Questions you've always wanted answered

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

JimBentley
Legend

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by JimBentley » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:58 pm

Yes, Marc is completely correct here, it's all down to the sense of balance. Walking on anything other than solid (unyielding) ground triggers the body to compensate (balance reflex). Walking on a beach with soft sand is similar. When walking on anything other than a solid surface, it's a natural reaction to put your arms out to spread your weight.

Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:19 pm

What are those tripod thingies with camera thingies with people in fluorescent jacket thingies manning them? Seems to be some sort of survey equipment but what is it used for? They've had them manned every morning for about a month next to a road I pass on my commute and I'm too scared to ask one of the fluorescent jacketers.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."

JimBentley
Legend

Post by JimBentley » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:44 pm

Adam Gillard wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:19 pm
What are those tripod thingies with camera thingies with people in fluorescent jacket thingies manning them? Seems to be some sort of survey equipment but what is it used for? They've had them manned every morning for about a month next to a road I pass on my commute and I'm too scared to ask one of the fluorescent jacketers.
They're doing surveying stuff (especially in built-up areas) for future building work, or more usually for roadworks. The camera/tripod combination is called a "total station" and it measure distances and angles as well as taking pictures. This is done with lasers and so can be accurate over quite long distances (as long as the equipment is calibrated correctly). Basically they're theodolites, but more versatile.

Mark Deeks
Kiloposter

Post by Mark Deeks » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:58 pm

Matt Morrison wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:49 pm
It's definitely a thing Mark. Ignore Gevin, who only ever leaves the comfort of his bed with running shoes on.

It's almost more related to the way you are trying to "creep" with your legs, and that typical learnt-it-from-the-TV exaggerated creep necessarily involves exaggerated arms too.

So a couple of nights ago I walked to the car to get something at stupid o'clock, and didn't think it needed shoes. But it turns out the road was a bit more painful than I thought, and I started the exaggerate arms thing. And then I realised I was doing it. So I tried to stop doing it. But I couldn't. Y'know? So is this learnt or is it actually functional?
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:32 am

Well, the trouble with trying to stop it is that you're naturally going to go to the other extreme I reckon - the one Marc mentioned, arms by your side and not moving at all, right? That's even less natural, our arms don't do that when we're doing a normal walk with normal shoes on normal ground without thinking about it. Trouble is it's not so easy to consciously force yourself to do something typically subconscious.

But yeah Jim has already done it I think in vaguely scientific terms - I don't think it's learnt in that it's probably a pretty natural feeling to do so (you could probably find similarities in the differing walks of animals) and from that I'd only assume it is actually functional (although "learnt" and "functional" are not necessarily mutually exclusive, there must be plenty of examples of reflex actions we take subconsciously that don't really help us).

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:06 am

After further reflection I'm wondering if it is an anticipation of danger/pain rather than a pure reflex reaction.
For example if Mark was going to his car in broad daylight and could see his path would he do the arms thing

I often go to Gran Canaria for a holiday and do a lot of walking and one of the ones that goes through los Paloma's involves walking about a mile over large pebbles and stones and I'm sure I didn't do the arms thing for the whole of that walk
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:46 am

I think you're right about both parts really - it's still a reflex action in response to the feel of the first footstep (that's another point we haven't discussed, I don't think the arms are ever likely to come out for balance until after step 1, right?). But yes it is also pain anticipation - but this anticipation is not (in this instance) from walking into objects you didn't know were there, more from the potential for the next footstep to be painful, in that respect the light/dark makes no difference really.

When I walk around in the proper dark (where I am not worried about the general state of the ground, but am conscious of treading on a thing) I tend to do more shuffly movements with the feet and hold my hands out in front of me to feel my way.

Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:13 am

Not sure if this belongs here or the dream thread but I genuinely had a dream last night where I was walking over gravel in my bare feet. It was slightly sore but manageable and I noted to myself in the dream that my arms weren't doing anything they wouldn't normally do and I wondered what the hell it was yis were talking about. I don't doubt that it's a thing really just that it's not something I've ever noticed.

Mark Deeks
Kiloposter

Post by Mark Deeks » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:32 pm

It wasn't dark, just to clarify. Street was lit up.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Sat May 05, 2018 11:16 am

Why can you get grape juice and raisins also come from grapes but no plum juice.
You get plums and dried ones are prunes.
Yet you can get prune juice.

Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante » Tue May 08, 2018 11:33 am

Marc Meakin wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:16 am
Why can you get grape juice and raisins also come from grapes but no plum juice.
What?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue May 08, 2018 12:22 pm

Ian Volante wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:33 am
Marc Meakin wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 11:16 am
What?
Let me elucidate.

Dried grapes are raisins (probably sultanas too )
You can buy grape juice from most supermarkets
Dried plums are prunes
You can buy Prune juice from most supermarkets
But not Plum juice.
Capice ?

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison » Tue May 08, 2018 12:29 pm

is it a branding thing because plum juice sounds like spunk

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue May 08, 2018 1:35 pm

Matt Morrison wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 12:29 pm
is it a branding thing because plum juice sounds like spunk
Nah if that was the case they would also change the name of natural yoghurt

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:24 pm

When people are videoing something on their phone, why do they invariably hold it upright, in portrait mode, even though that's rarely the optimal framing for the scene being recorded? In fact, people who do this probably belong in the "People you shouldn't trust" topic, with a special circle of hell reserved for those who start off shooting in portrait mode and then immediately turn the phone through 90 degrees so the rest of the video ends up sideways.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:15 pm

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:24 pm
When people are videoing something on their phone, why do they invariably hold it upright, in portrait mode, even though that's rarely the optimal framing for the scene being recorded? In fact, people who do this probably belong in the "People you shouldn't trust" topic, with a special circle of hell reserved for those who start off shooting in portrait mode and then immediately turn the phone through 90 degrees so the rest of the video ends up sideways.
I agree.

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:41 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:15 pm
Phil Reynolds wrote:
I agree.
Oh yeah.

Mark Deeks
Kiloposter

Post by Mark Deeks » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:33 pm

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Because it's easier to hold it one handed that way.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:07 pm

Mark Deeks wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:33 pm
Phil Reynolds wrote:
When people are videoing something on their phone, why do they invariably hold it upright
Because it's easier to hold it one handed that way.
And they say men can't multitask.