C4C/apto/Countdown Dreams

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: C4C/apto/Countdown Dreams

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Joseph Krol wrote:Not strictly c4c relatd but I just had a dream where Regis Philbin and Alex Trebek were on Celebrity WWTBAM. There were a lot of questions about people valled Don anf another regarding a merger of two banks.
I had a similar dream about Nrajik Orfan and Bromebak Lefont.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

I just had another. It was a quiz show where the questions were multiple choice but the choices were anagrams of the answers. I think that's a decent idea.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I read this entire thread last night before going to bed.

And sure enough, I dreamed I was going into Leeds to hand in a university assignment... for some reason... and lo and behold, when I get off the train, there's Dinos. Doing the same thing. Inevitably we end up in the YTV canteen and I think I woke up at that point.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

That's a rare dream indeed. Everyone knows I rarely hand in my university assignments!

Last night I dreamt I was playing Apterous and Charlie had introduced a new bot called Apterous Racist. It declared NIGGER for every round even when it wasn't the max and even when the letters for NIGGER weren't even there. It even declared it on the numbers rounds. Bizarre.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Maybe your subconscious is telling you to file a ticket along those lines...

Weirdly, I also had an Apterous dream involving racism the other night. I was being gobby and annoying in chat, as usual, when Eoin Monaghan started having a go at me for being racist. I don't know why, because I wasn't being racist at all, and as a result I was pretty upset about it. I tried to explain, but he wouldn't listen and kept going on at me. :(
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:That's a rare dream indeed. Everyone knows I rarely hand in my university assignments!

Last night I dreamt I was playing Apterous and Charlie had introduced a new bot called Apterous Racist. It declared NIGGER for every round even when it wasn't the max and even when the letters for NIGGER weren't even there. It even declared it on the numbers rounds. Bizarre.

:lol:
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Bit of a weird'un, but this is last night's main dream...

I'm at a friend from home's house party, though the house looks nothing like her house. For some reason everyone's sat round the lounge to play drinking games, but instead of playing drinking games, someone starts a weed-smoking game. The initiators of this game include Rachel Riley, who is giggling A LOT and puffing away on a joint. With her companion - not sure who it was, though they looked a bit like Matt Croy - they make the room so smoky you can't see anything. Some spokesman for Countdown says "Oh, she's just having a bit of fun, it's her last ever joint, she's giving up for the good of the show!" which everyone is cynical about as she's enjoying it so much. No-one else is joining in. Anyway, an unidentified male Apterite approaches her (have a feeling it was a very gruff male version of Tracey Mills), and it appears that we've all come up to Manchester to watch the show being recorded (even though the friend whose party it is lives in Kent) as he keeps saying "Oh, yeah, it was GREAT, we'll DEFINITELY come again, how about next Friday?!". Rachel is perplexed by his enthusiasm and tries to fend him off. The friend whose party it is's dad comes in and starts cleaning up the mess around everyone, and we all head off to a Travelodge.

It's a very weird Travelodge because when you go past the reception desk, it turns into a fairly-small arena for gigs, but has rooms randomly built in at the sides of the venue (on the floor, not higher up). I'm sharing my room, to the left of the arena (literally - the room window faces onto the arena so it's like having a private box), with the party friend (even though we were at her house...) - who is passed out next to the bed from tiredness/drink. In the Travelodge, they give you fish and chips as a meal with some bread, for some reason putting it by the sink in the enormous bathroom which has about 8 cubicles, but I take one bite of the fish - thinking it's a bread roll - and retch it out again (I don't like fish) into the bin, chucking the rest of the meal in after it. Fearing retribution from my friend, I go down into the arena part where they're setting up for a gig.

It transpires they're setting up for The Stone Roses. Even though I think they're really overrated, I'm really excited by this and start skipping down the stairs, which feels like flying because I'm SO excited, to go and see 'the others'. 'The others' seems to be comprised of Mark Deeks, Matt Croy and Matt Morrison, who are sharing a room on the right-hand side of the arena - well, it's supposed to be a bedroom, but it's actually a tiny old cloakroom. They're struggling to fit their mattresses in between the wooden island in the middle with cloakroom hangers on it. Matt M is expecting Jim Bentley for some reason and has put a note on the door indicating this - even though the note itself is an annotated photo of Heather. One of the annotations, for her stomach, says something like "David? David? David? Where have you gone? I was trying to be my politest" and it's clearly a Jason Larsen joke. Despite the 'David', I somehow innately know that this note is meant for Jim Bentley. Probably because Matt's absolutely grinning his head off at the thought of seeing him and can't stop talking about how excited he is. Matt C and Mark look a bit pissed off that he's neglecting them for Jim and are sulking, while still struggling to put their mattresses down. Confused, I walk off and face the dilemma of watching Spain v France in the basement bar, or watching The Stone Roses in the arena. Unfortunately I do neither because I wake up.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Well it's not a dream, but it is Countdown-related and happened in my sleep, so...

I decided to try my hand at sleep-typing last night. Sleep typing is where you get a blank document and type 'type type type' etc. or something similar until you fall asleep, where you let your subconscious take over. I managed to type a weird story involving Graeme Cole, Michelle Nevitt and my non-countdowning mate Ben Maloney. Obviously I have no recollection of ever thinking this. It has loads of typos, so I've put a translated version underneath. Here goes...
Tired Tom Carey wrote:Type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type type typi ewas walking down a road AND YHERE WQas am poedestsl thongy and Grameme Cole as stan iding ontop od it and hewad sluicing oranges in hallf and thriowing them at poepole down below and those people wedrre very happy but when ben maloonney caught one har turned ino a massive bear/goril;lla AND MAULRAsd somedoib e to drath andeq bec\use they couldbn’;t put ben in pirsom because he was a fucqkung mental b ear thnikng they decided to pyt graseme cole in priosn instead because he thrwew the orangge that rturned ben ibto the gorillabeafr andf all of countdownia was very saddened my this so asyt his court hearing michell nevitttttt was theyre and she had a big list of reaxsond hwhy graeme sgould not be jailed and the jugde guy looked atn it and gouenehba389yw5a;35yhaz;;y3hya3;hoy64aku
And the translated version (yes, my subconscious obviously wasn't big on connectives)...
Previous passage translated into English wrote: (Type x361) I was walking down a road and there was a pedestal thingy and Graeme Cole was standing on top of it and he was slicing oranges in half and throwing them at people down below and those people were very happy but when Ben Maloney caught one he turned ino a massive bear/gorilla and mauled somebody to death and because they couldn't put Ben in prison because he was a f*cking mental bear thing they decided to put Graeme Cole in prison instead because he threw the orange that turned Ben into the gorillabear and all of Countdownia was very saddened by this so at his court hearing Michelle Nevitt was there and she had a big list of reasons why Graeme should not be jailed and the jugde guy looked at it and (incoherent jumble of symbols which was probably my hand dragging itself along the keyboard)
There you go. Sorry if I offended anyone who appears in this but, as I say, I have no recollection of writing this.

Feel free to do this yourselves - could be interesting hearing your stories!
cheers maus
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Tired Tom Carey wrote:walking down a road AND YHERE WQas am poedestsl thongy and Grameme Cole as stan iding ontop od it and hewad sluicing oranges in hallf and thriowing them at poepole down below and those people wedrre very happy but when ben maloonney caught one har turned ino a massive bear/goril;lla AND MAULRAsd somedoib e to drath andeq bec\use they couldbn’;t put ben in pirsom because he was a fucqkung mental b ear thnikng they decided to pyt graseme cole in priosn instead because he thrwew the orangge that rturned ben ibto the gorillabeafr andf all of countdownia was very saddened my this so asyt his court hearing michell nevitttttt was theyre and she had a big list of reaxsond hwhy graeme sgould not be jailed and the jugde guy looked atn it and gouenehba389yw5a;35yhaz;;y3hya3;hoy64aku
Cliffhanger!
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Haha, brilliant. Might have a go at that.

Dreamt the other night that I uncovered damning evidence that Milo McKenzie was Carl Williams' pseudonym on Apterous and was really angry about it.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Doesn't your body go into sleep paralysis when you're dreaming? How is it possible to continue to type?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Oh I see, you're not actually dreaming. I still don't think I could fall asleep while still typing though.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I write a diary entry each night, and if I'm knackered and falling asleep, sometimes a few words of bollocks can creep in before I come to my senses. So I suppose it's the same sort of thing. I'm surprised that Joseph could just do this on demand though.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I write a diary entry each night
New thread please.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Jon Corby wrote:
New thread please.
Seconded. You can't throw something as momentous as the existence of The Gevin Diaries out there and not at least give us some excerpts.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
New thread please.
Seconded. You can't throw something as momentous as the existence of The Gevin Diaries out there and not at least give us some excerpts.
They're quite boring really.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Well lie and make them interesting then.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

The worlds of C4C and Apterous all went to a late night gathering, held jointly at Jono's open air bungalow in Central London, and Gevin's comparatively palatial semi-detached three bed house two streets away. It was advertised as being "a Co:event with absolutely no Countdown being played." The attendees, who were several dozen in number, were given the choice of going to either Jono's or Gevin's, and almost everyone chose Gevins, because his front room contained a boxing ring and clearly everyone had a lot of tension to get out of their system. A few of us went to Jono's, including me, Ryan, Michelle, JR, and Kerry Alcock (but seemingly not Jono himself).

Once there, we formed a band. We all started playing instruments that were dotted around the one and only room Jono's house had, and quickly made musical magic. Our first and only jam was a cover version of "Rebel Yell" by Billy Idol - Ryan Taylor fucking shredded the lead guitar, with Kerry providing complimentary rhythm guitar, while Michelle was on acoustic, openly lauded for her role in the event despite there not being any acoustic guitar in Rebel Yell at any point. Similarly, despite not having a drummer nor a keyboard player for a song quite reliant upon both instruments being present, we were really, really, really, really, really, really, really really really good, helped in no small part by my amazing vocal work. We were so good it was almost as if you had turned on a tape of the actual Billy Idol track. That's how perfect our cover was. We were ready.

We left Jono's one bed shit shack through a side door, which, this being dreamland, obviously backed immediately onto a huge and deserted shopping centre. This was to be the site of our first gig; more specifically, we were to make our musical magic while riding repeatedly up and down the escalators slap in the middle of the place. We had now moved on to "Bad to the Bone" by George Thorogood and the Destroyers, and were just as perfect as the jamming session. However, after nailing the intro, Ryan got all diva and up himself and started singing the lead vocals. This ruined the fragile fabric of the band, and, citing both creative differences and the fact that Ryan was being a tosser, we disbanded.

We left the empty shopping centre and went to Gevin's, where the undercard fight of Andy Platt and David B Barnard had now stretched into hour four. We watched them slug it out like girls for a bit, then Jen Steadman walked into the room and mouthed to me "it's happening." I shouted "what is?" She then pulled a cord hanging from the ceiling, at which point Gevin's [seemingly collapsible] house disappeared, and we were all standing in the middle of the most spectacular fireworks display my brain could imagine. Still no sign of Jono.

fin.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

It's always nice to star in other people's dreams. Good work.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Sorry about collapsing your house, Gev.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:Sorry about collapsing your house, Gev.
That's OK. It appears that it was designed to do that at the end of the night anyway.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Your subconscious mind is awesome, Mark! :) 8-)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

A true return to form, brilliant.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Jason Larsen wrote:I don't remember every detail of my dream, but I can certainly shorten the story.

I once had a dream that I went to England and saw an episode of Countdown. There was a contestant on the show by the name of Sally Starr, and she was the first American-born contestant on Countdown.

She became an Octochamp, and I had followed her reign the whole time. She made it through the whole series, and when she solved the series-winning, crucial conundrum of EARTHWORM, she screamed and jumped on Des O'Connor.

I began to think to myself, "What would Drew Carey think of this? Wouldn't he love it?"

The Price is Right is one of those shows in which the contestants scream and jump on the host no matter who it is. Des O'Connor isn't exactly boring. I'm not sure why people don't like him, but ever since 30 years ago at the most I had heard British people have become a lot higher-strung.
Just stumbled upon this post from April 2008. Have you had any Countdown dreams more recently, Jason?
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

So, last night then. Not a long one, but a weird one.

I find myself invited round to a house-warming party at Ryan & Michelle's place, only to find myself having to evict Nikita Krushchev and a team of spies before the party can commence. Once it gets going, everyone there- Jonathan Rawlinson, Ned Pendleton & two people I didn't know- immediately sits down and starts to play apterous, apart from Ryan who plays what looks like a bizarre combination of puzzle bobble and portal. Only after setting a high score does he get up and serve some food, and then I wake up.

I blame watching my Coblivilon footage immediately before going to bed.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I dreamt I was playing in the Carling Cup last 16 for Dagenham against Leyton Orient. I was having quite a bad game because I needed a poo and had eaten a pack of Rich Tea biscuits beforehand which hadn't gone down too well. Also I was thirsty.

Anyways they got a penalty and who steps up to take it but Jon Corby! Not just any Jon Corby though. FAT Jon Corby. I'm talking 20+ stone. Anyway he went for a Julian Dicks in the top middle of the goal and our keeper just tipped it over. Everyone went mental and I went up to Jon to say "unlucky you fat prick" but there were tears in his eyes so I didn't have the heart. I just went "unlucky, mate" and he said "thanks" and shook my hand with his pudgy little paw.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I'm going to be so happy if Corby turns up 20+ stone to Colin.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:I'm going to be so happy if Corby turns up 20+ stone to Colin.
We could do a game where we have to predict the weight in advance of everyone going. And then we all get weighed publicly before the (Countdown) games begin. Who's up for that? Who's bringing the scales?
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Had a particularly weird one the other night. It's set at a Conservative Party rally - I have no idea why we were there, but the Apterites are all standing at the back of the stands. (I remember Jono, Matt Bayfield, Mark Deeks, Eddie McCullagh, Gevin and Ryan being there. There were others but I can't remember names.) The stands are absolutely packed with people. Rhys is standing down the front, dressed like a Hitler youth, saluting and walking in a really strange way, bending his knees really exaggeratedly and shouting a load of bollocks though a megaphone. Can't remember if it was in English or German - I don't know if I suspect it was German because of the HY garb. The Apterites are either ignoring him or laughing at him.

Then Jono finds this black box on the floor. He crouches down and opens it, and there's a black shiny bag in it, so he opens that too. There's this thing in black tissue paper, which he unwraps, to find a dark thing that looks like a cross between a tiny pig and a human face. I'm a bit weirded out by it, but he's totally unfazed and even somewhat excited about it. He tells me it's called a GUARDAC, before clarifying that it can also be spelt GUARDAK. I think to myself that this would be a really good Apto word. He picks it up and takes it away, cradling it like it's a baby and beaming at it - I'm relieved that it's been taken away, because it was creeping me out, but also pleased that it's found a loving home. (Unfortunately, "GUARDAC is not valid in any language recognised on apterous.")

Jono and the guardac having exited stage left, I start chatting to Matt Bayfield, who's standing on my left. We're discussing music when suddenly he turns into Graham Coxon from Blur, but a really tall version of him. The foot difference in height between the two really unnerves me. The rest of Blur then pop up in the audience randomly.

I then woke up, for some reason thinking "Well, at least I won series 64". What? I was definitely me in the dream, so I don't know if I've randomly woken up thinking I'm Ed or if I genuinely think in my half-awake state that I won a series. Really weird stuff. I suspect some sort of hallucinogenic may have been slipped into my Dominos the night before.
Last edited by Jennifer Steadman on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:a dark thing that looks like a cross between a tiny pig and a human face
Perhaps you'd seen a picture of this, which has been doing the rounds in the last couple of days, which is how you dreamt up the GUARDAC/K? http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/21385302
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Adam Gillard wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:a dark thing that looks like a cross between a tiny pig and a human face
Perhaps you'd seen a picture of this, which has been doing the rounds in the last couple of days, which is how you dreamt up the GUARDAC/K? http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/21385302
I had not seen that! It looked more like an African face mask now I think about it. But it still looked more like a pig overall.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Jen that is epic. I wish I could have something like that.

I think the last one I remember is the one I posted on FB, but to give it again, long story short for my February filming of Countdown and this dream was a few weeks ago) I had to play Kirk Bevatron (despite my protests of how many times he's already been on) and I was like 67-54 down or some shit going into round 10, about to 4 large his ass when I wake up. I'd like to have seen what sort of creative solves I can come up with in my sleep.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Ryan sure does get dreamt about a lot.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Nice to make another dream. Good work. I take we were all there as some sort of protest though (apart from Rhys).
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Okay, so last I night I dreamed I was at some sort of bizarre hybrid football/WWE event at Wembley Stadium. I can't remember all the details of what happened, but I do remember at one point there was a band- possibly The Who themselves- playing Baba O'Riley, with a remarkably energetic James Robinson on the drums, sitting on a platform about 25 feet in the air.

I'm bunged up with a cold, so weird dreams are an inevitability, and I went through all my CoEdi and CoBliv photos before bed, and that's the best I can come up with. I think my imagination's broken.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Ben Wilson wrote:with a remarkably energetic James Robinson on the drums, sitting on a platform about 25 feet in the air.
Wahey, it's nice to finally be in someone's Apto-dreams. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

James Robinson wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:with a remarkably energetic James Robinson on the drums, sitting on a platform about 25 feet in the air.
I had one about you around 6-12 months ago but refrained from posting because it was slightly weird. Well, here it is. Can't remember much but the general gist was that you were at Mirfield train station (as seen in all your co-event pictures) and you were lying under the train track (like, on the gravel but under the rails) and random people in cranes were throwing flowers down at you. Was so long ago I can't even remember if a train arrived. Oh well.
cheers maus
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Thomas Carey wrote:
James Robinson wrote:
I had one about you around 6-12 months ago but refrained from posting because it was slightly weird. Well, here it is. Can't remember much but the general gist was that you were at Mirfield train station (as seen in all your co-event pictures) and you were lying under the train track (like, on the gravel but under the rails) and random people in cranes were throwing flowers down at you. Was so long ago I can't even remember if a train arrived. Oh well.
Haha! This made me LOL at work.
Michelle Nevitt

Post by Michelle Nevitt »

Last night I dreamed I was at Innis and Mark's all night Countdown thing and it was nearing the end because they were both green faced drooling zombies and were declaring 2 letter words. I heard someone yell "Graeme's here!" and turned round to see Graeme Cole up on stage, having apparently been singing Otis Redding songs for the last 24 hours really quietly in the corner. They decided to get him up on stage for the last hour and he performed an amazing version of Try a Little Tenderness a la Duckie from Pretty in Pink. It was truly awesome. Then I woke up.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

The real thing's going to be such a bloody disappointment now. Thanks a bunch.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Probably because I have been watching some of the all time great Countdown games I dreamt that I was at a recording watching my son take part (see, I really was dreaming) and suddenly there was this huge gas explosion and we were all blown sky high. When I came to, I presumed I was in heaven, cos it was cloudy like, but I started protesting loudly that I didn't belong there because I was too young to die (see, I really was dreaming). I made such a noise that they sent for the person in charge and he arrived and looked just like Jon O' Neill. He said that there was only one way to go back and I had to make love to and satisfy the ugliest woman there. So as it was the only way, I agreed and was taken to a room and was met by a woman who was an ugly version of Cathy Burke and I did the deed. Jono came back after half an hour and said that I had passed the test and I would be sent back to Earth immediately. I glanced in to the next room as I left and there I saw Charlie Reams having it away with Rachel Riley. So I said to Jono, “How come I have to do that awful crone to leave and Charlie gets her?” And he said, “Well Rachel wanted to go back as well.”
And that was it really.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Chris Corby wrote:Probably because I have been watching some of the all time great Countdown games I dreamt that I was at a recording watching my son take part (see, I really was dreaming) and suddenly there was this huge gas explosion and we were all blown sky high. When I came to, I presumed I was in heaven, cos it was cloudy like, but I started protesting loudly that I didn't belong there because I was too young to die (see, I really was dreaming). I made such a noise that they sent for the person in charge and he arrived and looked just like Jon O' Neill. He said that there was only one way to go back and I had to make love to and satisfy the ugliest woman there. So as it was the only way, I agreed and was taken to a room and was met by a woman who was an ugly version of Cathy Burke and I did the deed. Jono came back after half an hour and said that I had passed the test and I would be sent back to Earth immediately. I glanced in to the next room as I left and there I saw Charlie Reams having it away with Rachel Riley. So I said to Jono, “How come I have to do that awful crone to leave and Charlie gets her?” And he said, “Well Rachel wanted to go back as well.”
And that was it really.
Brilliant if true.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Chris Corby wrote:Jono came back after half an hour
(see, I really was dreaming)
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Bit ill at the moment so I've been taking quite a bit of medication. This may or may not have factored into the following.

I dreamt I was invited back on Countdown, which for some reason had become a bit Blockbustersy and allowed for two people on one team. I and my never-established-who-it-was partner were really excited to finally be allowed back on to film - it seemed we were also on a four game winning streak, which doesn't tie in whatsoever with the idea that this was to be the start of our comeback, but never mind. The great redux was taking place in a dingy dive bar, which never struck us as odd, and we were cripplingly nervous. We knew who we were going to play, and, if we could just win one more, our next game would be against Charlie Reams. But - crucially! - we didn't know what songs we were going to play. And this was important. Yes, it appears the reason we were in this dingy bar was because it had a small stage in it, and Countdown was now more like Later with Jools Holland, the aim of the show being to make musical magic happen. The surprise element was that you had no idea what song you were going to play until you got on stage.

Paralysed with fear, we tried to assuage our panic by breaking the rules a bit. With two minutes or so to go until we were supposed to take to the stage, we tore open our sealed song list, which came in the form of an old vinyl record sleeve, and read what songs we were faced with. (There were about five, and one of them was by Green Day. That's all I remember.) Somewhat pacified, but not really, we headed up to the stage to take our turn, knowing we needed at least 126 points in this win to stay ahead of Giles Hutchings in the seedings, and fearing that Charlie had the six small advantage. (This was all a bit non-sequitir, since we weren't playing Charlie yet and nor were we playing actual Countdown with any six smalls in, but that's probably right about where the medicine kicked in.) Upon getting on stage, I strode confidently over to the drum kit, only to realise it wasn't so much a drum kit as it was a series of drum kit parts strewn out over a table. There was also no drum sticks to be found, and, also, I suddenly remembered I couldn't play the drums. With only 90 seconds until start time, I quickly ran off to my former high school music department (which, this being Dreamland, was like RIGHT THERE), and waded through the various different classrooms looking for drum sticks, as well as a stand for the hi-hat. In doing so, I got yelled at for interrupting a local Woman's Institude meeting. I returned without the necessary equipment, where a massive jump cut awaited me.

It isn't known how we did on nouveau-Countdown because we didn't suffer the indignity of actually playing at any point. However, since I had a broken drum kit, no musical talent, and no idea what songs we were supposed to play, while my mysterious playing partner had to somehow handle all other instruments on his own, it's safe to assume we didn't do very well. Cut, then, to a hotel lobby in Las Vegas, where seemingly I have flown to drown my sorrows. I am getting increasingly agitated because my luggage has not turned up; it is particularly aggravating as I am in a hurry to get to my room, because I know for a fact that a threesome awaits me there. After a bit of yelling, and briefly getting stuck in the unnecessarily thin door that is the exit to the reception desk area (an unsubtle commentary on weight gain by my subconscious there), I get to my room to find it disshevelled and trashed - clearly, the threesome had already happened without me. I rush out into the restaurant to find series 67 champion Paul James and this cute Canadian girl from my course wining and dining each other. It seems they were the scheduled participants, but they'd decided to have all the fun without me.

I kind of hate Paul now.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

Is this dream in any way a premonition of your Ridiculously Ambitious Head-to-Head Countdown Marathon with Innis?

And it it coincidental that you have made reference to 'Dreamland' and 'Paul James'? http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_5614
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Heh, complete coincidence! Unless my subconscious somehow stores information like that and interweaves it into intricate drum-playing narratives without my knowledge.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I had a slightly prophetic Countdown related dream last night. In the dream the guy from Countdown was ringing me to let me know if I had passed the audition but he started asking me weird questions about how I think they could improve viewing figures. He was saying they were annoyed with the image the show has that it's just old ladies who watch it and that I would only be allowed on the show if I knew how to get younger people interested. I think format changing was also mentioned. Then I was having trouble hearing him on the phone. Further on in the dream it was less Countdown related but there was more mentions of phones and at one point I was trying to dial a phone but I didn't have a phone in my hand.

Well this morning I got a letter from Countdown saying I had passed my audition but I had forgotten to put my phone numbers on my application form. So mentions of format changing, audition and phone problems all in the dream the night before I find out about them the the next day. Spooky. (admittedly it seems I was in the room while the new format discussion was going on on apterous but I didn't spot it at the time but maybe my subconscious did)
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Last night I dreamt I was playing Apterous and Charlie had introduced a new bot called Apterous Racist. It declared NIGGER for every round even when it wasn't the max and even when the letters for NIGGER weren't even there. It even declared it on the numbers rounds. Bizarre.

Heheheh
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

This thread needs resurrecting, and fortunately I and my unstable subconscious are the means to do it.

The setting is, naturally, COLIN (or any other co-event I'm running). I'm in a major flap as with about 10 minutes to go before kirk-off there's only one person at the venue, and that's Jono. Zarte shows up shortly afterwards as I head into the kitchen to check on things, and as I emerge from the kitchen numbers have swelled slightly to 28, boosted by members of the Lincoln Scrabble Club showing up. Relieved, things get underway as I sit back and chat about football with Jono, who for some reason has a gallon tub full of what look like those individually-wrapped chunks of rock (as in the sweet) but are in fact jellies, and he's already polished off half the tub.

Not sure what this all means, other than I probably need more sleep. Or I need to plug COLIN more. I'll be sure to get right on with both. :)
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

The other night I dreamed I was reading a recap written by JR, and the targets for the first three numbers games were all "555". Smileys galore and comments in very large font sizes ensued after the third one.
Last edited by Johnny Canuck on Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Johnny Canuck wrote:The other night I dreamed I was reading a recap written by JR, and the targets for the first three numbers games were all "555". Smileys galore and comments in very large font sizes ensued.
Ah, the joys of recaps. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek:
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Last night I dreamt that Charlie Reams, Graeme Cole & a couple of others I didn't recognise were doing a parachute jump for charity. That is all.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Had a dream I was playing the video game Dark Souls and I was invading Gemma Church. And no, that is not sexual in anyway (I wish it had been).
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

(Probably) Two dreams last night. In the first I'm panicking as I'm travelling home from a co-event and I urgently need a lift to the railway station from Graeme Cole's dad (whom I've never met and have no idea what he looks like, you need to understand). He obliges and I find myself sandwiched between James Robinson and Matt Bayfield on the back seat of the car whilst Graeme's dad drives us to the station, only for us to have to slow down and let Graeme himself (who'd been running alongside the car) in. Worringly Graeme then gets in the driver's seat and we then speed off.

There was either then a bizarre jump cut or an entirely separate dream as the next thing I know I'm outside a hotel, sat around a table with three Gevins debating whether to follow James Nguyen or Mark Deeks in their plot to overthrow the government. Long story short, I follow Deeks whilst the Gevins follow Nguyen. I arrange to meet Deeks outside the hotel at 9 O'clock but a communication error involving AM and PM leaves me standing outside the hotel for 12 hours feeling like a prat. Next thing I know I'm running down Lincoln High Street wearing just a dressing gown, and at that point I wake up.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Had a dream last night Jon O'Neill was showing me his DJ skills on a turntable. He didn't do anything though except play Undone-The Sweater Song by Weezer.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ben Wilson wrote:(Probably) Two dreams last night. In the first I'm panicking as I'm travelling home from a co-event and I urgently need a lift to the railway station from Graeme Cole's dad (whom I've never met and have no idea what he looks like, you need to understand). He obliges and I find myself sandwiched between James Robinson and Matt Bayfield on the back seat of the car whilst Graeme's dad drives us to the station, only for us to have to slow down and let Graeme himself (who'd been running alongside the car) in. Worringly Graeme then gets in the driver's seat and we then speed off.

There was either then a bizarre jump cut or an entirely separate dream as the next thing I know I'm outside a hotel, sat around a table with three Gevins debating whether to follow James Nguyen or Mark Deeks in their plot to overthrow the government. Long story short, I follow Deeks whilst the Gevins follow Nguyen. I arrange to meet Deeks outside the hotel at 9 O'clock but a communication error involving AM and PM leaves me standing outside the hotel for 12 hours feeling like a prat. Next thing I know I'm running down Lincoln High Street wearing just a dressing gown, and at that point I wake up.
Three Gevins. That's a lot. What were the specific plots? I presume Nguyen's was better.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Mark James wrote:Had a dream last night Jon O'Neill was showing me his DJ skills on a turntable. He didn't do anything though except play Undone-The Sweater Song by Weezer.
Have you heard me talk about that song? If not this belongs in coincidence because I fucking love that song.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Mark James wrote:Had a dream last night Jon O'Neill was showing me his DJ skills on a turntable. He didn't do anything though except play Undone-The Sweater Song by Weezer.
Have you heard me talk about that song? If not this belongs in coincidence because I fucking love that song.
I don't know that song, but it could be one of those songs that a certain type of people always love. Mark might have had you down as a certain type, and he was right. Boring, predictable and a stereotype.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gevin 2.0 rocking C4C again