The C4C Gaelic Football Thread

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

The C4C Gaelic Football Thread

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Where can we watch Gaelic Football in GB? I think this and hurling are great sports but I can never seem to find any coverage, on TV or online.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Re: The C4C Gaelic Football Thread

Post by David O'Donnell »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Where can we watch Gaelic Football in GB? I think this and hurling are great sports but I can never seem to find any coverage, on TV or online.
Been having the same trouble since I moved to Cardiff. Glad I didn't see the Tyrone-Dublin game though.

I normally find I have to get to a pub.

The Irish pubs will always have something on match day: one in Cardiff had the MacRory cup on!!
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

RTE online possibly.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

David O'Donnell wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:Where can we watch Gaelic Football in GB? I think this and hurling are great sports but I can never seem to find any coverage, on TV or online.
Been having the same trouble since I moved to Cardiff. Glad I didn't see the Tyrone-Dublin game though.

I normally find I have to get to a pub.

The Irish pubs will always have something on match day: one in Cardiff had the MacRory cup on!!
Setanta Sports have the uk rights I think?

Kildare were brilliant the last day and Meath just couldn't live with their pace and fitness. The result also made me happy because of the way Meath won the Leinster championship, with help from that cheating cunt from Tyrone. Down were also impressive at the weekend, not so impressed with the Dubs and I thought Tyrone dropped their intensity and then couldn't raise it when the Dubs took the lead, be nice to see an unfamiliar team in the final
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

James Doohan wrote:
Setanta Sports have the uk rights I think?

Kildare were brilliant the last day and Meath just couldn't live with their pace and fitness. The result also made me happy because of the way Meath won the Leinster championship, with help from that cheating cunt from Tyrone. Down were also impressive at the weekend, not so impressed with the Dubs and I thought Tyrone dropped their intensity and then couldn't raise it when the Dubs took the lead, be nice to see an unfamiliar team in the final
Yeah, Setanta have the rights.

You're spot on about Tyrone but it's been coming these last few years. Wicked result for Down and hopefully can emulate the team of the early sixties.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

David O'Donnell wrote: Yeah, Setanta have the rights.

You're spot on about Tyrone but it's been coming these last few years. Wicked result for Down and hopefully can emulate the team of the early sixties.
Yeah, Down played really well and I was quite shocked because they struggled to get by us and we're shit, but I reckon it's gonna be a Cork/Kildare final(sorry Eoin). But i'll be happy as long the Dubs don't win. Kilkenny will easily take the hurling championship again.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Grrr, Cork won yesterday. I really wanted a Dublin victory, because I feel we stand a better chance of beating them if we beat Kildare next Sunday. Still, like a wise man once said (MWM) you've gotta beat the best to be the best.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Grrr, Cork won yesterday. I really wanted a Dublin victory, because I feel we stand a better chance of beating them if we beat Killedare next Sunday. Still, like a wise man once said (MWM) you've gotta beat the best to be the best.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Eoin Monaghan wrote:Grrr, Cork won yesterday. I really wanted a Dublin victory, because I feel we stand a better chance of beating them if we beat Killedare next Sunday. Still, like a wise man once said (MWM) you've gotta beat the best to be the best.
Mark Meakin ??? Is that you?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

David O'Donnell wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Mark Meakin ??? Is that you?
His jokes aren't normally in such poor taste.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Come on DOWN!

No Jason, this isn't The Price Is Right.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Come on DOWN!

No Jason, this isn't The Price Is Right.
I reckon the Mourne men will need a good lead at halftime if they are to be busy on the 3rd Sunday in September, but I have Kildare backed at 4/5 as I see the win against Kerry as being a one off (sorry Eoin :( )
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Have to feel for the Kildare team, the officiating let them down badly, the Down goal was bad enough but they should have also had a penalty right at the end when the ball was touched on the ground by two Down players, kind of sums up this championship unfortunately. But Down also played very well, enjoy the next month or so Eoin, the build up to the final is great
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

James Doohan wrote:Have to feel for the Kildare team, the officiating let them down badly, the Down goal was bad enough but they should have also had a penalty right at the end when the ball was touched on the ground by two Down players, kind of sums up this championship unfortunately. But Down also played very well, enjoy the next month or so Eoin, the build up to the final is great
Yep, absolutely gutted (and hoarse). So close! We were a fingertip away from winning it right at the end. Definitely the most exciting finish to a match in years, even the Leinster final. I reckon the ref originally blew for a penalty and then didn't have the guts to see it through, given what happened after that match. If only Earley had been fit. Got to feel for Johnny Doyle though, the guy played his heart out, and at his age it's doubtful he'll get through another season.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Sorry Liam, I feel sorry for the Kildare players, especially Earley and Doyle. (And Kieran McGeeney did go to my school!) I know myself that if the positions were swapped I would be outraged at the decisions, however...

Down are in the All-Ireland Final!

What a brilliant game, I can't wait until the 19th, I really want tickets, Coulter has to get an All-Star this year, his first half score was like some of Kirk's words. I really hope we can bring home Sam, Down never lose All-Ireland finals!

Edit: Also can't wait to rub it in the faces of all the Armagh ones in my class, I have had to endure a lot of stick over the lack of success of the team.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Eoin Monaghan wrote: the All-Ireland Final!
Not surprising really, can't think of any other countries which play Gaelic football.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Oliver Garner wrote:
Not surprising really, can't think of any other countries which play Gaelic football.
Well there are two countries of Ireland that play
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Oliver Garner wrote:
London and New York both have teams which can possibly win the Championship, and my friend told me that Argentina have a league. Stick with Scrabble.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Eoin Monaghan wrote: London and New York both have teams which can possibly win the Championship, and my friend told me that Argentina have a league
London and New York can possibly win a game each year :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hurling is popular in Argentina, so much so that I think last years (maybe the year before?) All-Star game was played out there. Gaelic games are played in most countries of the world with so many ex-pats scattered all over the place
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Oliver Garner wrote:
France do. Oh no sorry - that's Garlic football.

Edit - How did you get my password, Meakin?
Edward McCullagh
Series 64 Champion

Post by Edward McCullagh »

Down were very impressive again on Sunday but the thing that worries me is that they do seem to run out of steam near the end of games. They did it against Kerry and they did it against Kildare, and if they were 6-7 points up against Cork with 10 minutes to play, you wouldn't exactly put your house on them closing it out!

Have to feel sorry for Kildare - I've never seen a better taken free in Gaelic than that one in the 74th minute, but Down were better - just about.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

:D :D :D

Got a ticket! Can't believe it, I cannot wait for the life of me until Sunday, hurry up Friday and Saturday! Got an all Down day in school tomorrow and there's bunting all over the place. Best times ever!
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

It was disappointing people lamenting Kildare's loss rather than praising Down's win - Down were the better team, more skilful and fluent passing and looked very much in control until some missed chances and sloppy defending late on let Kildare back in. I'd like Down to win (everyone hates Cork, except when they play Dublin) but I don't think they will. Sorry.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Not many expected Tipp to beat Kilkenny either. Up Down!
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Tipperary beat Kilkenny?! Go to a strange country for a couple of weeks and you lose all touch with reality. Fantastic. That's made my day.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Oliver Garner wrote:
It's called the 'all-Ireland' final as teams from Northern Ireland also compete you ignoramus.
Edward McCullagh
Series 64 Champion

AN DUN ABU!
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Text message I received:

Hail Benny full of pace, Marty is with thee, blessed are thou amongst Down men and blessed are the scores of size 9 Adidas, Holy Benny you are God, pray for us winners, now and on September 19. An Dun Abu!
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Hah. Ed, are you a down man too? Hope you have a brilliant day at the match Eoin. Wonder will anyone go... Jaysus, look, it's that kid off countdown!
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Strange looking to see Down togged out in yellow, hopefully both teams will stick to their footballing styles and we'll have a cracking open game of football. An Dún abú!
Edward McCullagh
Series 64 Champion

Nah, I'm a Tyrone fan (my dads from there) though I know a few of the lads in and around the Down panel so I've jumped on the bandwagon :P

Oh, and :cry: :cry: :cry: so close, but once Cork got going there was no stopping them. Down will regret not being 6 or 7 up at half time.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Yeah, really broke the red mist of the day the colours after the manc scouse craic. And was like the whole crowd were in the wrong colours. Anyway, great day of sport. Unlucky Eoin. Hope you enjoyed the buzz of the day and got home alright. Did you have anyone spot you from d'telly?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Andy Wilson wrote:Unlucky Eoin. Hope you enjoyed the buzz of the day and got home alright. Did you have anyone spot you from d'telly?
It's funny to think that Eoin was probably the biggest celebrity there. :mrgreen:
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Gutted. :(

Down couldn't catch anything in the midfield and Cork were getting nearly all the breaking balls. So many "what ifs", hitting the post, few slips, not passing at the right time etc...
Benny Coulter wasn't in it enough and we were watching Gordon and the Cork full-forward's tussle, pretty enjoyable. Still, a great day but disappointing, especially as the rain started bucketing down after the loss.

And no, wasn't seen on the screen and wasn't recognised.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Do any of you Ireland guys frequent a shop that sells GAA jerseys and stuff? I would love to get my dad a Tyrone one for Christmas but it's quite hard to get hold of anything from here. The GAA Store has this sort of thing: "Cannot Ship Outside Ireland (more info) - This product is available for dispatch in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland only." for whatever reason. How much do these things go for and how much would it cost to send it to London?
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Do any of you Ireland guys frequent a shop that sells GAA jerseys and stuff? I would love to get my dad a Tyrone one for Christmas but it's quite hard to get hold of anything from here. The GAA Store has this sort of thing: "Cannot Ship Outside Ireland (more info) - This product is available for dispatch in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland only." for whatever reason. How much do these things go for and how much would it cost to send it to London?
Jerseys are generally around €45 but you might be able to get them a little cheaper now as its the end of the inter-county season. Not idea on the postage though, but would imagine its less than a tenner
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Do any of you Ireland guys frequent a shop that sells GAA jerseys and stuff? I would love to get my dad a Tyrone one for Christmas but it's quite hard to get hold of anything from here. The GAA Store has this sort of thing: "Cannot Ship Outside Ireland (more info) - This product is available for dispatch in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland only." for whatever reason. How much do these things go for and how much would it cost to send it to London?
Surely Ebay? If no-one's selling Gaelic football shirts on there I'd be amazed.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Thought I might mention something about the Aussie Rules, the game was alright to watch, not enough big hits (which is what I think makes it interesting.)

Disappointing to lose but hopefully we'll get them at Croke Park.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Thought I might mention something about the Aussie Rules, the game was alright to watch, not enough big hits (which is what I think makes it interesting.)

Time to end this bullshit match, the GAA should be promoting our games rather than this dead ended hybrid crap. The "international series" is going nowhere and does nothing for football or hurling
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

JimBentley wrote:
Surely Ebay? If no-one's selling Gaelic football shirts on there I'd be amazed.
There's this, which sets my eBay crime alarm bells ringing for a number of reasons. And a similar one (but number 13) from the same seller. I searched for tyrone gaa and these are the only two that came up.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

James Doohan wrote:
Eoin Monaghan wrote:Thought I might mention something about the Aussie Rules, the game was alright to watch, not enough big hits (which is what I think makes it interesting.)

Time to end this bullshit match, the GAA should be promoting our games rather than this dead ended hybrid crap. The "international series" is going nowhere and does nothing for football or hurling
When I saw the hybrid match a couple of years ago, I loved it! It helped that there was mucho violence.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Jon O'Neill wrote: There's this, which sets my eBay crime alarm bells ringing for a number of reasons. And a similar one (but number 13) from the same seller. I searched for tyrone gaa and these are the only two that came up.

How about this as an alternative? I'm sure you're dad would love it! :D
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TYRONE-GAA-ALL-IR ... 335feb1104

Failing that, we're going to Ireland next week, so, if you want to order something to be delivered to one of our rellies and we'll bring it back for you, send me an email. But make sure they'll get it there by the end of next week!
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

I like the compromise rules, but then, i'm not really a gaa fan anyway. I think I mainly like how the local amateurs can compete with the aussie pros. It surprises me that more football players don't head down under tbh. Jon, i'll have a sconce in town tomorrow if I remember. I'll gladly pick one up and post it for you if I can find one down here. I can't imagine postage would be more than a fiver.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Karen Pearson wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote: There's this, which sets my eBay crime alarm bells ringing for a number of reasons. And a similar one (but number 13) from the same seller. I searched for tyrone gaa and these are the only two that came up.

How about this as an alternative? I'm sure you're dad would love it! :D
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TYRONE-GAA-ALL-IR ... 335feb1104

Failing that, we're going to Ireland next week, so, if you want to order something to be delivered to one of our rellies and we'll bring it back for you, send me an email. But make sure they'll get it there by the end of next week!
In a similar vein I know my mum sent out one to my brother in Boston a couple of years ago but I could check out if someone at home is willing to send you out a top.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Look at everyone rushing to help me! I've PMed Andy as that involves inconveniencing the fewest people, but thanks all you kind souls.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Only place in town i found that has one prices em at €60. As someone who has never once bought a gaa shirt, is this dearer than it should be? It's Finn's corner, a local independent shop. I would have assumed they had a standard price for shirts, but if you reckon it should be around €45 james?
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Andy Wilson wrote:Only place in town i found that has one prices em at €60. As someone who has never once bought a gaa shirt, is this dearer than it should be? It's Finn's corner, a local independent shop. I would have assumed they had a standard price for shirts, but if you reckon it should be around €45 james?
Not sure about euro-pound but my Down top was about £30 - £40, which is about the same as football jerseys.

http://www.oneills.com/categoriesList/2 ... pandable=0
This is the O'Neill's website for Tyrone stuff.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Andy Wilson wrote:Only place in town i found that has one prices em at €60. As someone who has never once bought a gaa shirt, is this dearer than it should be? It's Finn's corner, a local independent shop. I would have assumed they had a standard price for shirts, but if you reckon it should be around €45 james?
That seems very pricey to me. I'll take a look around the shops here, they all carry the Tyrone jersey as they're our neighbours. Will report back shortly
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Eoin Monaghan wrote: Not sure about euro-pound but my Down top was about £30 - £40, which is about the same as football jerseys.

http://www.oneills.com/categoriesList/2 ... pandable=0
This is the O'Neill's website for Tyrone stuff.
Do O'Neills deliver outside Ireland? Because €37 won't beaten I reckon
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

O'Neill's Website wrote:NB : This product can only be delivered to an address in the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland.
:(
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Well, it's only €37 for the baby size. The adult sizes are €60 so it must be a standard. Eoin, you being a beardless leprechaun, that would explain your cheaper shirt price! From what I can gather there they do deliver outside Ireland. Didn't specifically say UK (although I only glossed so might have missed it), but it did say something about deliveries to the US taking longer, so one would assume they deliver to the UK. Anyway, another possibility if €60 seems a bit steep, is the 2008 jersey (would your ould fella even care/know the difference?), which they seem to be still flogging, an XL one costing only €29... plus it'll become retro quicker!

Anyway, have a look at that Jono, might make it easier to order off them straight (says free postage for orders over €60, wonder if this means €60 and over?). Still no problem grabbing one and sticking it in the post for you but don't want to complicate things if this is more convenient.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Andy Wilson wrote:Well, it's only €37 for the baby size. The adult sizes are €60 so it must be a standard. Eoin, you being a beardless leprechaun, that would explain your cheaper shirt price! From what I can gather there they do deliver outside Ireland. Didn't specifically say UK (although I only glossed so might have missed it), but it did say something about deliveries to the US taking longer, so one would assume they deliver to the UK. Anyway, another possibility if €60 seems a bit steep, is the 2008 jersey (would your ould fella even care/know the difference?), which they seem to be still flogging, an XL one costing only €29... plus it'll become retro quicker!

Anyway, have a look at that Jono, might make it easier to order off them straight (says free postage for orders over €60, wonder if this means €60 and over?). Still no problem grabbing one and sticking it in the post for you but don't want to complicate things if this is more convenient.
Cheers for all the info. The 2008 one is pretty ugly compared to the newer one so I don't mind paying more for that. I've got James looking in his local shops and he's actually coming to London so the postage would be cut dramatically if he finds them. If his search proves fruitless then I might take you up on that offer.

Why is there no Euro sign on my keyboard? € oh there it is.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Nice one. I can only assume James is heading to London for the American football! The irony!
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I think Gaelic football would be the best sport in the world if they eliminated points and just had goals. Or at the very least a second crossbar that you had to get under for points.
Lee Kelly
Rookie

Post by Lee Kelly »

Just read there ed that ur da is a tyrone man,, were bouts he from big man?? kerry for sam this year i reckon, different class! put ur pennies on lavey to win the derry football championship also for all u gamblers!!
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Lee Kelly wrote:Just read there ed that ur da is a tyrone man,, were bouts he from big man?? kerry for sam this year i reckon, different class! put ur pennies on lavey to win the derry football championship also for all u gamblers!!
I put this in Google translate from Irish to English but Google couldn't make any sense of it either.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Lee Kelly wrote:Just read there ed that ur da is a tyrone man,, were bouts he from big man?? kerry for sam this year i reckon, different class! put ur pennies on lavey to win the derry football championship also for all u gamblers!!
I put this in Google translate from Irish to English but Google couldn't make any sense of it either.
It says "I've just read that Edward's father is from County Tyrone, what part of Tyrone exactly? I believe County Kerry will win this year's All Ireland championship, they are a class apart from their competitors. If one has a proclivity for gambling I suggest placing your money on Lavey. They are surely the cream of the Derry football championship."
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

An excellent translation: you are fluent in Tyrone rural-speak.