Kingdom of Loathing

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Kingdom of Loathing

Post by Charlie Reams »

Anyone else here play Kingdom of Loathing? If not, you should.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Re: Kingdom of Loathing

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Charlie Reams wrote:Anyone else here play Kingdom of Loathing? If not, you should.
Not really a fan of online RPG games to be honest.

P.S. Your link doesn't work :P.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

I played it once because a load of people on a forum I frequented were obsessed with it. I thought it was crap.. Just a load of stupid stick images.. It left me baffled as to why it is so popular in the online community. It is one of those weird things like the TV show Lost, Mozilla Firefox and Sudoku, that, despite being pretty crap, people seem to get really obsessed with. I don't trust such things and would advise staying well away from them.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

The Real Richard Brittain wrote:It is one of those weird things like the TV show Lost, Mozilla Firefox and Sudoku, that, despite being pretty crap, people seem to get really obsessed with. I don't trust such things and would advise staying well away from them.
How can you not like Sudoku? If you don't like the original Sudoku, there are so many variations, the best being Killer Sudoku :D, but then I am a fan of Masyu, Akari and Shikakus too :?.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
The Real Richard Brittain wrote:It is one of those weird things like the TV show Lost, Mozilla Firefox and Sudoku, that, despite being pretty crap, people seem to get really obsessed with. I don't trust such things and would advise staying well away from them.
How can you not like Sudoku? If you don't like the original Sudoku, there are so many variations, the best being Killer Sudoku :D, but then I am a fan of Masyu, Akari and Shikakus too :?.
Sudoku's so fucking boring! I haven't gone out of my way to find these variations, but if they're variations on Sudoku, I imagine there's only so much potential in them.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Gevin-Gavin wrote:Sudoku's so fucking boring! I haven't gone out of my way to find these variations, but if they're variations on Sudoku, I imagine there's only so much potential in them.
Killer Sudoku is better than a normal Sudoku puzzle IMO as it focuses on maths as well as logic (especially if the totals in the grid are products).
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Ditto. I'm a sucker for most puzzles, but normal su doku sucks arse and I will only do the one in the Metro as a last resort to doing work. Knowing I like puzzles I've received endless su doku gifts including SHITEDOKU where you use the aforementioned letters instead of numbers, and this Christmas someone got me a su doku calendar. I couldn't stand the monotony of it, and after Jan 7th I threw it away. Someone also got me, (ahem Jennifer)...

...CAROL VORDERMAN'S electronic su doku which is an absolute con as each puzzle has multiple solutions.

Having said that some of the variations are much better, and I'll probably take a book of them to do on the plane to Tenerife this Friday.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Please don't do that. It's a game with one purpose: engaging your brain to kill time.

Read a book. You'll get a lot more from it.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Ginger Jono wrote:Please don't do that. It's a game with one purpose: engaging your brain to kill time.

Read a book. You'll get a lot more from it.
Book? What are they? The last one I finished was Harry Potter in Year 7. I always end up abandoning books half way thru. I'm a slow reader and they just don't keep my att....
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

dinos_the_chemist wrote:Having said that some of the variations are much better, and I'll probably take a book of them to do on the plane to Tenerife this Friday.
What about a Countdown book :P or get someone to set you some extra tough countdown puzzles to do on the plane :D.

EDIT: I have actually come across a book I did where I typed out every number from 101 - 999 and listed all factors for each number (except for prime numbers of course :lol:).
M. George Quinn
Acolyte

Post by M. George Quinn »

I don't know what KOL is. I tried the link so don't crucify me (hey, it's that time of year) for not trying. RE. sudoku: I think it has more potential than it seems, even the ones that the Times rates as "super fiendish tricky bollocks" aren't really taking it to the next level. I never need a pencil and I'm a nonochamp.

G
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

The correct link is here. If you like it then you probably have more of a sense of humour than Richard Brittain. If not then you probably still do.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

Jason Larsen appreciates my sense of humour.