Vuvuzela

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Vuvuzelas at the World Cup:

Ban them. My head hurts.
56%
Keep blowing 'em. World Cups are all about local culture.
19%
I don't care either way, for whatever reason.
25%

Total votes: 32

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Vuvuzela

Post by Matt Morrison »

I'm just watching the BBC's live coverage of England's final warm-up match against Platinum Stars, and, particularly evident without any audio commentary, I've been instantly reminded of how fucking annoying I found the constant vuvuzela-blowing in last year's Confederations Cup.

Your opinions please.

Vuvuzelas: invalid in both Countdown and my head.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Vuvuzela

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote: Vuvuzelas: invalid in Countdown
Not for long perhaps :o
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Decent pencil.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Decent pencil.
Thanks, but it's not that long either unfortunately.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Horrible noise, and that is in a half empty stadium.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Yeah, it was a bit head wrecking in the confederations cup. Must be awful when you're in the stadium. That's why they have a rape epidemic over there, cos they've all got the horn...
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Andy Wilson wrote:Yeah, it was a bit head wrecking in the confederations cup. Must be awful when you're in the stadium. That's why they have a rape epidemic over there, cos they've all got the horn...
Insert picture of tumbleweed here. :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Andy Wilson wrote:Yeah, it was a bit head wrecking in the confederations cup. Must be awful when you're in the stadium. That's why they have a rape epidemic over there, cos they've all got the horn...
Insert picture of tumbleweed here. :)
I don't think that's a tradition you want to start.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Can we please have an option for creating silent ones, cos they sound awful but that's a truly fantastic word. 8-)
Lowering the averages since 2009
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

It'll be something that identifies the tournament in posterity, like the wave in '86, or Falcao's veins in '82.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

I think they could actually ruin the whole tournament. Its an appalling noise. I had to stop watching those conf.cup games last summer and couldnt watch that England match before. Really bad move letting this shitbox country try and run a world cup, I guarantee at least 10 dead supporters.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matthew Green wrote:I think they could actually ruin the whole tournament. Its an appalling noise. I had to stop watching those conf.cup games last summer and couldnt watch that England match before. Really bad move letting this shitbox country try and run a world cup, I guarantee at least 10 dead supporters.
More if England get through the group stages.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Ian Volante wrote:
Matthew Green wrote:I think they could actually ruin the whole tournament. Its an appalling noise. I had to stop watching those conf.cup games last summer and couldnt watch that England match before. Really bad move letting this shitbox country try and run a world cup, I guarantee at least 10 dead supporters.
Jealousy will get you nowhere! :lol:
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Lesley Hines wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
Jealousy will get you nowhere! :lol:
Don't you know we're all English in this city? :roll:
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I hate football and I had to endure 90 minutes of England the other day. What fucking annoyed me more was the constant horn blowing. Someone had to tell me what they were but there's no need for it.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I like. Or, at the very least, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:I hate football
Clearly, you haven't even changed your avatar to the Brazil flag for the Apterous World Cup :!:
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

James Robinson wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:I hate football
Clearly, you haven't even changed your avatar to the Brazil flag for the Apterous World Cup :!:
On the basis of that I am surprised he even entered. :!:
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

James Robinson wrote: Clearly, you haven't even changed your avatar to the Brazil flag for the Apterous World Cup :!:
Ha, I'm not even sure I'd know how to do it. I don't hate country's flags, James, I hate football. I don't want to watch people running around passing a ball and then having a shot on target and missing by miles. How much do they get paid? You don't get the best darter in the world going for double 8 and missing by 2 foot do you. Ridiculous.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:You don't get the best darter in the world going for double 8 and missing by 2 foot do you. Ridiculous.
Utter A-lol. Love you.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
James Robinson wrote: Clearly, you haven't even changed your avatar to the Brazil flag for the Apterous World Cup :!:
Ha, I'm not even sure I'd know how to do it. I don't hate country's flags, James, I hate football. I don't want to watch people running around passing a ball and then having a shot on target and missing by miles. How much do they get paid? You don't get the best darter in the world going for double 8 and missing by 2 foot do you. Ridiculous.
If it hits the wire and bounces out it could be over 6 foot from the target. :)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Marc Meakin wrote:Bad news for Vuvuzela haters http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 737455.stm
FIFA branded vuvuzelas are on sale in South Africa so this talk of a ban was total bullshit
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Ha, I'm not even sure I'd know how to do it.
How did you get your face as your avatar in the first place then :?: :?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:You don't get the best darter in the world going for double 8 and missing by 2 foot do you. Ridiculous.
Utter A-lol. Love you.
Or, like, I bet Beevers doesn't go to lay a word in Scrabble, and places the tiles on his shoes instead.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

I think they sound like some beautiful demented honey bee.
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

They are annoying but not as much as James Corden. At least you can switch him off.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Kirk Bevins wrote: You don't get the best darter in the world going for double 8 and missing by 2 foot do you. Ridiculous.
I'd like to see Phil Taylor try that shot with van Barneveld bearing down on him at full speed. See how close he gets then.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Ian Volante wrote:It'll be something that identifies the tournament in posterity, like the wave in '86
I hope it's not like the wave in '86, cos the wave spread to other places.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

The horn - it sounds like a horn - it sounds like a horn - it sounds like a horn - it sounds like a hornet. Sorry, I couldn't quite get my words out.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Liam Tiernan wrote: I'd like to see Phil Taylor try that shot with van Barneveld bearing down on him at full speed. See how close he gets then.
The idea is that Phil is pressured as Barneveld is sat on 32 for the match. There are nerves and he is under great pressure to be accurate. The precision in darts is immense, however they can still manage it. How can people who get paid millions not shoot towards the target properly when they've practised so much. I'm sure they've practised being under attack/pressured - they should know how to cope with it. It's ridiculous.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

James Robinson wrote: How did you get your face as your avatar in the first place then :?: :?
I sent it to Charlie or Charlie just put it on there - I can't remember which.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Liam Tiernan wrote: I'd like to see Phil Taylor try that shot with van Barneveld bearing down on him at full speed. See how close he gets then.
The idea is that Phil is pressured as Barneveld is sat on 32 for the match. There are nerves and he is under great pressure to be accurate. The precision in darts is immense, however they can still manage it. How can people who get paid millions not shoot towards the target properly when they've practised so much. I'm sure they've practised being under attack/pressured - they should know how to cope with it. It's ridiculous.
Yes, and players do sometimes miss under those circumstances, even with three darts at a double. Pretty much the darts equivalent of missing an open goal, wouldn't you say?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Liam Tiernan wrote: Yes, and players do sometimes miss under those circumstances, even with three darts at a double. Pretty much the darts equivalent of missing an open goal, wouldn't you say?
Not really. If you're a pro you should score a goal into an open goal 99 times out of 100. You wouldn't expect to hit a double 99 times out of 100 - in fact a good percentage on doubles is around 30%.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Liam Tiernan wrote: Yes, and players do sometimes miss under those circumstances, even with three darts at a double. Pretty much the darts equivalent of missing an open goal, wouldn't you say?
Not really. If you're a pro you should score a goal into an open goal 99 times out of 100. You wouldn't expect to hit a double 99 times out of 100 - in fact a good percentage on doubles is around 30%.
So for a pro, having 4 darts at a double should be converted 99 times out of a hundred? I haven't watched darts much, but my impression would be that percentage is a little high. (I'm assuming the 30% figure is per dart, not per 3 darts) I've seen pro matches where a player has SIX darts to close out a game and fails to do so. Ridiculous!
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Liam Tiernan wrote: So for a pro, having 4 darts at a double should be converted 99 times out of a hundred?
76 times out of a hundred.

And Kirk, it's more like Taylor trying to hit the target while running in from an angle, with Barney simultaneously giving him a nipple cripple.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

People always go on about how the England football team have underperformed over the years, but the reason is obvious - all the best people go into darts. Other countries don't have such a darts scene so have better footballers.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Paul Howe wrote:
Liam Tiernan wrote: So for a pro, having 4 darts at a double should be converted 99 times out of a hundred?
76 times out of a hundred.

And Kirk, it's more like Taylor trying to hit the target while running in from an angle, with Barney simultaneously giving him a nipple cripple.
And the dart is also moving when he tries to aim it. And somebody's trying to block the dartboard.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Gavin Chipper wrote:People always go on about how the England football team have underperformed over the years, but the reason is obvious - all the best people go into darts. Other countries don't have such a darts scene so have better footballers.
This is why the Netherlands have never won the World Cup.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Gavin Chipper wrote:People always go on about how the England football team have underperformed over the years, but the reason is obvious - all the best people go into darts. Other countries don't have such a darts scene so have better footballers.
That's right - this man should be a footballer.
Or maybe it's just horses for courses?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

What the fuck? You will have practised shooting at a target when there are men running towards you. In darts you haven't practised being nipple crippled by Barney.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Darts is easier than football.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Football is a sport.
Darts is a game.
End of.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Marc Meakin wrote:Football is a sport.
Darts is a game.
End of.
Whatever Meakin.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote:Football is a sport.
Darts is a game.
End of.
Whatever Meakin.
It takes WUM to know WUM. :)
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Kirk Bevins wrote:What the fuck? You will have practised shooting at a target when there are men running towards you. In darts you haven't practised being nipple crippled by Barney.
Pity. Might have made it interesting.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

More people go into football so the top players are probably "better" in some sort of statistical sense. That's an easier way of looking at it than trying to work out whether it's easier to hit a double in darts or nutmeg Damon Hill in football.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Back on topic... I noticed there a big surge in the noise as Forlan stood over the ball to take a free just outside the box against the home nation. So it's officially disrespectful.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Andy Wilson wrote:Back on topic... I noticed there a big surge in the noise as Forlan stood over the ball to take a free just outside the box against the home nation. So it's officially disrespectful.
So like going "wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooah!" when someone takes a free kick?
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

What's the difference between a vuvuzela and a woman?
One's an annoying noise in your ear for 90 minutes whilst the football's on, the other is a plastic trumpet!
Boom boom.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Hah, good one!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Byron Wallen trying to make the vuvuzela sound nice (52 second clip from Newsnight via BBC)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

For anyone who hates the Vuvuzela. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-Ln_rqPpPk
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Andy Wilson wrote:and if you don't... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HmDVz1ED84
Nice 1. :)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Own a vuvuzela! Win one of 5000 from the Sun
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Own a vuvuzela! Win one of 5000 from the Sun
You wouldn't see Barney blowing a vuvuzela, would you?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »