Ideas

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Ideas

Post by Jon Corby »

I've just written to Kleenex.

Current tissue box technology has made getting tissues easier than ever before - the next tissue pops out a little flap in the top when you take one. You no longer have to reach into the box, or pick it up or anything to get at the tissues. Which is great. Unfortunately, it also means there is pretty much no difference between taking the first tissue from the box and the last - and I constantly find that I'm surprised and irritated to find my tissue box is empty, and now I've got to sit at my desk for hours with snot streaming down my face before I can go out and get a new one.

So anyway, my idea is that you should have some warning when the box is running low. Tissues with some symbol or message on them, change in colour, anything.

Please tell me about ideas you have or have had, and if, like me, you've been mentally unstable/bored enough to actually write to a manufacturer.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Re: Ideas

Post by Julie T »

I get excema inside my ear, but no over the counter eardrops/lotions/potions seem to ease the itch. I was even recommended olive oil, but that didn't work either.

So, what happens is, eventually it gets so itchy I have to scratch, so it gets infected, so I get an antibiotic ear spray prescription from the doctor.

Now, the itch goes almost straight away with this spray, i.e. it's not just clearing the infection as it happens too quickly for that. I keep meaning to write to the manufacturers to float the idea that they market an over the counter version without the antibiotic ingredients, but with the anti-itching ingredients,

BTW, after many years running a household, I find that the easiest way not to run out of things is to replace them when you start the last one, not wait till it's nearly finished. Hope you're soon over your cold. My eldest son and my daughter are still recovering from a stinker of a bug.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Julie T wrote:BTW, after many years running a household, I find that the easiest way not to run out of things is to replace them when you start the last one, not wait till it's nearly finished.
Yeah, it's mainly my desk at work though, and I have precious little room as it is without having two of everything.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon Corby wrote:I've just written to Kleenex.

Current tissue box technology has made getting tissues easier than ever before - the next tissue pops out a little flap in the top when you take one. You no longer have to reach into the box, or pick it up or anything to get at the tissues. Which is great. Unfortunately, it also means there is pretty much no difference between taking the first tissue from the box and the last - and I constantly find that I'm surprised and irritated to find my tissue box is empty, and now I've got to sit at my desk for hours with snot streaming down my face before I can go out and get a new one.

So anyway, my idea is that you should have some warning when the box is running low. Tissues with some symbol or message on them, change in colour, anything.

Please tell me about ideas you have or have had, and if, like me, you've been mentally unstable/bored enough to actually write to a manufacturer.
They have this with Rizlas. It's a good idea for tissues too.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I've always found that, when trying to get golden syrup onto porridge, you end up with a tiny dribble of syrup between syrup jar and porridge bowl. (If you use a spoon, I mean. You can sit there waiting for it to stop dribbling but that takes FOREVER, and even then there will always be this tiny thin dribble.) Obviously you could use one of those squeezy bottles, but I don't think that really resolves the issue - you still end up with a little dribble at the end.

So what they should clearly make is golden syrup balls like the things you get for clothes washing, where you have a dissolvable container for an amount of syrup that you can just pop in the porridge. I wrote to some syrup manufacturer (can't remember who now) suggesting this, and they said they thought it was a great idea. Years later and they still haven't implemented it. Lying bastards.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Jon Corby wrote:So anyway, my idea is that you should have some warning when the box is running low. Tissues with some symbol or message on them, change in colour, anything.
That is a great idea Jon. My idea is, tissue companies should sell advertising space on their tissues.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Julie T wrote:I get excema inside my ear [...] eventually it gets so itchy I have to scratch, so it gets infected
Does it bleed Julie? Do you get it anywhere else?
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Mark James wrote:My idea is, tissue companies should sell advertising space on their tissues.
I think that there used to be a toilet roll manufacturer who sold advertising to a company called Now Please Wash Your Hands.

God, I can still remember that feel of that stuff from primary school 40 odd years ago. Less toilet paper than shit relocation paper.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Jon Corby wrote:Current tissue box technology has made getting tissues easier than ever before - the next tissue pops out a little flap in the top when you take one. You no longer have to reach into the box, or pick it up or anything to get at the tissues. Which is great. Unfortunately, it also means there is pretty much no difference between taking the first tissue from the box and the last - and I constantly find that I'm surprised and irritated to find my tissue box is empty, and now I've got to sit at my desk for hours with snot streaming down my face before I can go out and get a new one.

That's a very good idea. Until it's implemented, can I suggest that you get a piece of thin cloth about six inches square. Folded into four it will fit easily in your trouser pocket, so will always be close at hand. In an emergency it can be used several times as a tissue substitute. After use it can be washed and re-used many times.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

David Williams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Current tissue box technology has made getting tissues easier than ever before - the next tissue pops out a little flap in the top when you take one. You no longer have to reach into the box, or pick it up or anything to get at the tissues. Which is great. Unfortunately, it also means there is pretty much no difference between taking the first tissue from the box and the last - and I constantly find that I'm surprised and irritated to find my tissue box is empty, and now I've got to sit at my desk for hours with snot streaming down my face before I can go out and get a new one.

