Forum or mailing list?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Should we go back to a mailing list?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:39 am

Go back to mailing list
24%
Stick with forum
76%

Total votes: 17

Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Forum or mailing list?

Post by Jon Corby »

Well we've given it a good go, but the new forum doesn't really seem to be working out. There are hardly any posts at all. So the question is - is it now time to go back to the old, successful mailing list?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Forum or mailing list?

Post by Charlie Reams »

Haha. I wouldn't be surprised if some people signed up for the forum just to vote against it.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Is the Yahoo group still going to be "live" (but abandoned), or will you shut it down?
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I suggest at the very least it should be kept live, with a link to here.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

:lol: at your location Howard :)
robertgmam

Post by robertgmam »

Charlie Reams wrote:Haha. I wouldn't be surprised if some people signed up for the forum just to vote against it.
Tempting, but I think we should give it a go. I fear the 'downside' will be the amount of time spent sat in front of these darn PCs as we get sucked in to it!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

robertgmam wrote:I fear the 'downside' will be the amount of time spent sat in front of these darn PCs as we get sucked in to it!
I know that feeling. I remember getting addicted to a previous forum, but that was only because they added an arcade feature so I only went in to play the games. I had 160 first-place wins, until I got banned.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Lol Joseph.

But I think a link on the old c4countdown to this site would be good.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

metalized_deionizer wrote:Lol Joseph.
It gets funnier (possibly). I got banned because I created a 2nd user which I used to challenge my other user to games in order to increase my win score. The person who banned me, also had created 2 users. One of them was herself and the other was for her DOG.

There was also a sub-forum named after the dog, where she would sign in, in the dog's name and post stuff in the dogs perspective. So basically you could read what the dog got up to, from HIS point of view (if that makes sense).
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

JBolas wrote:
It gets funnier (possibly). I got banned because I created a 2nd user which I used to challenge my other user to games in order to increase my win score. The person who banned me, also had created 2 users. One of them was herself and the other was for her DOG.

There was also a sub-forum named after the dog, where she would sign in, in the dog's name and post stuff in the dogs perspective. So basically you could read what the dog got up to, from HIS point of view (if that makes sense).
That sounds rather bizarre. Which forum was this?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

metalized_deionizer wrote:
JBolas wrote:

That sounds rather bizarre. Which forum was this?
Its an online riddle site thingy called Mystery Quest:

http://mystery-quest.com/
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Thanks for that.

Also, I think it might be a good idea to have the colour scheme and layout as close to the original mailing list as possible, just for ease of conversion.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I did consider giving it more of a purple-and-pink tint but it's a huge amount of work to convert all the graphics, and having a website that looks similar but behaves differently might be more confusing. That said, if you want to have a go then I can send you the graphics.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

There's people much better than me at the graphics, I'd most likely fuck it up. I'm not really qualified either, unless you count a U in GCSE DT Graphics.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I like it the way it is to be honest, just don't add an arcade to it :lol:.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

metalized_deionizer wrote:There's people much better than me at the graphics, I'd most likely fuck it up. I'm not really qualified either, unless you count a U in GCSE DT Graphics.

Where's Philpot when you need him, eh? :)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Basically the only things missing that I would like to see (not because they're missing from the mailing list days, but because I'm a bit greedy) are Quick Responses, where instead of loading a new page to respond you can just type it in.. I think it's a vBulletin thing but maybe there is a mod or something.. and changing the number of posts to display per page. Haveing said that, I haven't had a thoroguh look so if they are already possible then I'm sorry.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Yeah there probably is a mod for quick response. I've increased the number of posts per page to 30 and will increase it again if a lot of threads go above that length. I don't really like separate pages because you have to remember which one you've read up to, but there has to be some limit for the benefit of people on slow connections.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

I say we keep the forum.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jimmy wrote:I say we keep the forum.
Hehe, if you look I started this thread approximately 3 minutes after signing up, on the morning after Charlie gave us all the link :)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Apparently I voted for go back.