Music

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Re: Music

Post by Andy Wilson »

By the way, I really like music
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Interesting chat indeed. I reckon that there's a strong contextual element to this. Adam, Brian and John all sound to an extent that they're not into (all, much or some genres of) music, it looks probable to me that simply not growing up with certain types of music means that the context in which to appreciate that music simply isn't there.

I, for example, grew up with very little classical music in my life, and I therefore find it difficult to appreciate much beyond the very well known pieces (O Fortuna, Bach's Toccata and Fugue, Nessum Dorma etc), and that goes even more for jazz. Whereas music that my mum played when I was very young, or things I heard as I was growing up fit into my mental framework from those times, sort of similarly to how smells influence memory.

I've gradually worked out that to expand my tastes into new areas, I need to do a combination of repetition and combination. Or more clearly, I listen to something lots, and attach it to something else, such as a film (soundtrack), or an activity.

I find it much easier to appreciate a piece of music if I hear it along with a video for example.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Jon Corby wrote:Satan has taken music and he has counterfeited it, convoluted it, twisted it, exploited it and now he's using it to hammer, hammer, hammer, hammer, hammer a message into the minds and the lifestyles of this generation.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Adam Gillard wrote:Then again, I'm thinking of 'music' here mostly in the narrow sense of the stuff that's released into the charts. People singing / playing musical instruments can be OK as long as it's not too loud. Here's the big controversial no-no though: (I think) I could live without it (sorry ABBA).

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only person on this forum who feels this way about music, as it seems to be an extremely rare standpoint (it is possible to like other things without liking music; I'm not a completely miserable sod). Does anyone else feel this way or even understand this viewpoint?
I find it quite interesting, I've never actually met anyone who doesn't like music before; sure, I know people who don't like much music, but maybe they're just very selective and elitist, and I know people who only like a very narrow genre of music to the exclusion of all else (but that tends to be a fashion or scene thing, rather than the music itself). But not liking music in general is a new one on me.

What about other things that aren't music per se? Speech can be musical (I find the patterns of English spoken with a Welsh accent very musical, for instance) and so can many other sounds you might hear on a day to day basis - a shallow stream flowing over rocks, the wind blowing through the trees, even traffic sometimes can have rhythmic patterns that could approximate to music. Maybe it's sound you don't like, rather than music?
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Brian Moore wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:I don't follow the normal culture and views that come along with it.
I only got into jazz & big band in my thirties from playing the stuff. Still don't get most rock or pop, though the odd song sticks in my mind. I had to get over the fact that I had very abnormal tastes in music (for my peer group) early on. The compensation for the fact that I didn't 'get' the stuff that everyone else seemed to was that I had an appreciation and understanding of something most of 'everyone else' didn't.

In truth, I really don't do much listening to recordings (or even going to concerts) these days - I'd rather be playing. One thing to consider is that the relatively recent advent of sound recording has not only changed the way we 'consume' music, but has also changed the very nature of music and how we think about it.
This makes a lot of sense to me, Brian. I can also see myself performing (singing or playing a musical instrument) rather than listening.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Adam Gillard wrote:This makes a lot of sense to me, Brian. I can also see myself performing (singing or playing a musical instrument) rather than listening.
Out of interest, has anybody (other than yourself, and preferably somebody impartial) told you that you can sing? Cos most people like to sing, and enjoy it, and kinda think in their head that they sound somewhere between okay and really good, but the reality is they are actually pretty fucking shit at it. (I include myself in that group.) It just occurs that somebody with no musical appreciation to start with has the potential to get this even more wrong. Just hold off with X Factor/Britain's Got Talent application is all I'm saying.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon Corby wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:This makes a lot of sense to me, Brian. I can also see myself performing (singing or playing a musical instrument) rather than listening.
Out of interest, has anybody (other than yourself, and preferably somebody impartial) told you that you can sing? Cos most people like to sing, and enjoy it, and kinda think in their head that they sound somewhere between okay and really good, but the reality is they are actually pretty fucking shit at it. (I include myself in that group.) It just occurs that somebody with no musical appreciation to start with has the potential to get this even more wrong. Just hold off with X Factor/Britain's Got Talent application is all I'm saying.
Upload some singing and link to it here. We will tell you if you can sing or not.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
Upload some singing and link to it here. We will tell you if you can sing or not.
Me?
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
Not gonna happen ;). To be honest, I'm probably one of the many people who think their voice sounds good in their head (or in the shower). I never perform 'singing' to anyone because I'm probably not that good and it's an embarrassing thing to have to do, in my mind. Basically it's people at synagogue (relatively impartial, including some people I don't know who have come up to me after services) who decided I have a good voice (this doesn't mean I'd be a good singing 'performer' by any means) and I lead some of the services that require a certain level of cantorial skill on the most prestigious occasions of the year.

