1 vs. 100

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

1 vs. 100

Post by Martin Gardner »

Just a note to let you know that Series 47 champion Chris Wills is trying to win £130 000 on 1 vs. 100. He's already won Countdown, The Weakest Link, BrainTeaser and has appeared on Mastermind and 15-to-1 but didn't win either of those.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Re: 1 vs. 100

Post by Martin Gardner »

Oh bollocks we've got to wait until next week to find out now. I'm sure it's not recorded live (as if they're all going to go back to work for a week and come back next Saturday!) so come on Chris, what happens?

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I assume that Chris started playing right at the end of the show? How is he currently doing?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

No actually he was on second and eliminated everyone but one, and both of them got the last question right, so now he's only got to get rid of one player, but if he gets any question wrong he's automatically out.

Martin
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

aha! so *that's* why I thought I recognised him!

I don't understand 1 vs. 100 - what happens if the guy who's left beats Chris? Does he get the money?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Martin Gardner wrote:No actually he was on second and eliminated everyone but one, and both of them got the last question right, so now he's only got to get rid of one player, but if he gets any question wrong he's automatically out.

Martin
I can't believe I forgot that Chris was on. He mentioned it on Facebook and I normally read the status updates :oops:
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Gargh wish I'd seen this. Is there a repeat viewing, or where can I download it? Never seen this programme before so what side is it on? Will watch next Sat if I'm not working.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

dinos_the_chemist wrote:Gargh wish I'd seen this. Is there a repeat viewing, or where can I download it? Never seen this programme before so what side is it on? Will watch next Sat if I'm not working.
It was actually on BBC1, so it should be on iplayer.

EDIT: Watched it on iplayer and he didn't do too bad. When he found out he was the next contestant after Darren?, he could've been more excited about it :D.

EDIT 2: The best thing about watching it on iplayer is that you can easily skip all the lottery draws :D.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

From what I understand, the format of that show there is much different than it was here.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

spoiler...

ouch.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Like Chris, I would've gone for option 'A' as well. No idea though who JK and Joel are.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Don't know if anyone else carried on watching - but the welsh guy's last question was (along the lines of) "An hour of which of these sports burns the most calories? Rugby, Basketball or Tennis?"

Apparently the answer is rugby (the guy got it wrong, as did the remaining 3 of the 100), but it struck me as hilariously unfair, so obviously I had to come and rant at the internet about it...
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:Don't know if anyone else carried on watching - but the welsh guy's last question was (along the lines of) "An hour of which of these sports burns the most calories? Rugby, Basketball or Tennis?"

Apparently the answer is rugby (the guy got it wrong, as did the remaining 3 of the 100), but it struck me as hilariously unfair, so obviously I had to come and rant at the internet about it...
I didn't see Chris on there at all but I did just happened to flick over and catch that question too, and I also couldn't get past its absurdity. It's the kind of question I'd expect the SWP machine in the pub to spit out as you're nearing the £20 jp so it can fuck you off, not a primetime quiz show with thousands at stake.

Edit to add: An example of one such question from Friday's booze and quiz machine session: "How much did Jon Dahl Tomasson weigh at the start of the 2003/04 season?" with 3 answers all within a few pounds of each other. We amused ourselves with the image of Jon Dahl Tomasson playing the machine, and even him scratching his head going "wtf?"
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Michael Wallace wrote:Don't know if anyone else carried on watching - but the welsh guy's last question was (along the lines of) "An hour of which of these sports burns the most calories? Rugby, Basketball or Tennis?"

Yes when I did pub quizzes they used to do these sort of "subjective" questions. Basically if you pick three different sources, you might get three different answers. I can understand when it's a pub quiz because they don't want anyone to get all the questions right, so they choose something where they just have to guess, but on a nationally broadcast game show, pretty shoddy.

Martin
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

It kinda reminds me of the questions they had at the end of Shooting Stars.

"Name a junction on the M6"
"8"
"No, the answer was 4"

That sort of thing.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Tough luck, Chris!
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I noticed this week, one of the questions was "was does biannual mean?"

a) once every two years
b) every other year
c) twice a year

Well, don't a) and b) mean the same thing, and since they can't both be correct, they most both me wrong. And sure enough the answer was c). Does anyone disagree with me?

Martin
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

The possible answers to that question are absurd! On top of that dubious calorie-burning question, I think the question-setter should be sacked, and Chris Wills awarded a mass amount of money!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

On our version, some questions required the contestants to know inside trivia. If they did not, they were out of luck.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Martin Gardner wrote:I noticed this week, one of the questions was "was does biannual mean?"

a) once every two years
b) every other year
c) twice a year

Well, don't a) and b) mean the same thing, and since they can't both be correct, they most both me wrong. And sure enough the answer was c). Does anyone disagree with me?

Martin
A and B do mean the same thing, yes. I think the term is BIENNIAL which people might've confused with BIANNUAL, so I therefore think that this question was a very good one.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

What was the question that knocked Chris Wills out?
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

Something like...

In some radio show or other with "JK and Joel", what does the JK stand for?
a) James Kenneth (?)
b) Jason King
c) something else they specified beginning J K

Chris said that Jason King was a 70s fantasy TV programme so he would go for another answer, sadly Jason King was actually the answer.

I thought JK fronted Jamiroquai - he was the idiot who said science was evil and should be banned, rather overlooking the fact that if that happened he wouldn't be able to broadcast his mindless opinions and "music".

Jason King starred Peter Wyngarde and came to an abrupt end when the hero (depicted as a dashing ladies' man on the programme) was arrested for allegedly performing a cross hands boogie in a public toilet.

Kevin
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:I noticed this week, one of the questions was "was does biannual mean?"

a) once every two years
b) every other year
c) twice a year

Martin
A and B do mean the same thing, yes. I think the term is BIENNIAL which people might've confused with BIANNUAL, so I therefore think that this question was a very good one.
What I'm saying is that since A and B mean the same, they can't both be right. Therefore by process of elimination only C can be the correct answer, and it was.

Martin
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:

a) once every two years
b) every other year
c) twice a year

Martin
What I'm saying is that since A and B mean the same, they can't both be right. Therefore by process of elimination only C can be the correct answer, and it was.

Martin
Oh, I got what you meant, because A and B do mean the same (for the word BIENNIAL) which means that 'C' must be BIANNUAL, using the process of elimination.