C4cecret Santa 2011

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Josh Hurst
Enthusiast

C4cecret Santa 2011

Post by Josh Hurst »

Hey Peeps.

Due to the reasonable success of last year’s effort, it seems a good idea to run C4cecret Santa this year.
I’m under the impression that last year’s participants do not know the identity of their present givers? If so, I’m pleased that it has remained a mystery for almost a year. However, I think you should all know that the winner (as judged by me) was…… THE PERSON WHO GAVE JAMES ROBINSON HIS STUFF!!!!! Well done Sir/Madam (the point where some people may say to themselves, “I didn’t think that Mikki entered C4Cecret Santa last year?”).
Right, now on to the format for this year. The budget is the same as last year, between AU$7.97 to AU$15.95 (excluding P&P). If you really like the person you are assigned, feel free to spend more… although this may cause you to be disqualified from the competition. Yeah that’s right, this shit is a competition… not for fun!!! Anyone wanting to have fun whilst participating in this should leave IMMEDIATELY, or seek an alternative forum… I’ve heard that there are some good ones around.
Anyway, following is the schedule. I have mainly just copied and pasted it from last year’s thread, although I have made a few amendments. Apologies if it makes for stilted reading, but I can be arsed changing it too much.

1. PM me with the subject title “Who who who!” (like “ho ho ho”… geddit?) by 7pm Thursday 8th December let me know whether you’d like to take part.

2. I’ll message on here soon after the deadline saying how many people (but not who, to make it even more C4cecretive) want to take part, and confirm whether the idea is actually going ahead or not, based on the amount of interest.

3. Message me your home address by 7pm on Sunday 11th December to confirm that you are taking part. This should give everyone enough time to have checked the thread and see whether it’s going ahead. Any longer and we’d risk people not getting their presents in time.

4. I’ll perform “the draw” with an independent adjudicator (probably the blow-up first aid doll I received the other day, seeing as I’m the loneliest person in the World these days) present after 7pm on Sunday Dec 11th.

5. I’ll send PMs to all those involved, with the name and address of the person to whom they will send a gift, shortly after the draw has taken place. If there are a lot of people, this may take me a while (like an hour or so because I’m really unskilled at typing and shit), but you should all have PMs with who your recipient is by late Sunday evening.

6. Go out and purchase a gift in the price range of £5-£10, depending on how generous you are (remember you’ll be receiving one of comparable value! Also remember that you’ll have to pay postage too, so unless you wanna be a mega big spender, get something small). Handmade gifts are also welcome, but they can’t be shit. You may also want to check the photos from last year’s event, as duplicates would be LAME!

7. Send said gift in the post with sufficient time for it to arrive before 25th December. This is the key factor really. Don’t enter if you don’t think you’ll be able to go and get a good gift and send it within a few days. Enclose a note too, just so that the recipient knows that it’s part of the "C4cecret Santa gifts for the lonely" charity.

8. Mail me when you’ve sent your gift, just so that I know how it’s all going.

9. Receive your presents before 25th December.

10. 25th December, 6.30am. Run downstairs (or across the corridor if you’re like Ben and live in a bungalow or flat) and open your “C4cecret Santa” present before all others. Take a picture immediately and post it on here. This may prove difficult for some people, as I myself don’t even know how to post pictures on here despite using the forum for a few years (but I am the stoopid brother after all). I’m sure you’ll all find somehow between now and then.

11. Look at the pictures of the presents that everyone received, and laugh whilst stuffing your faces with dry, limp meat.

12. Eat your Christmas dinner, spend some time with humans, and don’t mention this to anyone outside of the Countdown realm (They’ll think you’re even more pathetic than they do now, as your only gift will be from someone from the internet who slagged you off/you slagged off on a C4cecret forum).

Obviously, I don’t actually expect you to open the Countdown C4cecret Santa gifts first, and I ESPECIALLY don’t expect you to upload pictures on here on Christmas day. But the aim is to be able to see all the gifts dished out and probably do some sort of poll on who received the best gift. The sender of this gift will then be announced as the Winner of C4cecret Santa 2011, and they can then organise it next year, if they are comfortable with doing so (I forgot to do the poll last year, so the winner is still a mystery, soz!). We’ll probably do a poll of worst gift, and the sender will be banned from future C4cecret Santa events (DAMN, so annoyed that I forgot this poll). Also, with the weather being what it is atm, it’s unlikely that all gifts will arrive on time, so we’ll have to be a bit patient I imagine (yeah, like I know or care what the weather is actually like there right now!).

Some people will clearly feel uneasy about giving their address to me, and then me sending it on to another. If you are at all concerned, I advise that you just don’t bother taking part. If some people want to take part who to my knowledge have had conflicts with others who want to take part (SANCTUMGATE REFERENCE FROM WHEN ALL THE SHIT HIT LAST YEAR, LOL!), then I’ll make sure that those people will not be sending gifts to each other, so won’t know each others addresses.

I don’t want to be patronising here, but everyone taking part should be aware that they will be giving away their address to a stranger. This whole concept is based on trust. I’d like to think that with everything that’s happened on here recently (last year shit again), we can use something like this to reconcile our differences and do something nice for each other (eurgh, it’s really cringeworthy reading this back). If you do want to take part, please don’t send horrible or offensive gifts unless you really think you understand the sense of humour of your recipient. If you do behave irresponsibly, be aware that I’ll know who you are, and I’ll have your address (that isn’t a forewarning of a potential death threat btw) (I think that was a Meakin reference). I’m sure that nothing bad is going to happen, and it’s all going to be friendly and fun for everyone involved.

SO, over to you guys.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Re: C4cecret Santa 2011

Post by Karen Pearson »

Josh Hurst wrote:The sender of this gift will then be announced as the Winner of C4cecret Santa 2011, and they can then organise it next year
Glad to see you're running this again Josh. I think it was a great success last year. I'm a bit worried that people might see this bit above as an incentive to send really crap presents though! ;)
Josh Hurst
Enthusiast

Post by Josh Hurst »

Karen Pearson wrote:
Josh Hurst wrote:The sender of this gift will then be announced as the Winner of C4cecret Santa 2011, and they can then organise it next year
Glad to see you're running this again Josh. I think it was a great success last year. I'm a bit worried that people might see this bit above as an incentive to send really crap presents though! ;)
Ha. Only if they want to, Karen. I'll do it if not, or find someone else willing to do so. I'm sure there'd be a few people willing to do it.
Josh Hurst
Enthusiast

Post by Josh Hurst »

Wow, looks like C4cecret Santa may be the best one yet!!!! Sign up guys, you do NOT want to miss this one.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Don't forget if you're under 16 you should probably ask the bill payer's permission. I'm sure your wrinklies would want to know if someone you knew off the internet was sending you a framed photo of their latest shag as a Christmas present.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Hmm, tempting for a laugh.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Volante wrote:Hmm, tempting for a laugh.
More like "tempting for a graph" with all these geeks!! WHat what!!!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:Hmm, tempting for a laugh.
More like "tempting for a graph" with all these geeks!! WHat what!!!
Ho ho!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Josh Hurst
Enthusiast

Post by Josh Hurst »

Keep on signing up guyssssss!!!
Josh Hurst
Enthusiast

Post by Josh Hurst »

Last opportunity to sign up guys. There really aren't that many people interested so far, so I hope some of you come through and sign up today. PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE... spread some joy by giving a bunch of internet weirdos a crappy gift. It will make the World a much better place. Actually, I heard for every one of you who doesn't sign up, 174 children in Africa will die on Christmas day... consider that when you read this message and don't sign up, you bastards!
Josh Hurst
Enthusiast

Post by Josh Hurst »

Ok, so you're all bastards (apart from 7 of you). I think this is an insufficient number to make running it worthwhile. To those who decided to not kill African children on Christmas day, sorry guys... your fellow forumites have let you down.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Josh Hurst wrote:Wow, looks like C4cecret Santa may be the best one yet!!!! Sign up guys, you do NOT want to miss this one.
Was this just QVC style "limited stock remaining" type bullshit then? :(
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I'll come in if a couple more do.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Jon Corby wrote:
Josh Hurst wrote:Wow, looks like C4cecret Santa may be the best one yet!!!! Sign up guys, you do NOT want to miss this one.
Clearly the best 7 people on the forum had already signed up at this point. Just to state the bleedin' obvious, it's kinda the thing where you don't go RIGHT THEN MATEY BOYS I'M UP FOR IT! publicly*. If you're up, sign up!

*Good advice in any situation, come to that.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Lesley Hines wrote: Clearly the best 7 people on the forum had already signed up at this point.
The ones with a heart and a sense of the spirit of Christmas!

I'd already bought a present (only part of the total - as I didn't know who I was going to get)! I might have to donate it as a prize at a Co Event if I can't get shot of it this way!
Josh Hurst
Enthusiast

Post by Josh Hurst »

Jon Corby wrote:
Yes, that's exactly what it was.

While we're on the subject has anyone ever seen home shopping bacon? That's good shit.