Movember

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Movember

Post by Matt Morrison »

How is there not a Movember thread already?

I would have thought a load of the guys here would be doing it. It's for man cancer so you're basically a shit if you don't.

I hate my chin, I've not failed to have it adorned with some kind of hair since the age of about 15. Apart from once I had a clean shave and couldn't leave the house cos I looked too fat.
So yeah, I'm doing the Mo with a bit of chin at the moment. A touch naughty, but bite me.

Come on everyone, get involved and get some pictures up here of your Mogress (think I just invented that one myself, I might sell it to them) (I mean give it to them to use).
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Re: Movember

Post by Derek Hazell »

Matt Morrison wrote:How is there not a Movember thread already?

I would have thought a load of the guys here would be doing it. It's for man cancer so you're basically a shit if you don't.
Thanks for clearing that up. I had thought Manuary was the month for men!
I hate my chin, I've not failed to have it adorned with some kind of hair since the age of about 15 . . . So yeah, I'm doing the Mo with a bit of chin at the moment.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a man who voluntarily sports a moustache with no accompanying beard is a dick. I have only ever grown them reluctantly for acting roles, when playing a character whose sole raison de théâtre is to be a dick, for the express purpose of signifying to the audience his dickness.

Exhibit A

I mean come on.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Haha. I love that picture of you Phil!

Seriously though guys - who's on board? I'm really gagging to see the following men moustachio'd up: Phil, Charlie, Corby, Dinos, Jono.
I need some support too cos I fucking hate looking like this, and I'm not gonna pull it off for a whole month unless you guys help me. No homo.

Yeuch.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:I'm really gagging
Funnily enough, that was also my reaction on seeing that photo.
I wrote:a man who voluntarily sports a moustache with no accompanying beard is a dick
And of course, in extreme cases, a Dick. (Although Dick Strawbridge's usefulness to society is probably affirmed by having sired the bed-wettingly gorgeous James; the phrase "too many pictures of James Strawbridge with his shirt off" probably belongs in the oxymoron thread.)
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Phil Reynolds wrote:James Strawbridge with his shirt off
Search result for 'James Strawbridge':

Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I have to keep myself fairly well trimmed around my lips otherwise the missus won't kiss me, and therefore anything further is a complete no-go. At school my nickname was 'Mickey Pearce' due to my rubbish wispy moustache, and I'm not convinced it would grow any better now some twenty years on. But what the hell, I'm in too. Although I am a little confused as to how me growing a bad moustache will help the WAR ON CANCER.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Alec Rivers wrote:Search result for 'James Strawbridge'
Yuck. A different James Strawbridge, you'll find. But I'm impressed that you scrolled far enough down Google's list of hits to find that one.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Alec Rivers wrote:Search result for 'James Strawbridge'
Yuck. A different James Strawbridge, you'll find. But I'm impressed that you scrolled far enough down Google's list of hits to find that one.
Nope, it was on the first page of image results.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Alec Rivers wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:I'm impressed that you scrolled far enough down Google's list of hits to find that one.
You say that like it contradicts what I said. :?
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

.Got it....

Mark Thomas
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Alec Rivers wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:I'm impressed that you scrolled far enough down Google's list of hits to find that one.
It does. You don't have to scroll to see the whole page of results.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:You don't have to scroll to see the whole page of results.
Yes I do.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:I have to keep myself fairly well trimmed around my lips otherwise the missus won't kiss me, and therefore anything further is a complete no-go. At school my nickname was 'Mickey Pearce' due to my rubbish wispy moustache, and I'm not convinced it would grow any better now some twenty years on. But what the hell, I'm in too. Although I am a little confused as to how me growing a bad moustache will help the WAR ON CANCER.
I'm pleased about this Jon, I truly am. I want to feel like I have a friend here. Being a hairy man, I'm used to gently ribbing my more wispy brothers, but I'll be showing you nothing but fellow man-based support.
I'm also pleased to be able to report that I can match your unenthusiastic missus with one of my own, so maybe if we haven't cured man cancer by the end of next week we can just agree to call it quits and please 'em.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:I'm also pleased to be able to report that I can match your unenthusiastic missus with one of my own, so maybe if we haven't cured man cancer by the end of next week we can just agree to call it quits and please 'em.
Ah, it's only superficial displeasure though. Inside, she's actually relieved that she doesn't have to come up with a better excuse than "your face is all rough" and can just go to sleep guilt-free.

Plus, I definitely have no chance of progressing beyond wispy "by the end of the week". I won't be posting any pictures for at least 2 weeks, as there definitely wouldn't be anything to see...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

It's just occurring to me how long this month is going to feel, yikes. At least no one will even know you're taking part until a couple of weeks' time Jon!
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

I'm doing my best but after 34 years of trying I still can't grow a beard... Still, great cause ;)
Lowering the averages since 2009
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Not what I heard, Lesley!

Oh. That wasn't for the forum was it. :oops:
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

:lol: Looking at your avatar you'll raise loads! :lol:
Lowering the averages since 2009
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Matt Morrison wrote:Phil, Charlie, Corby, Dinos, Jono.
As I recall from a conversation at COLEI, Dinos can't yet grow facial hair, and my efforts are crap. I think Countdown and testosterone don't really go hand-in-hand.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Alec Rivers wrote:
Not bragging, but my desktop spans three monitors. Here's the right-hand portion (1680x1050):

Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon O'Neill wrote:As I recall from a conversation at COLEI, Dinos can't yet grow facial hair, and my efforts are crap. I think Countdown and testosterone don't really go hand-in-hand.
Wrong!
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jon Corby wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:As I recall from a conversation at COLEI, Dinos can't yet grow facial hair, and my efforts are crap. I think Countdown and testosterone don't really go hand-in-hand.
Wrong!
Nice one Nancy 0 :lol:
Lyon 1 Liverpool 1 (sorry Matt)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

What does "Movember" mean anyway? If it's about growing moustaches, then surely a better rhyme could be made with "May".
Phil Makepeace
Acolyte

Post by Phil Makepeace »

Matt, I did the same as you last year insofar as chin not lip. This year's efforts aren't going so well, mainly because I'm a tit and forgot. This picture was taken about halfway through last Movember while I was attending a Pagan wedding. Take that, God. And cancer.

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Phil Makepeace wrote:Take that, God. And cancer.
This is as excellent a personal philosophy as any I've heard for, like, ever.
Awww. :)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Phil Makepeace wrote:Matt, I did the same as you last year insofar as chin not lip. This year's efforts aren't going so well, mainly because I'm a tit and forgot. This picture was taken about halfway through last Movember while I was attending a Pagan wedding. Take that, God. And cancer.
What, do you mean just chin, and no lip? Shock, horror! You cheat! I'm doing the tache thing, just not getting rid of my normal chinniness as I couldn't bear to.
I think half the joy is that you can't help but end up looking like an utter cock, I think it's supposed to bring us men together.

Love the pic though. And never too late to get that tache going, Phil!

Meanwhile, Day 8:
Mike Brailsford
Acolyte

Post by Mike Brailsford »

I feel I look too baby-faced without a tache and some kind of beard combo. I tend to alternate a goatee with the sort of thin all-round line beard we stockier guys have to take the edge off the look of a double chin. Sadly with the goatee I noticed that was going grey. Thankfully that has not risen to the top of my head yet !
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Whoops, I just forgot and shaved it all off. I even thought before I started that "I must remember to leave my 'tache", but autopilot kicked in and there it was. Or wasn't. I'll start again, but now I've got even less chance of growing anything vaguely resembling a moustache before the end of the month.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:Whoops, I just forgot and shaved it all off. I even thought before I started that "I must remember to leave my 'tache", but autopilot kicked in and there it was. Or wasn't. I'll start again, but now I've got even less chance of growing anything vaguely resembling a moustache before the end of the month.
Haha, excellent.... For me, girl tonight. So I may well no longer have a moustache tomorrow. Fuck cancer, cunnilingus for the win!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Whoops, I just forgot and shaved it all off. I even thought before I started that "I must remember to leave my 'tache", but autopilot kicked in and there it was. Or wasn't. I'll start again, but now I've got even less chance of growing anything vaguely resembling a moustache before the end of the month.
Haha, excellent.... For me, girl tonight. So I may well no longer have a moustache tomorrow. Fuck cancer, cunnilingus for the win!
*posts something about velcro before Marc Meakin does*
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jon Corby wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
*posts something about velcro before Marc Meakin does*
Damn I was going to post my Viz top tip for an instant moustache.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Not just your moustache needs to go then, mate, if you want the favour returning ;)
Fool's top.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:
Not just your moustache needs to go then, mate, if you want the favour returning ;)
Wait, hang on, herpes isn't in vogue any more? Who knew!
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote: Not just your moustache needs to go then, mate, if you want the favour returning ;)
Wait, hang on, herpes isn't in vogue any more? Who knew!
Oh, it'll enjoy a come-back soon. Chlamydia'll see to that. It's a nostalgia thing, in the same way Al-Qeada makes us hanker for the IRA.

However. This has nothing to do with Movember. Do you have a 'just-giving' site for sending you hard cash?
Fool's top.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Sue Sanders wrote:However. This has nothing to do with Movember. Do you have a 'just-giving' site for sending you hard cash?
Nah, I didn't even realise until a few days into the month that you could set up a profile on the Movember site to organise donations.
Instead, I just donated a bit of money to all of my friends who are also doing it. I'd like to say I'll double it tomorrow as punishment if I no longer have a tache, but I genuinely can't afford to :(
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

I am certain this was Picture 6 on the Crimewatch board a week or so ago...
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:However. This has nothing to do with Movember. Do you have a 'just-giving' site for sending you hard cash?
Nah, I didn't even realise until a few days into the month that you could set up a profile on the Movember site to organise donations.
Instead, I just donated a bit of money to all of my friends who are also doing it. I'd like to say I'll double it tomorrow as punishment if I no longer have a tache, but I genuinely can't afford to :(
I think tonight's victim of your cunnilingus advances can make a donation if you go for the shaving off option.
Fool's top.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

Well, these aren't from November, and they aren't specific moustaches, and they weren't grown in the name of cancer, but it seems that Mikey and myself have you all beat.

Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Just caught up with this thread. Kudos on the beard efforts everyone, especially Mikey :)
Jon O'Neill wrote:As I recall from a conversation at COLEI, Dinos can't yet grow facial hair.
You bastard :twisted: I told you that in confidence!

Seriously though my moustachio capabilities are more laughable than anyone's I've ever known. After a couple of days I might exhibit a tiny amount of twirly bumfluff that I get rid of straight away lest I be ridiculed. However just for kicks and in the name of Movember I shan't shave for a week and anyone attending the finals can see the (definite lack of) result. Man power! :)
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Matt has asked me to tell you all that he won't be talking much today, as he has a funny taste in his mouth.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Derek Hazell wrote:Matt has asked me to tell you all that he won't be talking much today, as he has a funny taste in his mouth.
Was she a clown by any chance.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:Matt has asked me to tell you all that he won't be talking much today, as he has a funny taste in his mouth.
Was she a clown by any chance.
No, just the pocket.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Seeing as Charlie's so quiet, and Matt said he would be away for a few days, perhaps they've gone away together on a moustache-pampering break for two.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Derek Hazell wrote:Seeing as Charlie's so quiet, and Matt said he would be away for a few days, perhaps they've gone away together on a moustache-pampering break for two.

Or, God forbid - Charlie (Charlotte at the weekends) is the 'lady' Matt's shaved his moustache off for.
Fool's top.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:Seeing as Charlie's so quiet, and Matt said he would be away for a few days, perhaps they've gone away together on a moustache-pampering break for two.
Or, God forbid - Charlie (Charlotte at the weekends) is the 'lady' Matt's shaved his moustache off for.
I do like you Sue, but you just made me choke on my tea. :|
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Derek Hazell wrote:Seeing as Charlie's so quiet
Cute that you noticed :) Have had the girlfriend staying since Friday and also I tipped wine into my keyboard, which prevented me from doing anything except Numbers Attacks (much to the benefit of my 6-smalling).
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:Have had the girlfriend staying since Friday and also I tipped wine into my keyboard, which prevented me from doing anything except Numbers Attacks (much to the benefit of my 6-smalling).
Sounds like the gf had a whale of a weekend. :roll:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Have had the girlfriend staying since Friday and also I tipped wine into my keyboard, which prevented me from doing anything except Numbers Attacks (much to the benefit of my 6-smalling).
Sounds like the gf had a whale of a weekend. :roll:
ITYM "wail", amirite?!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

At the request of the girl and aforementioned associated activities, I shaved my moustache off Tuesday lunchtime.
One of my granddads then died of cancer on Tuesday afternoon :(

However, I'd known both were pretty much inevitable since the month began, so don't think it was a nasty coincidence.
Though I probably won't bother trying to look like a twat all over again for the rest of the month. Or any November, ever, for that matter.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

If I had a nose like that I wouldn't underline it (aythengyow).
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Hope that wasn't permanent marker Kai.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Kai, you're a school boy with a marker pen and you haven't drawn a cartoon cock. Are you trying to fail, Laddiman?
Fool's top.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Why is everyone convinced it's marker pen?? lol
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Hope it's not the licorice stick from a sherbet fountain or -God forbid - Marmite :o or he'll grow up only ever being kissed by brides of Satan
Fool's top.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Really sorry to hear that Matt.
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

'Tis the last day of Movember, and I can't say I won't be sad to shave it off! Will upload picture later, for your amusement. Who knows, this may be a countdown competition I win (for a change). :)
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Bump.
How many are bothering this year ?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

A friend if mine is doing it so I was going to join him. I was trimming my beard into a hulk hogan style handlebar moustache but my beard is going grey. One side of the handlebar was much greyer than the other so it kinda looked like I only had one. Then I went to trim the handlebars off but I accidentally took too much off on one side so I couldn't get the balance right so I just shaved it all off.