Paul Zenon vs Psychic Sally

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Paul Zenon vs Psychic Sally

Post by Jon Corby »

I see Paul Zenon has been doing some good work sticking it to that hideous cunt "Psychic" Sally Morgan, in a Daily Mail article, on This Morning and also on BBC News, following several newspapers running with the story of audience members overhearing her backroom staff feeding her information via an earpiece.

I see also that she is preparing to launch some kind of lawsuit against somebody - what on earth could it be? Do you think it could be against PZ? Could she possibly win any kind of libel case?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Paul Zenon vs Psychic Sally

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:Could she possibly win any kind of libel case?
Presumably she already knows.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:Could she possibly win any kind of libel case?
Nah. These frauds never take it to court because they don't want to be asked about their "powers" while under oath. Reminds me of the Dawkins astrology interview (good bit starts at about 8 mins).
Lucy Gowers
Rookie

Post by Lucy Gowers »

Jon Corby wrote:I see Paul Zenon has been doing some good work sticking it to that hideous cunt "Psychic" Sally Morgan, in a Daily Mail article, on This Morning and also on BBC News, following several newspapers running with the story of audience members overhearing her backroom staff feeding her information via an earpiece.

I see also that she is preparing to launch some kind of lawsuit against somebody - what on earth could it be? Do you think it could be against PZ? Could she possibly win any kind of libel case?
She's apparently upset about this article (particularly the references to Peter Popoff): http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/ ... ars-voices
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Lucy Gowers wrote:She's apparently upset about this article (particularly the references to Peter Popoff): http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/ ... ars-voices
Is there anything particularly in that article she can contest Lucy, in your opinion? It pretty much just states the whole "some people said they overheard..." thing, then says "it's similar to Popoff...". Surely she can't contest this, it is similar, in that they're both scammers...?
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Paul Zenon jumps several points in my estimation for his sticking the boot in. Psychic Sally will have to fight the legal battle on several fronts now, if she thinks she's got a case - it's all over t'internet, including Youtube footage from her own video of her removing an earpiece. And there was I thinking that mediums really could hear from the dead. Houdini tells me he's pleased.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Brian Moore wrote:Paul Zenon jumps several points in my estimation for his sticking the boot in.
Excellent. This is quite painful to watch.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Charlie Reams wrote:Excellent. This is quite painful to watch.
Hahaha - equally splendid. She'd have had as much luck fishing for cod in the Sahara Desert. On the left hand side.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I see she's now put out a statement explaining that she wears an earpiece for "stage direction" (?) despite vehemently insisting previously that she only wore a mic and "heard nothing through her ears" as if that were a ludicrous suggestion. (And yet her facebook page is still full of people who believe and don't care a toss for the lies and contradiction. I despair!)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon Corby wrote:I see she's now put out a statement explaining that she wears an earpiece for "stage direction" (?) despite vehemently insisting previously that she only wore a mic and "heard nothing through her ears" as if that were a ludicrous suggestion. (And yet her facebook page is still full of people who believe and don't care a toss for the lies and contradiction. I despair!)
Your debates on there are amusing and futile.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:I see she's now put out a statement explaining that she wears an earpiece for "stage direction" (?) despite vehemently insisting previously that she only wore a mic and "heard nothing through her ears" as if that were a ludicrous suggestion. (And yet her facebook page is still full of people who believe and don't care a toss for the lies and contradiction. I despair!)
Your debates on there are amusing and futile.
Heh, it was fun for a while, but it is actually scary how stupid some people are. My favourite was something like (said in all seriousness) "if she is being fed stuff through an earpiece, how do they suddenly know so much information about the person that Sally has picked out at random". I mean, how can you not have the brainpower to think about what would really be happening? Even if you don't agree with it or want to believe it, how can you be so wilfully stupid as to not even consider it?
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Your debates on there are amusing and futile.
And now Charlie's waded in. More entertainment. Of all the groups of people who are going to be impervious to reason and logic, I think Psychic Sally's supporters might be amongst the most resilient, mixing blind faith with stupidity.

Oh, I see you've come to a similar conclusion, Jon. I'm surprised you lasted as long as you did. As I posted during a lively debate elsewhere "One can't argue with that sort of logic - so I won't."
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Brian Moore wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:Your debates on there are amusing and futile.
And now Charlie's waded in. More entertainment. Of all the groups of people who are going to be impervious to reason and logic, I think Psychic Sally's supporters might be amongst the most resilient, mixing blind faith with stupidity.
Yeah, I've kind of given up after somebody asked me for proof that dead people can't talk to you. How can you even write that and not just go "oh, wait... yeah."
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Brian Moore wrote:Oh, I see you've come to a similar conclusion, Jon. I'm surprised you lasted as long as you did.
I have to admit, I do enjoy those kinds of discussions though :mrgreen:

We don't get them much on here, we have had the odd idiot of that kind of calibre, but they don't tend to last that long.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Jon Corby wrote:
Brian Moore wrote:Oh, I see you've come to a similar conclusion, Jon. I'm surprised you lasted as long as you did.
I have to admit, I do enjoy those kinds of discussions though :mrgreen:

We don't get them much on here, we have had the odd idiot of that kind of calibre, but they don't tend to last that long.
Full marks for stamina. I haven't got the patience with people that stupid. Still, I expect that they buy lots of Lottery tickets too, so I should be grateful for their contribution to society.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

"Charlie Moron you realy need to have a word with yourself, do you honestly think anyone on here or anywhere eles for that matter, actually give two monkeys what comes out of your silly mouth? Maybe 1 day you will be trying to get threw to aloved 1 and need the help of sally, well I hope to god she laughs at you, and the other non belivers, it ceases to amaze me what lengths people will go to to have a dig thrown at someone who actually helps people with broken hearts start to mend, all of you should do your selves a favour and find something worth shouting about bloody idiots....... P.s see you tomorrow sally at bedworth civic hall xx"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

So it seems we're unanimous that receiving information through an earpiece, and using it to appear to have abilities we don't, all in the name of entertainment, is wrong. Well, I can certainly go along with that. I'm a little surprised that Paul Zenon agrees, though.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

David Williams wrote:So it seems we're unanimous that receiving information through an earpiece, and using it to appear to have abilities we don't, all in the name of entertainment, is wrong. Well, I can certainly go along with that. I'm a little surprised that Paul Zenon agrees, though.
It's hardly the same level of deception though, is it? And anyway, I'm sure it's more for the benefit of the production team than Paul Zenon himself.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

JimBentley wrote:
David Williams wrote:So it seems we're unanimous that receiving information through an earpiece, and using it to appear to have abilities we don't, all in the name of entertainment, is wrong. Well, I can certainly go along with that. I'm a little surprised that Paul Zenon agrees, though.
It's hardly the same level of deception though, is it? And anyway, I'm sure it's more for the benefit of the production team than Paul Zenon himself.
Maybe not the same level, but it's the same deception, which rather leaves Paul Zenon open to a charge of hypocrisy. And I'm finding it hard to seethe with moral indignation at one while tacitly approving the other. I imagine Psychic Sally has thousands of dead people trying to get her attention, so a bit of surreptitious info about an audience member is a useful way of filtering out the time-wasters.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

David Williams wrote:it's the same deception, which rather leaves Paul Zenon open to a charge of hypocrisy. And I'm finding it hard to seethe with moral indignation at one while tacitly approving the other.
Sorry but I think they're completely different things. If anyone were to suggest seriously to Paul Zenon (or any other similar act) that their stuff was actual magic and not just some well-practised prestidigitation they'd laugh for a week and point out you'd be bonkers for thinking anything different. Plus they're not exploiting people who are both grieving and frighteningly stupid. Everyone knows illusionists create illusions - it doesn't detract at all from their shows as what they do is still really skillful and entertaining. If you're claiming to have supernatural powers you should at least have the common sense to keep your head down when someone points out you've got pants on fire.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Lesley Hines wrote:
David Williams wrote:it's the same deception, which rather leaves Paul Zenon open to a charge of hypocrisy. And I'm finding it hard to seethe with moral indignation at one while tacitly approving the other.
Sorry but I think they're completely different things. If anyone were to suggest seriously to Paul Zenon (or any other similar act) that their stuff was actual magic and not just some well-practised prestidigitation they'd laugh for a week and point out you'd be bonkers for thinking anything different. Plus they're not exploiting people who are both grieving and frighteningly stupid. Everyone knows illusionists create illusions - it doesn't detract at all from their shows as what they do is still really skillful and entertaining. If you're claiming to have supernatural powers you should at least have the common sense to keep your head down when someone points out you've got pants on fire.
Exactly. It's not hypocrisy for a stage magician to not use real magic and not claim to, and and the same time complain that someone who is claiming to genuinely speak to dead people isn't actually doing so.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

I didn't accuse Paul Zenon of claiming to be able to perform magic. I pointed out that he (and every other inhabitant of Dictionary Corner) has information fed to him through an earpiece, which is concealed from the audience.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

David Williams wrote:I didn't accuse Paul Zenon of claiming to be able to perform magic. I pointed out that he (and every other inhabitant of Dictionary Corner) has information fed to him through an earpiece, which is concealed from the audience.
You were being too subtle for the likes of me. Very good.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

David Williams wrote:I didn't accuse Paul Zenon of claiming to be able to perform magic. I pointed out that he (and every other inhabitant of Dictionary Corner) has information fed to him through an earpiece, which is concealed from the audience.
Are you sure the DC guest has an earpiece? I know Susie does, but I'm not sure the same is true of the guest.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Does that then mean I've just inadvertently accused the producers of exploiting the viewers, who are frighteningly stupid? :lol:

I don't think it makes any difference, although tbf most DC guests say more 'we' found, rather than 'I', or will credit Susie, and the odd exception will give their own actual declarations. Even so, what they're claiming isn't beyond the bounds of possibility, whereas Psycho Sally is. Also she's being paid handsomely for it from people's own pockets when they'd be better spending their money on a bit of grief counselling or donating it to Cruse. The worst thing is she perpetuates the belief, she's not helping people to come to terms with their loss. Sick and wrong.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Graeme Cole wrote:Are you sure the DC guest has an earpiece? I know Susie does, but I'm not sure the same is true of the guest.
From the way that some DC guests mangle the pronunciation of words fed by Susie, my guess is that they don't have an earpiece - leading to the comical spectacle of some of them trying to appear clever by saying a long word, but giving away that they have no clue whatsoever what they are reading off Susie's piece of paper. If they have got an earpiece, it would mean that they can't even repeat what they have been told.

At least Paul Zenon pronounces the words right on the whole, even if he never admits that they are not his discovery.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Lesley Hines wrote:Does that then mean I've just inadvertently accused the producers of exploiting the viewers, who are frighteningly stupid? :lol:

I don't think it makes any difference, although tbf most DC guests say more 'we' found, rather than 'I', or will credit Susie, and the odd exception will give their own actual declarations. Even so, what they're claiming isn't beyond the bounds of possibility, whereas Psycho Sally is. Also she's being paid handsomely for it from people's own pockets when they'd be better spending their money on a bit of grief counselling or donating it to Cruse. The worst thing is she perpetuates the belief, she's not helping people to come to terms with their loss. Sick and wrong.
I think you're still confusing two issues here. There's the cheating, for different ends but by pretty similar methods for Dictionary Corner and Psychic Sally. And there's the whole life after death thing. Your second paragraph looks like an inadvertent attack on organised religion!

Incidentally, isn't "come to terms with" a strange expression? It literally means arriving at a negotiated settlement, but we use it to mean facing up to something that can't be changed - the complete opposite.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

David Williams wrote:And there's the whole life after death thing. Your second paragraph looks like an inadvertent attack on organised religion!
Lets hope it was. Religion is wank. Although something tells me David is on a wind up here.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Mark James wrote:
David Williams wrote:And there's the whole life after death thing. Your second paragraph looks like an inadvertent attack on organised religion!
Lets hope it was. Religion is wank. Although something tells me David is on a wind up here.
Beat me to it :lol:

It wasn't actually what I was thinking at all, although now you come to mention it... ;)
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Wish I'd known what Corby was up to on Facebook so I could have debated it with him. Some of this stuff would be gold dust there. Not enough idiots round here these days.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Mark James wrote:Religion is wank.
I think "wonk" is the word of the moment - deployed to good effect by Phil Hammond on Question Time on Thursday. It left Andrew Lansley lost for words.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

If anyone's read or watched Brighton Rock: Psychic Sally reminds me of Ida Arnold so much.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:Image

"Charlie Moron you realy need to have a word with yourself, do you honestly think anyone on here or anywhere eles for that matter, actually give two monkeys what comes out of your silly mouth? Maybe 1 day you will be trying to get threw to aloved 1 and need the help of sally, well I hope to god she laughs at you, and the other non belivers, it ceases to amaze me what lengths people will go to to have a dig thrown at someone who actually helps people with broken hearts start to mend, all of you should do your selves a favour and find something worth shouting about bloody idiots....... P.s see you tomorrow sally at bedworth civic hall xx"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I really enjoyed that. Obviously I was expecting some angry replies since that was the whole fun of it but that was the best one. I like how she's tried to turn the Sally Moron thing back on me but it doesn't make any sense. Heeheehee.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

I see Jon's been back in action.

Is there a reason the most vitriolic and brainless defenders of PS on that page are women? (Oh dear, that sounds horribly sexist - sorry.)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Brian Moore wrote:I see Jon's been back in action.

Is there a reason the most vitriolic and brainless defenders of PS on that page are women? (Oh dear, that sounds horribly sexist - sorry.)
Haha. Do you know why I went back? I got some fan mail from 5 different strangers who were "loving my work" on there. What can I say, I'm all about giving the people what they want.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Jon Corby wrote:
Haha. Do you know why I went back? I got some fan mail from 5 different strangers who were "loving my work" on there. What can I say, I'm all about giving the people what they want.
A bit like a porn star, then.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Brian Moore wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
A bit like a porn star, then.
Hahaha, pretty much, yeah!
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Jon Corby wrote:
Brian Moore wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:What can I say, I'm all about giving the people what they want.
A bit like Sally Morgan, then.
Hahaha, pretty much, yeah!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I've now been booted out, and every one of my insertions has been removed from history like it never happened.

(Just like when I was a porn star.)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Jon Corby wrote:I've now been booted out, and every one of my insertions has been removed from history like it never happened.

Guess you didn't see that one coming.

Also, I have only just read this thread after seeing mention of PS on FB. Very amusing, would read again.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:Guess you didn't see that one coming.
Just like when I was a porn star.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Guess you didn't see that one coming.
Just like when I was a porn star.
You reminded me of The Gush for some reason.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Jon Corby wrote:I've now been booted out, and every one of my insertions has been removed from history like it never happened.

Wow, not only can she not read the future, she can't even read the past with any accuracy...
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ben Wilson wrote:Wow, not only can she not read the future, she can't even read the past with any accuracy...
hehehe, very good! :mrgreen:
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Bah! Gutted! Was enjoying that but reading it on my phone only allows me to back 50 posts. I was going to go back and read it when I some time today at machine. Still, my mum brought me up that it's not nice to laugh at the village idiots. (If they're begging you to though I was prepared to make an exception ;) )
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Lesley, I see that your one post in the Corbythread (TM) hasn't been deleted, despite the fact that it's intelligible and properly punctuated. (Though perhaps your being a woman counts in your favour.)

Incidentally, the Guardian are still on the case, even if it's not new news.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Sally's latest post on her Facebook page (which I'm blocked from posting on):

"Went to see Paranormal Activity 3 this afternoon. Luckily I had John and Daren next to me as I was so scared! I jumped the whole way through! xSx"

You'd think she'd be kind of used to that sort of stuff.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Love the comment from R2D2.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

So how does this work? The Daily Mail have to prove she was faking, right?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:So how does this work? The Daily Mail have to prove she was faking, right?
*shines Lucy Gowers shaped symbol into the night sky*
Lucy Gowers
Rookie

Post by Lucy Gowers »

Jon Corby wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:So how does this work? The Daily Mail have to prove she was faking, right?
*shines Lucy Gowers shaped symbol into the night sky*
Arf.

Sally would have to prove that the article is defamatory of her. The definition used by the courts of whether something is defamatory is that it must "tend to lower [her] in the estimation of right-thinking members of society generally".

Once she's done that, Michael's right that the Mail/PZ must either prove the truth of the article or show that they can benefit from one of the defamation defences (eg that it's fair comment or it's subject to qualified privilege because it's in the public interest).
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Holy crap, the symbol works!

Thanks Lucy. How do you see it panning out? I know OFCOM issued new guidelines including the following:
Psychic readings cannot stray beyond the carefully circumscribed area of entertainment and should never be presented as reliable, substantiated or offering anything other than a form of entertainment.
but I assume that doesn't directly apply (or can it all be intertwined - some shows are filmed for TV etc?) Isn't the counter-position to Paul's that she is what she claims (and therefore in breach of the regulations)? Or am I oversimplifying and/or missing the genuine point of contention?
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Lucy Gowers wrote:Sally would have to prove that the article is defamatory of her. The definition used by the courts of whether something is defamatory is that it must "tend to lower [her] in the estimation of right-thinking members of society generally".
That's really interesting. The problem I guess is that right-thinking members of society are likely to think what she does is bunkum anyway, no?

Man, I so hope they can prove the truth. Some of these creeps want outing. It's just a shame there are people (some of whom I know personally!) who will continue to believe for evermore that it's somehow wrong to be cynical.

Quotes from several friends who have seen her live:
"Yes, but she's amazing. When you're there you absolutely know she's speaking the truth." Like, dur. Of course she is - that's why she has researchers.
"She knew everything about [some dead relly of one of their friends] and didn't speak to anyone. It was great cos [friend] really wanted to hear from them." "Did friend discuss this on the way in?" "Oh yes, it was why we went."
"You either believe or you don't."

*Bangs head against wall*
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

So what is the standard excuse for not proving your abilities if you're a psychic? Is it just that their powers are a bit random so they might not work all the time?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Michael Wallace wrote:So what is the standard excuse for not proving your abilities if you're a psychic? Is it just that their powers are a bit random so they might not work all the time?
I've heard that some are afraid to prove it conclusively because the powers that be wouldn't like it and they'd be experimented on or killed or something.