Crisps

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

What's your flava, tell me what's your flava.

Ready Salted
17%
Cheese and Onion
17%
Salt and Vinegar
29%
Prawn Cocktail
No votes
Roast Chicken
4%
Turkey and Stuffing
4%
Smokey Bacon
8%
BBQ Rib
No votes
Worcester Sauce
13%
Steak and Onion
No votes
Tomato Ketchup
No votes
Something more exotic
8%
I don't like crisps
No votes

Total votes: 24

Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Crisps

Post by Jon O'Neill »

What's your favourite flavour of crisps?

We can discuss brands and sorts as well. My favourite sorts of crisps are:
- Crinkly Cheese and Onion Mini Cheddars
- Roast Beef Monster Munch
- Cheesey doritos

I'm not going to the bother of qualifying my poll options. If you don't like them, you can go and die.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Re: Crisps

Post by Marc Meakin »

Smiths crisps, Bovril flavour.
Golden wonder Ringos, cheese and onion flavour.
Cheese and tomato puffs, from when I was a kid. (not sure who made them, but they were delicious but messy to eat).
Oh I nearly forgot, Piglets and nice and spicy Nick Nacks.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Never heard of most of those, although it did remind me of Ready Salted Squares, now Walkers. But M&S do their own version in a big red bag for 49p, and they're even better. Bigger, crispier and saltier. They're fucking amazing. They're not in every M&S though, for some ridiculous reason.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Beef (or Flamin' Hot) Monster Munch are awesome.

Beef Hula Hoops.

Wheat Crunchies.

Square Crisps.

Chipsticks.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Some more............

Discos
Frazzles
Cheeselets (more morish than Heroin)
Salt and vinegar spirals
Burtons Chicken fingers (C 1970)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Good ol' cheese + onion, particularly McCoys. Honourable mentions to Walkers Builders breakfast and original mini cheddars.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Walker's Sensations Thai Sweet Chilli or, if I'm on a diet, Walker's Baked Mango & Chilli (although they are getting harder to find so I'm wondering if they're being discontinued).
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Seabrook Salt & Vinegar.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Seabrook Tomato Sauce, Spicy Monster Munch, Rib n Saucy Nik Naks (if they still exist).
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

[quote="Jon Corby"]Beef (or Flamin' Hot) Monster Munch are awesome.[quote]

Flamin' Hot ones are disgusting!

Quavers and Pom Bears are the shit.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Beef (or Flamin' Hot) Monster Munch are awesome.

Pom Bears are the blandest snack known to mankind!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Red doritos are pretty awesome, do they count? Or are 'tortilla chips' a separate entity?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon Corby wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:

Oh sorry, I didn't mean to type "the". :oops:
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Jon Corby wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:

That's their appeal. It's pure grub.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Michael Wallace wrote:Red doritos are pretty awesome, do they count? Or are 'tortilla chips' a separate entity?
This being my thread, I get to make the rules, and they're in. But the red ones are disgusting.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Red doritos are pretty awesome, do they count? Or are 'tortilla chips' a separate entity?
This being my thread, I get to make the rules, and they're in. But the red ones are disgusting.
The blue ones (Cool Original or something I think) are a pathetic excuse for a snack. Cheesy all the way.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I often find myself having an allergic reaction to certain crisps (well, they make me sneeze and give me a runny nose), but I've got no idea what it is in the crisps. This is annoying. I used to blame monosodium glutamate (always a good scapegoat) but further research led me to believe it gets a bad press and looking at ingredients lists, I'm not convinced by the correlation.

I think Frazzles are pretty good and I like Monster Munch (but they used to be better when they had a bacon flavour), but they are both on my out list unfortunately, but Kettle Chips don't affect me and some of their crisps are pretty good. I'd say salt and pepper Kettle Chips are probably my favourite.

Has anyone had the Walkers lime and coriander chutney sensations? They taste excellent but also make me feel a bit weird.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I often find myself having an allergic reaction to certain crisps (well, they make me sneeze and give me a runny nose), but I've got no idea what it is in the crisps. This is annoying. I used to blame monosodium glutamate (always a good scapegoat) but further research led me to believe it gets a bad press and looking at ingredients lists, I'm not convinced by the correlation.

I think Frazzles are pretty good and I like Monster Munch (but they used to be better when they had a bacon flavour), but they are both on my out list unfortunately, but Kettle Chips don't affect me and some of their crisps are pretty good. I'd say salt and pepper Kettle Chips are probably my favourite.

Has anyone had the Walkers lime and coriander chutney sensations? They taste excellent but also make me feel a bit weird.
Kettle Chips are brilliant. Salted ones are my favourite, in line with my above poll.

I've had them and they do taste nice, but like all the other Sensations, are too addictive. After about half a big bag they taste a bit nasty.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

I pretty much love all crisps. If I have a least favourite, it's Ready Salted, but they're still great. It's just that with food scienticians inventing all these really exciting flavouroids, I'd always choose a flavour over a not-flavour. And I suppose my favourite flavours are the really high-power ones; Tomato Sauce and Worcester Sauce are always good for this, no matter what the brand. I used to be able to get whole boxes of KP Worcester Sauce for about three quid but that's gone now - did KP get swallowed up by Walkers or something? Anyway, they don't seem to be available anymore.

Lately I've got quite into the awesomely sharp-tasting Highlander Salt & Vinegar (their Bacon & Brown Sauce and Tomato are also fantastic and very very reasonably-priced - I think cheapo freezer shops like Farmfoods or equivalent should have them) but overall Seabrooks make the best crisps, all theirs are great.

I also like maize and corn snacks like Space Raiders and Nik-Naks and Wheat Crunchies and all of the others ever invented. God, I could talk about crisps all day.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Love ready salted myself, but bein orish it's got to be

Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

JimBentley wrote:I pretty much love all crisps. If I have a least favourite, it's Ready Salted, but they're still great. It's just that with food scienticians inventing all these really exciting flavouroids, I'd always choose a flavour over a not-flavour. And I suppose my favourite flavours are the really high-power ones; Tomato Sauce and Worcester Sauce are always good for this, no matter what the brand. I used to be able to get whole boxes of KP Worcester Sauce for about three quid but that's gone now - did KP get swallowed up by Walkers or something? Anyway, they don't seem to be available anymore.

Lately I've got quite into the awesomely sharp-tasting Highlander Salt & Vinegar (their Bacon & Brown Sauce and Tomato are also fantastic and very very reasonably-priced - I think cheapo freezer shops like Farmfoods or equivalent should have them) but overall Seabrooks make the best crisps, all theirs are great.

I also like maize and corn snacks like Space Raiders and Nik-Naks and Wheat Crunchies and all of the others ever invented. God, I could talk about crisps all day.
I could listen all day, in my thread. Feel free to come back to my thread and continue talking about crisps.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Kettle Chips (and Doritos to an extent) are too crunchy. Nobody seems to agree with me on this point.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:but overall Seabrooks make the best crisps, all theirs are great.
I ordered a box from them once, with all their flavours in. Some are pretty good, but I wasn't a fan of all of them. The bacon ones were pretty good, but I tend not to like oniony ones, prawn cocktail and various other things. I seem to remember spring onion being pretty horrific.

I always like ready salted crisps and I think it gives a good platform to compare different brands on an equal footing. Seabrooks do well here, as do Kettle Chips (definitely not too crunchy!)
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Ian Volante wrote:Kettle Chips (and Doritos to an extent) are too crunchy. Nobody seems to agree with me on this point.
Some of the more expensive crisps can be a bit hardcore, it is true. I've lacerated my mouth on Kettle Chips before.

Also, I'm not sure about Doritos. They seem to fulfil all the general requirements of crisps, but I find them a bit cardboardy and unpleasant.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I don't think anyone's mentioned Pringles. That can only be a good sign.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

JimBentley wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:Kettle Chips (and Doritos to an extent) are too crunchy. Nobody seems to agree with me on this point.
Also, I'm not sure about Doritos. They seem to fulfil all the general requirements of crisps, but I find them a bit cardboardy and unpleasant.
Kettle chips qft. Try Doritos with melted choose, jalapenos, salsa and sour cream :D
Surely the *only* crisps:
Lowering the averages since 2009
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Gavin Chipper wrote:I don't think anyone's mentioned Pringles. That can only be a good sign.
We recently discovered chilli and lime pringles, which are pretty tasty as pringles go.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I don't think anyone's mentioned Pringles. That can only be a good sign.
We recently discovered chilli and lime pringles, which are pretty tasty as pringles go.
Pringles dipped in hummus works well.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ian Volante wrote:Pringles dipped in hummus works well.
Truesay, but isn't that the case with most tasty crisps?

Actually hmm, maybe not. Like, Sensations generally seem to go in hummus, but I can't imagine dunking some cheese and onion walkers.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Cheese and onion Squares

The lesser known Beef Discos

T-Bone Steak Roysters

Fish'n'chips

S+V Chipsticks
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Lesley Hines wrote:
JimBentley wrote:
Kettle chips qft. Try Doritos with melted choose, jalapenos, salsa and sour cream :D
Totally agree. Also try a bit of Reggae Reggae Sauce smothered chicken with it as well. You don't know what you're missing :o
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Lesley Hines wrote:
JimBentley wrote:
Totally agree. Also try a bit of Reggae Reggae Sauce smothered chicken with it as well. You don't know what you're missing :o
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Veering off topic, a mate of mine made me one of Levi Roots' own recipe starters recently, Chilli, Mango and Avocado with onion on a bed of lettuce. Yum.

To bring us back on topic, wotsits were always hard to find here when I was a kid so I went mad on em both times i was in England as a chizzler having been watching the ads for years. Tasty and somewhat a British cultural treasure

Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Jon O'Neill wrote:What's your favourite flavour of crisps?
Cheese & Onion. Always has been, always will be- the crisp of kings.
Jon O'Neill wrote:We can discuss brands and sorts as well. My favourite sorts of crisps are:
- Crinkly Cheese and Onion Mini Cheddars
- Roast Beef Monster Munch
- Cheesey doritos
These are also all gorgeous.

Little known fact: at the very least, up until a while ago every Quaver in the UK was produced at the Walkers factory on Newark Road in Lincoln. :D