Literary bathtime

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Literary bathtime

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Sorry!

It was great, and I think this pretty well sums it up:

What places are good to eat? We only found bad places. Although we had good food at some Irish pub on the last night.
Do people actually do that? It's like reading in the bath - more hassle than it's worth making sure the book doesn't get wet (not that I ever have baths).
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Oh my (holi)daysssssssss 2011

Post by Michael Wallace »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Do people actually do that? It's like reading in the bath - more hassle than it's worth making sure the book doesn't get wet (not that I ever have baths).
I know what you mean. I've been known to read a newspaper in the bath, but I'm only happy to take that risk because it's not a disaster if it ends up getting wet. Don't think I'm brave/foolhardy enough to do it with a book.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Do people actually do that? It's like reading in the bath - more hassle than it's worth making sure the book doesn't get wet (not that I ever have baths).
I was going to post this but decided against it since I didn't want to irritate Jon any more than I have done. I've never done what Jon is doing in that picture but it does look better than reading in the bath since if you drop the book it would go into your lap (hopefully).
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I'd rather do that than hold my phone over the railing whilst fiddling with it and having a smoke when leaning over the balcony. Yet I still do that quite a bit. If I drop that, it's worse than a wet book.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

My lap was filled with water. It's not hard to not drop it. I'm a big bath-reader. Actually if you do drop a book in the bath, when you dry it out it has a nice texture, although admittedly it is then a broken book.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Matt Morrison wrote:I'd rather do that than hold my phone over the railing whilst fiddling with it and having a smoke when leaning over the balcony. Yet I still do that quite a bit. If I drop that, it's worse than a wet book.
Reminds me of when I was texting on my old phone whilst doing a piss at a urinal - I dropped it and it landed in a puddle of piss. The smell never went away.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:I'd rather do that than hold my phone over the railing whilst fiddling with it and having a smoke when leaning over the balcony. Yet I still do that quite a bit. If I drop that, it's worse than a wet book.
Reminds me of when I was texting on my old phone whilst doing a piss at a urinal - I dropped it and it landed in a puddle of piss. The smell never went away.
I fell in the Cam during freshers' week with my phone in my pocket. Somehow the phone survived...for about 9 hours, at which point I drunkenly dropped it in a toilet :(
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
I can sort of top that. I dropped my phone into a toilet filled with my own vomit. I delved right in for it and then proceeded to rinse the phone under a tap to wash it. When I woke up the next day, needless to say, the phone did not work but the battery and stuff inside still spelt of vomit. I got it replaced though for free.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon O'Neill wrote:My lap was filled with water. It's not hard to not drop it. I'm a big bath-reader. Actually if you do drop a book in the bath, when you dry it out it has a nice texture, although admittedly it is then a broken book.
This is my Harry Potter 4 book that was dropped in the bath quite a number of years ago now. It fucked up the spine and all the pages are a bit of a darker colour to the other books now.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Literary bathtime

Post by Charlie Reams »

This seems worthy of its own topic. I don't like baths but any time I happen to be somewhere with a hot-tub I enjoy reading in that, so I see the appeal. Probably would only do it with paperbacks though.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I used to dip the Beano in the bath quite often. Didn't cause too much trouble.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote:My lap was filled with water. It's not hard to not drop it. I'm a big bath-reader. Actually if you do drop a book in the bath, when you dry it out it has a nice texture, although admittedly it is then a broken book.
It's not just about not dropping it but also having to keep your hands dry at all times and making sure no water splashes up - especially in a pool. You've also got to get out of the pool without getting it wet and you might have drifted from the side. Seems like hard work to me.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
It's not just about not dropping it but also having to keep your hands dry at all times and making sure no water splashes up
This. I rarely have time to take a bath (as opposed to shower) but when I do I like to make an event of it - you know, light candles, pour a glass of wine and - yes - read a book. However, while I enjoy the sensation of lying back in a warm bubbly bath with a book in one hand and a glass of wine in the other, actually getting into that position is always quite difficult because (even forgetting about the glass of wine) by the time I've eased myself down into the water, the hand I want to hold the book with is normally wet and I then have to reach for a towel to dry it with, being careful meanwhile not to drip water off my wet arm onto the book which is balanced precariously on the edge of the bath waiting to be picked up - never mind having to make sure I neither set the book on fire nor singe my arm hairs off by holding them too close to a carelessly placed candle. All of which tends to knock the gloss of sophistication off the whole business somewhat.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Ryan Taylor wrote: I can sort of top that. I dropped my phone into a toilet filled with my own vomit. I delved right in for it and then proceeded to rinse the phone under a tap to wash it. When I woke up the next day, needless to say, the phone did not work but the battery and stuff inside still spelt of vomit. I got it replaced though for free.
At the Christmas party one year the boss was trying to make sure I didn't get too drunk as I still had to go to work the next day. Well I ended up getting rat arsed and when I went to bed I put my alarm clock right next to me on the pillow so I wouldn't sleep through it yet I then proceeded to puke on it during the night and was over an hour late for work.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Mark James wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote: I can sort of top that. I dropped my phone into a toilet filled with my own vomit. I delved right in for it and then proceeded to rinse the phone under a tap to wash it. When I woke up the next day, needless to say, the phone did not work but the battery and stuff inside still spelt of vomit. I got it replaced though for free.
At the Christmas party one year the boss was trying to make sure I didn't get too drunk as I still had to go to work the next day. Well I ended up getting rat arsed and when I went to bed I put my alarm clock right next to me on the pillow so I wouldn't sleep through it yet I then proceeded to puke on it during the night and was over an hour late for work.
Gret stuff mark, the Irish way. I am going to try lksceing my alarm clock next to me bu not to be up for work only so that i wake up tomorrow. I fear I could sleep all day. Sooootired.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
It's not just about not dropping it but also having to keep your hands dry at all times and making sure no water splashes up - especially in a pool. You've also got to get out of the pool without getting it wet and you might have drifted from the side. Seems like hard work to me.
Fair enough, maybe I just like to live dangerously. I have dropped my phone in the bath whilst talking on it before (same one that later got dropped in piss), and yesterday at work I spilt my tea all over my new phone, which scared the shit out of me because it's worth like a million squid or something and I can play Pokemon on it.

This post felt a bit like a Sophie Krol post, which I like.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Phil Reynolds wrote: I rarely have time to take a bath (as opposed to shower) but when I do I like to make an event of it - you know, light candles, pour a glass of wine and - yes - read a book.
This.

But I don't find it a faff at all but, in our current house, we have a bath with a fairly flat rim that you can stand a wine glass on (although it has slid off in to the bath on the odd occasion). I always read in the bath but James has banned me from reading my Kindle in the bath (so I've asked for a waterproof Kindle cover as a present) so, mostly at the moment I end up reading stuff that I should be revising for quizzes (religion, history etc) which just isn't as much fun as a good novel.

TBH, the main reason for having a bath has nothing to do with getting clean and everything to do with having a bit of time to chill.

Oh, and if you do have trouble managing the book, the glass etc, you could always get one of these:
http://www.find-me-a-gift.co.uk/gifts-f ... =FR-oob046
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Mark James wrote:
The first (and only) time I ever drank Poitín was with a flatmate who was also a workmate in a large builders supplies company .We started the evening by sampling :roll: a fresh batch of home brew wine another flatmate had made, moved over the road to the pub for a few pints, and returned home, where our flatmate then produced a bottle of Poitín he'd picked up on his last weekend home. Needless to say, neither of us were in any fit state to work next morning when we rolled in to work almost an hour late. Our supervisor took one look at the pair of us and took us down the timber yards.Up in a small corner loft he showed us couple of old couches and told us to sleep it off until lunchtime. What the bastard neglected to mention was that the klaxon which sounded every day at lunchtime was mounted on the other side of the (very thin) sheet metal wall. Imagine the cheer that went up when two badly shell-shocked and hungover figures arrived in the canteen shortly after 1pm.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Karen Pearson wrote:I don't find it a faff at all but, in our current house, we have a bath with a fairly flat rim that you can stand a wine glass on
Ours has a decent-width ledge running along the length of the bath on both sides, which the guy who renovated the house told us he put there for the specific purpose of holding drinks glasses. Dealing with the glass of wine isn't the faff, it's the book.
James has banned me from reading my Kindle in the bath (so I've asked for a waterproof Kindle cover as a present) so, mostly at the moment I end up reading stuff that I should be revising for quizzes (religion, history etc) which just isn't as much fun as a good novel.
This suggests that you acknowledge the risks of getting the reading material wet and the consequent need to exercise due care, which was my very point.
Oh, and if you do have trouble managing the book, the glass etc, you could always get one of these:
http://www.find-me-a-gift.co.uk/gifts-f ... =FR-oob046
Haha, excellent. I may just have to get one.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

To turn your point around, Phil, I think it would be mad to compromise your reading experience for the sake of the risk of getting the reading material wet.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Risk is all about assessing the impact of something happening as well as the probability. I think we can all agree that, at some point our reading matter will get wet, so that has a high probability. However, if I get a paperback wet it costs me, at worst, a fiver to replace. If I get my Kindle wet, it's probably going to cost me £100+ to replace; a much greater impact and, therefore, deterrent to reading it in the bath.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Sounds like there's a gap in the market for a waterproof E-book. An idea for Graeme to work on , maybe?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Karen Pearson wrote:mostly at the moment I end up reading stuff that I should be revising for quizzes (religion, history etc) which just isn't as much fun as a good novel.
Karen Pearson wrote:if I get a paperback wet it costs me, at worst, a fiver to replace
You can buy paperback novels these days you know. :roll:
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
You can buy paperback novels these days you know. :roll:
:roll: D'oh! Stupid me!
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

i hardly ever have a bath.

EDIT: I DO!!! WELL I DONT!!!! BUT I DO! WELL i have a shower mostly.
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P