Pancake Day

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Pancake Day

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Apparently there are actually people out there who have a "proper" main course and just have pancakes for pudding. I take it no-one here does that.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Pancake Day

Post by Matt Morrison »

You won't find anyone so weird on a Countdown forum, I'm fairly sure.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Not only did I have pancakes as a dessert (I have lemon and sugar in them ffs, what else would it be?), I had them on Monday night instead.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:Not only did I have pancakes as a dessert (I have lemon and sugar in them ffs, what else would it be?), I had them on Monday night instead.
I suppose you're one of these dickheads that's like "Ooh I've got to eat a sensible meal first. I can't just have pancakes. It'not a balanced diet."

Well I hope you enjoyed your minced horse.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Not only did I have pancakes as a dessert (I have lemon and sugar in them ffs, what else would it be?), I had them on Monday night instead.
I suppose you're one of these dickheads that's like "Ooh I've got to eat a sensible meal first. I can't just have pancakes. It'not a balanced diet."

It's more that I'd have to eat shitloads of pancakes to fill up, and I'd stop enjoying them after the 3rd or so. I know some people have savoury pancakes, but I've never tried that, and since I've somehow landed the job of chief pancake chef in my house, I'd rather do as little as possible.
Nick Deller
Rookie

Post by Nick Deller »

Pancakes are wretched, duplicitous lying little skunks. You don't look at a nice Victoria sponge or choccy Swiss roll and say "Oh gosh... I'm going to have to shovel half a ton of sugar over this to make it even remotely edible", do you?

Never mind beef in lasagnes or pork in sausages, why isn't there an outcry about there being precisely 0% cake content in a pancake, eh?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Nick Deller wrote:Pancakes are wretched, duplicitous lying little skunks. You don't look at a nice Victoria sponge or choccy Swiss roll and say "Oh gosh... I'm going to have to shovel half a ton of sugar over this to make it even remotely edible", do you?

Never mind beef in lasagnes or pork in sausages, why isn't there an outcry about there being precisely 0% cake content in a pancake, eh?
Those other things have got sugar in already. It sounds like it's not pancakes you have a problem with but doing the work yourself
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:

It's more that I'd have to eat shitloads of pancakes to fill up, and I'd stop enjoying them after the 3rd or so. I know some people have savoury pancakes, but I've never tried that, and since I've somehow landed the job of chief pancake chef in my house, I'd rather do as little as possible.
Savoury pancakes don't count anyway.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Savoury pancakes don't count anyway.
So you just have sweet pancakes for dinner? How many? That just sounds revolting. I mean, I might enjoy a slice of cake for dessert, but I couldn't sit there and eat two gateaux (or gateaus if you're Jono) in lieu of a main meal. That's just rank.
Nick Deller
Rookie

Post by Nick Deller »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Nick Deller wrote:Pancakes are wretched, duplicitous lying little skunks. You don't look at a nice Victoria sponge or choccy Swiss roll and say "Oh gosh... I'm going to have to shovel half a ton of sugar over this to make it even remotely edible", do you?

Those other things have got sugar in already. It sounds like it's not pancakes you have a problem with but doing the work yourself
My problem is that they're not cake! Frankly they're barely even food and you'd get the same amount of gustatory delight from a piece of corrugated cardboard dunked in a glass of orange juice, but that's subsidiary to the basic fact that they ARE NOT CAKE.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon Corby wrote:
So you just have sweet pancakes for dinner? How many? That just sounds revolting. I mean, I might enjoy a slice of cake for dessert, but I couldn't sit there and eat two gateaux (or gateaus if you're Jono) in lieu of a main meal. That's just rank.
I don't see a problem with it. Although my waistline's been expanding at about 1/4" per year for quite a long time.

I had a cheese sandwich and some Angel Delight for tea last night.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:
I had about 10 yesterday. All sweet. Deal with it.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Nick Deller wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:

My problem is that they're not cake! Frankly they're barely even food and you'd get the same amount of gustatory delight from a piece of corrugated cardboard dunked in a glass of orange juice, but that's subsidiary to the basic fact that they ARE NOT CAKE.
Shampoo isn't poo.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Nick Deller wrote:but that's subsidiary to the basic fact that they ARE NOT CAKE.
I assume they are just called pancakes because they're very flat, as in "flat as a pancake".
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Nick's in for a shock if he's ever invited to eat sweetbread.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Another thing - I always think it sounds really odd when people call it "Pancake Tuesday". It's not Pancake Tuesday. It's Pancake Day or Shrove Tuesday, not Pancake Tuesday or Shrove Day.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Not for me, it was Pancake Monday.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Pancake Saturday here.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter