What would you have done?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Stop it with your hands, you will be red carded but at least you are still in the World Cup
55%
Let the ball go in, you don't want to go down in history as a "cheat"
9%
Other
36%

Total votes: 33

Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

You are moments away from going into a penalty shoot out for a place in the semi-finals of the World Cup. In the dying seconds the football goes past your goalkeeper and defender and is heading for a goal. You will be knocked out of the World Cup if this ball goes past you.

Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Re: What would you have done?

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

This puts it all in prospective. I know what you mean Ryan. He has saved his team, and they could (but probably won't) win the whole thing. Would you rather be a cheat? Or a saviour?

I think Thierry Henry has answered that for us.

I would have tried to head it out. You probably won't stop it, but at least you tried and aren't a cheat. This makes Henry's handball look like Wimbledon in comparison to the World Cup.
Last edited by Eoin Monaghan on Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

For the record, I don't think any thinking is involved at all. Everything so happens, for the totally honest players it will be a reflex action to make sure your hands don't go near it, for the slightly greasy players it will be a reflex action to handball it, even if you honestly wouldn't choose to do so if time was paused for you to make the decision. Crazy time for sure. It looked like Suarez was (at least temporarily) pretty upset with what he'd done.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

The overwhelming view is gonna be "cheating bastard" and he should never have done it at all costs. But this was an impulsive split second decision and if I was that player I would have done the same (please Jon don't lynch me). The thing is though, from the replay he could have just headed the ball clear, couldn't he?
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Well stopping the ball going in the goal is probably Suarez's natural reaction, so I would say my response doesn't fit into either category; thus my response is 'Other'.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Congratulations must go to the referee for spotting it, my initial instinct was "Jaysus, how'd he not score." And then "That guy is a legend." Shortly followed by a foul-mouthed tirade.* And when Gyan missed, I was like a kid whose candy had been taken.

*This didn't happen. I know better. It's only a game.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ryan Taylor wrote:The overwhelming view is gonna be "cheating bastard" and he should never have done it at all costs. But this was an impulsive split second decision and if I was that player I would have done the same (please Jon don't lynch me). The thing is though, from the replay he could have just headed the ball clear, couldn't he?
It was definitely clear he could have headed it. But he would have had to have gotten to it first, which was no guarantee - handling it was.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Yes, but my question is "what would you have done?" and this means in that situation. I don't think anybody in hindsight and with more than a second to think about it would choose to cheat and handball it but Suarez is now a shamed player for denying Ghana and Africa a place in the semi finals. I do feel a bit sorry for him.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

war
Last edited by Ben Hunter on Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Now the questions; what if the referee hadn't given the penalty? What if Suarez scored the winning penalty?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Congratulations must go to the referee for spotting it, my initial instinct was "Jaysus, how'd he not score." And then "That guy is a legend." Shortly followed by a foul-mouthed tirade.* And when Gyan missed, I was like a kid whose candy had been taken.

*This didn't happen. I know better. It's only a game.
Yeah I also wondered how it had not gone in but then presumed there was a handball in there somewhere. I think it was the linesman who spotted it.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

There should a fourth option here.

Killed Suarez
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Yes, but my question is "what would you have done?" and this means in that situation. I don't think anybody in hindsight and with more than a second to think about it would choose to cheat and handball it
Tbh, you're expecting a lot of people to try and genuinely work out how they would react in such an extreme situation.

(heh, that's cool - I mean of people, you are expecting a lot, rather than you are expecting many people)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:The overwhelming view is gonna be "cheating bastard" and he should never have done it at all costs. But this was an impulsive split second decision and if I was that player I would have done the same (please Jon don't lynch me). The thing is though, from the replay he could have just headed the ball clear, couldn't he?
Haha, no it's fine! I reckon it's a calculated risk though, even if it does happen in a split second. I don't believe for a moment that Suarez would have done the same thing in the opening minute of the match.

I did actually some proper stats-y sort of research on this, calculating which minute it becomes advantageous to commit the pro foul and take the red card for your team if you believe you're stopping a clear goal. The parameters were something like the current score, the probability of the chance being scored, and whether it was in or outside the box. I obviously can't remember the calculations though. Interesting though.

Also, it's funny how you're calling him a cheat and a disgraced player here, that hadn't really registered like that with me. He got the immediate punishment, which lets him off the hook to a large degree I reckon. Maradona and Henry got the cheat tag because they got away with it.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon Corby wrote: Also, it's funny how you're calling him a cheat and a disgraced player here, that hadn't really registered like that with me. He got the immediate punishment, which lets him off the hook to a large degree I reckon. Maradona and Henry got the cheat tag because they got away with it.
No I wasn't calling him it, I was saying that is what majority of the audience will think, apart from Uruguay. If it was an Englishman we would probably be knighting him.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

More or less the same thing happen in the last minute of the Island Games women's final in 2001. It was 4-4 in the last minute, the Faroe Islands player handled on the line, the Aland player missed the penalty, and Faroes won 5-4 in extra time. Am I the only person on this forum who saw it? (Yes, I thought I might be.)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

You wouldn't catch Barney putting his hand in front of the board just as Phil Taylor is about to beat him with a 170 outshot to win the world's best darts prize (or whatever shit it is).
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David Roe wrote:More or less the same thing happen in the last minute of the Island Games women's final in 2001. It was 4-4 in the last minute, the Faroe Islands player handled on the line, the Aland player missed the penalty, and Faroes won 5-4 in extra time. Am I the only person on this forum who saw it? (Yes, I thought I might be.)
Yes, I think that's a safe bet!

How is it cheating any more than hacking down a player clean through on goal anyway? Would you be vilifying him for a last-ditch tackle he had no chance of making?
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Fair point Jon. I voted other, I reckon he could have headed it.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Jon Corby wrote:
David Roe wrote:More or less the same thing happen in the last minute of the Island Games women's final in 2001. It was 4-4 in the last minute, the Faroe Islands player handled on the line, the Aland player missed the penalty, and Faroes won 5-4 in extra time. Am I the only person on this forum who saw it? (Yes, I thought I might be.)

How is it cheating any more than hacking down a player clean through on goal anyway? Would you be vilifying him for a last-ditch tackle he had no chance of making?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBrFlDpQudY

IIRC, Solskjaer was lauded for taking one for the team at the time by MOTD, Sky Sports etc.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

I remember that Vidic, on his début for Man U, hacked downed a player (Vidic was last man back) in the dying minutes after the player had just got past him. Automatic red card, Vidic walks off smirking, gets a hearty handshake from Fergie and the rest of the team.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon Corby wrote:I did actually READ some proper stats-y sort of research on this, calculating which minute it becomes advantageous to commit the pro foul and take the red card for your team if you believe you're stopping a clear goal. The parameters were something like the current score, the probability of the chance being scored, and whether it was in or outside the box. I obviously can't remember the calculations though. Interesting though.
Oops, missed an important word out of this post the first time around which changes it quite a bit! As any calculations I'd have done would have likely been bullshit.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:the probability of the chance being scored
That's a pretty ridiculous parameter to require, isnt it?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:the probability of the chance being scored
That's a pretty ridiculous parameter to require, isnt it?
Is it? I dunno, I'd need to know what Dmitry thought before I agreed. Anyway, that's not really important - the point is that I read something once.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Can anyone answer this question for me:

Why was everyone supporting Ghana?
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matthew Green wrote:Why was everyone supporting Ghana?
I was initially supporting Ghana because they were my team in the Apterous World Cup, but then they were the underdogs instead.

Also racism.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Matthew Green wrote:Can anyone answer this question for me:

Why was everyone supporting Ghana?
Cos of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVomN8jlN8w

And because we're all patronising racists.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

james doohan wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBrFlDpQudY

IIRC, Solskjaer was lauded for taking one for the team at the time by MOTD, Sky Sports etc.
I find it weird that by comparison in F1 Nelson Piquet Jnr was basically labelled the biggest cheat ever and is unlikely to drive in F1 again after he engineered a crash (involving just himself) in order to help his team-mate win.
George F. Jenkins
Rookie

Post by George F. Jenkins »

David O'Donnell wrote:I remember that Vidic, on his début for Man U, hacked downed a player (Vidic was last man back) in the dying minutes after the player had just got past him. Automatic red card, Vidic walks off smirking, gets a hearty handshake from Fergie and the rest of the team.
Many years ago, I remember a football Manager stating on television, that if the opposing team scored a goal which could have been prevented by a foul, he would have given his offending player hell after the match. Since then, I have known that most fouls are deliberate. The opinions expressed here about unthinking spur of the moment fouls are nonsense. These are professional footballers who need to win, not little boys kicking a ball in the street. Alf Ramsey called the Argentine players animals, because they did their best to cripple the English team. It is all part of the game.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

I always thought that in certain circumstances the referee can actually award a goal even though the ball has not gone in if it would have been a certain goal stopped by a deliberate foul. That would be the fairest.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Don't think so mate. I know I'm a bird, and therefore know diddly mcsquat about football (proved by having jubblies and lack of Y chromosome) but the only way to score is if all of the ball crosses all of the line when kicked by someone who wasn't offside. Unless you're Geoff Hurst, or come to that, Frank Lampard.

If you need the offside rule explaining too let me know (Kirk).
Lowering the averages since 2009
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Lesley Hines wrote:Don't think so mate. I know I'm a bird, and therefore know diddly mcsquat about football (proved by having jubblies and lack of Y chromosome) but the only way to score is if all of the ball crosses all of the line when kicked by someone who wasn't offside. Unless you're Geoff Hurst, or come to that, Frank Lampard.
Yeah. I remember a 'You Are the Ref' where the ball was stopped by the keeper's water bottle, and play had to be restarted with an indirect free kick (I think... certainly wasn't a case of the ref could just award a goal).
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:Yeah. I remember a 'You Are the Ref' where the ball was stopped by the keeper's water bottle, and play had to be restarted with an indirect free kick (I think... certainly wasn't a case of the ref could just award a goal).

(c) Jim Beglin's Hairy Knees on forum.football365.com :)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Is that Jeff Stelling in the last picture 3? :o
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

John Bosley wrote:I always thought that in certain circumstances the referee can actually award a goal even though the ball has not gone in if it would have been a certain goal stopped by a deliberate foul. That would be the fairest.

Well it must be in hockey then!! :P
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

John Bosley wrote:
John Bosley wrote:I always thought that in certain circumstances the referee can actually award a goal even though the ball has not gone in if it would have been a certain goal stopped by a deliberate foul. That would be the fairest.

Robert Baxter
Acolyte

Post by Robert Baxter »

Have a go.
Contestant: Continent please, Rachel.
Rachel: Y.
Contestant: Because I want one!

For more info, see http://wiki.apterous.org/User:The_Doctor , and don't have a go at me a the F1 drivers series.

The 86th postingest forummer.

And I'm a :ugeek:.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
John Bosley wrote:

I forgot I had posted this picture then tried to remember why I had before realising - "bullhockey". I'm not very compatible with myself.