Questions you've always wanted answered

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1643
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Mark Deeks » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:47 am

Well, that too.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

Heather Styles
Rookie
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:29 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Heather Styles » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:59 am

Could it be because you lied when you were seventeen? That's only a guess, by the way, not an accusation.

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1643
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Mark Deeks » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:01 am

Might've done. You can't prove nothing.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7705
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:47 am


User avatar
Marc Meakin
Fanatic
Posts: 2784
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Marc Meakin » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:13 am

Clear
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1643
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Mark Deeks » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:53 pm

Of all the people who could strike, why do Tube workers strike so much more often?
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7705
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:13 pm

Mark Deeks wrote:Of all the people who could strike, why do Tube workers strike so much more often?
Where I used to work there were strikes but you wouldn't have heard about it because far fewer people were inconvenienced. So what you say might not be the case.

But it also shows that some people are in a much more privileged position than others when it comes to striking. There's a massive asymmetry because some people striking will always make people take notice and others won't.

And although this might seem to go against my "leftie" reputation, it does seem pretty arbitrary that people are allowed to not go to work and get away with it because there has been some vote among a group of these workers, but not in other cases.

Why is that any more legitimate than a smaller group of people doing the same but not part of some organisation or indeed one individual who might still have a legitimate grievance?

But I take your point that there are other strikes that make national news too and they seem to be less common. As for why - dunno.

User avatar
Euan Slatter
Acolyte
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:06 pm
Location: Portishead, NORTH SOMERSET

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Euan Slatter » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:02 pm

*DISCLAIMER STARTS* If i ever make it as a Tube Driver (likelihood = 1/100), i won't strike :) *DISCLAIMER OVER*
COUNTDOWN or THE TUBE? Which is better? There's only one way to find out....

Call it a draw :)

Robins Till I Die

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1643
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Mark Deeks » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:56 pm

You will if everyone else does. Also, without wishing to dampen your enthusiasm, it's not the profession to go into right now. T'will soon be obsolete.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

User avatar
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Posts: 1600
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:42 pm
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Adam Gillard » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:20 am

Why do people eat fruit-flavoured sweets?
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Fanatic
Posts: 2784
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Marc Meakin » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:40 am

Adam Gillard wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:20 am
Why do people eat fruit-flavoured sweets?
Because vegetable ones are disgusting
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7705
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:41 am

Why do people seem to know that sweets commonly aren't vegetarian (gelatine) but not that cheese often isn't (rennet)?

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7705
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:19 pm

Adam Gillard wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:20 am
Why do people eat fruit-flavoured sweets?
Why wouldn't they? They give nice flavours. There are other flavours too, like mint, aniseed, liquorice, violet, rhubarb & custard, and non-specific.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Fanatic
Posts: 2784
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Marc Meakin » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:52 pm

I think there is more of an a argument against fruit bars and real fruit jellies, as they are more harmful to teeth than chocolate
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Posts: 1600
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:42 pm
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Adam Gillard » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:07 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:40 am
Adam Gillard wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:20 am
Why do people eat fruit-flavoured sweets?
Because vegetable ones are disgusting
Hehe, good answer!
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."

User avatar
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Posts: 1600
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:42 pm
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Adam Gillard » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:09 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:19 pm
Adam Gillard wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:20 am
Why do people eat fruit-flavoured sweets?
Why wouldn't they? They give nice flavours. There are other flavours too, like mint, aniseed, liquorice, violet, rhubarb & custard, and non-specific.
Just because they don't really taste like fruit and fruit is better for you and probably cheaper, at least by weight. Having said that I might have missed the point that a sweet is an easy bite-sized treat and why wouldn't they have fruit-flavoured ones.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7705
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:49 pm

Adam Gillard wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:09 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:19 pm
Adam Gillard wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:20 am
Why do people eat fruit-flavoured sweets?
Why wouldn't they? They give nice flavours. There are other flavours too, like mint, aniseed, liquorice, violet, rhubarb & custard, and non-specific.
Just because they don't really taste like fruit and fruit is better for you and probably cheaper, at least by weight. Having said that I might have missed the point that a sweet is an easy bite-sized treat and why wouldn't they have fruit-flavoured ones.
I think you have missed the point. People decide to have sweets and then pick fruit flavoured ones. They don't decide to have something fruity and then pick sweets.

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1053
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Mark James » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:49 pm

Bradley Walsh apologised to Fanny Chmelar today for that hilarious episode of The Chase and it got me thinking does anyone know any English names which would cause a similar reaction on a foreign version?

Similarly I have always wondered, we often laugh at weird sounding place names in foreign countries but equally we have funny place names of our own. Does anyone know of any place names in other countries that the natives find funny but that someone who knew nothing of the language wouldn't get?

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Fanatic
Posts: 2784
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Marc Meakin » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:28 pm

Oxford Circus and Cambridge Circus used to confuse American tourists in my bus conductor days. Also pronunciation of place names like Plaistow being Plarstow and Bicester being Bister
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7184
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Matt Morrison » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:11 pm

Mark James wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:49 pm
Does anyone know of any place names in other countries that the natives find funny but that someone who knew nothing of the language wouldn't get?
Yes. This is a reminder for me to update tomorrow at work.

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3218
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Ian Volante » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:23 pm

Matt Morrison wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:11 pm
Mark James wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:49 pm
Does anyone know of any place names in other countries that the natives find funny but that someone who knew nothing of the language wouldn't get?
Yes. This is a reminder for me to update tomorrow at work.
Nudge.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7184
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Matt Morrison » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:54 pm

Fuck, forgot again. Might do it in a minute. Maybe Monday. Lucky I wrote that post. Thanks Ian.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7184
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Questions you've always wanted answered

Post by Matt Morrison » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:54 pm

The guy I wanted to speak to has gone home. Monday!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest