COME ON IRELAND!!!!

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

James Doohan
Enthusiast

COME ON IRELAND!!!!

Post by James Doohan »

Here's hoping Ireland can put one over on the French tonight, come you boys in green!!!!!!
JimBentley
Fanatic

Re: COME ON IRELAND!!!!

Post by JimBentley »

It would be nice if Ireland won, but I've put a fiver on the draw, so I'm looking for a grinding low quality 0-0 or similar.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

james doohan wrote:come you boys in green!!!!!!
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

C'mon Ireland.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

Keith Andrews will score tonight. I advise you all stake your mortgages on it.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

2-1 tonight. Whelan and Keane for Ireland with Henry for France.

0-0 in the return leg. South Africa is in sight.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

So, James started this thread and then Ireland lost. Coincidence?

Edit: If you come and read a COME ON IRELAND!!!! thread after the game finished and thought you wouldn't get spoilered, then you deserve it.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Michael Wallace wrote:So, James started this thread and then Ireland lost. Coincidence?

Edit: If you come and read a COME ON IRELAND!!!! thread after the game finished and thought you wouldn't get spoilered, then you deserve it.
Damn you to Hell and back.Was saving that match for later.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Liam Tiernan wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:So, James started this thread and then Ireland lost. Coincidence?

Seriously dude, what.
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Liam Tiernan wrote:

Seriously dude, what.
Had it saved on sky+ and was waiting 'til the kids bedtime. Forgot that the match would be over when I read that post.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Andrews didn't score but he did have a super game. Lawrence's chance in the first half was golden. Some lovely little neat passing early on. I knew they'd run out of gas. Can't see us going through now on Wednesday but you never know. Anyone know a good Irish pub near granada studios in Manchester?
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

Evil game. Wish I hadn't watched it.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

and with a perfect example of the very reason i have to hate the game, such a sweet day is turned sour.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Rugby technology needs to be brought in or the extra linesman thing. Henry likes basketball I hear, but come on, not so much that he'd put a team out of the World Cup. Keane, Duff, Lawrence, Dunne, Given and Andrews all had stormers. I am so annoyed. That's the best Irish performance I have seen. :(
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Eoin Monaghan wrote:Rugby technology needs to be brought in or the extra linesman thing. Henry likes basketball I hear, but come on, not so much that he'd put a team out of the World Cup. Keane, Duff, Lawrence, Dunne, Given and Andrews all had stormers. I am so annoyed. That's the best Irish performance I have seen. :(
Nah, video in football is bollocks. Get a goal-line sensor, fine, that's an instant decision. In rugby (well, league anyway, I don't know about union since they took up the idea), video decisions are almost always used on things that occur during a natural break in play, such as when a try is scored, or for a 40/20 kick. I've seen occasions where particularly difficult decisions can take three or four minutes and still not be certain, and the Aussies partly blame losing last year's World Cup final on a dodgy video ref decision. All it does it shift the controversy down the line a bit, there is still just as much debate (if not more) as there are many occasions where the crucial moment occurs between video frames, so it's down to a judgement of the video ref instead of the one on the pitch.

So, in a nutshell, this sort of thing in football would possibly increase the number contentious incidents while slowing the game hugely. No point.

EDIT: There is the obvious counter-argument that such occurrences as last night would be eliminated. Fine, but I think that 99% of the time, it would hinder the game, not help.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles