Name for the next decade

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Name for the next decade

Post by Marc Meakin »

Now the noughties are coming to an end,what do you think is an apropriate name for the next decade.
The Aussies favour the one-ders.
I think the teenies sound more apt.
Over to you.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Name for the next decade

Post by Michael Wallace »

I don't like teenies because of 10 11 and 12. Hadn't heard one-ders before, that's awesome, and gets my vote.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Hobviously we need to ask some really, really old people what they called the 1910s as I'm sure they suffered this same dilemma to distinguish themselves from the dated, has-been technology and trends of the 1900s.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

The tens?
Andy Thomson
Acolyte

Post by Andy Thomson »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Hobviously we need to ask some really, really old people what they called the 1910s as I'm sure they suffered this same dilemma to distinguish themselves from the dated, has-been technology and trends of the 1900s.
I think they called several of them the Great War!

Seriously, I don't believe people would have engaged in anything like nicknaming decades back then. How about calling them something cool and snappy like the Second Decade of the 21st Century.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

My granny-in-law (born 1911) says they didn't waste their time with that sort of thing. The Roaring Twenties were named retrospectively. I like the tweenies, but it's the first time I'd heard one-ders too, and really liked it.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I used to discuss this with one of my grandmothers (b 1878) and her sister (b 1864). And they both said that there was no specific name in use for either the 1900s or the 1910s.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

The Oneders (pron. "wonders") was the original name of the fictional band The Wonders in the mid-90s Tom Hanks movie "That Thing You Do". The band changed their name because it was getting pronounced "the oh-needers".

The film is mainly notable for having the excellent Schlesinger and Collingwood (i.e. half of Fountains of Wayne) as writers of the eponymous one-hit wonder...
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

If that takes off i'll bitterly mock it every time i hear it used until i become conditioned and start using it. I reckon the tens will get us thru to 2013 when we'll switch to the teens.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

I never use "The Noughties". As a play on words, using it would feel like recycling someone else's joke. If I want to refer to the current decade, I call it...the current decade. I'll be able to do the same in the coming decade, but I will need a name for the decade just gone.

We could have more problems in 2020 since "The Twenties" is so strongly associated with the 1920s, but that may feel different if and when we get there.

Personally I'm far more concerned about how we pronounce the next calendar year. Thankfully, I have the impression that "twenty-ten" is going to win comfortably - but I don't suppose everyone agrees!

Sorry for trying to send the thread off at a tangent.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

I've already had communications planning for next year and described as TWENTY-TEN, ghastly!
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Clive Brooker wrote:I never use "The Noughties". As a play on words, using it would feel like recycling someone else's joke.
I thought of it before I'd heard anyone else use it, so I'm happy to continue using it. Anyway "teenies" is shit - simply "teens" is far more likely to catch on, although it still has the problem of 2010-2012. Or the "tens". Andy Wilson might be right.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Clive Brooker wrote:I never use "The Noughties". As a play on words, using it would feel like recycling someone else's joke.
I thought of it before I'd heard anyone else use it, so I'm happy to continue using it. Anyway "teenies" is shit - simply "teens" is far more likely to catch on, although it still has the problem of 2010-2012. Or the "tens". Andy Wilson might be right.
Ben Hunter wrote:The tens?
Ben was right first. I've always called the current decade the 2000s, so I'll probably call the next one the 2010s (if there could be confusion with the 1910s or 1810s) or just the tens (if not). "Teenies" and "one-ders" are really, really shit names and if either of those atrocities catches on I'll EAT MY HAT.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

JimBentley wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote:The tens?
Ben was right first. I've always called the current decade the 2000s, so I'll probably call the next one the 2010s (if there could be confusion with the 1910s or 1810s) or just the tens (if not). "Teenies" and "one-ders" are really, really shit names and if either of those atrocities catches on I'll EAT MY HAT.
I said Andy because he mentioned it might change to teens, but it might not, so you might be right that Ben was right first. Tens is probably fine. The thing about the 2000s is that it could be confused for the whole century.

Has anyone suggested oneties? ;)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

How about tenties
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote:How about tenties
Nah - tenty=100 so it doesn't work.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Actually Jim, 2010s sounds better by the minute.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Depends on whether you're hoping to use less syllables, as so many people like to do these days. 2010s is cool, but tens/teens is my guess for what goes. If one-ders wins out i will be annoyed by it until the inevitable conditioning, but i'll fight it all the way! Twenties Clive is not going to be an issue. It's hopefully not too much to ask that we clarify the decade to which we are referring if necessary!

As for next year, twenty-ten, two thousand and ten, again, depends on how much of a hurry you are in to say your piece!

I just hope that RTE don't pick up on this issue until the new years show presenter welcomes us into the next decade and becomes suddenly stuck for words! It's certainly something they'd be capable of!
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:I've already had communications planning for next year and described as TWENTY-TEN, ghastly!
Sounds just right to me. No different from describing the year 1990 as NINETEEN-NINETY.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Howard Somerset wrote:
Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:I've already had communications planning for next year and described as TWENTY-TEN, ghastly!
Sounds just right to me. No different from describing the year 1990 as NINETEEN-NINETY.
I assumed Ian was referring to written communications!
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

:idea: The Onesies?
Too twee, right?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Howard Somerset wrote:
Exactly. Everyone talks about the twenty-twelve Olympics, don't they? I agree with what Jim wrote about those other stupid names.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Jon Corby wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:
Exactly. Everyone talks about the twenty-twelve Olympics, don't they? I agree with what Jim wrote about those other stupid names.
If you're going to call next year "Twenty-ten" rather than "Two-thousand-and-ten", then shouldn't you also have been calling this year "Twenty-0-nine"? The great Newsnight reporter and annoyer of politicians, Michael Crick has always referred to all the years in this century so far in that way, but it stood out for these first few years because he was the only one doing it.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Derek Hazell wrote:If you're going to call next year "Twenty-ten" rather than "Two-thousand-and-ten", then shouldn't you also have been calling this year "Twenty-0-nine"? The great Newsnight reporter and annoyer of politicians, Michael Crick has always referred to all the years in this century so far in that way, but it stood out for these first few years because he was the only one doing it.
Meh, "twenty-oh" doesn't roll off the tongue very nicely though in the same way that "nineteen-oh" does. I guess it's the vowel sound at the end. Twenty-ten is fine. Twenty-eleven sounds a bit shit, but from twelve onwards you're back in business :)
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Jon Corby wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:If you're going to call next year "Twenty-ten" rather than "Two-thousand-and-ten", then shouldn't you also have been calling this year "Twenty-0-nine"? The great Newsnight reporter and annoyer of politicians, Michael Crick has always referred to all the years in this century so far in that way, but it stood out for these first few years because he was the only one doing it.
Meh, "twenty-oh" doesn't roll off the tongue very nicely though in the same way that "nineteen-oh" does. I guess it's the vowel sound at the end. Twenty-ten is fine. Twenty-eleven sounds a bit shit, but from twelve onwards you're back in business :)
Spot on. IMO two thousand and eleven is far worse than twenty eleven.

I would have preferred twenty oh-one etc., but it would have felt as though I was trying to hold back the tide. At least "The Year" has been universally dropped.

The fact that 2000-2009 will be the only years generally pronounced as "two thousand and..." suggests to me that "The 2000s" is a good name for the decade.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Clive Brooker wrote:
Howard Somerset wrote:
I assumed Ian was referring to written communications!
I was indeed referring to it being written. I can't say I remember seeing 1990 written as Nineteen Ninety, except for above!

Thinking about differentiating between the 20's of 1920-30 and those in 2020-30 how about calling them the 2-20's?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:Thinking about differentiating between the 20's of 1920-30 and those in 2020-30 how about calling them the 2-20's?
Surely you'd just refer to the 1920's as the 1920's once they were no longer the latest 20's? It's not like anyone thinks you're referring to the 1820's or 1720's when you say 20's now, is it?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I know this is going off at a tangent but If we are currently living in the second Elizabethan era, what will the next era be called?
I mean we have all heard of Victorian, Edwardian and Georgian but Charlesian. :!:
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Marc Meakin wrote:I know this is going off at a tangent but If we are currently living in the second Elizabethan era, what will the next era be called?
I mean we have all heard of Victorian, Edwardian and Georgian but Charlesian. :!:
I read somewhere that if Charles ever does become king, he will start using the name George VII. This is to disassociate himself with the fate of the previous two Charleses. Not sure how dubious this "factoid" is though.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Marc Meakin wrote:I know this is going off at a tangent but If we are currently living in the second Elizabethan era, what will the next era be called?
I think when (if) Chalres takes to the throne he will not be King Charles at all, I think I read somewhere he is likely to take on the name Harold (or was it Henry).
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Ha ha or was it George!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Actually, the correct term would be Caroline era, believe it or not. It won't catch on.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Liam Tiernan wrote:
Actually, the correct term would be Caroline era, believe it or not. It won't catch on.
I think it just might, given its comedic value. :P
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Derek Hazell wrote:
I read somewhere that if Charles ever does become king, he will start using the name George VII. This is to disassociate himself with the fate of the previous two Charleses. Not sure how dubious this "factoid" is though.
I'd also heard that he wanted to continue the George line. There's certainly plenty of precedence for kings taking names other than those by which they were known. Both of our most recent kings did such a thing, Prince David becoming Edward the eigth, and Prince Albert, George the sixth.

And back to the earlier question. Victorian and Edwardian were certainly the names given to the times of Victoria and Edward the seventh, but the times of Georges fifth and sixth were definitely not known as Georgian. Times don't always get named after the monarch. And even more strange than the possible Charlesian, how ugly would Williamian sound for possibly the next monarch but one? Fortunately, I'm unlikely to find out.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Seriously guys, a few days without Apterous and then he gets it back up again - very well done and everything but it's not going to make him fucking king is it?!!!
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Seriously guys, a few days without Apterous and then he gets it back up again - very well done and everything but it's not going to make him fucking king is it?!!!
Funny you should say that, cos I was going to suggest Reamsian. But as I've already nudged the pump that inflates his ego a couple of times in the last month or so, I thought better of it. :D
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Seriously guys, a few days without Apterous and then he gets it back up again - very well done and everything but it's not going to make him fucking king is it?!!!
lol, vg
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

From Piers Fletcher, chief question wrangler and producer of QI:

It's anyone's guest what we are going to call the next decade. It's not even clear how individual years will be pronounced: David Crystal, author of the Cambridge Enclyopedia of the English Language, predicts we'll say "two thousand and ten", but then switch to "twenty eleven" in 2011. A survey by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation found 60 per cent of Australians planned to say "the two thousand and tens"; the other 40 per cent preferred "the twenty tens". Take your pick.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

American news network site MSNBC says that the next decade should be called the "Terrible Teens" because of the failing economy.

(C-note: NBC is the same network that Americanized both Deal or No Deal and The Weakest Link and MSNBC is the name of their 24-hour news channel, partly owned by Microsoft.)