Trade Secrets

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Martyn Simpson
Rookie

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Martyn Simpson » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:40 pm

What about if you live round my way, where most women are grandmothers by the time they hit 30?

Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:55 pm

Richard Adams wrote:Juvenile? That's another pan of sausages altogether.

Lesley's grandson and granddaughter were both adult and consenting.
Am I the only one that needed several minutes to mentally re-create that sentence as "The grandson and granddaughter from Lesley's example were both..."?

Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:57 pm

What has my thread become :(

Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:44 am

You're worried? I report something that (admittedly may or may not be true - didn't check it out terribly thoroughly cos I didn't want to think about it too much) was the result of a fairly animated conversation with a copper, and the next thing I know I've got grandchildren! Who are at it! My life! :shock: :lol: :shock:
Lowering the averages since 2009

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:24 pm

Lesley Hines wrote: I report something that (admittedly may or may not be true - didn't check it out terribly thoroughly cos I didn't want to think about it too much) was the result of a fairly animated conversation with a copper
I think the real trade secret here is that the police generally have very sketchy knowledge of the law.

Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:50 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:
Lesley Hines wrote: I report something that (admittedly may or may not be true - didn't check it out terribly thoroughly cos I didn't want to think about it too much) was the result of a fairly animated conversation with a copper
I think the real trade secret here is that the police generally have very sketchy knowledge of the law.
***LIKE***
(Although I should put in this case the copper was my sister who has two undergraduate degrees and several post-graduate qualifications, is absolutely no muppet, and lectures for the OU in her spare time when she's not inspectoring).
Lowering the averages since 2009

Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:45 pm

McDonald's pro tip: 6 chicken nuggets = £2.25. 4 chicken nuggets: £0.99. Life-changing.

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:09 pm

Jon O'Neill wrote:McDonald's pro tip: 6 chicken nuggets = £2.25. 4 chicken nuggets: £0.99. Life-changing.
And another: Large meal, +50p. Potato wedges, +50p. Both, +50p. So if you're getting potato wedges you might as well get the large meal. (This is open knowledge on the price list, but it's phrased in a deliberately confusing way IMO.)

Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:20 pm

and why not get creative while you eat

Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:17 pm

Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:49 pm

Ah bollix. Sound.

Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:30 pm

Crap hoax, but then I'd read the bollix comment before viewing. Why don't youtube remove it?

Rechargeable batteries are the way to go, certainly for AA and AAA size which are readily available as are their chargers. I can't understand why anyone uses non-rechargeables. Yes, they're expensive to start off with, and you have to buy double the amount you use so that you can keep some charged up ready, but the savings in the long term (as well as to the planet) are huge.
I've been using them for donkeys years, and my kids have grown up with remembering to keep charging up batteries for their gadgets so they're not stuck when their current ones run out.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:04 pm

Julie T wrote:Crap hoax, but then I'd read the bollix comment before viewing. Why don't youtube remove it?
:? Why should YouTube remove it? It hardly qualifies as a "hoax" anyway, unless you can't read, seeing as the opening title says GAGFILMS in large cartoony letters.

Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:33 pm

On the batteries subject, I keep getting an on screen message that the batteries in my Sky remote need changing but I don't change them and they last another six months. Could this be a ploy between Sky and the battery companies to get you to buy batteries when you don't need to?

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:56 pm

Mark James wrote:On the batteries subject, I keep getting an on screen message that the batteries in my Sky remote need changing but I don't change them and they last another six months. Could this be a ploy between Sky and the battery companies to get you to buy batteries when you don't need to?
Six months? Am currently on three years of extra use on the set in front of me at the moment in Devon. Admittedly these days the remote only gets used during Christmas/Easter/Summer holidays and some half terms, but at least the first year after the batteries message first popped up the remote was being used nearly ever day before I moved to London.

Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:45 pm

Matt Morrison wrote:
Mark James wrote:On the batteries subject, I keep getting an on screen message that the batteries in my Sky remote need changing but I don't change them and they last another six months. Could this be a ploy between Sky and the battery companies to get you to buy batteries when you don't need to?
Six months? Am currently on three years of extra use on the set in front of me at the moment in Devon. Admittedly these days the remote only gets used during Christmas/Easter/Summer holidays and some half terms, but at least the first year after the batteries message first popped up the remote was being used nearly ever day before I moved to London.
Six months wasn't an exact number, it was just something to put down to make the point. It can be shorter or longer than that. Sometimes the message appears cause I'm not pointing the remote at the box properly or something is blocking the infra red thing on the box.

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:03 pm

Yeah sorry. Didn't mean to accuse you of not using your remote enough or being a battery ponce or anything. Meant to agree with you, those messages are massively ignorable.

JimBentley
Legend

Post by JimBentley » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:36 pm

Indeed, and when the thing finally does seem to have given up the ghost, just take the batteries out and put them back in again. You can get at least another couple of years out of them that way.

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Haha yeah I love doing that. Batteries are a funny thing.
I have a rechargeable battery charger that isn't massively old, only 5 or 6 years, but has seen a lot of use, and it constantly gives me aggro with the LEDs.
I have to keep tapping the batteries or spinning them round or taking them in and out before the lights will come on to say they are charging, though I've never bothered trying to find out whether it's just the LEDs failing or if they really are a true sign and its the metal contacts that are dying.

In other battery news, I remember always being told not to mix batteries of different charges or different brands when I was younger, I've never paid much attention to that advice either, and never paid for it (unless charging empty batteries with half full ones is what has killed my charger prematurely).

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:15 am

Julie T wrote: you have to buy double the amount you use so that you can keep some charged up ready
Surely you only need as many as might reasonably run out at once?

Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:09 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:
Julie T wrote: you have to buy double the amount you use so that you can keep some charged up ready
Surely you only need as many as might reasonably run out at once?
In theory, yes. In practice, having plenty avoids arguments if you have multiple kids depleting batteries in their gadgets at any one time. It also means that there are spares for when a new gadget is bought.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli

Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:48 pm

Phil Reynolds wrote: the opening title says GAGFILMS in large cartoony letters.
Now I want to gag.

Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:08 pm

Matt Morrison wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:56 pm
Any news on these batteries?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles