C4C/apto/Countdown Dreams

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Re: C4C/apto/Countdown Dreams

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Had a dream recently that a society/club was trying to encourage me to sign up whilst telling me they had "a diverse range of virgins". One of their main selling points was that Paul Erdunast was a member.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:01 pm Had a dream recently that a society/club was trying to encourage me to sign up whilst telling me they had "a diverse range of virgins". One of their main selling points was that Paul Erdunast was a member.
You just made me snort with laughter and get a bunch of strangers on the bus to give me weird looks. Nice.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Had one last night where I was on apterous, and Rob Foster had just maxed a 15 rounder against Nude (might have been 142-17). Apparently Luke J_D had a tourney to play with him, and they started the game, however everything now turned into a darts match which I am now watching. Both start off with 100 after 3 darts (though the referee called Rob's as 120 for some reason, which was corrected). For some reason then Luke then massively slips and scores like 11 in his next 3 darts (they might have been calling the 5s as 1s and vice-versa at this point), with Rob also slipping a bit. This continues for a good while, including Luke missing the board on all 3 darts at one point. Long story short, Rob wins by finishing with a double top to get 301, with Luke on about 213. I remember thinking this was odd, and wondering why they didn't go to 501 because then Bradley might have had a chance of winning (he had now appeared and apparently either been Luke or my subconscious just thinks he can win games he isn't even playing? I remember him walking off with some people (maybe referees/officials?) through the crowds, because apparently there was whole crowds on an arena like actual darts matches). Then all of a sudden it cuts back to apterous, with Luke and Rob at 0-0 in a 15 rounder. Worth noting I'm spectating, but can actually see the game as if I were playing it. Pretty odd dream in all.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

I was at Matt Morrison and Heather Badcock's house, which, this being dreamland, was a large and relatively isolated cottage. It was a nice cottage, too, or at least the downstairs kitchen area was. The upstairs, where the front door was located (obviously), was pretty squalid. Moreover, it was badly designed, with the front door located really high up the wall, only big enough to crawl through, and with no stair access to get to it. In hindsight, it was probably a window. But Mark, such a vivid and well-crafted character in this compelling narrative, thought it was a door. He somewhat mockingly asked Matt and Heather how anyone was supposed to enter or exit the property when that was the only door. (They agreed it was the front door, so I wasn't the only fool to be found here.) At this point, James Robinson magically appeared from nowhere, and loudly exclaimed "ohhhh, I get it! The stairs have been built the wrong way around!" Cue much forehead slapping and the beatification of James's genius. There was a whole side tangent to this dream involving babysitting that I cannot remember now.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Fun little one last night. I'm at a railway station somewhere in the UK, but a strange one where the platforms are both open and elevated about 30 feet above the concourse so I can see my train (all 35 odd carriages of it) pull in and immediately leave without me. However, James Robinson then arrives to reassure me that a classic apto-c4c dream is impending. I head up to the train platform and begin playing scrabble when Jen, Sara and Zarte (and several others I don't remember the identify of) arrive to play me at the game, which is soon abandoned when Matt Bayfield arrives and asks for a group photo. We look back down to the concourse where another me is sat, and determine that's the best place for the photographer, so we all descend the ladder to the concourse (my dreams are never health and safety compliant). I go first and with the aid of Sara, get Zarte down the ladder (all the while panicking that he's going to step on my head) when all of a sudden, everyone disappears. I occupy the rest of my time in the dream sprinting along supermarket freezer units and doing belly flops onto the floor, all while singing Van Halen and trying not to sing 'Mamma Mia' by Abba. I then wake up.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Had one recently where I was living in some building (I think temporarily) with James Robinson and an apterite (who will remain nameless) and a female who is implied to be his girlfriend. Said apterite and his girl are in their room "chatting loudly" and James keeps listening through the wall and being generally quite nosy about what they're doing (I am being, to a lesser degree). He eventually gets impatient and bashes the door down, to discover them on a bed together "talking", returning to me with a horrified expression.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Last night's dream starts with me and Mark Deeks walking home from London, having missed a train that was running uncontrollably up and down a length of track. This displeases Mark, who smashes a beer bottle and threatens to cut everyone he sees. Eventually, we end up indoors (in my dreams, every time I walk anywhere, at least part of it is indoors) at the BAFTA nomination ceremony, where everyone is naked but it takes me a while to realise or acknowledge it. The dream ends with me at my brother's* wedding, who's marrying the ex-wife of my brother*, who's also at the wedding.

*Same brother.
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

Had a dream that I was playing against James Robinson in a hotel and Zarte rocks up and asks to join in
I am hosting a Co-Event on 31st August if you are free please come down to “The Centre” in Rotherham.My best friend is Dinos Sfyris who will be my co-host for this event
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Ashton Hancock wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:00 pm Had a dream that I was playing against James Robinson in a hotel and Zarte rocks up and asks to join in
Wouldn't be the first time Zarte has asked to play with Robbo in a hotel.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:18 pm
Ashton Hancock wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:00 pm Had a dream that I was playing against James Robinson in a hotel and Zarte rocks up and asks to join in
Why
I am hosting a Co-Event on 31st August if you are free please come down to “The Centre” in Rotherham.My best friend is Dinos Sfyris who will be my co-host for this event
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Ashton Hancock wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:20 pm
Why
They like to do ho:events, games in hotels. Typically Countdown but they have been known to play bingo and chess.
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:20 pm
Ashton Hancock wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 2:20 pm

Why
They like to do ho:events, games in hotels. Typically Countdown but they have been known to play bingo and chess.
I can’t dam believe that I had that dream it must be connected
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

Had another wired dream last night when I was in a room with Elliott Mellor and Mark Deeks playing Countdown and Innis Carson phones me up and asks if he and Zarte Siempre could come and play and I said yes 5 mins later Robbo and Conor Travers turned up and it ended up a bit like a CO event.
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

I keep having these dreams last night I was with Zarte in London and we were walking over tower bridge 🌉 then we got to the other side and their was a car with James Robinson Driving and it beeped us so we went up opened the door and James said get in, we both got into the car were in the back seat was Kirk Bevins and he had a game with me and Zarte was in the front seat was counting the scores we drove to a hotel and we all played. Again very wired.
Ashton Hancock
Acolyte

Post by Ashton Hancock »

I forgot to add this 1.

About 1.5 weeks ago I had a dream that James Robinson turned up at my house and asked for a game and I said yes and we played a game and he then went home but rang me up 2 hrs later and said he had to come back the next day to pick his game up that he left and did so where we played again and then he finally went home with his game.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Dreamt last night that I was with a large group of people tasked with designing some sort of flag. For some reason, this flag needed to have a pair of rabbits on it. Mark Deeks, one of the people there, was very set on having a male and female rabbit together on it. I disagreed strongly, insisting this was discriminatory against gay/lesbian/other non-majority sexual groups of rabbits. This then provoked a debate as to whether it was possible for rabbits to be any of these, with Mark insisting it was ridiculous and me insisting it was surely genetically possible. It gets put to the group, and I fail to recall exactly what happened but I think they might have supported Mark. I'm not entirely sure exactly what happened after, sadly.
Jason William Larsen
Rookie

Post by Jason William Larsen »

I dreamed that I was in England and watching Countdown one afternoon and a ridiculously easy numbers game came up. Rachel was not happy with CECIL when he showed it, so when she tried to reactivate CECIL's randomizer, he made a buzzing sound. Rachel had a complete meltdown.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Brief cameo in an otherwise intricate yet boring dream about me owning a pizza shop - Apterous was now the cramped middle floor of a pub with spectacular cliff side views and a wall made entirely of windows. No word games were played, just darts. Andy Platt laid claim to the pencil for the word "intimidist", which I immediately checked in Lexplorer. Lexplorer was, of course, a stair case that also operated as a time travelling portal, so when I said just then that I "checked" it in Lexplorer, what I mean is I went back in time to the date Andy claimed to have pencilled it. It was November 2010, there were about 14 people there, all men, all playing darts (except Adam Gillard, who was sitting off to the side and who had on a MASSIVE hat). Paul Howe was one of the 14 and was clad head to toe in leather. At this point, I went back to the staircase, the darts was put away and a team quiz began, hosted by an absolutely tiny Indian lady in her 50s. She paired me off with two girls of about 12, and said our question was to work out the three ingredients that go in some cocktail or other. I immediately put a McDonalds paper bag over my head like some kind of wannabe Knightmare contestant and refused to play.

In hindsight, bit of a gay dream with a subtext about weight gain. So, the usual.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark Deeks wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:36 pm In hindsight, bit of a gay dream with a subtext about weight gain. So, the usual.
A little bit paedo-y and anti-Semitic too.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

I clearly refused anything paedoey, so good luck making that stick. As for your continued efforts to paint me as some kind of anti-semite, I don't think the mere mention of a massive hat gets it done, you racist.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Mark Deeks wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:33 pm I clearly refused anything paedoey, so good luck making that stick. As for your continued efforts to paint me as some kind of anti-semite, I don't think the mere mention of a massive hat gets it done, you racist.
Absolutely, I think Gavin (if that is his real name, I somehow doubt it myself) has gone crazy. Unless of course just mentioning a person who is Jewish (in any context) is now classed as anti-semitism? Actually I would put that past Margaret Hodge in her insane Corbyn-bashing crusade. And it's not as though Mark was dreaming about fucking the 12 year old girls so I don't know where your paedo accusations come from.

In a tenuous link, when Margaret Hodge was leader of Islington Council in the 1980s she was a big paedophile enabler and repeatedly ignored warnings that rampant abuse was going on in the children's homes that were under her remit. After several years of doubling down and smearing the whistle-blowers, she was forced to apologise. Mentioning that probably makes me anti-semitic now, though.
Jason William Larsen
Rookie

JimBentley wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:09 pm
Mark Deeks wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:33 pm I clearly refused anything paedoey, so good luck making that stick. As for your continued efforts to paint me as some kind of anti-semite, I don't think the mere mention of a massive hat gets it done, you racist.
Absolutely, I think Gavin (if that is his real name, I somehow doubt it myself) has gone crazy. Unless of course just mentioning a person who is Jewish (in any context) is now classed as anti-semitism? Actually I would put that past Margaret Hodge in her insane Corbyn-bashing crusade. And it's not as though Mark was dreaming about fucking the 12 year old girls so I don't know where your paedo accusations come from.

In a tenuous link, when Margaret Hodge was leader of Islington Council in the 1980s she was a big paedophile enabler and repeatedly ignored warnings that rampant abuse was going on in the children's homes that were under her remit. After several years of doubling down and smearing the whistle-blowers, she was forced to apologise. Mentioning that probably makes me anti-semitic now, though.
His real name is Toby.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Also, the hat was a (particularly massive) sombrero. If anything, that speaks to my desire for greater inclusion and cultural diversity, and frankly I deserve a medal.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I used to get pilloried for feeling rough after drinking too many vodka and oranges because of the excuse I used to give.
'There goes Meakin ,always blaming the Juice '
I didn't have the heart to tell them I'm Jewish on my mother's side
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jason William Larsen wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:58 pm
JimBentley wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:09 pm

His real name is Toby.
:o
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Not strictly a dream, but I semi-wake up, and in my hypnagogic state think I'm trying to solve a numbers game from the alarm clock. It's a 4L and the digits are the target. The first two digits are the smalls.
Jason William Larsen
Rookie

Wow
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Jason William Larsen wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:42 pm Wow
Jason does sarcasm! Excellent :lol: :D
Jason William Larsen
Rookie

Fiona T wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:57 pm
Jason William Larsen wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:42 pm Wow
Jason does sarcasm! Excellent :lol: :D

Thank you Fiona!
George Armstrong
Rookie

Post by George Armstrong »

She won't be happy with some of this but here goes:

So I had a dream last night in which a young Fiona T was applying for a new job (for some reason she looked like the comedian Josie Long but I still knew it was her). The interview involved Fiona being asked a series of random ethical questions which she could either agree or disagree with. She was asked each question in front of two flights of stairs and had to go up to the next floor if she agreed or down if she didn't. But she must then sit on the stairs slightly off what her opinion was (ie. If she disagreed she would go down a floor but sit a few steps up from the door). The interviewer would then appear from the appropriate door. Fiona would give a heartened speech about her opinions on the statement before the interviewer countered and Fiona had to relocate and reargue. I do recall one question fell along the lines of "Can we trust the Germans?", do which one of the replies was "Well my husband wears German jumpers so..." which indicated Fiona couldn't trust her Germans (read of that what you will). (And before you start Fiona, that's not a comment on you being old, I was binge watching World On Fire last night and so that slipped in alright?).

Years later, this interview of going to the answer but sitting a couple of steps off inspired Fiona to create a beloved variant known as Duckdown...

I also went to Blackpool to visit my mother. We were meant to go for dinner but instead ended up at a Duckdown CO:Event.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Did I wear a red t-shirt to the interview? :D
George Armstrong
Rookie

Post by George Armstrong »

Fiona T wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:05 am Did I wear a red t-shirt to the interview? :D
Oh ffs... ;)

You were actually wearing a black jacket.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Fuck knows what was going on in my head last night but...

There was a Co-event on the coast in Syria which lots of familiar faces had turned out for. For some reason, the building we were in was like my mum's church building but it was located on an extremely tall pier. Giles Hutchings was diving off the pier into the water and I was fretting that he would drown or injure himself, but he kept climbing up the massive ladder out of the sea and diving back in again. He was LOVING it.

I was then informed that Dylan Taylor was in the kitchen stealing cutlery that had belonged to my nan - primarily knives but a few forks as well - with the intention of putting them in his bum (blade first :/ ). I was absolutely livid and snatched the implements off him before he could sully them with his rectum.

At this point, Assad's forces instigated a mustard gas attack on the main hall that the event was taking place in (those of us in the kitchen were unaffected but there were some explosion noises and the air turned yellow). Lots of people were extremely sick but I only specifically remember Aidan Linge being affected; he was jaundiced and had loads of white dust in his hair, then vomited up one of his lungs. It sounds awful but I wasn't disturbed in the slightest because I was too glad that my cutlery hadn't gone in Dylan's bum. #priorities

I am certain that a lot more happened, and there were tonnes of Apterites milling around during the dream, but these are the only fragments I remember... but given what I do remember, that's probably for the best.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Horrocks »

Don't remember much about it - I was at Callum Todd's house for some reason. He wasn't in, he was at work. Upstairs was exactly like my house as the layout was the same. As I went into 'my' room, I found two cute cats, one was only a kitten. I asked the older cat about her age, and she replied 'I'm 11', which was odd I suppose. The other cat didn't comment when I said he must only be a 'child cat'. My sister came round as I had to drop her off somewhere, but rushed back as I didn't remember locking the door. Got back and a few people were there, including my auntie and Callum. I asked Callum if everything was ok, and he said "my house has been destroyed", and so I had to wonder whether or not I'd confess to being there earlier and not locking the door. Luckily I woke up at this point!
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Last night's dream had me in some sort of Countdown meeting at the top of a very tall building. There was quite a number of people there, but I only really recall Fiona being one. At some point, Damian Eadie announced to me and a few others that he was planning on getting a new bot introduced on apterous that was better than Apterous Rex. He'd decided the name for this would be "Apterous Jennifer", insisting it was named after one of his daughters, quelling the angry words a few of us put forward that it shouldn't be named after Jennifer Steadman. The qualities of this bot were that it was the same as Rex, but it would pick more horribly in normal games at random, with the idea being to simulate contestants on the show who pick loads of consonants and strangle rounds. I pleaded with Damo to have it pick 6 small "like Waldorf" (because apparently Waldorf does that in my dreams), but he insisted on it choosing 4 large.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Elliott Mellor wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:10 pm At some point, Damian Eadie announced to me and a few others that he was planning on getting a new bot introduced on apterous that was better than Apterous Rex. He'd decided the name for this would be "Apterous Jennifer"
8-) #feminism
Elliott Mellor wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:10 pm quelling the angry words a few of us put forward that it shouldn't be named after Jennifer Steadman
fuck you pal
Elliott Mellor wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:10 pm The qualities of this bot were that it was the same as Rex, but it would pick more horribly in normal games at random
8-) #powerplay
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I was at some CO-event and about 10 points down going into the last numbers. It was obvious my opponent had it early on and I was one away but at the end I managed to declare it not written down. The numbers I used were (though I'm not sure if this was fully defined at all stages):

50, 9, 9, 6, 6, 4 -> 606.

I did 50×(9+9)×4/6+6=606.

Mark Deeks who originally seemed to be the host took ages not understanding what I was saying before he finally got it. But then he turned into the other contestant, and after all that struggling he said he did it exactly the same way.

I thought that was quite a good solve for in my sleep though.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Mark Deeks who originally seemed to be the host took ages not understanding what I was saying before he finally got it
probably your fault tbh
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Had my first proper apto dream a few nights' back - think it was the night before Sam's quiz.

We were doing a quiz and standing 15-1/election type podiums. It's a bit hazy until the point where the only two players left are myself and Graeme Cole.

The final 'question' required the contestants to think positive, happy and pure thoughts until they floated into the air. The first to successfully float into the air would be the winner.

Graeme and I both realised that we could not think postive, happy and pure thoughts if we wanted the other person to lose, so we held hands, cleared our minds and floated into the air together.

We were both declared the winners.

The end.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

One I had a couple of days ago had a start and a middle I can't remember, but at some point, I end up driving Gevin's car, and repeatedly stalling it before eventually getting the hang of it and merging into the fast lane of a motorway at about 85mph. Even though the car is left hand drive and I merge onto the motorway from the right hand side, I still identify it as the UK, as the motorway has (for some reason) replaced Newark Road in North Hykeham, and we have to slam on the brakes when we reach a level crossing that identified as 'Witham'. The road trip comes to an end when I wake up.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Last night I posted in this thread to suggest (as a hilarious joke) that hundreds of Apterites are all really unlucky given that playing at their level they'd all be able to win virtually any series in the early days but by bad luck they're all playing at the same time as each other. Also I posted this under the name "Henry" I think.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Remembered a strange apto-dream from last night.

I was talking to Ian Volante (who IRL I've not yet met) and my phone went.

It was Donald Trump, and he wanted to congratulate Ian on his octochampdom.

I was trying to persuade him not to talk to Ian as I suspected Ian might not be a Trump fan and said I'd pass the message on, but he was insistent.

(In my dreamworld Trump was somehow influential in whether my invoices get paid or not - probably because in my waking hours I've been doing some very indirect integration work for a gun-toting republican supporting mobile phone company - who knew your phone contract was political in the US?)

Anyway - in the end I gave the phone to Ian, Trump congratulated him and Ian said "ha ha". I took the phone back and reassured Trump that Ian was delighted to have been congratulated by no less than the president of the USA. Trump wasn't sure, but I managed to convince him.

Perhaps I need a new contract :D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

A couple of nights ago I was watching an episode of Celebrity Countdown, and I wasn't immediately sure if it was a new episode or an old one. But various things gave it away as old - it was presented by Richard Whiteley, and Jeremy Beadle was on it, and they've both died. And also Bob Mortimer was on it, and he looked "much younger" than he does now - he didn't really look much younger, more like a completely different person. There was some other stuff but I was unable to recall it.

A bit off topic, but last night I watched the first episode of the Crystal Maze. It was a bit weird and I only actually saw some of the introductory stuff. They had six people but they divided them into a black team and a white team. The black team consisted of two Asians and someone else who I think it was suggested had some connection even though they were white. It seemed outrageous, but the reason seemed to be that it was the 80s and it was the norm back then.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

From about a week ago.

I'm walking on the street, and then remember I'm expecting a call so go into a public phone box, where Damian Eadie calls and tells me there's going to be a special series of Countdown filmed and do I want in. Of course I say yes, but Damian is a bit rushed and I don't hear any further details.

It turns out to be filmed in Saudi Arabia. The studio was in the middle of the desert, high up in this incredibly tall yet narrow building - it must have had over 200 floors and looked as if a strong breeze would knock it over. The reception and elevators weren't on first floor, but instead you had to complete a few floors as Mario-esque platform levels. On one of them Jeff Clayton was dressed up as a goomba and I considered stomping on him but decided to continue on.

Next, I was in the green room and there were a few Chinese people there, because apparently Countdown was now the most popular 'sport' in China and all episodes have Chinese subtitles. They explain to me that I'm part of the England squad a Countdown version of the Ashes, and I'm just in time to watch the third match with the series tied 1-1. Playing for England is a nerdy version of Ben Stokes, the game is hosted by an extremely old (like 110 year-old) Nick Hewer and Steve Irwin was with Susie in DC. I now feel a bit overwhelmed by the sense of occasion, but relax when I see that the standard is fairly ordinary. I wake up before actually playing my match.

Edit: I was also given a list of words that I couldn't declare because the CCP deemed them 'unsuitable'. It ran to several hundred pages and was probably about a quarter of the whole dictionary and was mostly obscure words (I recall ALNOITE from the first page).
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Best one for a while.

For what it's worth, if Damian or the CCP is reading this: I'm in.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

First time in a while I've had one worthy of being added to this thread.

Countdown was being hosted in my living room. I'd been appointed as arithmetician, with various other people in other roles. At one point, there were 2 teams of 2, iirc - one with Sean Lock on. In some bizarre variant, you could have 1, 6, 61 or 616 large numbers in the numbers rounds (I might have misremembered that - 16 and 6161 might have been options). When it came to the numbers, the team picking selected (I think) 61 large, and this giant display of numbers appeared, with a target of 169. Neither team successfully solved it, but I did by doing (15-2)*(15-2) - the larges were like aegilops, and I think there were 6 small numbers. I also didn't have a numbers board, so improvised by writing on a Wii fit board in green whiteboard pen.

In either a separate part of the same dream, or an entirely different one - we were in the Countdown studio, with it being I think the quarter final of a series. What made this odd was that, despite the match being played apparently live, we all knew the score that the game would finish. In the first round, a selection with the 9s DIAMETERS/DIATREMES/DREAMIEST(appropriately!) came up, with c1 finding MARDIEST and c2 finding some 6 (though c2 would eventually win). I was surprised that none of them found the 9, and remember not so subtly telling my sister about the 9s being available. I think Susie found DIAMETERS. The rest of the dream either didn't happen or I don't remember it.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Last night, I dreamt that myself and Graeme Cole were playing pool in a dimly lit bar on a pool table that didn't have any edges [basically this all the way around]. Every single ex girlfriend I have ever had was in attendance, lining the edges of the place, watching. I said to Graeme "please make me look good, my exes are here". To which one of them [we'll call her Yelrebmik] interjected to say "don't worry, we all thought you were gay anyway".
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Jason William Larsen
Rookie

What does this have to do with Countdown, Mark?
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Enthusiast

Post by Sam Cappleman-Lynes »

Probably the fact that it starred well-known Countdowny person Graeme Cole.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark Deeks wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:28 pm Every single ex girlfriend I have ever had was in attendance, lining the edges of the place
Show off.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

In these social distancing times, and the need to space out, that's not as impressive of a brag as I would have hoped.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Jason William Larsen
Rookie

And how can you play pool when you're not supposed to be around other people in person?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Jason William Larsen wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:22 pm What does this have to do with Countdown, Mark?
The pub was the Fox and Hounds, which is the pub we go to after COLIN. I should know, I was there.
Jason William Larsen wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:33 pm And how can you play pool when you're not supposed to be around other people in person?
If the dream was set immediately after COLIN, then the lockdown wasn't in force then.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

It was actually much more reminiscent of Stevenage bowling alley, but either way, thanks for the top-tier wingmanning.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Jason William Larsen
Rookie

Graeme Cole wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:49 pm
Jason William Larsen wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:22 pm What does this have to do with Countdown, Mark?
The pub was the Fox and Hounds, which is the pub we go to after COLIN. I should know, I was there.
Jason William Larsen wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:33 pm And how can you play pool when you're not supposed to be around other people in person?
If the dream was set immediately after COLIN, then the lockdown wasn't in force then.
Ok!
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

For some reason, Maus, Matthew Tassier, and I were all allowed back on Countdown. And after 45 conundrums which went unsolved in our semi-final, they decided to just put Tass and I through to the very first 3-way final. Going into the conundrum Maus had 84, Tass 82, and I 80. The conundrum turned over to read CLEENCLAD, Maus buzzed almost immediately with CACOPHONY (X), then Tass buzzed on about 10 seconds with HYDROPLACE (X), which left me with 20 seconds to work it out. Susie passed me the answer but only with 1 second to go so I didn’t have enough time to register what it was and buzz. The answer was PETROSLAVIA, and I was so pissed off that I didn’t press on 29 seconds and stall for time.
Last edited by Rhys Benjamin on Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Jason William Larsen
Rookie

If that happened on the real show, the majority of it would be edited out
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

45 conundrums? I think you'd stalled for enough time already.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I got PETROSLAVIA in about a second when I saw the scramble. (I covered up the bottom of the post to avoid spoilers.)
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

You're right. Maybe I shouldn't offer any further glimpses into my subconsciousnesses.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...