c4cecret santa 2012

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Ben Wilson
Legend

c4cecret santa 2012

Post by Ben Wilson »

Two years ago the Christmassy-minded participants of this forum had a secret santa- http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5712 - and it actually went rather well. So I'm proposing we do it again.

Basically, in order to be in, you just send me a pm saying 'IN!', 'HO HO HO!' or 'GIMME PRESSIES!' or the like. On the 10th of December I'll confirm whether or not we have enough people to go ahead with the secret santa or not (I reckon 10 at the very minimum), at which point I'll message everyone again asking for their home addresses (otherwise, like, you'll never receive your hard-earned pressy). On the 12th, a draw will be carried out by an independent non-participant (as I want in on the secret santa) and you'll find out who you have to buy for and where to send it to. We'll say as a guideline, a maximum spend of £5 per present.

All you have to do then is wait for your present to arrive in the post, unwrap it on Christmas Day and post in here what a lovely surprise you received from an anonymous member of such an awesome community. :)

Any questions? Feel free to ask.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Re: c4cecret santa 2012

Post by Ben Wilson »

We've got seven cool people signed up so far, so just 3 more and this will officially become a 'thing'. Just 3 more! You have it within you to truly make someone's Christmas (that little bit nerdier). You know what you need to do. :)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

We've got 9 signed up for this now so I figure that's close enough. Closing time is today at 6pm, after which you'll receive a pm from c4c's very own Santa (the identity of whom shall remain a secret for now). Obviously, those taking part will need to send me your home addresses as well.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Everybody participating should have received a private message from the fat, bearded guy himself asking for addresses. :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ben Wilson wrote:Everybody participating should have received a private message from the fat, bearded guy himself asking for addresses. :)
The real Santa already knows my address. This smells like a fucking scam to me.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Oooh! My C4cecret Santa pressie arrived today. In fact, it is three pressies! How lovely! Although I'm not too sure about the comment on the envelope that says 'Ooooo you could grab some of my DNA from my saliva on this envelope'! But the comments inside made me smile. I do have some suspicions about who it might be!

(N.B. Presents will not be opened until Christmas Day)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

(Thank you for these Scrabble fridge magnets Santa).

Mine was addressed to Rychelle and was wrapped very nicely (although I suspect Amazon wrapped it). I opened them on Skype with Michelle and we both can't wait until we have a place of our own for them to be a part of it. Michelle did already have a set of them too but no longer does so it's quite the perfect gift! They are all on my fridge now and so far I've wrote "YOU SMELL" and then my mum decided to play "STINK" off the 'S' and then my brother just wrote "CUNT". Good fun!

I know not everyone will have their Secret Santa gifts by Christmas Day due to it being quite a short time to get something sorted so I look forward to seeing what everybody else has got in the coming days/weeks! Happy Christmas to all c4cers/apterites/Countdown freaks. :D
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Someone sent me a photo montage of me and Carl Williams. If that person owns up to it now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

I'm not sure which of the above 2 comments make me chuckle more...

wish I'd known this was occurring. Must check these forums more.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

www.nebagram.co.uk/c4cecretsanta.jpg

Cartoons & mostly naked women. Pretty chuffed with this. :)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Good standard of presents so far. Santa hasn't been for me :(
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Actually I suppose there's no guarantee that that montage came from c4c. But still. I'm blaming Morricock.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Mark Deeks wrote:Actually I suppose there's no guarantee that that montage came from c4c. But still. I'm blaming Morricock.
Pix?
Michelle Nevitt

Post by Michelle Nevitt »

Thank you very much to my secret Santa for my lovely mug and Countdown books. The books will keep me occupied on my many train journeys to Hull and the wee guy on the mug reminded of Ryan. :) I'd put a picture on but I am a little fool and I don't know how to. :(
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Dear C4crecret Santa,
Thank you very much for my lovely pressies - all of which were most appropriate.
I was a little hurt, however, by the entry on 4th May in the diary, which read 'Leeds Utd once again fail to get promotion to the Premiership'! :cry:
But I was cheered by your conviction that I will shortly be receiving my 5000th Apterous pencil and am thrilled with my gold pencil!
Karen x
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Thanks for my card Santa! Nobody was in to collect the gift, which the postman left described on the collection card thing as "TUBE" which sounds very exciting.. I love tubes!
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Thanks for my card Santa! Nobody was in to collect the gift, which the postman left described on the collection card thing as "TUBE" which sounds very exciting.. I love tubes!
Turns out it was exciting! I got this poster:

This is great for a number of reasons:

1) Nice looking poster
2) I love Tarantino
3) I had no idea he had a new film coming, which I can now get excited about for a few weeks!

There was also a racist aspect to my Santa's offering:

Anyway thanks whoever you are!
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Only 6 gifts mentioned so far. I thought there were 9 or 10 participants. What did the rest of you receive?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

And only three sets of photos!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Karen Pearson wrote:Only 6 gifts mentioned so far. I thought there were 9 or 10 participants. What did the rest of you receive?
Nine, actually- will post full list of participants if no more photos are forthcoming but I know a couple have put their pressies on the facebooks.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Mine's proving very difficult to photograph. Just trust me that it's unique.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

Thank you very much, C4 Secret Santa, for my Sex, Sleep or Scrabble? book, by Phil Hammond. That title includes two of my favourite things ;)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

My Secret Santa present finally arrived on SATURDAY:

ImageImage

Since this was either down to laziness (not getting the gift mailed in time), or cheapness (not choosing a faster but more expensive delivery option) I began to hastily thumb through it looking for the perfect cutting remarks to express my anger. It was then that I noticed the beautifully embossed comeback on the back cover, realised it was probably a reference to this post and that therefore my secret santa was actually a huge fan who knew all my posting history off by heart, and had put a lot of thought and effort into finding such a personalised gift.

If it was a coincidence, you got fucking lucky.

Merry Christmas!