Computer Problems & Solutions

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Computer Problems & Solutions

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I don't think there is a thread to do with any computer problems and how to solve them, but if there is, I apologise.

A few days ago, I posted in one of the spoiler threads, a picture of how Countdown looked on my TV and it was pixelated. Now this is because I have got a mediocre TV signal and from time to time I lose the signal and I have trouble watching TV programmes. Although this has not bothered me, the past few days my TV signal has started interfering with my computer monitor screen, where now whenever my TV screen flickers and pixelates my PC monitor screen also flickers.

I have done virus scans and I have unplugged my monitor from that power surger thingy I use and plugged it into a in-wall socket, but both of these have not stopped the flicking and I am not sure what to do.

Has anyone ever had the same problem or even just had a flicky monitor problem they resolved?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Computer Problems & Solutions

Post by Charlie Reams »

Sounds like electromagnetic interference, although I have no idea why that would start spontaneously. Try wrapping your monitor in tinfoil.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Re: Computer Problems & Solutions

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Charlie Reams wrote:Sounds like electromagnetic interference, although I have no idea why that would start spontaneously. Try wrapping your monitor in tinfoil.
I know now that the problem, with the TV, is that the freeview box I have is shit (its made by Sagem). I tried another box and the pictures were perfect and there was no problem with the signal at all.

I don't think the tin foil would make a difference. I have had this computer for a while (but not quite sure exatly how long) so it might just be the fact that the monitor is old and I may need to replace it. Luckily for now though, the flickering has stopped.