her simply to flap her arms to inflate her breasts at any time. That evening she decides to try them out. She sees this gorgeous man in a bar and decides to go talk to him. She flaps her arms as she walks up to him and says, "Do you come here often?" and the man replies flapping his knees together "No but I think we have the same doctor." :o How rude Ms Vorderman!
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

dinos_the_chemist wrote:I've heard Carol tell that one as well.

In short, the woman wants breast enhancement surgery but when she goes to the doctor she can only afford the cheap inflatable version. The doctor tells her simply to flap her arms to inflate her breasts at any time. That evening she decides to try them out. She sees this gorgeous man in a bar and decides to go talk to him. She flaps her arms as she walks up to him and says, "Do you come here often?" and the man replies flapping his knees together "No but I think we have the same doctor." :o How rude Ms Vorderman!
I knew it was something like that Dinos :lol: . I think I was only half listening cos she does chat on a bit like when she says, "Have I told about that before?" when talking about flying with the Red Arrows. Wippee! :P