Orange Juice

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Orange Juice

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Do you drink orange juice? If so, what sort do you drink? I normally drink Tropicana. The stuff that's kept refrigerated in the shops is much better than the long life stuff. But recently I've been having Tesco's Finest freshly squeezed orange juice. And it's as much better than Tropicana and the like than they are better than long life orange juice.

Edit:Image
Last edited by Gavin Chipper on Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Orange Juice

Post by Charlie Reams »

Orange juice is in the category of things that I like but never buy. See also: carbonated water, chocolate bars, sex.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I had an argument with my girlfriend. I said if you drank twenty Tropicanas a day and had a multivitamin and cod liver oil and no food, you'd get fat. She disagreed. Any thoughts?

IAWReams on this one though.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon O'Neill wrote: I said if you drank twenty Tropicanas a day and had a multivitamin and cod liver oil and no food, you'd get fat. She disagreed. Any thoughts?
Hard to say. The best numbers I could find suggest that one serving is 100ml and 107 calories, which makes 2140 a day -- only slightly above the recommended level. Considering that you'd otherwise be pretty unhealthy, I imagine your digestive system would crap out (ha ha) and you'd absorb less than that. Nevertheless I'm suspicious about such a small serving size (does anyone get ten drinks from a 1 litre carton?), and that calorie count seems low to me judging by the sugariness of Tropicana, so I wonder if that number is wrong or out-of-date. Anyone have a carton to hand?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I quite like orange and it doesn't bother me too much which type it is. I bought some Double Concentrated Robinsons Orange though the other day (the one advertised at the moment as serving 50 cups) and it was bloody strong. I knew it would be strong but just not that strong (even with a small amount). I usually stick to the standard Robinson's Orange or even Orange and Mango for diluted orange. My favourite orange juice is probably Kia-Ora but I bought some of that from Fulton Foods not too long ago and it was out of date and there were horrible looking deposits in the bottle so I threw it and haven't bought any since. I also switch to High Juice Orange too which is 2 bottles for £2 in Sainsbury's more often than not and is decent enough value for money but it does tend to be quite bitty. For fresh orange I buy Sainsbury's 2 for £2 1 litre cartons which are quite nice. I do like Tropicana but it's pretty expensive so avoid that. Now I'm back home my mum buys Asda's own fresh orange and it isn't that great, it tastes quite bitter. So in an ideal world I would choose to buy in-date Kia-Ora but failing that I get either Robinson's (but not the sugar free one) or High Juice which are both different in taste.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote: I said if you drank twenty Tropicanas a day and had a multivitamin and cod liver oil and no food, you'd get fat. She disagreed. Any thoughts?
Hard to say. The best numbers I could find suggest that one serving is 100ml and 107 calories, which makes 2140 a day -- only slightly above the recommended level. Considering that you'd otherwise be pretty unhealthy, I imagine your digestive system would crap out (ha ha) and you'd absorb less than that. Nevertheless I'm suspicious about such a small serving size (does anyone get ten drinks from a 1 litre carton?), and that calorie count seems low to me judging by the sugariness of Tropicana, so I wonder if that number is wrong or out-of-date. Anyone have a carton to hand?
Yeah my assumption was that it'd be about double those calories. I'm sure you'd die before too long anyway.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

http://www.tropicana.co.uk/access/range.aspx

According to their own website, 86cals per 200ml glass. I think you'd actually end up malnourished rather than fat - and by malnourished, I don't mean underweight - there are loads of nutrients we don't/can't get from tablets.

I must admit that, when calorie counting I always work on a rough rule of thumb that a 200ml glass of juice, fruit smoothie or milk is roughly 100 cals. (Not counting things that call themselves smoothies but have ice cream, chocolate etc in them!)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I bought some Double Concentrated Robinsons Orange though the other day [...] I usually stick to the standard Robinson's Orange or even Orange and Mango for diluted orange. My favourite orange juice is probably Kia-Ora [...] I also switch to High Juice Orange too [...] So in an ideal world I would choose to buy in-date Kia-Ora but failing that I get either Robinson's (but not the sugar free one) or High Juice
None of these products is orange juice. This thread is about orange juice. :?
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I've found that trying more expensive juice is dangerous, because it makes you realise how crap the stuff you'd previously been drinking was. For a while we would buy the lowest tier of Sainsbury's fresh juice (as in, the stuff that is kept in refrigerators, rather than on the shelf), and then occasionally get the next level up for a treat. Unfortunately this now means that the 'regular' juice tastes really rubbish to me, so we just get the more expensive stuff all the time now. I'm not touching the Taste the Difference stuff until I have a Proper Job.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Michael Wallace wrote:I've found that trying more expensive juice is dangerous, because it makes you realise how crap the stuff you'd previously been drinking was. For a while we would buy the lowest tier of Sainsbury's fresh juice (as in, the stuff that is kept in refrigerators, rather than on the shelf), and then occasionally get the next level up for a treat. Unfortunately this now means that the 'regular' juice tastes really rubbish to me, so we just get the more expensive stuff all the time now. I'm not touching the Taste the Difference stuff until I have a Proper Job.
I find that it only tastes rubbish for a bit. I normally drink Tropicana but occasionally have the Tesco's Finest. This does damage the Tropicana but after a couple of days it's generally OK.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

There's a particular brand I like and I can't remember the name of it and I've been trying to search the internet for it and can't seem to come up with anything. I thought it was something like Kualu. It's in a black and orange carton anyway. The orange juice they do in McDonalds is nice too, I think it might be Tropicana, and on my internet search I was reminded of Capri Sun which I haven't had in years but remembered it being nice. Slightly sweeter than most orange juices.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

I went through a short period of making my own juice with one of these good old hand juicers there about a year and half ago because I moved into a house that had one in the kitchen. It generally took me about 5+ minutes and half a dozen oranges to achieve my goal of a fresh glass of juice, and the thing was pretty annoying to clean afterwards so I got fed up with it fairly quickly. Does anyone make their own juice?

P.S., Mark, you're thinking of Kulana I reckon. My granny used to always have that in the fridge. If she didn't she'd offer us 'Cow Juice' or 'Tap Juice'.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

me just a minute ago wrote:you're thinking of Kulana I reckon
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Mark James wrote:Capri Sun. Slightly sweeter than most orange juices.
That's probably because this isn't juice either.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Andy Wilson wrote:
Mark James wrote:Capri Sun. Slightly sweeter than most orange juices.
That's probably because this isn't juice either.
I occasionally had them as a kid though, I found them ridiculously exciting, even if I was really rubbish at getting the straw to go in.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Michael Wallace wrote:I occasionally had them as a kid though, I found them ridiculously exciting, even if I was really rubbish at getting the straw to go in.
There was always the upside down, foolproof method. I was a fan of them also I must say. They were a nice novelty, plus you could inflate them when they were full and explode them with your feet.

For what it's worth as an aside, I've been drinking apple, not orange juice of late because I find orange juice a little too acidic. Unlike orange juice where concentrated juice, although a nice drink that I enjoy, i feel is far inferior to the fresh stuff, I do prefer concentrated apple juice, for it's cleaner lighter texture. Every now and again I splash out on a bottle of these guys' apple and strawberry juice though. Costs 4 euro and something for a 750 ml bottle in the local shop.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Andy Wilson wrote:
me just a minute ago wrote:you're thinking of Kulana I reckon
Cheers Andy. That's the one. Lovely stuff. I'd drink an entire carton of that after a heavy session. Excellent hangover cure. On the subject of cartons I used to love those tetra pack things where you had the fold back the tabs and then squeeze it just right to open it. I've not seen them as much any more. I liked them as I was one of the few people who could actually open them and it made me feel superior, for a while at least.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I hate Capri Sun and I'm disgusted that a group of people who came out in favour of AV should hold such a dark secret.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:I occasionally had them as a kid though, I found them ridiculously exciting, even if I was really rubbish at getting the straw to go in.
No comment.

What's capri sun then? Like fake orange? What does Sunny D fall into? Surely that is orange juice, right? Sunny D used to be pretty nice when it went through that peak of fashion but it did give me bad ulcers.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
No comment.

What's capri sun then? Like fake orange? What does Sunny D fall into? Surely that is orange juice, right? Sunny D used to be pretty nice when it went through that peak of fashion but it did give me bad ulcers.
Sunny D is genetically closer to AIDS than orange juice.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

I go for Marks & Spencer's pure squeezed - usually get 3 for £5,and choose 3 different for variety.

Don't forget - avoid anything labelled 'juice drink' which is fruit-flavoured water :evil:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Mark James wrote:I used to love those tetra pack things where you had the fold back the tabs and then squeeze it just right to open it. I've not seen them as much any more. I liked them as I was one of the few people who could actually open them and it made me feel superior, for a while at least.
All the supermarkets who still do own brand value UHT juices still use Tetra Pak packaging. Tesco and Sainsbury's for example:
Image Image
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Do you drink orange juice? If so, what sort do you drink? I normally drink Tropicana. The stuff that's kept refrigerated in the shops is much better than the long life stuff. But recently I've been having Tesco's Finest freshly squeezed orange juice. And it's as much better than Tropicana and the like than they are better than long life orange juice.

Edit:Image
i dont like bitty orange juice (lol) but i like smooth tropicana. dont drink orange juice very much though. oh and i do like ORANGE and passionfruit J2O. not totally orange but still, it is partly!
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Ryan Taylor wrote:What does Sunny D fall into? Surely that is orange juice, right?
Please tell me you really are joking with all this. :shock: You're an intelligent guy - I can't believe you genuinely don't understand the difference between orange flavour drinks and actual orange juice.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:What does Sunny D fall into? Surely that is orange juice, right?
Please tell me you really are joking with all this. :shock: You're an intelligent guy - I can't believe you genuinely don't understand the difference between orange flavour drinks and actual orange juice.
Haha, thanks Phil! I know what os proper orange juice but if I poured some Robinsons into a glass and then filled it with water then I would say I have a glass of orange juice rather than a glass of an orange flavoured drink. Same if I did it with any of the other drinks mentioned in this topic, I'd always call it a glass of orange juice even if it isn't strictly true.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I poured some Robinsons into a glass and then filled it with water then I would say I have a glass of orange juice rather than a glass of an orange flavoured drink.
This is horribly wrong.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Haha, thanks Phil! I know what os proper orange juice but if I poured some Robinsons into a glass and then filled it with water then I would say I have a glass of orange juice rather than a glass of an orange flavoured drink. Same if I did it with any of the other drinks mentioned in this topic, I'd always call it a glass of orange juice even if it isn't strictly true.
There is a shorthand way of saying "orange flavoured drink". It's "orange squash".
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Sophie makes more sense than Ryan shocker.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:Haha, thanks Phil! I know what os proper orange juice but if I poured some Robinsons into a glass and then filled it with water then I would say I have a glass of orange juice rather than a glass of an orange flavoured drink. Same if I did it with any of the other drinks mentioned in this topic, I'd always call it a glass of orange juice even if it isn't strictly true.
There is a shorthand way of saying "orange flavoured drink". It's "orange squash".
Oh yeah! I think I'd still say juice though even though it's incorrect.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:I poured some Robinsons into a glass and then filled it with water then I would say I have a glass of orange juice rather than a glass of an orange flavoured drink.
This is horribly wrong.
Your horribly wrong.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Maybe this explains why asking for "an orange juice and lemonade" had a less than 100% success rate in the Lake District for me this week. One ended up as lemonade with some orange squash, the other came out as orange juice, with no lemonade, despite what I thought was a helpful mime. I should have asked for a beer instead. (Though perhaps I would have been given some beer-flavoured water.)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I'm with Ryan - I just say juice for anything fruity.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Brian Moore wrote:Sophie makes more sense than Ryan
Woo hoo :D :D :D :) :lol: :P HA HA to ryan!!
Brian Moore wrote:Shocker.
:o :o :roll: :roll: ...But NO WAY is that a shocker!
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P