If I were to Americanize British game shows

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

If I were to Americanize British game shows

Post by Jason Larsen »

I have posted one of these, and not counting this one I will post two more over the course of three days. They will all be in this thread, at Charlie's request.

The second British game show is Mastermind.

You all know the way I go about this, so here goes:

Host: Bob Goen (He was the host of the US version of "Entertainment Tonight," as well as That's The Question, which incidentally, Sarah Cawood did in the UK on Challenge TV.) Ironically, the network that That's the Question was on in the US was GSN, which is our equivalent of Challenge TV. He is a nice, friendly man and he can enunciate quite clearly, which is perfect for this show.
Changes: Absolutely none. Have "Approaching Menace" by Neil Richardson as the theme song, and so on. As I have said before, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Network distribution: Syndicated, offered to all stations in mid-afternoon.

You can search Youtube if you'd like to find out more about Bob Goen.

This coming weekend, "If I were to Americanize A Question of Sport."
Last edited by Jason Larsen on Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: If I were to Americanize "Mastermind"

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jason, I've asked you several times now not to start any more topics. Please confine all your future posts on this subject to this topic.
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Post by Jennifer Turner »

Did you ever see the ESPN quiz show "2 Minute Drill"? It was loosely based on the Mastermind format, but very loosely. (There was a hint of "The $64,000 Question" about it too.) As you probably already know, Countdown's first and best Des, Mister Lynam, is doing a sports version in the UK later this year. I think the format will suit him, even if it does mean he has to travel to Manchester to record it!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Yes, I have seen "2-Minute Drill," Jennifer, and I think Des Lynam is more suited for "Sports Mastermind."
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Re: If I were to Americanize British game shows

Post by Jason Larsen »

Here we go with my next show, A Question of Sport.

Host: Joe Namath (He is an American football player who was in the running to host the American version of Family Fortunes when it was revived in 1988. He is a game show type, and I can't really see anyone else hosting this show.)
Network distribution: I could really see this on cable. ESPN, the American sports network to be exact.
Changes: Only one. The title is going to get a big fat "s" on the end of it because as Americans, we are used to saying "sports" and not "sport." So, the title will be A Question of Sports. The Specialized Subject, Home and Away, Mystery Personality, What Happens Next, One Minute Round and Picture Round will all be played in that order.

I could see such American athletes as Deion Sanders, Brett Favre and Martina Navratilova on this show. They're all retired, but famous names.

Coming later this week, "If I were to Americanize Mr. and Mrs."
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Jason Larsen wrote:The title is going to get a big fat "s" on the end of it because as Americans, we are used to saying "sports" and not "sport."
And yet you take the "s" off the end of maths. Weird.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

You must find that hard to get used to, don't you, Dinos?

At least John Barrowman got used to it.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Here we go with my next one, "Mr. and Mrs."

Hosts: Roger Lodge and Cindy Margolis (Roger has hosted Blind Date here in this country, which is a cross between what the UK calls Blind Date and Candid Camera. He was also the host of Camouflage, a hidden word game on GSN, (our equivalent of Challenge TV) which I know at least one of you have seen. Cindy is a model who played the voice of the female robot in the movie Austin Powers, International Man of Mystery, which I'm sure some of you has seen. There aren't too many American couples who are still together these days.
Announcer: Randy West (Besides being a contestant on such game shows as the US version of Blockbusters, he has also been a fairly new game show announcer. He's got the perfect voice for this show.)
Theme song: The same one we all know and love, this time performed by Carole King (Her biggest hit song, You've Got a Friend, was popular 30 years ago even in the UK. I think she can sing the Mr. and Mrs. theme song in key perfectly. It is going to sound more like the arrangement of the theme for the show in 1999 with Julian Clary, but with only one voice. Carole can do it! I know that for a fact because I'm sure those of you who have seen Gilmore Girls know that she can still sing!
Network distribution: Our American ABC station could easily pick this up. They've picked up a lot of relationship shows, so I bet they would say yes to this one.
Changes: Only one. The money tree for this show will be $25,000 for the first three questions and $50,000 for the fourth question, for a total of $150,000.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'm just bumping this thread up to let you all know about an idea that came to me just yesterday. This is how I would Americanize The Generation Game. You know the drill. Here goes:

Host: Robin Williams (He was on Happy Days, where he played Mork From Ork, an alien who came to Milwaukee, Wisconsin from a then-unknown planet Ork. I'm sure you have all seen Happy Days in the UK. Robin also played the voice of the genie in Aladdin, which I'm sure you have also all seen Aladdin in the UK. He is a very talented, funny man and I'm sure he can do a great job hosting this show.)
Network distribution: I'm sure that NBC, the same network that airs Deal or No Deal in our country, can pick up this show. Believe it or not, The Baby Borrowers was Americanized as a companion to Deal or No Deal. However, I would much rather see this show over The Baby Borrowers!
Changes: Instead of bringing out a celebrity to judge them on how well they do the stunt in the first round, a clock will be used. Whoever completes the stunt in the fastest time gets 100 points. A lot of celebrities today are too big of stars to appear on this show. The point system will stay with the families for the whole game. The quiz portion will be a speed round with questions worth 100 points each. An applause meter will determine the winner of the acting round. If a family can name all of the objects that come down the conveyor belt, in addition to winning the items they will win a bonus of $50,000. Make it a one-hour show. Allow kids to compete. After the first game, start the whole process over again with four new families.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Fuck me, I genuinely had no idea that Mork & Mindy was a Happy Days spinoff :o
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Oh, you saw Mork and Mindy in the UK, Jon, I didn't know that!

Honestly, I thought of you when I wrote that proposal for the US Generation Game!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jason Larsen wrote:Oh, you saw Mork and Mindy in the UK, Jon, I didn't know that!
Yeah, I've seen plenty of both Mork & Mindy and Happy Days, and I'm utterly positive that I've never known of the connection between the two. I'm a little freaked out by my ignorance of it to be honest, I'm wondering how I could have reached 33 without ever coming across this fact.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

That's right! As strange as it sounds, it's true!
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Jon Corby wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:Oh, you saw Mork and Mindy in the UK, Jon, I didn't know that!
Yeah, I've seen plenty of both Mork & Mindy and Happy Days, and I'm utterly positive that I've never known of the connection between the two. I'm a little freaked out by my ignorance of it to be honest, I'm wondering how I could have reached 33 without ever coming across this fact.
Mork and Mindy appeared in a couple of episodes of 'Happy Days' and were so popular a series was created for them. I am not sure if this counts as a "spin-off", but still, I am surprised you didn't remember the episodes Jonathan as you watched them sat on my knee when you were seventeen.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Yes, Chris, you're right, but I didn't know your son was that old when he watched Mork and Mindy!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Chris Corby wrote:Mork and Mindy appeared in a couple of episodes of 'Happy Days' and were so popular a series was created for them. I am not sure if this counts as a "spin-off",
Mindy too?! No way!

How can that not count as a spin-off though?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Mindy was not heard of on Happy Days, Jon.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Jon Corby wrote:Fuck me, I genuinely had no idea that Mork & Mindy was a Happy Days spinoff :o
It's quite a well-known thing. Next you'll be telling us you didn't know Laverne & Shirley was a Happy Days spin-off!

And yes, Jason, Mork & Mindy was quite the thing in this country for a while. I saw an episode once which featured a "Mr. Wanker". I think he owned a shop selling musical instruments and employed Mork for a day (with hilarious consequences, naturally). Well, actually it wasn't a vintage episode, just lots of Robin Williams pissing about with trombones and freaking out the squares with his zany alien ways, but...it had a character called Mr. Wanker! You crazy Yanks!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

jimbentley wrote:It's quite a well-known thing.
No it isn't! I've asked loads of people and nobody so far has known, and everyone has been equally surprised in a "what? but Happy Days didn't have bloody aliens and shit in?!" way.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

You all saw both Mork and Mindy and Laverne and Shirley in the UK? Wow!

I think Robin Williams would make a great host of The Generation Game! Who else thinks so?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Jon Corby wrote:
jimbentley wrote:It's quite a well-known thing.
No it isn't! I've asked loads of people and nobody so far has known, and everyone has been equally surprised in a "what? but Happy Days didn't have bloody aliens and shit in?!" way.
I'm surprised, I've seen it referenced all over the place (with Laverne and Shirley and Joannie Loves Chachi). The other thing that crops up a lot (in quiz questions, especially) is that Suzi Quatro played "Leather Tuscadero" (a rock star acquainted with the Fonz) in a few episodes. You just don't know enough pointless stuff.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

jimbentley wrote:I'm surprised, I've seen it referenced all over the place (with Laverne and Shirley and Joannie Loves Chachi). The other thing that crops up a lot (in quiz questions, especially) is that Suzi Quatro played "Leather Tuscadero" (a rock star acquainted with the Fonz) in a few episodes. You just don't know enough pointless stuff.
I do though, I do quizzes, we constantly play the quiz machine in the pub etc etc, it's exactly the kind of thing I (and people I've asked) should have known. It's really bizarre.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Just so we don't get back off track here, wouldn't it be appropriate if Robin and the families reenacted Aladdin in the acting round?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:I do though, I do quizzes, we constantly play the quiz machine in the pub etc etc, it's exactly the kind of thing I (and people I've asked) should have known. It's really bizarre.
Don't worry about it - this was your one missing fact and now you know everything.
Mike Brailsford
Acolyte

Post by Mike Brailsford »

Winconsin screams a need to create retro. 'Happy Days' (Milwaukee) was made in the 70s yet was set in the 50s. 'That 70s Show' (a fictional Point Place) was made in the 90s, but set in the 70s (really?!). I guess given a few years they will make a series based in 90s Wisconsin to carry on the tradition.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Do you like cheese, Mike?

Wisconsin is famous for their cheese!
Mike Brailsford
Acolyte

Post by Mike Brailsford »

I've never tried that type of cheese. My faves are Lancashire, Wensleydale and Cheddar with Marmite in. :D
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

mikebuk wrote:I've never tried that type of cheese. My faves are Lancashire, Wensleydale and Cheddar with Marmite in. :D
Although no-one has replied in it for quite sometime, we have a proper cheese thread here if you want to talk more about cheese :D. I think there are some links too, to sites where you can buy cheese :).
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Also, Wisconsin is known for their beer, although I don't know if Robin Williams is from Wisconsin.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I haven't done one of these in a long time, but this just came to me.

I know Martin Gardner is not going to like this.

If I were to Americanize... Golden Balls.

Host: Geraldo Rivera (Now, this is a very, very well-known name. He is best known for his own talk show in the UK. He is also known for the special in which he opened Al Capone's vault, which was the highest-rated special in international TV history. He has seen so many people lie on television, and that's why I think the man would be perfect for this show!)
Model: Shane Stirling (She was a former model on our version of The Price is Right until recently, when she was let go. Since she was let go from our version of The Price is Right, I think this would be a great job for her! I think you will all be happy to see what she looks like. Here is her picture:

Network distribution: Syndicated
Changes: Each eliminated contestant's balls are not binned, and no balls are binned whatsoever until the Bin or Win round. This allows the remaining two contestants to win more money. Increase the top prize to $100,000.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Jason Larsen wrote:Changes: Each eliminated contestant's balls are not binned, and no balls are binned whatsoever until the Bin or Win round. This allows the remaining two contestants to win more money. Increase the top prize to $100,000.
But then what would be the point of eliminating contestants, Jason? The aim of the game is to suss who has the best balls and keep them (and their balls) in the game
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Jim Bentley wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Fuck me, I genuinely had no idea that Mork & Mindy was a Happy Days spinoff :o
It's quite a well-known thing. Next you'll be telling us you didn't know Laverne & Shirley was a Happy Days spin-off!

And yes, Jason, Mork & Mindy was quite the thing in this country for a while. I saw an episode once which featured a "Mr. Wanker". I think he owned a shop selling musical instruments and employed Work for a day (with hilarious consequences, naturally). Well, actually it wasn't a vintage episode, just lots of Robin Williams pissing about with trombones and freaking out the squares with his zany alien ways, but...it had a character called Mr. Wanker! You crazy Yanks!
I was visiting a brother in Canada, and we were discussing the next day's outing. I asked my Sister-in-law to knock me up at six in the morning. The room went very quiet.

Apparrently, I had asked my Sister-in-law to jump into bed with me for uninhibited sex.
So when you are abroad in the states or Canada lads, be careful what you say.
On the other hand, you might get a suprise and be very lucky.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

George Jenkins wrote:I asked my Sister-in-law to knock me up at six in the morning. The room went very quiet.

Apparrently, I had asked my Sister-in-law to jump into bed with me for uninhibited sex.
I've been aware of that phrase being used in that way over here for as long as I've been old enough to know what it means.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

JimBentley wrote:

And yes, Jason, Mork & Mindy was quite the thing in this country for a while. I saw an episode once which featured a "Mr. Wanker". I think he owned a shop selling musical instruments and employed Mork for a day (with hilarious consequences, naturally). Well, actually it wasn't a vintage episode, just lots of Robin Williams pissing about with trombones and freaking out the squares with his zany alien ways, but...it had a character called Mr. Wanker! You crazy Yanks!
Speaking of fictional wankers, Peggy Bundy in Married... With Children had the maiden name Wanker, and originally came from Wanker County, Wisconsin. I hope that comes up on Eggheads tonight.
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

I'd find it amusing to see an American version of Golden Balls, just because I'm used to the host (is it Jasper Carrott? I'm not sure how you spell his name or even if that is his name!) and everything being British.
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Michael Wallace wrote:
George Jenkins wrote:I asked my Sister-in-law to knock me up at six in the morning. The room went very quiet.

I've been aware of that phrase being used in that way over here for as long as I've been old enough to know what it means.
Which proves how inocent I am of the facts of life.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Dinos, then the amount of money won would be more random and unpredictable. Then again, you never know what numbers are going to come up on a lottery machine.

Hannah, yes, the host's last name is spelled Carrott, with two R's and two T's (not like the vegetable. You may be too young to remember Geraldo Rivera's talk show, but I'm telling you, he would be perfect for that format!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

George Jenkins wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:

Which proves how inocent I am of the facts of life.
I thought it meant to get someone pregnant. Still not an ideal thing to say to a sister-in-law.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Jason Larsen wrote:Dinos, then the amount of money won would be more random and unpredictable. Then again, you never know what numbers are going to come up on a lottery machine.
Not really. I've only seen the show once (its that shit) but if you kept all the balls you'd keep all the killer balls as well so any money accumulated at the end would be swiftly decimated, and there'd be no strategy to the rest of the game. You might as well not have the first 45 minutes of the show and just say "Here's $? Vote off who you think is the most untrustworthy and then split or steal." Or am I right in thinking your American version may substitute this with some sort of style-over-substance jazzy song and dance with scantily clad ladies holding up round numbers?
Jason Larsen wrote:I think you will all be happy to see what she looks like. Here is her picture:

Wow what a penwoman!
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

Michael Wallace wrote:

Apparently, I had asked my Sister-in-law to jump into bed with me for uninhibited sex.
On the other hand, you might get a surprise and be very lucky.
When I was a young lad in 1945 I was a Locomotive fireman. The drivers would talk about the days before the war. Engine cleaners were used to go to the Drivers
houses to give them a "knock up". I assume that this was before the universal usage of alarm clocks. The cleaners were called knocker ups, and at that time most doors had real doorknockers.

The fact that the term has been hijacked does not alter the original meaning as far as I am concerned. Being old fashioned, I much prefer the term "being pregnant or with child" to being "knocked up".
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Dinos, there aren't that many killer balls in the game to begin with. If they aren't binned in either of the first two rounds of the game and placed back into the ball machine, the amount of money won would be more predictable. Geraldo would say, "Put your balls back into the ball machine" instead of "Bin your balls." Therefore, the amount of money won can change after the first round. That is to say it would be like the "Deal or No Deal" scenario in that, "you never know what the outcome will be."

