The balance between all of your moods

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

The balance between all of your moods

Post by Jason Larsen »

If you remember, quite a while ago I posted a message that stated that I don't always understand your senses of humor. I thought you were all very serene most of the time.

However, depending on certain things if there is a reason to get more excited you all do.

I get the feeling you are all trying to re-enact the acts on a prime time game show because of this.

Maybe I don't understand how friendly you all are and the bond that you all have in your likeness of Countdown.

Where is the balance between you all being serene and you all being silly.
M. George Quinn
Acolyte

Re: The balance between all of your moods

Post by M. George Quinn »

Bless you, Jason. I get the feeling that you see the world in a different way to most of us and seem to get quite confused about humour in general.

I don't think many on these boards get that excited about anything. You're proably best to read all posts in a smug but friendly monotone.

The trouble is that there are so many types of jokes, humour tends to be something instinctive rather than logical. I'm sure you can appreciate wordplay and puns but often wind ups or nonsensical remarks are funny due to their lack of logic. In a lot of jokes the humour is because the punchline or post shifts the perspective of how you originally percieved the conversation. There is also a lot of parody and satire here which is just a gentle take off or wind up of a certain person's style or character.

It has been said (by who I can't remember) that disecting a joke is like disecting a frog. By the end noone cares and the frog is dead.

However,if you would like to find out more about jokes and humour I would recommend these two books:

Getting the Joke by Oliver Double
and
The naked Jape by Jimmy Carr & Lucy Greeves

Hope this helps, buddy.

All the best,
George
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Re: The balance between all of your moods

Post by Jason Larsen »

I seem to be taking things a little too personally.

Maybe it's just UK humor that I don't understand.