The Future Of Recaps

Round-by-round summaries of every game in recent series; for every series in the last 5 years, try cdb, the Countdown database. Obviously this forum contains spoilers!

Moderator: James Robinson

Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

The Future Of Recaps

Post by Anthony Endsor »

It probably hasn't gone without notice that Friday recaps haven't been done in recent weeks. I have been meaning to catch up for weeks, and for one reason or another haven't had the chance to do so, for which I sincerely apologise.
I think part of the reason why I haven't caught up has been a slight loss of interest in doing the job. Much as I have enjoyed doing the recaps over the last 2 or 3 years, I feel maybe the time has come to step down from the Friday recap slot. I have still got all the Friday shows on Skyplus that haven't yet been recapped, and I will do my best to catch up with them in due course. I am also happy to continue until the end of this current series. However, from the New Year I feel it would be a good idea to give someone else the chance to take over.
I'm sure all applications will be carefully considered by the recap management :) and hopefully a willing and able successor will be appointed in due course. :)
I will still be happy to deputise on occasion so feel free to ask me whenever required. :)
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Re: The Future Of Recaps

Post by Euan Slatter »

I would step up, but am not sure what it entails, and whether or not I will watch it every single week
COUNTDOWN or THE TUBE? Which is better? There's only one way to find out....

Call it a draw :)

Robins Till I Die
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Tbf though, nobody's written any recaps for several weeks. Might be worth having a full review of the situation
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

James Laverty wrote:Tbf though, nobody's written any recaps for several weeks. Might be worth having a full review of the situation
If we were able to do all the recaps dating back to 1983 or whatever we can do the last few weeks. I volunteer for a few.
cheers maus
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Thomas Carey wrote:
James Laverty wrote:Tbf though, nobody's written any recaps for several weeks. Might be worth having a full review of the situation
If we were able to do all the recaps dating back to 1983 or whatever we can do the last few weeks. I volunteer for a few.
Hi,

I've been well behind with the show, and am only just catching up now. Unfortunately, my laptop has decided to pack in, meaning I can't do any for now..., but I have still all the episodes on my Sky+ box, so if anyone wants to do them, I can provide the extra info you need, from missing DC words, player info, etc.

So, if anyone wants to do any of mine, please do and I'll try and help out where I can.

You can still get in touch with me by the usual methods, either on here on Facebook/Messenger. ;) :) :D
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

Do we need recaps when we have the Apterous wiki? Seems a lot of work for little gain. Maybe instead more meat can go in the spoilers thread each day, so as well as people posting DC beaters and alt numbers as they do now, some irreverent commentary can be added afterwards?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Martin Hurst wrote:Do we need recaps when we have the Apterous wiki? Seems a lot of work for little gain. Maybe instead more meat can go in the spoilers thread each day, so as well as people posting DC beaters and alt numbers as they do now, some irreverent commentary can be added afterwards?
Spoilers threads tend to vary a lot in how much about a game comes out. Also, I don't think the Wiki recaps even put all the DC words in - they only get mentioned if they're the max.
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Martin Hurst wrote:Do we need recaps when we have the Apterous wiki? Seems a lot of work for little gain. Maybe instead more meat can go in the spoilers thread each day, so as well as people posting DC beaters and alt numbers as they do now, some irreverent commentary can be added afterwards?
Spoilers threads tend to vary a lot in how much about a game comes out. Also, I don't think the Wiki recaps even put all the DC words in - they only get mentioned if they're the max.
Is formally documenting the words DC say important to people then? (not a dig - just a question!)

To me, it just doesn't seem very efficient/user-friendly to have information about the same show in 3 places (spoiler thread, recap on here, and on Wiki recap) - I would just have one thread per show which would link to the wiki recap (when updated), and then any other commentary/pre-wiki update DC beaters are all neatly in one place. Just my opinion though. Either way, the current recap process doesn't seem to work. Maybe a few ideas could be come up with and each one trialled?
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

To me, it just doesn't seem very efficient/user-friendly to have information about the same show in 3 places (spoiler thread, recap on here, and on Wiki recap) - I would just have one thread per show which would link to the wiki recap (when updated), and then any other commentary/pre-wiki update DC beaters are all neatly in one place. Just my opinion though. Either way, the current recap process doesn't seem to work. Maybe a few ideas could be come up with and each one trialled?
Thought this for a while. I guess part of the issue with irreverent commentary in the spoilers thread is that, daft as it sounds, it can get construed more as a bitch than if it's in the context of a recap from someone who has a consistent tone. I know from providing irreverent commentaries on things on Twitter, that if someone sees a tweet as a one-off, they can think you're a prick. However if they see several of them, they can KNOW you're a pri-... I mean they can see that it's just a playful running thing.

That said, I did enjoy reading the recaps of my games back, so perhaps it's kind of a pleasant rite of passage or something.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

The state of this subforum :(
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

I's be happy to do some recaps, though it appears that this subforum has long since ended :(
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:10 pm I's be happy to do some recaps, though it appears that this subforum has long since ended :(
I would suggest that all positions are up for grabs so you wouldn't be treading on any toes.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:10 pm I's be happy to do some recaps, though it appears that this subforum has long since ended :(
Reckon there'd be enough interest to do them daily once we get up to date, so yeah go for it. Remember, we managed to do about 20 years of backtracking once, we can do a few months.
cheers maus
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

It's good to see James Robinson coming to the rescue and quietly nailing these old recaps.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:57 pm It's good to see James Robinson coming to the rescue and quietly nailing these old recaps.
I sort of feel it's my moral obligation to do it. ;) :) :D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Robinson wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:08 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:57 pm It's good to see James Robinson coming to the rescue and quietly nailing these old recaps.
I sort of feel it's my moral obligation to do it. ;) :) :D
It's much appreciated anyway.