Sophie Krol's Musings - and your comments about them.

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Soph K
Devotee

Sophie Krol's Musings - and your comments about them.

Post by Soph K »

Hi everyone,
Firstly I want to say this: if you don't like this topic, don't blame me - blame Adam Gillard, it was his idea for me to make a topic named Sophie Krol's Musings.

1) Right then, I had a Grade 2 Violin Exam today. I was very nervous, but it did go well. If you are ever quite nervous about anything you are about to do, eat a banana (if you like them) roughly 25 minutes before the thing, as - as well as being healthy and having a lot of vitamins in them - they are supposed to calm you down. My violin teacher told me that. It's called the Banana Trick. I tried it today. It worked for me a bit. I also teach myself a bit of keyboard. I like lots of music, really. Do you play any instruments?

2) What is your favourite shop? I really like Marks and Spencer and Claire's, but as I go through life, I will undoubtably explore different shops - so I don't think M&S is my best shop. I don't particularly have one. Not yet, anyway.
Last edited by Soph K on Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Sophie Krol's Musings - and your comments about them.

Post by Michael Wallace »

Soph K wrote:Do you play any instruments?
I play the double bass, and had lessons (but would never really claim I could 'play') on the piano. I remember the ordeal of music grade exams, glad they're (long) behind me.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Michael Wallace wrote:I play the double bass
<3
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Soph K wrote:if you don't like this topic, don't blame me - blame Adam Gillard, it was his idea for me to make a topic named Sophie Krol's Musings.
Yep. I can feel the blame already. But the idea was that lots of musings could be contained within this single topic, without the need to create a new topic every time.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Soph K wrote:It's called the Banana Trick.
I wonder why it's called that? I might suggest to Susie Dent that she covers it in her "Origin of Words" segment.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Jon Corby wrote:
I wonder why it's called that? I might suggest to Susie Dent that she covers it in her "Origin of Words" segment.
This sort of thing only happens when Tim Vine is on ("as cold as ice" etc.)

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Has Sophie's ban on new topics been lifted, or was it just a temporary measure for this one?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Has Sophie's ban on new topics been lifted, or was it just a temporary measure for this one?
It was only a request. It's now a ban.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Has Sophie's ban on new topics been lifted, or was it just a temporary measure for this one?
...which means that my idea that all of Sophie's topic ideas should be in a single topic may actually come to fruition.

Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

I like your thread Sophie. It's a good idea.
Good luck with your violin exam. When do you get the result?
I play piano and guitar.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
This thread was Gillard's fault. You should ban him too.

(Not really, Adam!)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:This thread was Gillard's fault. You should ban him too.
If he doesn't, I think it will finally validate the 'misogynist' claims handed down by all those stupid crazy rabid women back in the day.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Jon Corby wrote:
I might suggest to Susie Dent that she covers it in her "Origin of Words" segment.
No
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Ralph Gillions wrote:When do you get the result?
In a couple of weeks I think. The sight reading was really hard! The sight reading only is out of 21 I think, so I think I just got about 13...
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Adam Gillard wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
...which means that my idea that all of Sophie's topic ideas should be in a single topic may actually come to fruition.
what does fruition mean?
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Soph K wrote:what does fruition mean?
Sophie, I know you're young, but you'd help yourself here (if I may be so bold) if you didn't ask questions that a simple Google search would answer. Now a question like "what have you got left if you've eaten one of the two bits of those double Mars Bars" is a much more c4c-type of question, as we're into the realms of philosophy, and the sort of question that some of the finest minds on the internet like to chew over.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Brian Moore wrote:
Sophie, I know you're young, but you'd help yourself here (if I may be so bold) if you didn't ask questions that a simple Google search would answer. Now a question like "what have you got left if you've eaten one of the two bits of those double Mars Bars" is a much more c4c-type of question, as we're into the realms of philosophy, and the sort of question that some of the finest minds on the internet like to chew over.
Well said.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Charlie Reams wrote:Well said.
.. apart from my typo - I should have said "the reams of philosophy", obviously.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Brian Moore wrote:
Well said.
* LIKE *
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Soph K wrote:
Ralph Gillions wrote:When do you get the result?
In a couple of weeks I think. The sight reading was really hard! The sight reading only is out of 21 I think, so I think I just got about 13...
Let us know when you get the result. Fingers crossed!
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Brian Moore wrote:

Very nicely put Brian.

I would add that it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect everyone on this forum (given it is a forum dedicated to a word game) to either have access to a dictionary or to be able to look words up on Google.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Brian Moore wrote:Google search

OR Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, MSN...etc etc. ;)
Brian, I know you're an adult, but you shouldn't just say Google when there are plenty other search engines. :D lol
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Do you like Harry Potter? Which is your favourite episode/book? Mine is probably the 7th.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Soph K wrote:OR Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer, MSN...etc etc. ;)
Brian, I know you're an adult, but you shouldn't just say Google when there are plenty other search engines. :D lol
I'm also a pedant, so ought to point out that Firefox and Internet Explorer are browsers, and MSN is a portal.

Yes, there are lots of other search engines out there, but (and I'm not just saying this because Charlie worked for Google) Google seems to do a good job (and, also has entered the language as a verb.)

Sophie, you're so lucky to have these incredible resources at your fingertips. When I was at school (a mere 30 years or so ago), the only sources of information were teachers and books (so more or less unchanged from the previous 3000 years). If I came home from school and needed to know something, and I didn't have the relevant book at home and the local library was closed, I was stuffed. Later on posh people got TVs with Teletext (I think the Romans invented that). If you went to the library when it was open, you had to wade through catalogues (and bibliographies if you were really keen), and then actually read the books. There really has been an information revolution since then - I did an academic course a few years ago, and couldn't believe the amount of fully searchable academic (and other) texts that were out there. So if you want to become an expert on anything, (on the meaning of 'fruition' or, in my case 'participatory discrepancies') you can get close to the current thinking on just about any subject pretty quickly.

You'll get a long way if you learn to ask intelligent questions ... and then find out how to answer them. And then you'll find for each question you've answered, you'll have half a dozen more questions. That's what learning is all about. If you have an insatiable appetite to learn, and know how to learn, you'll go far.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Weird and wonderful world records!
Post here about weird, wonderful, gross, amazing world records!!

P.s. Please can I make my own threads now again Charlie?
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Brian Moore wrote:
I'm also a pedant, so ought to point out that Firefox and Internet Explorer are browsers, and MSN is a portal.

Yes, there are lots of other search engines out there, but (and I'm not just saying this because Charlie worked for Google) Google seems to do a good job (and, also has entered the language as a verb.)

Sophie, you're so lucky to have these incredible resources at your fingertips. When I was at school (a mere 30 years or so ago), the only sources of information were teachers and books (so more or less unchanged from the previous 3000 years). If I came home from school and needed to know something, and I didn't have the relevant book at home and the local library was closed, I was stuffed. Later on posh people got TVs with Teletext (I think the Romans invented that). If you went to the library when it was open, you had to wade through catalogues (and bibliographies if you were really keen), and then actually read the books. There really has been an information revolution since then - I did an academic course a few years ago, and couldn't believe the amount of fully searchable academic (and other) texts that were out there. So if you want to become an expert on anything, (on the meaning of 'fruition' or, in my case 'participatory discrepancies') you can get close to the current thinking on just about any subject pretty quickly.

You'll get a long way if you learn to ask intelligent questions ... and then find out how to answer them. And then you'll find for each question you've answered, you'll have half a dozen more questions. That's what learning is all about. If you have an insatiable appetite to learn, and know how to learn, you'll go far.
Ok ok I get the picture!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Soph K wrote:
Brian Moore wrote:

Ok ok I get the picture!
I'm not sure you do, as that would involve doing a Google search and then changing it from Web to Images, which is even more clicks.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Soph K wrote:Ok ok I get the picture!
I'm not sure you do, as that would involve doing a Google search and then changing it from Web to Images, which is even more clicks.
I may be the youngest on Apterous and C4C, but I am not a dumbo. :P :roll:
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Soph K wrote:I may be the youngest on Apterous and C4C :P :roll:
No, you're not. Most verbose possibly, but not the youngest.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

(In case you're wondering, my brother Max has an apterous account, and he's 8.)
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Lesley Hines wrote:
but not the youngest.
Aren't i? Who's the youngest then?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Soph K wrote:
Lesley Hines wrote:
but not the youngest.
Kai Laddiman wrote:(In case you're wondering, my brother Max has an apterous account, and he's 8.)
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Soph K wrote:
Lesley Hines wrote:
but not the youngest.
Kai Laddiman wrote:(In case you're wondering, my brother Max has an apterous account, and he's 8.)
[/quote]
Oh. I've never ever seen Max Laddiman on Apterous though...

Anyways, I still am the youngest on c4c, arent i
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Lowering the averages since 2009
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Lesley Hines wrote:Image
???????? I really don't get why you put that on
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Stop digging Sophie. Stop digging.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Any news of your violin results yet Sophie?
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Ralph Gillions wrote:Any news of your violin results yet Sophie?
Yes.

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I would be blown away if there's anybody who still can't understand why the Sanctum existed.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:I would be blown away if there's anybody who still can't understand why the Sanctum existed.
ExistED? You don't fool me for one second, Morrison.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Matt Morrison wrote:I would be blown away if there's anybody who still can't understand why the Sanctum existed.
I was never sure if it was intended as a place for serious discussion of matters relating to the Channel 4 game show Countdown without being distracted by the inanities of the riff-raff, or whether it was just for slagging of said riff-raff behind their backs. Either way, it must be buzzing now.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

David Williams wrote:
I was never sure if it was intended as a place for serious discussion of matters relating to the Channel 4 game show Countdown without being distracted by the inanities of the riff-raff, or whether it was just for slagging of said riff-raff behind their backs. Either way, it must be buzzing now.
Both. And no, not at all.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Matt Morrison wrote:
David Williams wrote:
Both. And no, not at all.
May it's just that Countdown's going nowhere at the moment, and there's nothing new to discuss.

Don't you wish Jeff and Rachel would drop the leaden scripted joke and banter at the start? It's just embarrassing.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

David Williams wrote:Don't you wish Jeff and Rachel would drop the leaden scripted joke and banter at the start? It's just embarrassing.
Yep. Oh look a joke about Jeff's height. Oh look a joke about Man United or Hartlepool. Oh look a joke about Rachel being young and not knowing what Jeff is on about. Definitely something needs to be done, I can barely watch Countdown 'live' anymore because of this, it's far easier to just skip through it all in about 10 minutes skipping all the poor banter.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

At least they bring smiles to the programme.
Apart from attractive Andrew and happy Emma, we have had a run of UNsmiling contestants.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Do a lot of people watch Countdown for the smiles?
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Charlie Reams wrote:Do a lot of people watch Countdown for the smiles?
I doubt it. :) But smiles are nice.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
David Williams wrote:Don't you wish Jeff and Rachel would drop the leaden scripted joke and banter at the start? It's just embarrassing.
Yep. Oh look a joke about Jeff's height. Oh look a joke about Man United or Hartlepool. Oh look a joke about Rachel being young and not knowing what Jeff is on about. Definitely something needs to be done, I can barely watch Countdown 'live' anymore because of this, it's far easier to just skip through it all in about 10 minutes skipping all the poor banter.
I was saying this about Whiteley and Vorderman in the 90s, tedious shite. Cut the programme back to half an hour and just get on with it.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Ian Volante wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
I was saying this about Whiteley and Vorderman in the 90s, tedious shite. Cut the programme back to half an hour and just get on with it.
Me too, but in the pre-digital age I used to watch it. RW was very good at off-the-cuff wittering, and CV was sharp enough to come up with a response every time. People did watch just for the banter. I bet they don't now. Jeff in particular is an excellent host, but some entertaining people just can't tell jokes.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Ryan Taylor wrote: Yep. Oh look a joke about Jeff's height. Oh look a joke about Man United or Hartlepool. Oh look a joke about Rachel being young and not knowing what Jeff is on about. Definitely something needs to be done, I can barely watch Countdown 'live' anymore because of this, it's far easier to just skip through it all in about 10 minutes skipping all the poor banter.
To me, Countdown seems to have an identity crisis. It wants to be, as Damian quite beautifully put it 'a unique oasis of intellectual, enjoyable interactivity in a minefield of televisual shit' and avoid being like the inane crap which is DOND, yet it doesn't want to portray itself as élitist and dominated geeky kids like myself, or serious like University Challenge or Mastermind. I'm bored by the jokes and 'banter', but I guess it's not supposed to appeal to people like me. Then again Ryan, considering you read the DM, I thought you'd enjoy the constant talk of how political correctness has gone mad, a topic nearly as common as the ones you've listed. For an example of how chat should be done, watch Only Connect, Vicky Coren (calm down Charlie + others) is able to make comments which are interesting and occasionally humorous.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Oliver Garner wrote:Vicky Coren
uhhh
Oliver Garner wrote: (calm down Charlie + others)
Too late.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Oliver Garner wrote:Vicky Coren
uhhh
Oliver Garner wrote: (calm down Charlie + others)
Too late.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

HELLO HELLO HELLO PEOPLE.
QUESTION IS: IS JAMES NGUYEN ON GUESS-A-SKETCH (the awesome website that i go on and i tell people on apterous i go on etc) WITH A NAME 'JULIENGUYEN'?
cos on there i said 'do you go on apterous?' and also 'i am sophie and i am random, do you know me now?' He replied 'whatever' and 'i really dont care, coolchicxox' (coolchicxox is my name on there) and would not answer my question.
JAMES PLEASE TELL ME THE TRUTH AND OTHER PEOPLE, WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Bye Bye Bye Bye Bye Bye Bye people. Soph!!
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Think we've been krolled over again.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

As Liam Gallagher once said 'you gotta Krol with it'
Glad your phread's not been locked yet.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Think we've been krolled over again.
what do u mean but KROLLED?!?
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Why do I bother?
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Why do I bother?
I worry for you Rhys. I think I made it to at least 14 before this became my outlook on life.

Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Adam Gillard wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:Why do I bother?
I worry for you Rhys. I think I made it to at least 14 before this became my outlook on life.
I didn't even get that far.