Also, the youth of the community make a sort-of joke choir every year for one of the festivals, and they randomly started singing Nessun Dorma in the "choir practice" (a jokey thing again) and people were blown away and let me finish singing it solo because they'd only ever heard me lead services, which doesn't really require me to showcase a powerful voice. Then they convinced me to do a repeat performance in the party that evening, but I'd lost my voice during the festivities of the day (there's an awful lot of loud singing involved), but everyone was so drunk that it didn't matter. That's pretty much the only public 'singing' (as opposed to cantorial stuff) I've done. And I'd really rather not go on X Factor or the likes, so don't worry about that.

Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Adam Gillard wrote:they randomly started singing Nessun Dorma in the "choir practice" (a jokey thing again) and people were blown away and let me finish singing it solo
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Is that what you look like in black and white then, Jon?

Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:they randomly started singing Nessun Dorma in the "choir practice" (a jokey thing again) and people were blown away and let me finish singing it solo
39 Steps?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Just saw this video on one of the music channels. I like it.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Mark James wrote:Just saw this video on one of the music channels. I like it.
Great song, this album has just gone on my phone and I like it.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Oddly catchy song, nice to see it doing well in the charts. Shame about the nursery rhyme element though.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Ian Volante wrote:Oddly catchy song, nice to see it doing well in the charts. Shame about the nursery rhyme element though.
Yes, I was amazed when I found out that it was no. 1 in the charts the other week (still is, I think), but then those bastions of cool at Radio 2 have been all over it for the last month or so, which probably helped. The last time I can remember the no. 1 being so out of step with everything else in the charts was probably when White Town got there with 'Your Woman' and that must be fifteen years ago at least. So yeah, I approve (I know, Gotye and Kimbra are going to be thrilled when they hear).
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

JimBentley wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:Oddly catchy song, nice to see it doing well in the charts. Shame about the nursery rhyme element though.
Yes, I was amazed when I found out that it was no. 1 in the charts the other week (still is, I think), but then those bastions of cool at Radio 2 have been all over it for the last month or so, which probably helped. The last time I can remember the no. 1 being so out of step with everything else in the charts was probably when White Town got there with 'Your Woman' and that must be fifteen years ago at least. So yeah, I approve (I know, Gotye and Kimbra are going to be thrilled when they hear).
It's number 1? Holy shit. I don't pay attention to the charts at all. Well done everybody. Although it was released as a single last July. You took your time. Better late than never I suppose.

And what about Gary Jules "Mad World" Jim. I'd say that fits the bill for what you're talking about.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Also I've just found this. It's a bit shit but I just thought it was funny as these are far and away my two most favourite songs of recent times.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Mark James wrote:
JimBentley wrote:
It's number 1? Holy shit. I don't pay attention to the charts at all. Well done everybody. Although it was released as a single last July. You took your time. Better late than never I suppose.

And what about Gary Jules "Mad World" Jim. I'd say that fits the bill for what you're talking about.
Christmas number one is a special case in itself. As for Your Woman, doesn't Mark Radcliffe take credit for that? 6 Music have been playing Gotye a lot too actually, a rare song that crosses over between their playlists.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Ian Volante wrote: Christmas number one is a special case in itself. As for Your Woman, doesn't Mark Radcliffe take credit for that? 6 Music have been playing Gotye a lot too actually, a rare song that crosses over between their playlists.
I guess. But it certainly doesn't sound like a Christmas song or even the kind of novelty song that sometimes makes the Christmas number one spot like Mr Blobby.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Mark James wrote:And what about Gary Jules "Mad World" Jim. I'd say that fits the bill for what you're talking about.
That's a good call, I'd forgotten about that, but yeah, it was a similarly out of kilter no. 1. Did that Nizlopi thing (also around Xmas few years back) reach no. 1? That would also be in the same ballpark.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

It did aye, 2005 I think. Also "I Wish I Was A Punk Rocker...", a very random number 1 from about then.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Yeah, Nizlopi was number 1 (in 2005) the week before the Christmas number 1 was announced. Stopped Westlife being top of the charts if I remember rightly, which is never a bad thing. Unfortunately it couldn't stave off the X Factor's Christmas number 1 monopoly, which has only been broken twice (2009 by Rage Against The Machine :D and last year by the Military Wives, which was an utterly nauseating song).
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

I love the Gotye & Kimbra single.

And if we're totting up unlikely number one singles, I'm tossing in The Real Thing by Tony di Bart.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Matt Bayfield wrote:Tony di Bart
I got his signature on a postcard when I bumped into him round the back of the Radio 1 Beach Party in Bournemouth in 19-whatever. Absolutely no one in the world apart from you has ever heard of him.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Bayfield wrote:And if we're totting up unlikely number one singles, I'm tossing in The Real Thing by Tony di Bart.
Yeah, and also that one called di Bart Man where he put on that squeaky voice.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Matt Bayfield wrote:And if we're totting up unlikely number one singles, I'm tossing in The Real Thing by Tony di Bart.
Yeah, and also that one called di Bart Man where he put on that squeaky voice.
Get your coat, Reynolds.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ian Volante wrote:Get your coat, Reynolds.
"...you've pulled" ?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon Corby wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:Get your coat, Reynolds.
"...you've pulled" ?
I wouldn't be so presumptuous :)
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Really Matt? I remember it as nothing more than a slightly above average house tune, nothing out of the ordinary at all. Unless my memory's playing tricks. Which it probably is.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Jim, that's precisely why I've always thought it was an unlikely #1. There were plenty of dance records topping the charts around that time, but for one as spectacularly average as The Real Thing to climb to the top... well, it was huge surprise to me when the chart was counted down on Radio 1.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Matt Bayfield wrote:Jim, that's precisely why I've always thought it was an unlikely #1. There were plenty of dance records topping the charts around that time, but for one as spectacularly average as The Real Thing to climb to the top... well, it was huge surprise to me when the chart was counted down on Radio 1.
Jim meant more that the number ones were unlikely in the sense that they sounded like nothing else that was going on in the charts though, not just that they were an unlikely number one.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I quite like the Gotye song, but I don't think it's that good. It stands out more for being different against current chart things. I think a few years ago a song like that might have slipped through more unnoticed.

It's interesting that someone mentioned The JCB Song by Nizlopi - that more stands out for being impossibly boring, a bit like Ed Sheeran now.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

I'm more into coldplay myself, in my opinion they were on top of their games when they released the x&y album, you get 12 or 13 immense tracks on there and it's a nice cd to listen to when you want to chill out
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Matt Morrison wrote:Adam, what about "Jermain Defoe, he's a yiddo" ?
Too controversial.

Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:Out of interest, what do you think of music in films - do you find it annoying/not conducive for adding to the mood of a scene?
It's still annoying most of the time. The rest of the time it's so samey that it's cringeworthy (e.g. the music for a love scene or a farewell scene). Sometimes it's cool, but I wouldn't like the music on its own (i.e., if there weren't a similarly cool action sequence going on in the foreground).
What about, say, the Star Wars theme tune? Does the opening minute or so not fill you with joy? (I'm guessing the answer'll be no, but it's so glorious and iconic, etc.)
Incidentally, the phrase 'music for a love scene' makes me think of those diabolical Eurotrash soundtracks for those late night Movies4Men films. Never a good thing to think of. Or listen to. Or watch.
Yeah actually, the Star Wars theme is good when the film's on. I think I just don't like stuff on the radio.

Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Gavin Chipper wrote: It's interesting that someone mentioned The JCB Song by Nizlopi - that more stands out for being impossibly boring, a bit like Ed Sheeran now.
Funny you should say that, Ed Sheeran actually counts Nizlopi (as well as Damian Rice) as one of his main musical influences.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

ONE DIRECTION
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

This thread would be much easier if everyone just linked to their last.fm's and we then shouted at each other about how diabolical our music tastes all are.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
John Gillies
Acolyte

Post by John Gillies »

Gary Glitter, Ian :o (I watched him on Top of the Pops as a teenager :oops: )

http://www.last.fm/user/kingjohncrimson/charts
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

John Gillies wrote:Gary Glitter, Ian :o (I watched him on Top of the Pops as a teenager :oops: )

http://www.last.fm/user/kingjohncrimson/charts
My music choices aren't based on morals :)
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

not entirely accurate cos I always forget to sync my iPod with LastFM until it's too late and the plays don't count :( (As a result, it's been skewed towards my Spotify plays lately, which are mostly new songs that I cannae be arsed to buy.)
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

http://www.last.fm/user/tambotie

Just set up a LastFM account and synced my iTunes.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:Out of interest, what do you think of music in films - do you find it annoying/not conducive for adding to the mood of a scene?
It's still annoying most of the time. The rest of the time it's so samey that it's cringeworthy (e.g. the music for a love scene or a farewell scene). Sometimes it's cool, but I wouldn't like the music on its own (i.e., if there weren't a similarly cool action sequence going on in the foreground).
What about, say, the Star Wars theme tune? Does the opening minute or so not fill you with joy? (I'm guessing the answer'll be no, but it's so glorious and iconic, etc.)
Incidentally, the phrase 'music for a love scene' makes me think of those diabolical Eurotrash soundtracks for those late night Movies4Men films. Never a good thing to think of. Or listen to. Or watch.
It seemed a little muted this time around - John Williams is still pretty decent though, innit. Still not fussed if I don't listen to music but enjoy it more now when I do.

Peter Clarke
Rookie

Post by Peter Clarke »

Hope to get this thread going again as I am a huge music fan. I love most types of music, but I'm mainly into types of electronic music, particularly House, Techno and Drum&Bass. I also DJ on student radio (still learning kind of) mixing House and Techno and also love going to raves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq8X753O_s8

This is probably one of the songs that really got into House music from about a year ago.

There are so many songs that I could link but I'm not going to bother since electronic music isn't everyone's thing. Odessa - Caribou which Jim posted a few years back is a tune though!! Caribou are fab!

Here's a good new Techno banger I like...

https://soundcloud.com/drumcode/alan-fi ... asteredwav
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Haven't liked much of Weezer's output in years but the two tracks I've heard from their new album are a return to form, especially King of the World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGyBIQjU2Lk
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Can't stop listening to The Less I Know The Better by Tame Impala. The bassline is sleazy as fuck and I LOVE IT.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Already posted this in football, but it's music, so https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvm5bfQJOGU
Callum P

Post by Callum P »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:Can't stop listening to The Less I Know The Better by Tame Impala. The bassline is sleazy as fuck and I LOVE IT.
Aye, the whole Currents album is sick.

Here's a couple of great tunes I've been listening to a lot recently- not that new but nonetheless excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6okxuiiHx2w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd-E1XEHq04
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

American Football are back it seems. No longer will they be able to be featured on the list of great bands who only had one album (if you heaven't heard said album you should check it out). Their new song is top stuff too https://soundcloud.com/american-football
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Mark James wrote:American Football are back it seems. No longer will they be able to be featured on the list of great bands who only had one album (if you heaven't heard said album you should check it out). Their new song is top stuff too https://soundcloud.com/american-football
Their search engine optimisation must be a fucking nightmare! Great band though.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

I looooove the new Alvvays album.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Have I just gotten too old or is music today really as crap as I suspect? I was reading one of those top albums of 2017 lists and checked out the recommended song for each one and they were all rubbish.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

There is still some music to be found on Radio 3 and Classic fm even though the latter is invaded by film and game stuff, and Einaudi pootling around aimlessly
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I was reading some articles on why we go off modern music as we get older and most people suggested that we have more time to discover new stuff when we're younger. I don't buy that argument. I still have the time to search for music I've never heard before but invariably I find myself liking stuff that's years old and hating anything made pretty much from the turn of the millenium onwards. Certainly after 2010. Even the bands I liked in the early 2000s like Muse and Mastodon have gone downhill. There's still the odd tune that comes along that I'll enjoy like Uptown Funk but that may as well be an old song going by the amount of times it gets sued for plagiarism. I definitely think modern recording practices make songs sound worse. I did a bit of audio in college and my lecturer was obsessed with compression. I don't get why you'd bother with it.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I think popular music started going downhill in the mid nineties an it is steadily getting worse.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT