getting nekkid

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

getting nekkid

Post by Sue Sanders »

Apropros to nothing, Mr Phil Reynolds -I cast an eye over yesterdays offerings and didn't get to the bottom of your 'getting nekkid'. I'm in Leamington Spa next weekend for the splendid annual event that is the Rockmill raft race. You could come and get nekkid there. You wouldn't be the first!!! Leamington is a sink of depravity - if you know where to look! :o

I know there was probably a more appropriate place to post this but I'm a girl - I really can't be bothered to make sense of this site!!
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Re: getting nekkid

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Don`t worry about where to post it Sue.
Phil has his own radar for this sort of thing.
He will find it I guarantee.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I'm looking forward to the spoiler being revealed - presumably "it's massive!" or "it's tiny!"
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Sue Sanders wrote:I'm in Leamington Spa next weekend for the splendid annual event that is the Rockmill raft race.
So why not come and see the show in the evening? In fact, if you're staying for two nights, you could see us one night and Brassed Off the other. They're two very similar shows thematically if you think about it; both feature unemployment, despair, hope, the rediscovery of dignity and self-worth, glorious live music - oh, and quite a bit of male nudity. What's not to like? ;)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Ralph Gillions wrote:Don`t worry about where to post it Sue.
Phil has his own radar for this sort of thing.
He will find it I guarantee.
The "View active topics" feature hardly constitutes radar.

PS if a moderator feels like moving this thread into the "Off-topic" forum, go right ahead. That's assuming you're not a girl and hence can be bothered (the two are connected according to Sue).
Last edited by Phil Reynolds on Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Thomson
Acolyte

Post by Andy Thomson »

Sue Sanders wrote: Leamington is a sink of depravity - if you know where to look! :o
!!
Really? Damn - the Missus and I were there just a few weeks ago. Obviously we didn;t know where to look!! :evil: Any chance of some pointers for our next visit? :twisted: :lol:
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Having returned to good old Essex last weekend, at the end of term, this begs the question: What on Earth has happened to Leamington since I left? :o
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Matt Morrison wrote:I'm looking forward to the spoiler being revealed - presumably "it's massive!" or "it's tiny!"
Or non existant and Phil is really a bearded lady?
Fool's top.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:I'm in Leamington Spa next weekend for the splendid annual event that is the Rockmill raft race.
So why not come and see the show in the evening? In fact, if you're staying for two nights, you could see us one night and Brassed Off the other. They're two very similar shows thematically if you think about it; both feature unemployment, despair, hope, the rediscovery of dignity and self-worth, glorious live music - oh, and quite a bit of male nudity. What's not to like? ;)
I'll be SERIOUSLY pissed on the Saturday evening. Are you doing the Friday night??
Fool's top.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Oh I would like to say - I've been absent from this site for a couple of weeks. I'm quite flattered that, only a few hours after dropping back in, I've been invited to see a fellow subscriber naked, and had encouragement from another to comment on his prowess! You're making Jeff's little lascivious drooling at Rachel seem quite amateur!! ;)

p.s you can correct my spelling in your own heads, thanks !! It's late and my OED is unstairs
Fool's top.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

UNSTAIRS - that's not gonna earn me any points is it?
Fool's top.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Sue Sanders wrote:UNSTAIRS - that's not gonna earn me any points is it?
Nah, it's unpossible.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Ian Volante wrote:
Nah, it's unpossible.
Ooh c'est un badger.
Fool's top.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:
Nah, it's unpossible.
Ooh c'est un badger.
Un bleu badger avec un allez-retour á Timbuktu!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Possibly the greatest enemy of amateur theatre: amateur theatre reviewers. I like how she begins by saying "before talking about the acting..." and then fails to mention the acting at all. Or the singing. Or the staging, or the production values, or the choreography, or... well, anything really, apart from the plot, which she could have copied off the press release. Why do local "journalists" have to write reviews like it's a school project?

Anyway, it's going well. Tonight in the finale we had women in the front row throwing condoms at us, which was... different. I love showbiz.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Lol Phil, sounds like fun.

I was off work this morning, and was flicking channels, and there were a lot of near-"nekkid" men dancing about on This Morning. Didn't catch what show they were from though.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Possibly the greatest enemy of amateur theatre: amateur theatre reviewers. I like how she begins by saying "before talking about the acting..." and then fails to mention the acting at all. Or the singing. Or the staging, or the production values, or the choreography, or... well, anything really, apart from the plot, which she could have copied off the press release. Why do local "journalists" have to write reviews like it's a school project?
Haha, that review was so bad (or, rather, so precisely as you described) that I had to comment to say so. So, er, there you go.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Possibly the greatest enemy of amateur theatre: amateur theatre reviewers. I like how she begins by saying "before talking about the acting..." and then fails to mention the acting at all. Or the singing. Or the staging, or the production values, or the choreography, or... well, anything really, apart from the plot, which she could have copied off the press release. Why do local "journalists" have to write reviews like it's a school project?
Well she is only an amateur theatre reviewer. You can't expect her to be as good as more professional theatre reviewers.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Possibly the greatest enemy of amateur theatre: amateur theatre reviewers.
Not the first one that I've read that gives the impression of the reviewer not having been there at all, Dave. I've played in a few where I'm sure that this has been the case. I'm sure that there have been one or two professional critics that have been found out for writing their reviews in absentia, but I can't find/recall it/them at the moment.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

To be fair, she hasn't tried to hide that fact:
As usual, clever and believable casting, humorous songs and some great directing by Stephen Duckham means the show has gone down a storm, prompting a standing ovation on the first night, I am told.
By the way, is there a setting so that when you click links it opens them in a new tab/window, without having to right-click? It really irks me.

(That looks really pathetic but it does annoy me)
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon Corby wrote:To be fair, she hasn't tried to hide that fact:
As usual, clever and believable casting, humorous songs and some great directing by Stephen Duckham means the show has gone down a storm, prompting a standing ovation on the first night, I am told.
By the way, is there a setting so that when you click links it opens them in a new tab/window, without having to right-click? It really irks me.

(That looks really pathetic but it does annoy me)
Just middle-click in Firefox instead of left-clicking.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:is there a setting so that when you click links it opens them in a new tab/window, without having to right-click? It really irks me.
Do you mean just for this forum? If so, there might be but Charlie doesn't approve of new-tab-links, so no.
Do you mean automatically for your whole browser? That would obviously be pretty horrible.
So you're left with CTRL-clicking links, or clicking with your middle mouse button (usually scroll wheel). Both these should open the link in a new background (i.e. not in focus) tab nice and quickly.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:is there a setting so that when you click links it opens them in a new tab/window, without having to right-click? It really irks me.
Do you mean just for this forum? If so, there might be but Charlie doesn't approve of new-tab-links, so no.
Do you mean automatically for your whole browser? That would obviously be pretty horrible.
So you're left with CTRL-clicking links, or clicking with your middle mouse button (usually scroll wheel). Both these should open the link in a new background (i.e. not in focus) tab nice and quickly.
You should do the lettering for comics.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:Do you mean just for this forum?
Yes. Often I'll follow a link and then go off on a little adventure, and then it irks me to have try and find my way back to where I was.
Matt Morrison wrote:Do you mean automatically for your whole browser? That would obviously be pretty horrible.
No. That would be horrible.
Matt Morrison wrote:So you're left with CTRL-clicking links, or clicking with your middle mouse button (usually scroll wheel). Both these should open the link in a new background (i.e. not in focus) tab nice and quickly.
Cool, I post from a laptop (on my lap, so no mouse) at home so there's no middle button there, but I didn't know about the Ctrl one, cheers Matt. I'd still prefer it if the default for the forum though was 'open in new tab' :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:I'd still prefer it if the default for the forum though was 'open in new tab' :)
Ain't never gonna happen bro.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:I'd still prefer it if the default for the forum though was 'open in new tab' :)
I was going to post that link in my original post, but I thought me telling Corby that it was definitely the case would have been enough :)
For what it's worth (= nothing), I'd like to see forum links (threads etc.) stay native, and links to external sites open in new tabs. The ultimate combo.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Brian Moore wrote:Not the first one that I've read that gives the impression of the reviewer not having been there at all
a standing ovation on the first night, I am told.
That doesn't imply that she didn't see the show, only that she wasn't there on the first night. In fact, she attended the fourth performance.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Brian Moore wrote:Not the first one that I've read that gives the impression of the reviewer not having been there at all
a standing ovation on the first night, I am told.
That doesn't imply that she didn't see the show, only that she wasn't there on the first night. In fact, she attended the fourth performance.
Yeah I know, it just seems an odd thing to put - do we assume that journalists have witnessed absolutely everything else they write first-hand?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Pff, some retard being confused by there being no back button isn't a good enough justification to me. A more sensible article would concede that there are no hard-and-fast rules that apply to all links, it's contextual. A link in a forum isn't normally intended as a redirection, usually it's providing some kind of reference material around which the post is written.
Matt might be onto something with his internal vs external, I haven't really mulled that over yet.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Jon Corby wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Do you mean just for this forum?
Yes. Often I'll follow a link and then go off on a little adventure, and then it irks me to have try and find my way back to where I was.
Matt Morrison wrote:Do you mean automatically for your whole browser? That would obviously be pretty horrible.
No. That would be horrible.
Matt Morrison wrote:So you're left with CTRL-clicking links, or clicking with your middle mouse button (usually scroll wheel). Both these should open the link in a new background (i.e. not in focus) tab nice and quickly.
Cool, I post from a laptop (on my lap, so no mouse) at home so there's no middle button there, but I didn't know about the Ctrl one, cheers Matt. I'd still prefer it if the default for the forum though was 'open in new tab' :)
Or (ignoring most of the preceding quotes) if you are using Firefox with the Tab Mix Plus add-on, you can just drag the link up to the tab area, and it opens a new tab.

Back to the reviews, I remember one of my favourite reviews from the perspective of the orchestra pit contained the line "There was an orchestra." Wow, that really put the reader right in the theatre. So vivid that you hardly had to be there. I think that the reviewer was hardly there either.

It is disappointing, given the immense amount of time, effort and skill that go into amateur productions, how often reviews of them simply give the plot, rather than review the individual performances and the actual production. If Phil and his fellow cast members have been having condoms thrown at them, they must have been outstanding.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Brian Moore wrote:If Phil and his fellow cast members have been having condoms thrown at them, they must have been outstanding.
Or at least upstanding.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Brian Moore wrote:It is disappointing, given the immense amount of time, effort and skill that go into amateur productions, how often reviews of them simply give the plot, rather than review the individual performances and the actual production.
Indeed, which is why the other company I belong to have decided to tackle the problem head on.
Charlie Reams wrote:
Brian Moore wrote:If Phil and his fellow cast members have been having condoms thrown at them, they must have been outstanding.
Or at least upstanding.
:lol: