Trade Secrets

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Martyn Simpson
Rookie
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:54 pm
Location: Wolverhampton

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Martyn Simpson » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:40 pm

What about if you live round my way, where most women are grandmothers by the time they hit 30?

Andrew Feist
Enthusiast
Posts: 462
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:43 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Andrew Feist » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:55 pm

Richard Adams wrote:Juvenile? That's another pan of sausages altogether.

Lesley's grandson and granddaughter were both adult and consenting.
Am I the only one that needed several minutes to mentally re-create that sentence as "The grandson and granddaughter from Lesley's example were both..."?

User avatar
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja
Posts: 4320
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Jon O'Neill » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:57 pm

What has my thread become :(

User avatar
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter
Posts: 1250
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:29 pm
Location: Worcester

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Lesley Hines » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:44 am

You're worried? I report something that (admittedly may or may not be true - didn't check it out terribly thoroughly cos I didn't want to think about it too much) was the result of a fairly animated conversation with a copper, and the next thing I know I've got grandchildren! Who are at it! My life! :shock: :lol: :shock:
Lowering the averages since 2009

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9453
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Charlie Reams » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:24 pm

Lesley Hines wrote: I report something that (admittedly may or may not be true - didn't check it out terribly thoroughly cos I didn't want to think about it too much) was the result of a fairly animated conversation with a copper
I think the real trade secret here is that the police generally have very sketchy knowledge of the law.

User avatar
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter
Posts: 1250
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:29 pm
Location: Worcester

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Lesley Hines » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:50 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:
Lesley Hines wrote: I report something that (admittedly may or may not be true - didn't check it out terribly thoroughly cos I didn't want to think about it too much) was the result of a fairly animated conversation with a copper
I think the real trade secret here is that the police generally have very sketchy knowledge of the law.
***LIKE***
(Although I should put in this case the copper was my sister who has two undergraduate degrees and several post-graduate qualifications, is absolutely no muppet, and lectures for the OU in her spare time when she's not inspectoring).
Lowering the averages since 2009

User avatar
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja
Posts: 4320
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Jon O'Neill » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:45 pm

McDonald's pro tip: 6 chicken nuggets = £2.25. 4 chicken nuggets: £0.99. Life-changing.

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9453
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Charlie Reams » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:09 pm

Jon O'Neill wrote:McDonald's pro tip: 6 chicken nuggets = £2.25. 4 chicken nuggets: £0.99. Life-changing.
And another: Large meal, +50p. Potato wedges, +50p. Both, +50p. So if you're getting potato wedges you might as well get the large meal. (This is open knowledge on the price list, but it's phrased in a deliberately confusing way IMO.)

User avatar
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter
Posts: 1172
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Andy Wilson » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:20 pm

and why not get creative while you eat

Image

User avatar
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter
Posts: 1172
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Andy Wilson » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:17 pm



User avatar
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter
Posts: 1172
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Andy Wilson » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:49 pm

Ah bollix. Sound.

User avatar
Julie T
Kiloposter
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:12 pm
Location: Hertfordshire, England

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Julie T » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:30 pm

Crap hoax, but then I'd read the bollix comment before viewing. Why don't youtube remove it?

Rechargeable batteries are the way to go, certainly for AA and AAA size which are readily available as are their chargers. I can't understand why anyone uses non-rechargeables. Yes, they're expensive to start off with, and you have to buy double the amount you use so that you can keep some charged up ready, but the savings in the long term (as well as to the planet) are huge.
I've been using them for donkeys years, and my kids have grown up with remembering to keep charging up batteries for their gadgets so they're not stuck when their current ones run out.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli

User avatar
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General
Posts: 3325
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: Leamington Spa, UK

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Phil Reynolds » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:04 pm

Julie T wrote:Crap hoax, but then I'd read the bollix comment before viewing. Why don't youtube remove it?
:? Why should YouTube remove it? It hardly qualifies as a "hoax" anyway, unless you can't read, seeing as the opening title says GAGFILMS in large cartoony letters.

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1328
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Mark James » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:33 pm

On the batteries subject, I keep getting an on screen message that the batteries in my Sky remote need changing but I don't change them and they last another six months. Could this be a ploy between Sky and the battery companies to get you to buy batteries when you don't need to?

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7639
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Matt Morrison » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:56 pm

Mark James wrote:On the batteries subject, I keep getting an on screen message that the batteries in my Sky remote need changing but I don't change them and they last another six months. Could this be a ploy between Sky and the battery companies to get you to buy batteries when you don't need to?
Six months? Am currently on three years of extra use on the set in front of me at the moment in Devon. Admittedly these days the remote only gets used during Christmas/Easter/Summer holidays and some half terms, but at least the first year after the batteries message first popped up the remote was being used nearly ever day before I moved to London.

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1328
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Mark James » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:45 pm

Matt Morrison wrote:
Mark James wrote:On the batteries subject, I keep getting an on screen message that the batteries in my Sky remote need changing but I don't change them and they last another six months. Could this be a ploy between Sky and the battery companies to get you to buy batteries when you don't need to?
Six months? Am currently on three years of extra use on the set in front of me at the moment in Devon. Admittedly these days the remote only gets used during Christmas/Easter/Summer holidays and some half terms, but at least the first year after the batteries message first popped up the remote was being used nearly ever day before I moved to London.
Six months wasn't an exact number, it was just something to put down to make the point. It can be shorter or longer than that. Sometimes the message appears cause I'm not pointing the remote at the box properly or something is blocking the infra red thing on the box.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7639
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Matt Morrison » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:03 pm

Yeah sorry. Didn't mean to accuse you of not using your remote enough or being a battery ponce or anything. Meant to agree with you, those messages are massively ignorable.

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2781
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by JimBentley » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:36 pm

Indeed, and when the thing finally does seem to have given up the ghost, just take the batteries out and put them back in again. You can get at least another couple of years out of them that way.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7639
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Matt Morrison » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Haha yeah I love doing that. Batteries are a funny thing.
I have a rechargeable battery charger that isn't massively old, only 5 or 6 years, but has seen a lot of use, and it constantly gives me aggro with the LEDs.
I have to keep tapping the batteries or spinning them round or taking them in and out before the lights will come on to say they are charging, though I've never bothered trying to find out whether it's just the LEDs failing or if they really are a true sign and its the metal contacts that are dying.

In other battery news, I remember always being told not to mix batteries of different charges or different brands when I was younger, I've never paid much attention to that advice either, and never paid for it (unless charging empty batteries with half full ones is what has killed my charger prematurely).

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9453
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Charlie Reams » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:15 am

Julie T wrote: you have to buy double the amount you use so that you can keep some charged up ready
Surely you only need as many as might reasonably run out at once?

User avatar
Julie T
Kiloposter
Posts: 1130
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:12 pm
Location: Hertfordshire, England

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Julie T » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:09 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:
Julie T wrote: you have to buy double the amount you use so that you can keep some charged up ready
Surely you only need as many as might reasonably run out at once?
In theory, yes. In practice, having plenty avoids arguments if you have multiple kids depleting batteries in their gadgets at any one time. It also means that there are spares for when a new gadget is bought.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli

User avatar
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter
Posts: 1172
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Andy Wilson » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:48 pm

Phil Reynolds wrote: the opening title says GAGFILMS in large cartoony letters.
Now I want to gag.

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3572
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Ian Volante » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:08 pm

Matt Morrison wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:56 pm
Mark James wrote:On the batteries subject, I keep getting an on screen message that the batteries in my Sky remote need changing but I don't change them and they last another six months. Could this be a ploy between Sky and the battery companies to get you to buy batteries when you don't need to?
Six months? Am currently on three years of extra use on the set in front of me at the moment in Devon. Admittedly these days the remote only gets used during Christmas/Easter/Summer holidays and some half terms, but at least the first year after the batteries message first popped up the remote was being used nearly ever day before I moved to London.
Any news on these batteries?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10017
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu May 21, 2020 2:12 pm

Have you ever tried dunking biscuits in orange juice instead of that borderline toxic brown liquid that people sometimes use? It helps if it's the higher quality freshly squeezed stuff. You are very welcome.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Marc Meakin » Thu May 21, 2020 3:08 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:12 pm
Have you ever tried dunking biscuits in orange juice instead of that borderline toxic brown liquid that people sometimes use? It helps if it's the higher quality freshly squeezed stuff. You are very welcome.
That sounds disgusting.
Although I have been known to dip toast in that borderline toxic brown stuff (coffee in my case )
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Marc Meakin » Thu May 21, 2020 3:13 pm

Peanut butter with Marmite is better than you think
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7639
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Matt Morrison » Fri May 22, 2020 10:23 pm

It's exactly as good as I think it is.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10017
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat May 23, 2020 6:40 am

Matt Morrison wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:23 pm
It's exactly as good as I think it is.
Same here.

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3572
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Ian Volante » Sun May 24, 2020 8:01 pm

Ian Volante wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:08 pm
Matt Morrison wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:56 pm
Mark James wrote:On the batteries subject, I keep getting an on screen message that the batteries in my Sky remote need changing but I don't change them and they last another six months. Could this be a ploy between Sky and the battery companies to get you to buy batteries when you don't need to?
Six months? Am currently on three years of extra use on the set in front of me at the moment in Devon. Admittedly these days the remote only gets used during Christmas/Easter/Summer holidays and some half terms, but at least the first year after the batteries message first popped up the remote was being used nearly ever day before I moved to London.
Any news on these batteries?
Tut.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1328
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Mark James » Sun May 24, 2020 8:03 pm

We got a Sky Q box with new batteries about a year ago. As far as know the other ones are still working.

Fiona T
Enthusiast
Posts: 433
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Fiona T » Sun May 24, 2020 8:25 pm

My mouse/keyboard batteries seem to need changing every few weeks. No idea what I'm doing wrong. :(
8-) <-2m-> 8-)

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10017
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sun May 24, 2020 8:42 pm

Fiona T wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:25 pm
My mouse/keyboard batteries seem to need changing every few weeks. No idea what I'm doing wrong. :(
You're using a mouse and keyboard that need batteries. That's what you're doing wrong.

Fiona T
Enthusiast
Posts: 433
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Fiona T » Sun May 24, 2020 9:10 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:42 pm
Fiona T wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:25 pm
My mouse/keyboard batteries seem to need changing every few weeks. No idea what I'm doing wrong. :(
You're using a mouse and keyboard that need batteries. That's what you're doing wrong.
But they are sleek and beautiful. As long as your keyboard doesn't give up mid apto-round.
8-) <-2m-> 8-)

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Marc Meakin » Sat May 30, 2020 9:19 am

Not sure if this is a trade secret or something I've only just realised.
When preparing jam on Bread , toast etc.
Use a tea spoon to get the jam out of the jar rather than use the knife you use for the butter.
Also works for peanut butter and marmalade ( not together though ....unless )
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Paul Worsley
Acolyte
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:51 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Paul Worsley » Sat May 30, 2020 3:24 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:19 am

Use a tea spoon to get the jam out of the jar rather than use the knife you use for the butter.
Using the same knife for the butter and the marmalade/jam/marmite is a heinous crime in the Worsley household, and still policed officiously by Mrs W, even after 29 years of marriage.

Crumbs of toast in the Lurpak is another big no no. Full Metal Jacket style inspections can occur at anytime and without warning.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Marc Meakin » Sat May 30, 2020 4:59 pm

I have to use kitchen roll on the knife after every spread.
Maybe I should use the spoon for the butter too.

My stepson in-law says that he used to use a spoon ( the bottom ) to butter the bread , when he worked in a sandwich shop .
Apparently it's the best way to avoid damaging the bread
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10017
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat May 30, 2020 6:02 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:19 am
Not sure if this is a trade secret or something I've only just realised.
When preparing jam on Bread , toast etc.
Use a tea spoon to get the jam out of the jar rather than use the knife you use for the butter.
Also works for peanut butter and marmalade ( not together though ....unless )
Isn't it just obvious that if you don't want to get one thing contaminated with another you use a different implement (or clean in between uses)?

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Marc Meakin » Sat May 30, 2020 6:41 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:02 pm
Marc Meakin wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:19 am
Not sure if this is a trade secret or something I've only just realised.
When preparing jam on Bread , toast etc.
Use a tea spoon to get the jam out of the jar rather than use the knife you use for the butter.
Also works for peanut butter and marmalade ( not together though ....unless )
Isn't it just obvious that if you don't want to get one thing contaminated with another you use a different implement (or clean in between uses)?
I counter , if it was obvious , to me , I wouldn't have posted it 🙂
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10017
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sun May 31, 2020 7:14 pm

Matt Morrison wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:44 pm

In other battery news, I remember always being told not to mix batteries of different charges or different brands when I was younger, I've never paid much attention to that advice either, and never paid for it (unless charging empty batteries with half full ones is what has killed my charger prematurely).
In more other battery news, I have a Flex from about 1987 and the batteries have never been changed. Every so often I turn it on, and it always works.

Paul Worsley
Acolyte
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:51 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Paul Worsley » Sun May 31, 2020 8:21 pm

A good quality vodka tastes better out of the fridge. The same is true for gin.

Fiona T
Enthusiast
Posts: 433
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Fiona T » Sun May 31, 2020 9:22 pm

Paul Worsley wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:21 pm
A good quality vodka tastes better out of the fridge. The same is true for gin.
Co-incidentally I was zoom-chatting to a mate yesterday who was making bacon vodka. His next project is bacon gin.

I once proposed the hypothesis that there is no dish in existence that cannot be improved by either the addition of bacon, or the addition of gin.

He's combining the two - this might just be the perfect lockdown breakfast!
8-) <-2m-> 8-)

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:41 am

I agree with the chilled vodka ...don't like any gin though.

On the subject of alcohol , I cannot stand hot alcoholic drinks
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3572
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Ian Volante » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:40 pm

Paul Worsley wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:21 pm
A good quality vodka tastes better out of the fridge. The same is true for gin.
Surely this effect is even more pronounced for poor-quality alcohol?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:24 pm

Ian Volante wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:40 pm
Paul Worsley wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:21 pm
A good quality vodka tastes better out of the fridge. The same is true for gin.
Surely this effect is even more pronounced for poor-quality alcohol?
I'm sure taste bud impairment must be affected around 4 degrees C or so
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Fiona T
Enthusiast
Posts: 433
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Fiona T » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:55 pm

I thought everyone knew this, but apparently not...

If you use gmail/googlemail then you can add +anything to your name and your email still gets to you. gmail and googlemail are also interchangeable, and it will happily ignore extra dots.

so if you set up your account as

joe.bloggs@gmail.com

then

joebloggs+foo@googlemail.com or any other variation will still mean your emails get to you :)
8-) <-2m-> 8-)

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10017
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:14 pm

Is it useful for anything though? Why would I want to stick + after my name?

Edit - I suppose you can see which company is responsible for your spam if you put +companyname after your address when you buy anything?

Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Acolyte
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:30 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Sam Cappleman-Lynes » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:18 pm

This is a good way of setting up filters to ignore emails from particular online services: if you know you aren't going to care about emails from the Doohickey Company but they force you to sign up with an email address to buy a Doohickey from them, then use joebloggs+doohickey@gmail.com and filter away

And another use for this feature is that it lets you see which companies are being loose-handed with your personal info. If you sign up to the Dodgy Company with joebloggs+dodgy@gmail.com and you start getting deluged with advertisements sent to that address, you know exactly who to blame.

EDIT: Gevin has now explicitly asked the question that I was implicitly answering with this post

User avatar
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja
Posts: 4320
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Jon O'Neill » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:27 pm

If you want multiple accounts on some platform then they are generally not clever enough to distinguish between the above as well.

Fiona T
Enthusiast
Posts: 433
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Fiona T » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:30 pm

what the others said - use joe.bloggs+company@gmail.com and you know who's leaked your data.

Working in IT I use it all the time for testing stuff where I want multiple accounts - joe bloggs must be getting a lot of crap email! ;)
8-) <-2m-> 8-)

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3572
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Ian Volante » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:37 am

That is handy, I never knew. If only I liked the gmail interface!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7639
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Matt Morrison » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:36 pm

If you go to https://youtube.com./ (note the .) then you'll get a totally ad-free YouTube experience (well, until they cotton on and stop this working of course).

e.g. https://www.youtube.com./watch?v=no1vf854aUc

The . at the end of a host name is ignored by DNS servers, so youtube.com. resolves to the same place as youtube.com
Many sites check in their .htaccess file that the user is on the right domain, and forward them to the right one if not, but youtube don't currently do this.
They then try to load their ads from youtube.com (without the .) and they’re blocked by CORS for breaking cross domain policies.

EDIT - thought they'd fixed it already for a moment, but no, phpBB is removing the dot - so copy and paste rather than click these links to see what I mean.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Marc Meakin » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:19 am

If you are in any way in the public eye or work for the government or any major corporation , now would be the time to have a cull of your social media output for anything that could vote you in the arse politically.
Or if you can't be bothered just make a blanket apology for everything casually or otherwise racist , sexist or homophobic.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:38 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Callum Todd » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:18 am

Fiona and Matt dropping absolute wisdom bombs here.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10017
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:46 pm

Instead of snacking on unhealthy potato crisps, trying Yushoi. They're much healthier and actually taste quite nice. The "plain" flavour have 19.4 grams of protein per 100 grams, compared to 6.1 for Walkers plain. And they're baked rather than fried. I'm not going to pretend they're better than good crisps, but for a daily thing rather than a special treat, I think they work very well.

Matt Rutherford
Newbie
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:41 pm
Location: Birmingham Airport's drone exclusion zone

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Matt Rutherford » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:48 am

Not so useful at the moment, but when the time comes to make train journeys again, Real Time Trains (https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/ also comes in a paid app on mobile) lets you know which platform your train is going from before they announce it (for most major stations, they don't tell you straight away and leave you in a foot-race with your fellow passengers when they do bell it over the PA). This lets you get there before the stampede.

Also, head towards the front of the train. Most people can't be arsed with the walk and any trains that do have first-class (when leaving London) will put those carriages closest to the barriers. Those towards the back fill up fast. I've been on trains leaving London stations that have the rearmost standard class carriage rafter-packed whilst the front has been virtually abandoned.
Being from Birmingham and avoiding the accent is quite the odd phenomenon.

User avatar
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:38 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Callum Todd » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:00 pm

c4c advice from a seasoned user of this forum:
Marc Meakin wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:08 am
Gevin's comments should be taken with a pinch of salt
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Marc Meakin » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:49 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:46 pm
Instead of snacking on unhealthy potato crisps, trying Yushoi. They're much healthier and actually taste quite nice. The "plain" flavour have 19.4 grams of protein per 100 grams, compared to 6.1 for Walkers plain. And they're baked rather than fried. I'm not going to pretend they're better than good crisps, but for a daily thing rather than a special treat, I think they work very well.
Just bought some yushoi.....will give my feedback in due course
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3572
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Ian Volante » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:12 pm

Matt Rutherford wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:48 am
Not so useful at the moment, but when the time comes to make train journeys again, Real Time Trains (https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/ also comes in a paid app on mobile) lets you know which platform your train is going from before they announce it (for most major stations, they don't tell you straight away and leave you in a foot-race with your fellow passengers when they do bell it over the PA). This lets you get there before the stampede.

Also, head towards the front of the train. Most people can't be arsed with the walk and any trains that do have first-class (when leaving London) will put those carriages closest to the barriers. Those towards the back fill up fast. I've been on trains leaving London stations that have the rearmost standard class carriage rafter-packed whilst the front has been virtually abandoned.
I do like some of the use that's been made of the open rail data. I did however one day find that one of the third-party apps didn't pick up an cancellations, which was a blimmin nuisance.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4055
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Marc Meakin » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:34 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:49 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:46 pm
Instead of snacking on unhealthy potato crisps, trying Yushoi. They're much healthier and actually taste quite nice. The "plain" flavour have 19.4 grams of protein per 100 grams, compared to 6.1 for Walkers plain. And they're baked rather than fried. I'm not going to pretend they're better than good crisps, but for a daily thing rather than a special treat, I think they work very well.
Just bought some yushoi.....will give my feedback in due course
Very nice.... Low calorie high protein .
Pea based snacks sounds a lot worse than what they tastes like
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests