Two UK-born Rick Wakemans?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Two UK-born Rick Wakemans?

Post by Jason Larsen »

I just did some online research, and found out that Richard Wright, the organ player for Pink Floyd, passed away recently at the age of 65.

However, by lurking in another online forum, I found out that another member of Pink Floyd had exactly the same name as a former Dictionary Corner guest on Countdown, Rick Wakeman!

The only difference is Pink Floyd's Rick Wakeman had passed away, while Countdown's Rick Wakeman is still alive.

I know Countdown's Rick Wakeman will no longer be appearing in Dictionary Corner on Countdown because of Carol Vorderman's mistreatment. That is sad!

But, can anyone confirm that there were two UK-born Rick Wakemans and tell me about Pink Floyd's Rick Wakeman?
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Re: Two UK-born Rick Wakemans?

Post by Paul Howe »

Jason, I think you're confused. Unless Syd Barrett happened to be in an especially bizarre mood one day, there was never a Rick Wakeman in Pink Floyd.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'll do some research then, Paul.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Paul Howe wrote:Jason, I think you're confused. Unless Syd Barrett happened to be in an especially bizarre mood one day, there was never a Rick Wakeman in Pink Floyd.
I think Jason may be on about Back Against the Wall, which is the tribute album to Pink Floyd:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_Against_The_Wall

Rick Wakeman's name appears in the list of participants.

EDIT: And the Rick Wakeman mentioned in the list is the same Rick Wakeman on Countdown.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

My source comes from this online post:

RIP Richard. Along with Keith Emerson and Rick Wakeman, you were one of the greatest progressive rock keyboardists in music.

Joseph, I think you're right. I'm sorry!