Which team do you follow?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

JasonCullen
Devotee

Which team do you follow?

Post by JasonCullen »

4. What was the Roman name for Scotland?
B. Brigantia
F. Caratacus
J. Noviomagus
M. Caledonia
Last edited by JasonCullen on Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Which team do you follow?

Post by Charlie Reams »

Spurs fan, so no luck for you so far.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Southampton.

I'll also add that Christine Armstrong is a Saints fan too.

Absolutely shitting it for Sunday's game :(
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Middlesbrough - not yet certain of avoiding relegation (again). Still, three points better off than your lot, Jason ;-)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Blackburn - we're getting good at mediocrity.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Tyrone at county level and Killyclogher at club level (even though I don't belong to the parish and should support Omagh St. Endas I played for Killyclogher's under 12s ... once ... then they discovered I was shithouse).
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Barnsley for a few days earlier this year.
Only really follow international football in which case, England and Greece. This year just Greece.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Oh, you're talking about football!

I've heard that Manchester is a pretty good team!
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Jason Larsen wrote:Oh, you're talking about football!

I've heard that Manchester is a pretty good team!
United or City?

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I heard about Manchester elsewhere, Martin.

I don't know which team.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

Used to be a Man Utd fan, but I don't like the fact that they are the Glazier family's business now, and they have lost a lot of the qualities they had with that close-knit group of hard-working, fiercely loyal and dedicated players (Beckham, Neville, Keane, Giggs, Scholes etc). Those important qualities have been replaced by a more desperate, childish, win-at-all-costs mentality introduced by players such as Ronaldo, Evra, Nani, Tevez etc. Manchester United are still not as bad as Chelsea and certainly nowhere near as bad as Arsenal in terms of that childish, whiny, bad loser, complain to the referee mentality, but I don't really like them anymore.

I consider myself a Celtic and Sunderland fan at the moment.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Richard Brittain wrote:Used to be a Man Utd fan, but I don't like the fact that they are the Glazier family's business now, and they have lost a lot of the qualities they had with that close-knit group of hard-working, fiercely loyal and dedicated players (Beckham, Neville, Keane, Giggs, Scholes etc). Those important qualities have been replaced by a more desperate, childish, win-at-all-costs mentality introduced by players such as Ronaldo, Evra, Nani, Tevez etc.
You know those are the same criticisms people levelled at Beckham et al at the peak of their careers?
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Charlie Reams wrote:
Richard Brittain wrote:Used to be a Man Utd fan, but I don't like the fact that they are the Glazier family's business now, and they have lost a lot of the qualities they had with that close-knit group of hard-working, fiercely loyal and dedicated players (Beckham, Neville, Keane, Giggs, Scholes etc). Those important qualities have been replaced by a more desperate, childish, win-at-all-costs mentality introduced by players such as Ronaldo, Evra, Nani, Tevez etc.
You know those are the same criticisms people levelled at Beckham et al at the peak of their careers?
No they weren't. No-one ever considered Beckham a bad sportsman. He's a decent guy. People just began to dislike him for his super celebrity status and constant media presence, but that wasn't his fault.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Richard Brittain wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
No they weren't. No-one ever considered Beckham a bad sportsman. He's a decent guy. People just began to dislike him for his super celebrity status and constant media presence, but that wasn't his fault.
And the red card against Argentina, and being the first ever England captain to be sent off, and the affair with one of the world's skankiest women, and...

I think this is more motivated with your grandfatherly obsession that everything now is much worse than it was back in the day.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

No idea what you're talking about Reams. Beckham was stamped by Simeone in that match, so he flailed his leg out while on the ground, touching Simeone. Simeone admitted afterwards that he was only sent off because he and his teammates protested to the referee that he should be sent off.

Most people who know about football agree that the game at the top end has been all but ruined by diving and cheating and the obsession with money.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Richard Brittain wrote:No idea what you're talking about Reams. Beckham was stamped by Simeone in that match, so he flailed his leg out while on the ground, touching Simeone. Simeone admitted afterwards that he was only sent off because he and his teammates protested to the referee that he should be sent off.

Most people who know about football agree that the game at the top end has been all but ruined by diving and cheating and the obsession with money.
Heehee, I predicted correctly that you would call me "Reams", I do hope that makes you feel like a cutting satirist. Anyway congratulations on ignoring the rest of my post, including Beckham's numerous other red cards (and being the only England player ever to be sent off more than once) and other misdemeanours. The Manchester United of that time were constantly accused of strongarm tactics and "manipulating" the referees, mainly motivated by jealousy, just as it is now. If you think football in the 90s was any less obsessed with money then I guess you have a short memory.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Calm down, Reams. I am just giving you my opinion about that particular Manchester United squad. The obsession with money began in the Nineties, Man Utd were the biggest culprit and Cantona left the club for that reason. That doesn't change my opinion on that particular group of players.

As for your other points, he has a temper when he perceives injustice, yes, many honourable people do. He may have been sent off once or twice, but he wasn't a dirty play by any stretch of the imagination. And I don't really care who he has had an affair with, but his wife is much skankier than whoever he had an affair with.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Corby wrote: Absolutely shitting it for Sunday's game :(
I feel the same corby. I'm going to the bolton game vs sunderland on saturday knowing that only a win is good enough (we have Chelsea away on the last game :oops: ). By the way, I hope you stay up :D
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

18. Who were the first team to win a penalty shoot out in the FA Cup?
F. Wolverhampton Wanderers
I. Southampton
M. Preston North End
R. Rotherham United
Last edited by JasonCullen on Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Why would I care about a bunch of 11 players completely unconnected with me? Also, those players could all end up at another team, and I wouldn't support them, even though it could be exactly the same bunch of players. What is it about a football team - the name, the ground, what?
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

19. What is the most common surname in Spain?
A. Gomez
B. Fernandez
C. Garcia
D. Carlos
Last edited by JasonCullen on Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Gevin-Gavin wrote:Why would I care about a bunch of 11 players completely unconnected with me? Also, those players could all end up at another team, and I wouldn't support them, even though it could be exactly the same bunch of players. What is it about a football team - the name, the ground, what?
I see your point. I tend to support 'teams' rather than 'clubs', so I have been known to change the club I support, because if you just force yourself to support a club and stick to that club, as most people do, you could end up having to support a bunch of moronic scumbags who you have no interest in, which seems absurd to me. Traditionally, people supported their local club, and that made sense, because you were supporting your town and virtually all of the players in the team would be from the local area, so it was a sort of 'my town is better than yours' contest. However, in the Premiership now, it is very rare to have more than 1 or 2 players from the local region playing for your team, and often half the team doesn't even speak English. There are no Londoners in the Arsenal team, for example. The manager is French and detests everything about the English, so he mostly only plays French Africans who quite probably possess no understanding, knowledge or care of the club's or area's history, and are only really over here to make big money. Most or all of the problems in modern football could easily be rectified, by introducing a salary cap of say £60,000 a year. Obsession with and corruption by money is the base root of most of the problems in the game.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Interested to know what people mean by "support". In my book it means a bit more than feeling pleased when they win. I've been to between forty and fifty Liverpool games a year for the last forty years.

David
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

David Williams wrote:Interested to know what people mean by "support". In my book it means a bit more than feeling pleased when they win. I've been to between forty and fifty Liverpool games a year for the last forty years.

David
That sounds more like religious worship.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

"Support" means to go out of your way for something, just like in plain English.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Hence why I'm more inclined to use the word 'follow' these days, though I do make a point of getting in any groups that go to Sincil Bank for any league/cup games.
Mike Brailsford
Acolyte

Post by Mike Brailsford »

Manchester United since the late 70's. I find it irritating if people start the 'glory hunter' routine as if I have to justify it :twisted:
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I must be the only one who hates UK football :lol:. Unfortunately though people keep asking me am I red or blue, when they meet me for the first time :D.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Joseph Bolas wrote:I must be the only one who hates UK football :lol:. Unfortunately though people keep asking me am I red or blue, when they meet me for the first time :D.
I remember at school, the first question anyone would ask when meeting you for the first time would be "Who do you support?" Cunts.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Fucking nerds.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Why, Jon?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ginger Jono wrote:Fucking nerds.
Who, football fans :P. I agree with that :lol: ;).
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Football is cool and if you don't agree then I'm gonna flush your head in the toilet, alright?

:evil:
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Jon, why?
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I've supported Tottenham since I was in primary school. All the other boys supported Arsenal, and even at that age I was an awkward bugger, so decided to go with the other local team, even though they were in the second division at the time.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ginger Jono wrote:Football is cool and if you don't agree then I'm gonna flush your head in the toilet, alright?

Well you would like football with a surname like One-nil.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ginger Jono wrote:Football is cool and if you don't agree then I'm gonna flush your head in the toilet, alright?

I don't agree and I NEVER will :mrgreen:.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Joseph Bolas wrote:

I am with Jono on this one, you're in for a dousing my friend :twisted:
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

David O'Donnell wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:

I am with Jono on this one, you're in for a dousing my friend :twisted:
:lol: