Wedding Gifts

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Mike Brown
Legend

Wedding Gifts

Post by Mike Brown »

As c4c is undoubtedly the source of all useful knowledge (outside of Wikipedia, of course), I thought I'd ask you all for some advice.

I'm going to a wedding next month and the happy couple haven't got a wedding list, as they pretty much already have one of most things (and probably two of several things) and some of their friends probably aren't that well off either. However (and here's where I'm after some input), I feel I should buy them something anyway - nothing too pricey, mind, and nothing that comes over as cheap, either. I know the groom pretty well (I've worked with him for about 15 years), the bride hardly at all.

Any bright ideas?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Re: Wedding Gifts

Post by Mark James »

My favourite present to both give and receive for any occasion is cash. Just put it in a nice card.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

My older sister got married (again) last year and when I asked about a gift, she said she and my brother-in-law-to-be already had everything they needed and that she couldn't think of anything. Later on however, she asked if I'd take her some of the rhubarb out of my garden so she could make a rhubarb pie.Interesting how some small things have value :)
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Last two weddings I went to: first one, I asked the groom and was told they'd prefer a few quid in a card as the whole thing was costing an arm and a leg. The next one was a mate who came back from overseas to get wed so I got 'em an oil painting of a local landmark as it was easy to pack and take home and although a Roscommon couple, he'd a grandmother from Cork so used to visit a lot - and to remind them of me :)

So, get 'em a toaster.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

If they have the important material things, buy them an "experience". How about a dinner-for-two and a theatre visit or a week-end break to be taken in a few months? My wife and I have been given these type gifts over the years and always enjoy them. Never used this firm but have a look at the following for ideas: http://www.gettingpersonal.co.uk/experi ... or-Two.htm
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Cash is the worst gift in virtually every circumstance, IMO. You give them cash, they give you cash back, it's all a waste of time and doesn't convey any personal consideration which is (I think) the real point of gifts, especially for adults.

How about a puppy? They can always have it put down when it gets too big.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Chris Corby wrote:If they have the important material things, buy them an "experience". How about a dinner-for-two and a theatre visit or a week-end break to be taken in a few months? My wife and I have been given these type gifts over the years and always enjoy them. Never used this firm but have a look at the following for ideas: http://www.gettingpersonal.co.uk/experi ... or-Two.htm
My favourite answer so far, Chris. Thanks for that.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Charlie Reams wrote:Cash is the worst gift in virtually every circumstance, IMO. You give them cash, they give you cash back, it's all a waste of time and doesn't convey any personal consideration which is (I think) the real point of gifts, especially for adults.

How about a puppy? They can always have it put down when it gets too big.
And thanks for your comments, Charlie. The first one, anyway!
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

I take it you've been to the wedding now? What did you get them?
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Soph K wrote:I take it you've been to the wedding now? What did you get them?
Mike created the topic last night and he says the wedding is next month so he's not been yet so you can still suggest gifts for him to get.

I'm going to suggest his and hers slippers.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Mike created the topic last night
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :D :D :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Mike created the topic last night
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :D :D :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: thought it was the middle of may for some reason!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :shock: :shock: :? :? :? :? :? :? :oops: :lol: :lol: :oops: :roll: :roll:
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

I tend to agree that giving cash is a bit lacking in thought. I personally hate receiving cash as I know I'll just end up spending it on grocery shopping or something equally uninspiring.

In a similar vein to Andy's, how about a nice painting or old photo of the wedding venue. We did this once for some friends who married in Ireland (and it was a lot easier to get back to the UK than the coffee table and Ali Baba basket that some other friends bought!).

For our wedding, we asked our friends to take a tenner and go to their local junk shop and find us something interesting and we got some amazing presents: An old Belgian telephone (although I suspect that cost more than a tenner!), an old French wire egg basket, an old stoneware hot water bottle, a stoneware cider jar, old kitchen scales amongst other things.

How about an old apple crate style planter with their names on, that you can plant up with a favourite plant or herbs or strawberries or something?
http://www.plantabox.co.uk/webshop/planter-crates/