Wogan's Perfect Recall

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Dan Peake

Wogan's Perfect Recall

Post by Dan Peake »

Hmm.
I've accidentally wangled my way onto Wogan's Perfect Recall - and my show will be broadcast this Tuesday (16th Sept) at 5pm on C4.

Enjoy!

Dan Peake
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Wogan's Perfect Recall

Post by Charlie Reams »

Sounds good. Rather that than Deal or No Deal, anyway.
Dan Peake

Post by Dan Peake »

I'm not *that* insane - just pretty close to it.

I'm sure if you're IQ is greater than 70 they don't let you on Deal Or No Deal.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Dan Peake wrote:
I'm sure if you're IQ is greater than 70
Hmmmm....
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Perfect Recall kinda annoys me - I don't get why they let the viewers see the previous answers when the contestants can't. On the occasions I do watch I try to sit far enough away (admittedly not too hard for me) so that I can't read them, otherwise it seems to make playing along at home feel a bit pointless. Do they do it to try and make people watching feel clever or something?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I was going to start a thread about that, but Dan, you beat me to it!

Especially if one of the answers in the first round is "blank," that would be ironic!

I wonder why Terry Wogan actually referred to a pound as a blank in the Super Match round on "Blankety Blank," especially when he knew the form of currency was a pound!

Anyway, good luck, Dan, and I hope you do well! Let us know, as unfortunately I can't see Wogan's Perfect Recall on UK Nova as of yet.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Dan Peake wrote:Hmm.
I've accidentally wangled my way onto Wogan's Perfect Recall - and my show will be broadcast this Tuesday (16th Sept) at 5pm on C4.

Enjoy!

Dan Peake
The best of luck to you Dan :).
Michael Wallace wrote:Perfect Recall kinda annoys me - I don't get why they let the viewers see the previous answers when the contestants can't. On the occasions I do watch I try to sit far enough away (admittedly not too hard for me) so that I can't read them, otherwise it seems to make playing along at home feel a bit pointless. Do they do it to try and make people watching feel clever or something?
It's not a bad show in my opinion.

I like the final round the best to be honest, because depending on who the person is, you sometimes hope that they are too cocky or you really hope that they get their target and win :)
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Good luck - I'll be watching :)
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I'm at an interview that day at 4pm. Will possibly be home for the repeat on 4+1 but does it repeat anytime after that? Good luck on the show :)

Dinos
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Good luck on the show, Dan. I remember that after I joined this group a couple of years ago, you were the first member who I was able to watch on Countdown. I also remember you as Ulrika with Anne Robinson. I wonder how Wogan is going to cope with you. I look forward to watching tomorrow. Hope you enjoy watching it too.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Joseph Bolas wrote:I like the final round the best to be honest, because depending on who the person is, you sometimes hope that they are too cocky or you really hope that they get their target and win :)
I don't really hold with the final round either - I don't like this new fad of gameshows where they say "win up to $ridiculous_sum_of_money" and then introduce various game dynamics to make it virtually impossible (it doesn't help in this instance that wogan tends to read the questions pretty damn slowly too - on the episode I saw last week the timer had ticked down to 59 before he'd even started asking the first question). On the other had, I suppose it's a step up from the likes of DoND and Goldenballs...
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Michael Wallace wrote:I don't really hold with the final round either - I don't like this new fad of gameshows where they say "win up to $ridiculous_sum_of_money" and then introduce various game dynamics to make it virtually impossible (it doesn't help in this instance that wogan tends to read the questions pretty damn slowly too - on the episode I saw last week the timer had ticked down to 59 before he'd even started asking the first question).
They are obviously going to make it seem impossible to get the £100,000, but I don't think that it's impossible. There's an average time of 5 seconds per questions and with some of the questions being as short as 1 or 2 words, that should be plenty of time to get through all 20 questions, if the contestant can recall the answers quick enough.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Good luck Dan for tomorrow (a little late though) and give my love to your Mum...............
Michael Wallace wrote:Perfect Recall kinda annoys me - I don't get why they let the viewers see the previous answers when the contestants can't. On the occasions I do watch I try to sit far enough away (admittedly not too hard for me) so that I can't read them, otherwise it seems to make playing along at home feel a bit pointless. Do they do it to try and make people watching feel clever or something?
Surely you can look away if you want to be in the same boat as the contestents as there are no 'picture' questions. If you do want to see the answers, look at the screen. Surely the format caters for both preferences Michael so why do you get annoyed :?:
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Michael Wallace wrote:
I don't like this new fad of gameshows where they say "win up to $ridiculous_sum_of_money" and then introduce various game dynamics to make it virtually impossible ...
If anyone's interested, my husband, James, will be on Who Dares Wins (The Lottery quiz) on Saturday night. I would say that is one of the shows where it IS possible to win decent sums of money.

Good luck for tomorrow Dan (even though I know it's too late now).
Dan Peake

Post by Dan Peake »

Howard Somerset wrote:I also remember you as Ulrika with Anne Robinson.
Oh God.

I'm looking forward to tomorrows show, indeed.
Dan Peake

Post by Dan Peake »

Michael Wallace wrote:on the episode I saw last week the timer had ticked down to 59 before he'd even started asking the first question).
That's an editing mistake, I've seen a few mistakes - such as suddenly after question 5, 8 answers are on the board, and in the next shot, it's back to the 5 answers that should have been on the board. The next three questions were thus quite easy.

I don't think it's impossible to win the £100,000 - you just have to have Perfect Recall. Having said that, I think the money ladder is very stingy, and they should get rid of the whole bidding thing, it's unneeded.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

By the way, I've seen clips of the premiere episode of Wogan's Perfect Recall on Youtube. That's how I know about it!
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Jason Larsen wrote:By the way, I've seen clips of the premiere episode of Wogan's Perfect Recall on Youtube. That's how I know about it!
Well you know more than I do, Jason. I hadn't even heard of the programme until this thread started. So I thought it must be on some obscure satellite channel. Now I know what it's on, I'll probably watch today's programme, so I know what it's all about before watching Dan tomorrow.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Channel 4, yes sir, Howard!

And Terry Wogan looks great for his age, too!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Chris Corby wrote:Surely you can look away if you want to be in the same boat as the contestents as there are no 'picture' questions. If you do want to see the answers, look at the screen. Surely the format caters for both preferences Michael so why do you get annoyed :?:
I suppose annoyed isn't quite the right word, it's more that it strikes me as a bit counter-intuitive to make it difficult to play along (properly) at home - it just feels like another programme that is pandering to a dumbed-down public (but like I say, it's still way better than most of what we get at the moment).
Dan Peake

Post by Dan Peake »

Yeah, I feel that they should just put the answers on the board each round, instead of taking them off in the later rounds (although doesn't make any difference for the final, really).

Terry Wogan is an absolute legend. Very funny. Sharp in the mind, if not as svelte as he once was.
Dan Peake

Post by Dan Peake »

Oooh, I love that word.

Svelte.
Dan Peake

Post by Dan Peake »

Svelte. Svelte. Svelte.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:I suppose annoyed isn't quite the right word, it's more that it strikes me as a bit counter-intuitive to make it difficult to play along (properly) at home
I was watching the last "Beat The Star" in the series, where the host Vernon Kay was taking on (and beating) a marine or something. Anyway, they had this round where they had a spoon with three foods on, which they (blindfolded) had to take in one go and identify the three flavours. So it was something like salad cream, anchovy and ham. Or whatever. Anyway, they showed you the spoons and a caption with what was on it, and just before this the stand-in host (Philip Schofield) said, without any noticeable trace of humour, "here's what's on the next spoon - look away now if you want to play along at home." I was confused for literally days.

Oh yeah, and good luck Dan, it's already on my Sky+!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

It would actually make perfect sense to take all the answers off in the second round because you get all new answers for the next two rounds.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Jason Larsen wrote:It would actually make perfect sense to take all the answers off in the second round because you get all new answers for the next two rounds.
I don't know what you are watching Jason but once the first round is over, those 20 answers remain the same throughout the rest of that programme.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I've never seen the show before and have no idea how it works. Is there anything (rules, quirks, tactics etc) I should know in advance to enhance my enjoyment of tonight's programme?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Jon Corby wrote:I've never seen the show before and have no idea how it works. Is there anything (rules, quirks, tactics etc) I should know in advance to enhance my enjoyment of tonight's programme?
There are 4 contestants and for each round 20 questions are asked (the questions get harder round after round), but the same 20 answers appear in each round. At the end of each round, the lowest scoring person is eliminated, until after three rounds, there is only one person left.

This person then goes on to play the endgame, where they can win up to £100,000. This link shows you how the endgame works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXW_Aqzm1BM
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:I've never seen the show before and have no idea how it works. Is there anything (rules, quirks, tactics etc) I should know in advance to enhance my enjoyment of tonight's programme?
One oddity, as Michael points out, is that the answers from previous rounds are displaced for viewers at home, but not the contestants.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Thanks.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Chris, the answers remain the same until you get to the bonus round. Then, they become different.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Dan Peake wrote:
I don't think it's impossible to win the £100,000 - you just have to have Perfect Recall. Having said that, I think the money ladder is very stingy, and they should get rid of the whole bidding thing, it's unneeded.
Dan, I hope you get to the final and win a big pile of money, but it's hard to describe any situation in which you can win thousands of pounds just by remembering some things you've heard in the previous half hour as stingy. I was actually going to call it a total piece of piss until I realised that the contestants couldn't see the answers :)

Anyway, I'll be watching mate, hope you do well. Oh, and I agree the bidding is daft.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Oh, I just remembered. In the game, there are different answers in every half of the game. That's riiiiiiiiiight!

That's a good Roy Walker impression, isn't it?
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Jason Larsen wrote:Oh, I just remembered. In the game, there are different answers in every half of the game. That's riiiiiiiiiight!

That's a good Roy Walker impression, isn't it?
Jason - I am talking about the British version, the one that Dan was in. There is no "bonus" round. I repeat, in all four rounds the answers are the same, the same 20 answers given in Round 1, appear in Round 2, Round 3 and finally, the 'final'. There are no halves - unless you count the ad break after Round 2 as separting the show into two halves.

Dan

SPOLIER below:

Tough luck mate, pipped to the finish by one.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Commiserations Dan :(.

You didn't half have some tough opponents there, but you did very well to beat Sandra in round 2 (who IMO didn't look happy to be there). It's a pity that Kevin was very quick.

EDIT: Also, out of curiosity, if you had gotten through to the final, what would you have bidded on the money ladder?
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Hard luck mate, thought you were going to pull it back there. That bald guy was pretty good though.

I don't usually like memory game shows but I enjoyed that one, and you can easily look away from the screen if you want to play along.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

I enjoyed watching you, Dan. Well played, and commiserations for just missing out on a place in the final round.

So, now that Des Lynam, Anne Robinson and Terry Wogan have had the pleasure of experiencing you, who's next?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

There are two parts to each round with only two sets of answers for each show.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Jason Larsen wrote:There are two parts to each round with only two sets of answers for each show.

Jason, Chris is right. There are no 'parts' to each round and there is one set of answers for the entire show.

Please can we now drop the subject.
Last edited by Karen Pearson on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Well done Peaky, my whole family ended up watching it although the viewing quickly descended into an argument over what to have for dinner (result: something involving a sausage.)

The bidding thing really pissed me off, it's such a blatant gimmick to reduce the value of the prizes given out.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Bad luck Dan, baldy put a little run of answers together to put him 8-4 up or something, and you seemed doomed from that point. Almost had him though.

That was quite cool, I enjoyed that show. I hadn't watched the youtube clip so it was all new to me, and have to agree that the end game seems a bit of a shitter - what's the most anybody has won so far? 60 seconds isn't much time to get through 20 questions; if you bid for the £100k and mishear a question, you're probably done for.

Quite a novel idea though, I'd watch that again :) Especially if Kirk goes on. Go on mate.
Dan Peake

Post by Dan Peake »

Thanks Guys! I had a great time filming it, which I think showed. I was nervous as hell - as was Sandra (who showed it more).

SOMERSET! I knew the answer hadn't come up, so I buzzed in instantly on the last question with it. That's a bit of recall right there! Also, very amusing as I answered what seemed like every question with Somerset.

I would have bid 15 answers, same as the winner, but I'm not sure how I would have done as I thought the final round questions were tough.

Still - a great day!
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Yeah I thought the SOMERSET bit at the end was a touch of class! (Although I was eagerly awaiting for a question involving a certain Howard we all know well) Well done mate :)
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Howard Somerset wrote: So, now that Des Lynam, Anne Robinson and Terry Wogan have had the pleasure of experiencing you, who's next?
Howard
Between you and me, Graham Norton has shown an interest......................... :cry:
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you, Karen!