Music

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Re: Music

Post by Ian Volante » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:14 pm

Mark James wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:46 pm
I was reading some articles on why we go off modern music as we get older and most people suggested that we have more time to discover new stuff when we're younger. I don't buy that argument. I still have the time to search for music I've never heard before but invariably I find myself liking stuff that's years old and hating anything made pretty much from the turn of the millenium onwards. Certainly after 2010. Even the bands I liked in the early 2000s like Muse and Mastodon have gone downhill. There's still the odd tune that comes along that I'll enjoy like Uptown Funk but that may as well be an old song going by the amount of times it gets sued for plagiarism. I definitely think modern recording practices make songs sound worse. I did a bit of audio in college and my lecturer was obsessed with compression. I don't get why you'd bother with it.
I suspect that the change in the way the attention of the listener is seen to be needed to be grabbed immediately is having a big effect, plus the homogeneity of commercial radio and the ease with which one can coccoon oneself into one genre of music all mean that it takes something extraordinary for anything different to break across all of those barriers. Something needs to change (or does it?).
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Jennifer Steadman
Devotee

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:03 pm

Entirely anecdotally, since I started working I've found that I'm far less interested in music generally, and most of the new songs I do like are mainstream chart #bangaz (New Rules, yaaaas) - things with a beat/riff that perk me up. I have *time* to find new music, but I have so much less time than I had at school or uni because of job/looking after myself that I don't have the patience to actively try and like songs that aren't straight-up bangers.

You could probably argue that people go off modern music as they age because they hold a curmudgeonly jealousy that they're not young, unaffected and flexible enough to twerk to the latest tunes... but I wouldn't want to imply anything about anyone else who's commented ;)
proud tiara owner and annoying publicity person who tells you to click links to the the FOCAL website.

(and also to my TRAVEL BLOG)

Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:42 am

One of the articles I read made the point that the phenomenon mainly relates to music more so than other forms of entertainment. People still get excited for new books, movies or tv shows in a way that they don't for new music and they demand even more time than listening to a song. And even if you think, as I do, that older movies are still better than new ones, I'm more accepting of a new movie in a way I'm not with new music. Even a bad movie doesn't seem to offend the senses in the same way. I sat through the entirety of the assassin's creed movie but I would have to turn a bad song off within 30 seconds.

Marc Meakin
Fanatic

Post by Marc Meakin » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:17 am

Well I think airplay can have an effect. I hated virtually every song that came out in the noughties, but didn't listen to the radio regularly then. But I do like the odd song in the last five years or so but as I listen to the radio in my job some songs are like earworms. Clean Bandit songs are the best example.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:16 pm

I've never been one to really actively seek out music, but I used to listen the top 40 and watch Top of the Pops etc. Now I'm too lazy to seek out the top 40 on the radio, and there is no TOTP, except at Christmas and new year. But anyway, I do sometimes stick the radio on, and from what I've gathered the gene pool of the charts is massively reduced these days. There have always been big names that have featured regularly, but now it takes the piss. Out of 40 songs, there are guaranteed to be ten by Ed Sheeran, and about five each from a handful of other people like Taylor Swift or Clean Bandit (OK, a bit of an exaggeration but you see the point). Whatever you think of these particular acts, it's really unhealthy.