Tuesday 12 November 2013 (Series 69, Prelim 90)

Round-by-round summaries of every game in recent series; for every series in the last 5 years, try cdb, the Countdown database. Obviously this forum contains spoilers!

Moderator: James Robinson

Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Tuesday 12 November 2013 (Series 69, Prelim 90)

Post by Jack Worsley »

Countdown recap for Tuesday 12 November 2013.

Today's a big day as far as Series 69 is concerned, with the recording of the finals beginning. Well, at least that was the case when the episode was broadcast, apologies for the extreme lateness! :( The quality of this series has been staggering and you have to be really good to make the finals. Let's see if either of today's contestants have what it takes as in the meantime, there are still plenty of shows to hit our screens before the potentially amazing climax to a wonderful series.

C1: Champion Sarah Taylor (3 wins, 302 points) is looking strong on three wins and averaging just over 100 points per game. She likes scores ending in 4, as so far she has scored 84, 104 and 114. She's a solicitor from Lancaster and we suspect that she's been on the show before under the name Sarah Hadaway in 1984.
C2: Challenger Russell Secker is a retired computer programmer from Roydon in Essex. He lives with his wife Clare on a yellow lab and also has three children and three grandchildren, who do not live on the lab.
DC: Susie Dent and Alistair McGowan.
RR: Rachel Riley.
OT: Other words or solutions.

R01: N R L R E I A F K
R02: H S N I O U W D R
R03: 25, 8, 2, 7, 9, 6. Target: 487.
TTT: ELDERCAD - "I don't wish to bat anymore, he announced."
R04: N X T A O D P T U
R05: P M D S E A I H R
R06: 100, 2, 5, 8, 3, 2. Target: 480.
R07: J S R Z A U O E G
R08: S B N T I E G L A
R09: 75, 10, 10, 5, 4, 2. Target: 597.
TTT: MINDGEAR - "The gears of your mind keep turning while you sleep."
R10: E A S R P G O M D
R11: N R N T E I E R P
R12: O T R D I A N T S
R13: L D T F U O A H O
R14: 25, 2, 5, 10, 3, 5. Target: 649.
R15: S E M I G R U N T (conundrum)

And now a brief interlude before our main feature:

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Enjoy the show.

Round 1: N R L R E I A F K

C1: LANKIER (7)
C2: FRAILER (7)
DC: FLANKER (7)
OT: FLAKIER (7) FRANKER (7) NARKIER (7) REFRAIN (7)
Score: 7–7 (max 7)

Plenty of sevens to choose one so everyone gets off to a good start.

Round 2: H S N I O U W D R

C1: ROUNDISH (8)
C2: SOUND (5)
DC: NOURISH (7) windsor
Score: 15–7 (max 15)

Sarah probably didn't need to take that risk after Russell declared five so it's just as well that it pays off and it even has DC beaten. Superb spot.

Round 3: 25, 8, 2, 7, 9, 6. Target: 487.

C1: 493 X
C2: -
RR: 487. 8 x 2 x (25 + 6) - 9 (10)
Score: 15–7 (max 25)

An awkward one large appears, causing Russell to blank completely and Sarah to declare six away, only to realise she's made a mistake almost immediately. No change to the scores then.

Teatime teaser: ELDERCAD -> DECLARED

Round 4: N X T A O D P T U

C1: POUND (5)
C2: DAUNT (5)
DC: ADOPT (5)
OT: DOPANT (6) OPTANT (6)
Score: 20–12 (max 31)

Just two sixes in this nasty selection and no one discovers either of them.

Round 5: P M D S E A I H R

C1: SHADIER (7)
C2: SHADIER (7)
DC: PHRASED (7) PRAISED (7) SHRIMPED (8) SERAPHIM (8)
OT: MISHEARD (8) RAPHIDES (8) SAMPHIRE (8)
Score: 27–19 (max 39)

The contestants are both SHADIER in this round but there were a few eights about, a couple of which were found by the corner.

Round 6: 100, 2, 5, 8, 3, 2. Target: 480.

C1: 480. 5 x 100 - (8 x 3 - 2 - 2) (10)
C2: 480. 5 x 100 - (8 x 3 - 2 - 2) (10)
Score: 37–29 (max 49)

Much nicer than the last numbers game but Sarah doesn't have time to write her method down. Spotting it in time is the important thing though and it's enough to maintain her lead.

Alistair attempts some impressions of some politicians.

Round 7: J S R Z A U O E G

C1: GRAZES (6)
C2: ROGUES (6)
DC: GAUZES X AROUSE (6)
OT: ARGUES (6) AUGERS (6) AZURES (6) GAZERS (6) GOURAS (6) GROSZE (6) GROUSE (6) ROUGES (6) RUGOSA (6) RUGOSE (6) SAUGER (6)
Score: 43–35 (max 55)

Extreme flatness in this round. Alistair claims to have GAUZES^ but although Susie doesn't comment, it's invalid, or at least it is on apterous. I'm not sure whether fabrics listed as mass nouns can be pluralised but I don't thing Susie would allow it.

Round 8: S B N T I E G L A

C1: BLEATINGS (18)
C2: BLEATINGS (18)
OT: TANGIBLES (18)
Score: 61–53 (max 73)

Well, this is interesting to say the least! Just over five months after the same word was controversially disallowed late in Series 68, BLEATINGS is accepted this time. Rightly so this time in my view but spare a thought for Chris Ball and Mill Pritchard. I wonder what they made of it if they were watching. If the team are reading this, please do something to stop these inconsistent decisions on what's allowed and what's not! As a contestant, you can always avoid needing to risk BLEATINGS by going for the safer TANGIBLES. Anyway, back to the game and those 18 points apiece have boosted the scores nicely.

Round 9: 75, 10, 10, 5, 4, 2. Target: 597.

C1: 598. (10 - 2) x 75 - 10/5 (7)
C2: 596. (10 - 2) x 75 - 4 (7)
RR: 597. (75 x 4 + 10/10) x 2 - 5 (10)
Score: 68–60 (max 83)

One away's not too tricky as Sarah and Russell manage it in opposite directions. Rachel achieves perfection, surprise, surprise.

Teatime teaser: MINDGEAR -> DREAMING

Round 10: E A S R P G O M D

C1: GRAPES (6)
C2: GRASPED (7)
DC: DAMPERS (7) ORGASMED (8)
Score: 68–67 (max 91)

A slip by Sarah allows Russell to close the gap to a solitary point with GRASPED. DC spot the slightly amusing darren which brings back memories of the Series 63 final.

Round 11: N R N T E I E R P

C1: PRINTER (7)
C2: REINTERN X
DC: REPRINT (7) TERRINE (7)
OT: ENPRINT (7) INTERNE (7) REINTER (7) RENTIER (7)
Score: 75–67 (max 98)

Russell's attempt to snatch the lead backfires as you can't REINTERN^. There were just a few sevens available.

OoW: Susie thrills us as ever by outlining the origins of some surnames of current leading political figures.

Round 12: O T R D I A N T S

C1: RATIONS (7)
C2: DORINTS X
DC: ADROIT (6) DISTORT (7) STRONTIA (8)
OT: INTRADOS (8)
Score: 82–67 (max 106)

Russell's risky nature costs him again as I'm sure he was thinking of the Hungarian currency FORINTS but DORINTS is just complete sloblock unfortunately. Sarah has a little breathing space now as the gap is extended into double figures for the first time all game. It's not over yet though.

Round 13: L D T F U O A H O

C1: FLOOD (5)
C2: HOLDOUT (7)
DC: HATFUL (6)
Score: 82–74 (max 113)

Unfazed by his previous two unsuccessful efforts, Russell decides to gamble again, which is understandable given the scoreline. It's third time lucky for him as HOLDOUT is a brilliant darren and gets him back to within conundrum-striking distance of Sarah.

Round 14: 25, 2, 5, 10, 3, 5. Target: 649.

C1: 649 X
C2: 649. (10 + 3) x 2 x 25 - 5/5 (10)
Score: 82–84 (max 123)

It's amazing how quickly a game of Countdown can change. Sarah messes up her method so Russell has stolen the lead for the first time today at a very crucial stage of the game. He just needs to hold out for one more round but he should be warned that Sarah has solved all three of her conundrums so far. She needs to make it four out of four to keep her place in the champion's chair. Who's your money on?

Round 15: S E M I G R U N T

C2 buzzes on 11.75 seconds to say MUSTERING which is correct.
Final Score: 82–94 (max 133)

It's Russell who takes the honours as he manages to muster enough to solve the conundrum and make him the new champion. Sarah's been a fairly strong player over her four games, as well as being quite fun to watch but sadly her three wins and 384 points won't be enough to get her into the finals. Russell will begin his defence tomorrow so join Robbo when he eventually gets back from seeing the finals recorded. I'll hopefully see some of you there and until next time, take care! :D

Further summaries are at:
http://cdb.apterous.org/series.php?series=69