FIFA World Cup 2010

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: FIFA World Cup 2010

Post by Michael Wallace »

Matt Morrison wrote:And then the bit where something had clearly happened off-microphone and Lawro was unprofessional enough to bring it up, completely without context for us viewers:
ML: "You alright?"
OD: "I'm fine. Thanks for asking."
Haha, glad it wasn't just me who noticed that. Classic.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Well, the Spanish victory gives me an outside chance of winning a bit of money - my main consistent prediction in the various competitions was of Spanish victory.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Kuntz.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

I'd stuck a free bet on Germany to win the cup after they beat England (when they were still 7/1), was feeling quite pleased with that after they demolished Argentina, since Spain had been rubbish all season. Then Charlie decided to put a bet on Germany as well, and now look what's happened.

Still, I have Holland to support in the final now and a potential extra £25 from the Sure sweepstake, which would be hot.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Michael Wallace wrote:I'd stuck a free bet on Germany to win the cup after they beat England (when they were still 7/1), was feeling quite pleased with that after they demolished Argentina, since Spain had been rubbish all season. Then Charlie decided to put a bet on Germany as well, and now look what's happened.

Still, I have Holland to support in the final now and a potential extra £25 from the Sure sweepstake, which would be hot.
Nobody Germany played were much good before the semi (England tentative, Argentina tactically naive), so they've not really been tested properly. Spain just had too much for them.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Go Holland.
If they do win, will they be the first team to go through a tournament and qualifying, with a 100% record?
If Spain win they will be the first team to win it after losing their opening match.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

They need to get that psychic octopus solving crimes...
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ian Volante wrote:Nobody Germany played were much good before the semi (England tentative, Argentina tactically naive), so they've not really been tested properly. Spain just had too much for them.
Good point. If they'd had to play Switzerland they'd've been screeeeeeeeeeeeeewed.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Ben Hunter wrote:They need to get that psychic octopus solving crimes...
They've left it a bit late, 2 years is getting on a bit for a captive octopus. He might not live to give evidence.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Marc Meakin wrote:Go Holland.
If they do win, will they be the first team to go through a tournament and qualifying, with a 100% record?
Brazil have already done it, 1970
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Marc Meakin wrote:If Spain win they will be the first team to win it after losing their opening match.
According to what was said by one of the commentators earlier on, yes.

But then it might've been Lawro.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

What are the James Doohan Betting Tips for the 3rd place play-off and final?
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Matt Morrison wrote:What are the James Doohan Betting Tips for the 3rd place play-off and final?
Nothing that I have great confidence in but tonight i'm gonna go for Germany minus a goal at 23/10 and a Germany/Spain double that 10 quid punt returns 38.50, as well a player to be sent off in the final at 11/4, because I think van Bommel and De Jong will try to take Xavi and Iniesta out of the game
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

James Doohan wrote:l a player to be sent off in the final at 11/4, because I think van Bommel and De Jong will try to take Xavi and Iniesta out of the game
Looking good so far..
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
James Doohan wrote:l a player to be sent off in the final at 11/4, because I think van Bommel and De Jong will try to take Xavi and Iniesta out of the game
Looking good so far..
Does Extra Time count?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Best team won, well done Spain even if they remind me of George Graham's Arsenal (1-0 and all that)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Well done Spain. Close thread.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Marc Meakin wrote:Best team won, well done Spain even if they remind me of George Graham's Arsenal (1-0 and all that)
Netherlands had the better, gilt-edged chances in normal time. Same as Portugal and Paraguay did against Spain and blew it.

They should just void this World Cup really.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Craig Beevers wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:Best team won, well done Spain even if they remind me of George Graham's Arsenal (1-0 and all that)
Netherlands had the better, gilt-edged chances in normal time. Same as Portugal and Paraguay did against Spain and blew it.

They should just void this World Cup really.
Man what a wet blanket.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Oh right. I forgot that the Spain team will all obviously rush off to the dressing room and bring up c4countdown on their laptops. Of course every forum should just be an extension of the hyperbole-fest that is the media. Also all people should reflect the same cheery 2.4 children family that you see on cereal adverts and suchlike.

So err lets see. Wow what an amazing and entertaining final. The man of the match without doubt was Dirk Kuyt - what a star of World Football. The guy can do everything. He can pass it forwards sometimes. He can hit shots that often reach the advertising hoardings. He epitomised the awesome spectacle that was the Dutch side. Children across the world will be trying to emulate the family friendly fun of Van Bommel and De Jong. Rejoice. Lets all not forget the main role model that is Arjen Robben. Such artistic and gymnastic capabilities in a contact sport remind us all how multi-talented these footballing superstars are. Oh and what spectacular saves from Casillas. The way he committed himself to falling on the floor and anticipating Robben to hit it low. Simply wonderful. Lifting the ball is such a difficult skill for footballers. Amazing.

Spain should be given huge congratulations for making games so dramatic and interesting. Their stylish way of passing the ball Carrick fashion sideways at the back has captivated people across the planet. The way they've brought in the new tactic of playing for a goalless draw in open play, then shocking teams by putting people in the box off set pieces. Astonishing. This has clearly rattled teams into missing sitters of all kinds because goal scoring chances are such a surprise. For their services to cricket and insomniacs we salute the tremendous Spanish team. You've shown us the light. You've kept the spirit of Greece and Italy alive. You 100% deserved to win every game 10-0. Thank you.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Craig Beevers wrote:Oh right. I forgot that the Spain team will all obviously rush off to the dressing room and bring up c4countdown on their laptops. Of course every forum should just be an extension of the hyperbole-fest that is the media. Also all people should reflect the same cheery 2.4 children family that you see on cereal adverts and suchlike.

So err lets see. Wow what an amazing and entertaining final. The man of the match without doubt was Dirk Kuyt - what a star of World Football. The guy can do everything. He can pass it forwards sometimes. He can hit shots that often reach the advertising hoardings. He epitomised the awesome spectacle that was the Dutch side. Children across the world will be trying to emulate the family friendly fun of Van Bommel and De Jong. Rejoice. Lets all not forget the main role model that is Arjen Robben. Such artistic and gymnastic capabilities in a contact sport remind us all how multi-talented these footballing superstars are. Oh and what spectacular saves from Casillas. The way he committed himself to falling on the floor and anticipating Robben to hit it low. Simply wonderful. Lifting the ball is such a difficult skill for footballers. Amazing.

Spain should be given huge congratulations for making games so dramatic and interesting. Their stylish way of passing the ball Carrick fashion sideways at the back has captivated people across the planet. The way they've brought in the new tactic of playing for a goalless draw in open play, then shocking teams by putting people in the box off set pieces. Astonishing. This has clearly rattled teams into missing sitters of all kinds because goal scoring chances are such a surprise. For their services to cricket and insomniacs we salute the tremendous Spanish team. You've shown us the light. You've kept the spirit of Greece and Italy alive. You 100% deserved to win every game 10-0. Thank you.
tl;dr
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Craig Beevers wrote:Oh right. I forgot that the Spain team will all obviously rush off to the dressing room and bring up c4countdown on their laptops. Of course every forum should just be an extension of the hyperbole-fest that is the media. Also all people should reflect the same cheery 2.4 children family that you see on cereal adverts and suchlike.

You should try going outside, it's sunny out there.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

So,Craig, how much money did you lose on Brazil/Argentina?
In all seriousness it wasn't a great spectacle, but the World Cup final seldom is.
It would have been a goalfest though, if Webb had the bottle to send off 3 players instead of 1.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Jez, you are some tit

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:
Looking good so far..
Does Extra Time count?
Nope, well done Howard Webb, you bottled every major decision and prevented the game from being anyway entertaining by allowing the dutch to kick the shit out of the Spanish, bravo, unfortunately it was only the second worst refereeing performance I saw yesterday
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I can almost see the redness of your face as I read this :oops:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Robert Baxter
Acolyte

Post by Robert Baxter »

I HATE football. Except Fulham. :oops:
Contestant: Continent please, Rachel.
Rachel: Y.
Contestant: Because I want one!

For more info, see http://wiki.apterous.org/User:The_Doctor , and don't have a go at me a the F1 drivers series.

The 86th postingest forummer.

And I'm a :ugeek:.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Paul Howe wrote:This rule might actually make the game a lot longer (yay irony) and change the dynamics of the game (constant tactical consultations at breaks in play, stopping the clock for every little injury and so on). Probably not worth it to deal with a minor problem.
Presumably you'd set the length so that it would be approximately the same overall length as now. You could just look at the average time the ball is in play. It also seems entirely arbitrary that there is time added on for injuries but not other things. I don't see why you'd have constant tactical consulations. If anything, that's more likely to happen now - by the leading team - to waste time. But you could still stop this anyway by having the referee keeping the game moving. Just because the time stops, it wouldn't make time wasting allowed.

Also, do people not find it unsatisfactory that there is not a definite end point? If you had a set amount of time rather than an arbitrary amount of injury time added on, the game would just end at the end of the time and you'd know when it was going to happen.

Edit - http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdevel ... _37447.pdf

It's about 52 minutes, so games could be set at 50 minutes long, or 60 if you want them longer.
I was just reading this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20464371 - and was reminded of this discussion. I think it's a bit of a joke to be honest how sports can get away with being so imprecise when there's so much money and interest in it.