And Shane is a very pretty lady!
Last edited by Jason Larsen on Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Jason Larsen wrote:............That is to say it would be like the "Deal or No Deal" scenario in that, "you never know what the outcome will be."
That's another programme where you could do away with the first 45 minutes.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

So, you would prefer Countdown over Deal or No Deal, Ian!
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Jason Larsen wrote:So, you would prefer Countdown over Deal or No Deal, Ian!
I most certainly do.
I watch Countdown at 10pm from disk so I never get tempted to even watch the beginning of D or ND (Assuming it's still on straight after).
I could never see the value in opening all those boxes when it's only the last one that matters!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:So, you would prefer Countdown over Deal or No Deal, Ian!
I most certainly do.
I watch Countdown at 10pm from disk so I never get tempted to even watch the beginning of D or ND (Assuming it's still on straight after).
I could never see the value in opening all those boxes when it's only the last one that matters!
Because it's not the only one that matters. It would be the only box that matters if the show was called "No Deal".
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Countdown is not a game of chance.

I'm not sure why too many executives don't think a format like Countdown would work in America!
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

and also good to play along with - testament these forums.

Maybe one of the reasons the Americans wouldn't get a long with it?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Wheel of Fortune has that same factor here in America, and it's been on for just as long as Countdown!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Here we go with another one of these!

This time, if I were to Americanize... "Take Your Pick."

Host: Dave Coulier (He is a stand-up comedian who played Joey Gladstone, the family friend of the family on the modern classic '80s sitcom, "Full House," which I'm sure you all have seen in the UK. He isn't exactly a boring, monotone person and I think he would be great for this format!)
Hostess: Shandi Finnessey (This young lady was Miss USA 5 years ago. She has written a few children's books, and was the most recent hostess on the US version of Lingo. She is very smart, and quite friendly too! If you want to know what she looks like, ask Joseph Bolas -- you'll be glad you did!)
Network distribution: ABC (This is the same network that broadcasts the US version of Supernanny, as well as Wanna Bet? (the US version of You Bet!, with Ant and Dec, believe it or not,) before it was canceled. They are now known for airing "silly" programming, so I bet they would say "yes" to this show!)
Changes: Absolutely none. Have the Yes/No Interlude, and fit as many people that they can possibly fit into the Take Your Pick round as they can into a half-hour. Use Des O'Connor's theme song.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Jason Larsen wrote:This time, if I were to Americanize... "Take Your Pick."
This was originally a radio show, Jason. If you put it on television it would slow it down far too much and make it boring (or more boring, depending on your point of view).

But if you are into radio game shows, try I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue: silliness for silliness' sake plus complete disregard for convention and political correctness. Not characteristics that I would expect to find in the US, probably not a format that sponsors would buy into, no doubt for the same reason Countdown never caught on: Your investors are way too wary of losing money overestimating the intelligence of their public.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:This time, if I were to Americanize... "Take Your Pick."
This was originally a radio show, Jason. If you put it on television it would slow it down far too much and make it boring (or more boring, depending on your point of view).
Where's Phil Reynolds when you need someone to be anally overpedantic over a post?
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Gary Male wrote:Where's Phil Reynolds when you need someone to be anally overpedantic over a post?
I can be way more pedantic than that, if that's what you're into!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Rosemary, if you've seen Full House, then you know Dave Coulier would be good enough to speed up the pace and therefore be great at the format.

Even though he is not like Des O'Connor for example, he can inject a little humor as part of his hosting style for this show without trying to be Des.

Just as long as he doesn't tell people to "cut it out" if they answer yes or no in the Yes/No Interlude.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Gary Male wrote:Where's Phil Reynolds when you need someone to be anally overpedantic over a post?
I think you'll find that "over-pedantic" is hyphenated.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
I think you'll find that "over-pedantic" is hyphenated.
Beautiful post! The true definition of "well, you asked for it".
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Why is there any need to be pedantic about this?

I happen to think that Take Your Pick would translate better to television than I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue!
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Phil Reynolds wrote:I think you'll find that "over-pedantic" is hyphenated.
:lol:
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Rosemary, I have every reason to believe I was telling the truth! The reason why they haven't Americanized Take Your Pick is very different from the reason why they haven't Americanized Countdown!
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:I think you'll find that "over-pedantic" is hyphenated.
:lol:
I wa's going to put some random apostrophe's in to see who'd bite there but thought better of it. I wasn't disappointed.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Once again, I wasn't trying to be pedantic!