Which minority would you most like to belong to?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Which minority would you be most happy to belong to?

Asian (oriental)
12%
Indian Subcontinent
4%
Middle Eastern
No votes
Eastern European
4%
Black
24%
Jew
12%
Muslim
8%
LBGT
28%
Other (tell us, tell us!)
8%

Total votes: 25

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Which minority would you most like to belong to?

Post by Michael Wallace »

This is probably going to seem like a lame attempt to be offensive, but CF and I were just discussing this and I reckon it's a genuinely interesting topic. If you had to belong to a minority group, which would it be and why?

Obviously there's a poll, and I've been quite selective with our minorities, trying to get all the 'major minorities' rather than worrying about remembering every minor group.

What I think is interesting is how people perceive prejudice, so if you pick gay that doesn't mean you want to bum men, it just means you think you'd be most happy with having to suffer the prejudice that you perceive goes with belonging to that minority. Similarly you can plump for Indian even if you don't like curry, or Jewish even if you like your foreskin.

My own pick is probably Asian (oriental) - I'm not really aware of that much negative prejudice towards that particular group, but I suspect this just betrays my lack of experience of it.

Obviously there's an other for all the minorities you think I should have included, but haven't because I'm a racist.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: Which minority would you most like to belong to?

Post by Jon Corby »

I've gone for Eastern European, so that I can do all my own DIY.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I've gone for black, so that I can have a massive penis and not look quite so out of place listening to hip hop.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I went for LBGT because I Like Britain's Got Talent.

I don't think I could face all the insults being Jewish; the big nose, the greedy nature, the killing of Jew eggs, the Jew claw, having foreskins being thrown at me, using Jewla hoops etc. People can be so cruel and I just couldn't face the torment that some nasty people in our world dish out on Jews.
Last edited by Ryan Taylor on Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Necrophiliac paedophile.
I often see them on the train......although it is possible they are violinists.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

While the idea of being black and having a massive penis appealed to me, I went for Indian subcontinental as the food is awesome, the clothes and jewellery are beautiful, and it's not as far to go to the Taj Mahal on holiday.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Michael Wallace wrote:My own pick is probably Asian (oriental) - I'm not really aware of that much negative prejudice towards that particular group
Those fucking chinks with their slitty eyes?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:My own pick is probably Asian (oriental) - I'm not really aware of that much negative prejudice towards that particular group
Those fucking chinks with their slitty eyes?
Yeah, which is the sort of thing I don't think I've ever actually heard people say with even the remotest sincerity, whilst I have experienced it for all the other ones on the list. Maybe I just hang out with the wrong people, though.
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

Black and LGBT are the top answers. Looks like none of us are happy with our genitals.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I'd like to be a lesbian please.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Martin Smith wrote:Black and LGBT are the top answers. Looks like none of us are happy with our genitals.
I agree with these two and went for LGBT so I could be the same person, love gay/happy music etc but just fancy someone different, ideally though, as Ian says, be a lesbian.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Martin Smith wrote:Black and LGBT are the top answers. Looks like none of us are happy with our genitals.
I agree with these two and went for LGBT so I could be the same person, love gay/happy music etc
To avoid you being disappointed in future, I don't think I've ever heard Dale Winton and the Barcodes played at a gay club.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

I voted for other - ie. women. I know women aren't literally a minority, but politically they get treated as one with all the special sex discrimination rules which apply 98% to women, and of course they get to retire 5 years earlier and live 5 years longer. 10 years extra retirement sounds good to me, thanks.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David Roe wrote:I voted for other - ie. women. I know women aren't literally a minority, but politically they get treated as one with all the special sex discrimination rules which apply 98% to women, and of course they get to retire 5 years earlier and live 5 years longer. 10 years extra retirement sounds good to me, thanks.
Another David Roe post, another point for "all conservatives are idiots". Ho hum!
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

I went for other - Irish traveller (pikeys to you fuckers), I know it's not exactly much of a reach. The idea of travelling around, setting up carnivals, drinking, fighting and fucking appeals to me on a visceral level (though I'd probably have to stop using words like visceral). I used to work in a pool hall and it always seemed to me that those guys didn't give a fuck about anything.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Charlie Reams wrote:Another David Roe post, another point for "all conservatives are idiots". Ho hum!
Do you put on a veneer of politeness when you're out in public, Charlie? Or is politeness your normal self and you put on a veneer of unpleasantness for here?
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

David O'Donnell wrote:I went for other - Irish traveller (pikeys to you fuckers), I know it's not exactly much of a reach. The idea of travelling around, setting up carnivals, drinking, fighting and fucking appeals to me on a visceral level (though I'd probably have to stop using words like visceral). I used to work in a pool hall and it always seemed to me that those guys didn't give a fuck about anything.
Hah - there was a pikey wedding in a top Worcester hotel a coupla years ago. Some of them stayed next door and it took a riot van, dog handlers, four police cars and a helicopter to evict them (being the 34 people that were staying, rather than the 12 that had paid). The local pubs were told by the police to close for the weekend after they all snorted coke off the tables and caused £40k worth of damage to the pub, kicked all the urinals off the walls in the gents', broke windows from the fights etc.

The down side is the obvious continual risk of damage to one's person from the aforementioned fights. The upside is the enormous rolls of grubby £20 notes they seemed to have coming from every pocket.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David Roe wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Another David Roe post, another point for "all conservatives are idiots". Ho hum!
Do you put on a veneer of politeness when you're out in public, Charlie? Or is politeness your normal self and you put on a veneer of unpleasantness for here?
Oh no, it's just you.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
David Roe wrote:
Oh no, it's just you.
Did you wait for likes to be broken before bringing this back up?

(David Roe's post had a couple of likes)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Did you wait for likes to be broken before bringing this back up?

(David Roe's post had a couple of likes)
You know me, always reluctant to argue with idiots.

(I didn't see it at the time, somehow topics marked "latest poster: David Roe" aren't absolutely top of my agenda.)