Weetabix

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Weetabix

Post by Michael Wallace »

Can someone explain to me how you're supposed to eat Weetabix? If you put two in the bowl at once then by the time you finish the first one the second one has turned to mush. At the moment I only have one in the bowl at once, but even then I have to eat the first one quite quickly to avoid mushiness. Is my bowl the wrong shape or something?

Also, I should point out my most recent experience is with Oatibix, but I remember similar experiences of Weetabix, so I presume there isn't much difference.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Weetabix

Post by Matt Morrison »

Wrong type of milk?!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

It depends if you prefer it hot or cold, I suppose.

If cold, just eat them as quick as you can, is my suggestion.

I personally prefer to microwave them, so they're already mushed, but it's nice and warm, and feels very filling. And even having bits of sliced banana on top makes it taste even better too. :P
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

James Robinson wrote:It depends if you prefer it hot or cold, I suppose.

If cold, just eat them as quick as you can, is my suggestion.

I personally prefer to microwave them, so they're already mushed, but it's nice and warm, and feels very filling. And even having bits of sliced banana on top makes it taste even better too. :P
I detest mushy cereal, it's like, should I chew this shit or what? I guess I don't like things that are ambiguous about whether they're a food or a drink (soup is usually fine, because either it's just something you drink, or it's really stodgy and has potatoes in and stuff). I think it's the same reason I could never work out rice pudding.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:I guess I don't like things that are ambiguous about whether they're a food or a drink
I'm not sure it's wet and thin enough to consider drinking, surely? Unless you have some kind of Power Throat set up that allows you to drink foods such as mashed potato and mushy peas.
Maybe you ARE using the wrong type of milk. Or just too much.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:I guess I don't like things that are ambiguous about whether they're a food or a drink
I'm not sure it's wet and thin enough to consider drinking, surely? Unless you have some kind of Power Throat set up that allows you to drink foods such as mashed potato and mushy peas.
Maybe you ARE using the wrong type of milk. Or just too much.
This has happened with both Sainsbury's semi-skimmed and Sainsbury's mostly-skimmed (the orange one), so I don't think it could be that. Maybe I'm using too much milk, but if you don't use very much all that happens is the bottom half of the Weetabix sucks up all the milk and you're left with a completely dry half and a completely soggy half. Is that what God intended?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I eat three for breakfast, and I just eat them quickly enough that the mushiness doesn't become too much of a problem, although it's always the case that the last couple of spoonfuls is struggling to hold its shape.

As for warm Weetabix, I think that would be very similar to eating sick.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:Maybe I'm using too much milk, but if you don't use very much all that happens is the bottom half of the Weetabix sucks up all the milk and you're left with a completely dry half and a completely soggy half. Is that what God intended?
Maybe you've stumbled upon the answer. Maybe God intended for you to turn over the Weetabix and re-milk them, thus ensuring the correct milk distribution throughout the bix. God insists you must work hard to achieve the perfect bix.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Warm Weetabix is nice, although I do prefer it cold. I like to let it go mushy, then suck all of the milk out (force it out with a spoon mostly), then sprinkle a little sugar on top, then eat it sort of like a pudding.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Maybe I'm using too much milk, but if you don't use very much all that happens is the bottom half of the Weetabix sucks up all the milk and you're left with a completely dry half and a completely soggy half. Is that what God intended?
Maybe you've stumbled upon the answer. Maybe God intended for you to turn over the Weetabix and re-milk them, thus ensuring the correct milk distribution throughout the bix. God insists you must work hard to achieve the perfect bix.
If this were the case, surely there would be instructions on the box?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Step 1: Stack Weetabix side by side on their long thin side in a bowl. 2 or 3 depending on hunger/bowl size.
Step 2: Fill any gaps at the side of the bowl with yummy fruit. Chopped bananas and/or berries and/or grapes do the job for me.
Step 3: Pour a small amount of milk slowly over the surface of the Weetabix. You want just enough so that it doesn't saturate the bottom of the Weetabix. The tallness of the Weetabix stood on their side allows the milk to slowly drain through it allowing for an even distribution so it doesn't get too mushy.
Step 4: Dollop a tasty yoghurt on top. Vanilla Muller Lite with black cherry underlayer is my personal favourite. It redresses the balance of moisture without permeating the Weetabix.
Step 5: Enjoy your nutritious breakfast treat. Repeat every other day alternating with a different breakfast so it doesn't get too samey.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
If this were the case, surely there would be instructions on the box?
Weetabox?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I've been eating Weetabix for years and know what I'm talking about.

If possible, use a bowl where you can put two Weetabixes side by side. Put two Weetabixes side by side. Pour the milk over the top, but you only really need enough so that it won't be dry in the middle. Experience has told me it's generally a lot less than you'd intuitively think. Then put sugar over them and eat with a spoon. Unless you eat very slowly, it shouldn't turn to mush.

Now you are ready for your Oatibix course. Different rules apply here. Oatibixes (which should be Oatabixes) are manufactured to a much lower standard than Weetabixes. The amount of milk you need to use depends on the quality of the batch. Normally you need more milk to penetrate than you would with Weetabixes, and it will generally be a more mushy meal.

Once I had such a poor batch that whatever I did, there was still a big risk of it being like sawdust in the middle. I poured on hot milk, turned them over, and poured on even more hot milk and yet sawdust remained. That level of extreme was a one-off, but they are inconsistent.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

It's a matter of taste.
Some people just lightly moisten so that some crispiness is retained.
Some use a lot of milk and mix it all up into a mush.
Others spread butter on one side and eat them dry.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

It pleases me I'm not the only one that uses the side by side method. Also I agree Not-made-with-wheat-made-with-oats-instead-abix are shithouse. I normally buy Tesco Wheat Biscuits as they're a bit cheaper than Weetabix but this week 36xbiscuit packs of proper Weetabix are £2 so I got those. They're only slightly better (about 15% better) than Tesco brand though which are quite good.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ralph Gillions wrote:It's a matter of taste.
Some people just lightly moisten so that some crispiness is retained.
Some use a lot of milk and mix it all up into a mush.
Others spread butter on one side and eat them dry.
Enough about your sex life, Ralph.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

What's the difference between Weetabix and Oatibix?

Weetabix is weetily recognised, but Oatibix is oatally different!!!!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ralph Gillions wrote:Others spread butter on one side and eat them dry.
Quite hard when you're in a straight jacket. Good poem though.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I haven't had Weetabix for years but I'm sure I used to pour milk on them, put in microwave and then pour treacle on them. My only advice for you is if you're complaining about Weetabix then just switch to another cereal.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

I gave up Weetabix when I found no solution to the mushiness problem. :evil:
Now I'd only consider buying the stuff if there was nothing else but sugary cereals. :roll:
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Jon Corby wrote:Warm Weetabix is nice, although I do prefer it cold. I like to let it go mushy, then suck all of the milk out (force it out with a spoon mostly), then sprinkle a little sugar on top, then eat it sort of like a pudding.
Yup, that's the same as my recipe, but I can't remember which book it came out of. I certainly can't remember how old I was when I started eating Weetabix.

Digressing - a bowl of Shreddies with a knob of butter on the flat rim used to be a favourite - each Shreddie getting a little bit of butter from the knob. The art was to get just the right amount of butter so that the last Shreddie used the last little bit of butter. I haven't done this since I was about 11, I'd guess, but it was an occasional evening diversion then. It was probably my parents' way of keeping me quiet, as a change from mowing the lawn with scissors.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Brian Moore wrote: Digressing - a bowl of Shreddies with a knob of butter on the flat rim used to be a favourite - each Shreddie getting a little bit of butter from the knob. The art was to get just the right amount of butter so that the last Shreddie used the last little bit of butter.
What the actual fuck?
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Brian Moore wrote: Digressing - a bowl of Shreddies with a knob of butter on the flat rim used to be a favourite - each Shreddie getting a little bit of butter from the knob. The art was to get just the right amount of butter so that the last Shreddie used the last little bit of butter.
What the actual fuck?
Any odder than putting butter on bread, in dietary terms?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Brian Moore wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
What the actual fuck?
Any odder than putting butter on bread, in dietary terms?
It's just wrong!

This forum is the only place where I've come across (*yawn*) people who have such diverse breakfasts and very particular eating habits. All the people in my life would just eat one of the traditional brand cereals and in fact most of my friends don't even have breakfast at all. Just the other day I read something about having a glass of port with a slice of cheese. I mean, who does that? It's the 21st century where cheap, sugary snacks and drinks are king. Is it a social class thing? Probably.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Ryan Taylor wrote:It's just wrong!
OK, I'll admit it does sound a bit odd now, but I liked Shreddies, and I liked butter, and the two went together quite nicely, I seem to remember, though I've not tried it in about 35 years.

It IS all a matter of taste. To me, anything sweet on bread and butter is just wrong. Bread -salty; butter - salty: a savoury combination. But I believe that some people put jam, marmalade or honey on bread. Very odd.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Brian Moore wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:It's just wrong!
It IS all a matter of taste. To me, anything sweet on bread and butter is just wrong. Bread -salty; butter - salty: a savoury combination. But I believe that some people put jam, marmalade or honey on bread. Very odd.
Peanut butter. (The peanuts are salted).
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Just the other day I read something about having a glass of port with a slice of cheese. I mean, who does that?
Have you ever visited Cambridge?
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Peanut butter. (The peanuts are salted).
The King asked
The Queen, and
The Queen asked
The Dairymaid:
"Could we have some peanut butter for
The Royal slice of bread?"

Nope, won't do. It doesn't scan.

Anyway, I have double standards. I like bread, and I like peanuts, but I've never smeared peanut butter on bread. For some completely illogical reason, the thought makes me squirm.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:Just the other day I read something about having a glass of port with a slice of cheese. I mean, who does that?
Have you ever visited Cambridge?
No but there's a guy on my uni course who is from March which I gather is near Cambridge. He pronounces grass as "grarse" and castle as "carstle". He had also never had cheesy chips as a meal before or ever seen or tasted chip spice for that matter. Apaprently only Hull does chip spice wtf? My image of Cambridge is of people walking around with jumpers strewn over their shoulders with quiffs like tidal waves who enjoy taking a bicycle trip to the river, putting on a straw hat and then jumping in a rowing boat and discussing which wines taste the best. Is that what it's like?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ryan Taylor wrote:He pronounces grass as "grarse" and castle as "carstle".
Good.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

One of my Countdown opponents (Gary McInerny or something I think his name was?) had orange juice on his cornflakes instead of milk.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:Can someone explain to me how you're supposed to eat Weetabix? If you put two in the bowl at once then by the time you finish the first one the second one has turned to mush. At the moment I only have one in the bowl at once, but even then I have to eat the first one quite quickly to avoid mushiness. Is my bowl the wrong shape or something?

Also, I should point out my most recent experience is with Oatibix, but I remember similar experiences of Weetabix, so I presume there isn't much difference.

.... and also I have never managed to dish out two Weetabix without getting crumbs over the table! And my hands don't even shake yet. Eat em very quickly after putting the milk on is my tip, I usually have finished them before they go mushy. Don't talk until they are all gone. Also over the years I have tried all supermarket varieties of Weetabix impressions and all have been like sawdust. The one exception is the Waitrose version and I never thought I would say this - prefer them to the real thing. Try em and save some money too!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon O'Neill wrote:One of my Countdown opponents (Gary McInerny or something I think his name was?) had orange juice on his cornflakes instead of milk.
I used to know someone that did cherryade on cornflakes.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I don't understand, what's strange about that? Cheese goes brilliantly with port (or red wine for that matter). What would you suggest as an accompaniment to port? Chip spice (whatever the fuck that is)?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:Chip spice (whatever the fuck that is)?
Had to look it up, I'm as interested in chips and spices as Scott Gillies is in half pizza crunches - so here we go: http://www.chipspice.co.uk/content/6-wh ... chip-spice
A mix of salt, tomato powder, paprika, onion and garlic. Mad big in Hull apparently. I'm looking forward to visiting you Ryan. Actually, can you bring a little bit to Colin?
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Jon Corby wrote:
I don't understand, what's strange about that? Cheese goes brilliantly with port (or red wine for that matter). ...
But not for breakfast :!: :roll:
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon Corby wrote:
I don't understand, what's strange about that? Cheese goes brilliantly with port (or red wine for that matter). What would you suggest as an accompaniment to port? Chip spice (whatever the fuck that is)?
I don't know because I don't fricking drink red wine or port!
Matt Morrison wrote:
Had to look it up, I'm as interested in chips and spices as Scott Gillies is in half pizza crunches - so here we go: http://www.chipspice.co.uk/content/6-wh ... chip-spice
A mix of salt, tomato powder, paprika, onion and garlic. Mad big in Hull apparently. I'm looking forward to visiting you Ryan. Actually, can you bring a little bit to Colin?
Are you being serious? Have you really never heard of it? Or are you just playing silly devils with me?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
Are you being serious? Have you really never heard of it? Or are you just playing silly devils with me?
Of course I haven't fucking heard of it. Even the site says it's only used in Hull. And America. And yes of course I want you to fucking bring some to Colin. I'm interested, although it sounds a little dry.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

So I just tried my first serious attempt at eating Oatibix without fucking it up. It looks like (unsurprisingly, I suppose) I was using too much milk, but trying to slowly slosh it on wasn't great either. I get my milk in 4 pint bottles, which makes it quite hard to get a small trickle going. I started off with the 'bix on their long edges (as suggested by Dinos) and pouring milk slowly on top, trying to minimise how much fell off either side. This proved a bit difficult, and it's also very hard to judge (as Gevin noted) when optimal saturation has occurred. I eventually knocked one over to investigate and it was completely dry on one side, not good.

From here I then tried splashing milk on top and waiting until it seemed soft on top. This worked slightly better, but still suffered from it being hard to detect penetration. Eventually it all went tits up as I lost control of my milk stream and everything went to mush.

Shall have to try harder tomorrow.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:I don't know because I don't fricking drink red wine or port!
Oh! How frightfully common, you ghastly little man.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote: Are you being serious? Have you really never heard of it? Or are you just playing silly devils with me?
Of course I haven't fucking heard of it. Even the site says it's only used in Hull. And America. And yes of course I want you to fucking bring some to Colin. I'm interested, although it sounds a little dry.
I'm from t'other side of Yorkshire and I know nowt of it. Funneh place, Ull.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

I hate mushy weetabix too, but have a much simpler solution to the problem. I break my 2 morning weetabix into 4 half weetabix and eat them one half bix at a time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

By the way, I'm disturbed by the way some of you are writing. The plural of "Weetabix" is "Weetabixes".
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote:By the way, I'm disturbed by the way some of you are writing. The plural of "Weetabix" is "Weetabixes".
Actually, Weetabix is the plural, Weetabic is the singular. Duh.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Anyone know what WEETABICES+P is?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Anyone know what WEETABICES+P is?
Soggy Weetabices?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Obviously WEETABICES is the other valid plural. Well spotted. Never pissed on mine though. Charlie has (on his).
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:Anyone know what WEETABICES+P is?
Soggy Weetabices?
A+
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Chris Corby wrote:.... and also I have never managed to dish out two Weetabix without getting crumbs over the table!
Hang on a minute, didn't you buy a special Weetabix container/dispenser specifically because of this? Was it rubbish?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

A new attempt today. I laid them out side-by-side and tried slowly sploshing milk on top of them. This seemed to be going well - I could get most of the milk to be directly absorbed with only a little bit splashing off the sides and into the base of the bowl. But then I found that whilst the 'bix seemed to be bordering on 'too mushy' they were still, somehow, too dry (in a Jacob's Cracker Challenge kind of way). Odd.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Jon Corby wrote:
Chris Corby wrote:.... and also I have never managed to dish out two Weetabix without getting crumbs over the table!
Hang on a minute, didn't you buy a special Weetabix container/dispenser specifically because of this? Was it rubbish?
I think you have your wires crossed. I had a dispenser for Ryvita biscuits, like most people do.............
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Chris Corby wrote:I think you have your wires crossed. I had a dispenser for Ryvita biscuits, like most people do.............
Ah yes, of course. I think you must have mentioned about inventing a crumb-free Weetabix dispenser, and it would make you millions. (Sorry if anyone reads this and steals your idea.)

I had Weetabix this morning for breakfast, and because of this thread I concentrated a little more. They started out a bit soft but with some crunch, and gradually got softer. And it was all good, it doesn't matter. You're a bunch of pansies.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Obviously WEETABICES is the other valid plural. Well spotted. Never pissed on mine though. Charlie has (on his).
This would follow VERTEX/VERTICES. I'm even tempted to start using this as the plural.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I took more notice of my breakfast today. Shame it was toast really.

However, yesterday, I had three Weetabix. I have two laid side-by-side in the bottom of the bowl with one laid on top in the same direction. Milk gets poured on the top one, and is deep enough to cover the bottom two. This arrangement appears to provide stability to the bix while also having enough wetness for a pleasant eat.

Honey (acacia usually, don't go for that bee stuff) on top of course too, don't think that makes too much difference.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Image Image
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

The Weetabix FAQ recommends that you don't eat more than 4 'bix a day. So now you know.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Joseph Krol wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Obviously WEETABICES is the other valid plural. Well spotted. Never pissed on mine though. Charlie has (on his).
This would follow VERTEX/VERTICES. I'm even tempted to start using this as the plural.
Thanks for explaining.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote:Image Image
Yes, that is what I look like first thing in the morning.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ian Volante wrote:Honey (acacia usually, don't go for that bee stuff) on top of course too, don't think that makes too much difference.
Is acacia honey from wasps or something?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:Honey (acacia usually, don't go for that bee stuff) on top of course too, don't think that makes too much difference.
Is acacia honey from wasps or something?
Acacias, obviously.