That's a very good idea. Until it's implemented, can I suggest that you get a piece of thin cloth about six inches square. Folded into four it will fit easily in your trouser pocket, so will always be close at hand. In an emergency it can be used several times as a tissue substitute. After use it can be washed and re-used many times.
Eugh. I haven't been this disgusted since
Julie T wrote:I get excema inside my ear etc.
Seriously though, handkerchiefs are nice for decoration but carrying a snotty rag around in your trouser pocket? No thanks.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Seriously though, handkerchiefs are nice for decoration but carrying a snotty rag around in your trouser pocket? No thanks.
There's another childhood memory - Mum boiling up handkerchiefs in the 'handkerchief boiling pan'. Even worse than chutney being cooked.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Jon O'Neill wrote: Eugh. I haven't been this disgusted since
Julie T wrote:I get excema inside my ear etc.
Sorry Jono! Anyhoo, disgusted isn't as bad as having the condition! :(
I suggest you don't read on.
Matt Morrison wrote:
Julie T wrote:I get excema inside my ear [...] eventually it gets so itchy I have to scratch, so it gets infected
Does it bleed Julie? Do you get it anywhere else?
No, Matt, it doesn't bleed, but the infection makes the ears smelly and sore.

I very rarely get other exczema type rashes, but it is in the family. One of my sisters had full blown adult exczema, my middle child was covered in infantile exzema when a small baby, and most of my others had at least patches behind their knees, on the inside of their elbows, and behind their ears. Washing only using E45 stuff, and applying Hydrocortizone cream usually helped, but didn't get rid of it. They eventually grew out of it.
Last edited by Julie T on Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

What about anagrams on toilet paper? See if you can get it before you have to flush. Conundrex.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Julie T wrote:excema
Julie T wrote:exczema
Julie T wrote:exzema
Keep trying, I'm sure you'll hit on the right combination of letters eventually, if only by accident. :twisted:
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Julie T wrote:excema
Julie T wrote:exczema
Julie T wrote:exzema
Keep trying, I'm sure you'll hit on the right combination of letters eventually, if only by accident. :twisted:
aerosol! :D
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Andy Wilson wrote:What about anagrams on toilet paper? See if you can get it before you have to flush. Conundrex.
I've had one of those as a gag gift for Christmas one year. The anagrams were shit.
Jon Corby wrote:snot
Yer right.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I'm sure most companies would love to be associated with snot and shit...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Jon Corby wrote: So anyway, my idea is that you should have some warning when the box is running low. Tissues with some symbol or message on them, change in colour, anything.

They have this with Rizlas. It's a good idea for tissues too.
Yeah, but rizla packets are so small and thin that it's easy to think you have plenty left when in fact you're running low. Then you go to make one of these and next thing you know you've woken up in just your underpants and the shop is closed. Tissue boxes on the other hand are pretty bulky things. It's easy enough to tell when you're running low.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Andy Wilson wrote:Tissue boxes on the other hand are pretty bulky things. It's easy enough to tell when you're running low.
Well no, that's the whole point, it isn't anymore. Each tissue is presented neatly out of the top for you. Unless you pick the box up regularly to check the weight (which I don't), there is no way to tell. Maybe you buy Happy Shopper tissues that don't have this feature, I dunno.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:
Andy Wilson wrote:Tissue boxes on the other hand are pretty bulky things. It's easy enough to tell when you're running low.
Well no, that's the whole point, it isn't anymore. Each tissue is presented neatly out of the top for you. Unless you pick the box up regularly to check the weight (which I don't), there is no way to tell. Maybe you buy Happy Shopper tissues that don't have this feature, I dunno.
I'm with Andy on this one. I agree with you Jon you can't get a precise hold on the number of tissues, but you do know when it's running low. In my experience, that's because the tightness of the tissue packing, which is required to make sure the next tissue rises as you pull the current one out, is strong enough so that when the box does become light, picking out a tissue often causes the box to come away from the desk with it, and you have to change your tissue picking technique to a faster smoother motion in order to rip the fucker out of there before the now-light box has a chance to take hold.

But yes, in principle I agree it would be easier if you had an LCD screen counting remaining tissues on the side.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:I'm with Andy on this one.
Then either you're both a couple of spastics who can't take tissues from boxes, or you're buying an inferior product. I wouldn't like to say which is more likely.

The whole point of the design is that you don't need to pick the box up or struggle to get a tissue out, and to that end it works very well. You reach over, you pull the tissue, it comes out easily and readies the next one. The box doesn't lift up and every tissue comes out as easily as the last.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yeah well I didn't know you fucking blu-tack your tissue box to your desk. It wouldn't surprise me if you have some complicated system of pulleys and rigs to make sure the tissue comes out properly too.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:Yeah well I didn't know you fucking blu-tack your tissue box to your desk. It wouldn't surprise me if you have some complicated system of pulleys and rigs to make sure the tissue comes out properly too.
I don't, I obviously just have an incredible gift.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Yeah well I didn't know you fucking blu-tack your tissue box to your desk. It wouldn't surprise me if you have some complicated system of pulleys and rigs to make sure the tissue comes out properly too.
I don't, I obviously just have an incredible gift.
Remind me not to exchange christmas presents with you. I'll buy my own fucking tissues.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I can't believe you don't keep count.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

HeroEase (©) - Heroin in tablet form for club goers.

Haven't quite decided who I should write to about this, though. Fisher Price didn't seem too interested.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark