Favourite Breakfast Cereal

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Favourite Breakfast Cereal

Post by Michael Wallace »

(I was genuinely about to start this topic when I saw that Charlie had done a favourite day post - this isn't just some weird pseudo-copying.)

Today I bought chocolate Sugar Puffs, because they were on special offer and I hadn't seen them before. They are quite tasty, but they are not my favourite breakfast cereal. That honour probably belongs to Frosted Shreddies, which are all the more delicious because I haven't eaten them in years. Of the cereals I actually eat, I reckon Frosties (or own-brand equivalent) probably win, as when I make the mistake of buying them they then usually end up being my lunch and dinner as well. Tasty.
Kirk Bevins
God

Re: Favourite Breakfast Cereal

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I *love* cereal. I have several favourites and tend to go for special cereals rather than normal ones. I love the taste of weetabix with lots of sugar and milk on. I love the taste of frosted wheats but most of all I love the new cereal "Krave"....chocolate pillows with a hazelnut centre too. (There's also a brand called Choco Pillows that are just as awesome). These were on special offer (still quite expensive at 2 for £3) so I got 4.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I used to eat a lot of Sainsbury's Yogurt and Raspberry Crunch or whatever it was called, but nowadays I can't really stomach the volume of milk required to eat cereal like that. Lately I have taken to eating Kellogg's Bran Flakes straight from the box, which are delicious.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Kirk Bevins wrote:most of all I love the new cereal "Krave"....chocolate pillows with a hazelnut centre too. (There's also a brand called Choco Pillows that are just as awesome).
We really like Chocolatey Squares, and so were quite interested in Krave when it came out. Krave tastes really weirdly salty though (to us, at least), so we've stuck to the Squares which, now I think about it, are a really challenger for my top spot. Hmm.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

I thought Krave would be nice, but they minged. Frosties for me, although I actually eat Weetabix. Ricicles are lovely too.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

I haven't had cereal for a good couple of decades. Used to eat Bran Buds back then so by default that makes it my favourite.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I really like Crunchy Nut Clusters but the problem is (afaik) they only come in ridiculously tiny boxes and the bowl sizes that I have often mean I can't even get 3 bowls out of the box before I'm pouring the little shitty bits into my dish. I eat Coco Pops for breakfast, dinner or tea and really like them. I also like just normal Crunchy Nut but not the Crunchy Nut Clusters with chocolate bits...they aren't so nice. I love having Ready Brek too and pouring stupid amounts of treacle into it and then having that awesome feeling of unearthing some treacle (after it has all sunk to the bottom). I don't mind Sultana Bran either but I can never eat just Bran flakes (there HAS to be sultanas on it!!). I used to always eat Weeto's up until I was about 14/15 and then they suddenly started to taste different. I don't know what it was but the scientists at Weeto's HQ had definitely altered something with them and I have never had them since. Cereals that I sometimes get just to have a change for once is something like Golden Grahams. These are probably the nicest cereal just to eat straight from the box although taste as great with milk on, but the cinnamon ones are rank. Cereals I would never eat again would be Shreddies, Rice Crispies and Corn Flakes (without sugar) just because I cannot stand the feeling or taste in my mouth when they have been left too long and have gone soggy. These ones seem to go soggy quicker than most others and are not nice.

My cereal cupboard is always stocked with Crunchy Nut, Crunchy Nut Clusters and Coco Pops and these are my 3 favourite cereal, but if I had to pick one then it would be Coco Pops.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

weetos
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Crunchy nut cornflakes.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Cerealiously, wtf?

Meakin made me do it.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:most of all I love the new cereal "Krave"....chocolate pillows with a hazelnut centre too. (There's also a brand called Choco Pillows that are just as awesome).
We really like Chocolatey Squares, and so were quite interested in Krave when it came out. Krave tastes really weirdly salty though (to us, at least), so we've stuck to the Squares which, now I think about it, are a really challenger for my top spot. Hmm.
This cereal is a staple snack food in Israel, not exclusively for breakfast. Out there they're called "Cariot" (kah-ree-yot), which means pillows. Apparently 217 people on Facebook agree that this is "The best cereal on the planet".

Edit: Apparently 62,242 people on Facebook like Krave.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I want to hear more about Ben Hunter and Weetos.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Raw porridge oats with fresh fruit and nuts and seeds. Posh word is muesli.
Make it myself with no sugar and sometimes add a handfull of bite size shredded wheat. Shredded wheat (small or large) is the only cereal I know that has absolutely nothing added.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Tricky, pretty much all cereals are good but generally I don't go for sugary ones, and chocolate ones are a definite no. I'll say Special K for the moment, but I might change my mind on that.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Weetabix (Two with sugar and milk, not with all that rubbish that you see people put on them in the ads), Weetos (I could eat these all day, with lots of milk) , Oats and More (Raisin), Crunchy Nut Clusters (Only had them once, but really liked them), Coco Pops (Lots of milk again), Weetabix Minis (Never enough in the pack).

If I had to say one I'd pick Weetos.
Last edited by Eoin Monaghan on Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I love the new cereal "Krave"....chocolate pillows with a hazelnut centre too.
I love that you actually buy in to the marketing hype and call them 'pillows' you megaponce.
Heather's Mexican ex-housemate left a half-bowl full in the cupboard (in the packet, thankfully) so I'll eat these tomorrow and report back.
Charlie Reams wrote:I used to eat a lot of Sainsbury's Yogurt and Raspberry Crunch or whatever it was called
A really good fucking choice. I actually use to mix this with the chocolate and nut one AND with the berry one, creating an uber crunch cereal thing.

BUT the point for me (being fat and conscious) is that processed cereals are fucking bad for you.
The best way to go, for something not only natural but actually crossing over into the realm of healthy and good (and very tasty too, even with skinny milk) is the Dorset Cereals route.
One of the most surprising experiences I've had (ok, exaggeration) was finding them for sale in the tiniest little independent corner shop in Budapest.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:I'll say Special K for the moment, but I might change my mind on that.
Haha! You have ketamine for breakfast!

Also, have we ever had a thread on here about the number of spaces to put in between sentences? I think we probably have. Two for Corby, one for me.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Oat Crisp. With cold milk in summer and hot milk in winter. Or porridge with evaporated milk drizzled over the top.

Have just tried the new chocolate Weetabix (the full size ones not the Minibix). They are nicer warm with a bit of extra sugar sprinkle over them. When they are cold (and the chocolate chips aren't melted) they aren't really chocolatey enough.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:Also, have we ever had a thread on here about the number of spaces to put in between sentences? I think we probably have. Two for Corby, one for me.
It's what we were taught in typing at school about 25 years ago. I've been told since that it's WRONG these days, but it's just habit I guess. I just did it between these two sentences without really realising it.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I have chips and M-CAT for breakfast every morning.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Charlie Reams wrote:I want to hear more about Ben Hunter and Weetos.
From the Day I Stopped Eating Weetos archives:
-----Original Message-----
Sent: 12 July 2005 23:42
To: Enquiries@Weetabix.Com
Subject: Comments from the website

The following comment has been sent from the website http://www.weetabix.co.uk:
Name: Mr Ben Hunter
Company:
Address: Postcode: Country: UK
Phone number: Email: xxxx@hotmail.co.uk
Comment:

----------------------------------------------------
I don’t know whether anyone else has brought this to your attention, but recently the Weetos in the Grimsby and Cleethorpes area have been of inferior quality to those I've sampled in the wider Lincolnshire area recently. I don't know whether you have changed the ingredients or what, but I've noticed a change in texture. Rather than being crunchy, they are now stiff. I am not the only one who thinks this, and so I thought it best to bring it to your attention.

-Ben
Dear Mr Hunter

Thank you for your enquiry though we are sorry to learn of your disappointment.

There has in fact been a change to the recipe. Following extensive research with, and approval from, many parents and children who buy and enjoy Weetos, the cereal was reformulated and now has significantly less sugar.

We made the change to make sure Weetos retains its attraction and keeps pace with changing attitudes to food. In response to greater customer awareness of health generally and sugar specifically, we decided the time was right to reduce the sugar level.

We genuinely believe the change is for the better. Reducing added sugar in our diet can only be a positive step. Weetos still provides all the goodness of wholegrain you would expect from a Weetabix breakfast cereal while hopefully retaining the same great taste.

We trust this is of assistance.

Yours sincerely
Paul Blomley
Consumer Services Officer
Weetabix Limited
' +44 (0) 1536 721567
Thank you for your prompt response. I used to eat Weetos as a healthy alternative to junk food, but following your candid revelation of the dangerous old recipe I feel as though I may have put my health at risk. At least now I can begin to rebuild my life. And I must disagree with your statement that Weetos still retain the same great taste. I wouldn't have emailed you about it otherwise. With sadness I announce my retirement from eating Weetos.

-Ben
They still haven't gotten back to me, I might email them for a response today. In fairness I did try Weetos a few months ago and they were pretty good, but then one day I ate them while hungover and I was sick, so I've gone off them again. These days I eat sensible grown ups' cereals like muesli, but I supplement this with an otherwise atrocious diet.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon Corby wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Also, have we ever had a thread on here about the number of spaces to put in between sentences? I think we probably have. Two for Corby, one for me.
It's what we were taught in typing at school about 25 years ago. I've been told since that it's WRONG these days, but it's just habit I guess. I just did it between these two sentences without really realising it.
Ministerial correspondence has two spaces after the full stops, although it's a tradition I'm trying to change, cos I think it looks silly. No-one's complained yet.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

For what it's worth - I used to like Weetos, but then I realised they cut my mouth :(
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:For what it's worth - I used to like Weetos, but then I realised they cut my mouth :(
OMG!! Seriously? I had a similar experience with Golden Nuggets (think that's their name). Turned out after a few bowls they would really hurt my gums.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:For what it's worth - I used to like Weetos, but then I realised they cut my mouth :(
OMG!! Seriously? I had a similar experience with Golden Nuggets (think that's their name). Turned out after a few bowls they would really hurt my gums.
Yeah. I think I am either an incautious eater, or the skin in my mouth is delicate or something, since I tend to end up cutting it with crusty sandwiches and stuff unless I'm careful, too.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

I go for Co-op cornflakes, with a small banana sliced up, plus some other fruit if I have any. Tried those Clusters once, as a result of a money-off voucher, but as they seem to be stuck together with loads of sugar, really disliked them - all the big-name cereals seem to rely on including loads of the stuff. (To attract obese kids? :evil: )
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Ricicles win. Frosties and Golden Nuggets placed.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

David Roe wrote:Ricicles win.
Ha, what... they are a knock off of rice krispies, which in turn is a shit cereal. A shit cereal influenced by a shit cereal. A second generation inbred child of a cereal. Get out.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Weetabix ftw. Altho I normally go for Tesco Wheat Biscuits cos I'm a cheapo baby. 3xbiscuits, 1xchopped banana, a splash of milk and topped with a black cherry underlayer Muller Lite and berriez (of the black and blue variety)

This is the breakfast of champions!

Actually it's the breakfast of autistics. I can't leave the house without having it.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Weetabix ftw. Altho I normally go for Tesco Wheat Biscuits cos I'm a cheapo baby. 3xbiscuits, 1xchopped banana, a splash of milk and topped with a black cherry underlayer Muller Lite and berriez (of the black and blue variety)

This is the breakfast of champions!

Actually it's the breakfast of autistics. I can't leave the house without having it.
Nice, just reminded me that among my empty cupboards I have some Weetabix left. Now I don't have to leave the house.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:BUT the point for me (being fat and conscious) is that processed cereals are fucking bad for you.
Are they though?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:I love the new cereal "Krave"....chocolate pillows with a hazelnut centre too.
I love that you actually buy in to the marketing hype and call them 'pillows' you megaponce.
Heather's Mexican ex-housemate left a half-bowl full in the cupboard (in the packet, thankfully) so I'll eat these tomorrow and report back.
Very overrated. Not impressed. Also, I'd call them more like 'shells' than 'pillows'.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Haha I wrote to morningfoods last year with regards to their chocolate pillows:

"I came online to say how much I love your chocolatey
pillows cereal - it's ace! I can't get enough and I have to go back to
Leeds and get some more but I'm not going there for a while so I'll have
to make do without.

Anyway, whilst I was on your site (particularly the page about the
chocolatey pillows) I noticed you'd spelt vitamins wrongly twice (once
as vitimins and once as vitimain in your table). It doesn't look
professional and I'd advise you to change it!

Keep on making great cereals (but preferably in bigger packets for us
adults!)"

Their reply:

"Dear Mr Bevins

Thank you so much for bringing the spelling errors to our attention,
we're very proud of our new website but unfortunately you can't
spell-check them when building them so we have to rely on proof readers
but it appears they have missed this one!

I'm glad to hear you like our Chocolatey Squares, I'm putting some in
the post to you for highlighting this small grammatical error which will
be changed in due course.

Kind regards

Richard Jones
Mornflake Cereals"

Sure enough I received 3 packets of their gorgeous cereal in the post. It was then followed up with another email from them:

"By the way Mr Bevins, our Choco Squares are available in any Morrisons
supermarket and are currently on promotion at less than half price at
90p for a 500g box!!

Kind regards

Richard Jones
Mornflake Cereals"

I love getting free stuff!
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Weetabix if it's available. Failing that, Cornflakes. Otherwise go without.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Richard Jones wrote:we're very proud of our new website but unfortunately you can't spell-check them when building them
WTF!? Sounds like someone needs a visit up my corner.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

I choose "The Cooperative Cornflakes" as uncooperative ones are more than I can cope with at breakfast :shock:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Richard Jones wrote:we're very proud of our new website but unfortunately you can't spell-check them when building them
WTF!? Sounds like someone needs a visit up my corner.
And judging by the standard of writing in the rest of the email, it wouldn't help them much if they could.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Matt Morrison wrote:Sounds like someone needs a visit up my corner.
This sounds just like the sort of innuendo you might hear Kenneth Williams say on Round The Horne.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Kirk Bevins wrote:I love getting free stuff!
I've just remembered this, where a dude saw what happened if he sent letters to 100 random companies asking for free stuff. Pretty cool.

Edit: In fact, this gives me an idea for a thread...
Heather Badcock

Post by Heather Badcock »

I love Raisin Wheats, and all of the supermarket versions of them, particularly Waitrose's.
They are perfect.
They don't go soggy, and they taste all healthy on the outside with a little burst of sweetness on the inside. And they're pillows.

And I had a big row with Bridget in our Year 10 ICT class about spaces after sentences. She kept going on about how there should be 2 spaces, and that we'd have to type everything like that when we did essays. I refused to do it as it interrupted the flow of my one finger typing, and I thought it looked stupid, but secretly I was shitting it about all of my further written works being ripped up by teachers and examiners, so I am pleased to hear it is no longer considered necessary.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Heather Badcock wrote:They are perfect.
They don't go soggy, and they taste all healthy on the outside with a little burst of sweetness on the inside. And they're pillows.
I think you have confused Raisin Wheats with boobs.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Charlie Reams wrote:
We know you're a big rock-and-roll compsci star of the US now, but do you really have boobs floating in milk for breakfast?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
We know you're a big rock-and-roll compsci star of the US now, but do you really have boobs floating in milk for breakfast?
Of course not, would I be so heathen as to mix meat and milk? Now if you'll excuse me I have to go sniff some cocaine off a stripper's laptop.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

I'm posh when it comes to cereal. For breakfast I eat the lovely (but not desperately good-for-you) Jordan's Crunchy Oats with Tropical Fruits, which I top with berry fruits (usually dried goji berries and fresh blueberries or blackberries), and the absolute minimum of skimmed milk, because I find milk tastes vile.

I do occasionally try slightly healthier alternatives, when they are on special offer in supermarkets. I quite like the Dorset Cereals that I bought when they first appeared in supermarkets, and I also picked up some of the Mornflakes products when they were 99p a box.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Weetabix or supermarket own brand wheat biscuits which are, let's face it, Weetabix repackaged as own brand.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

During my time at the seminary we only ate Faithabix. They're like weetabix, but crucifix shaped, although I was quite partial to the Christ Krispies, we agreed it would be wasteful to buy two different brands.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Oh, I forgot about the hosanna nut loops... they were actually my favourite. Only ever got them on special occasions though, like Easter.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Mmmmm sacrilicious.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Go rice krispies!
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I like that this is a discussion thread rather than a silly "vote for your favourite" poll one. Voting only leads to disastrous things like Hitler and Snow Patrol getting best song of the noughties (not sure what's worse). Anyway, I like getting Kellogg's variety packs and mixing a few together but overtly sugary cereals hurt my teeth so that's for special occasions only. I stick with cornflakes for the most part. Had completely forgotten about honey nut loops till they were mentioned above. I used to mix them with corn pops. Yummy!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote:overtly sugary cereals hurt my teeth
That would probably be quite a good evolutionary step.