Tastes in comedy

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Who do you find the funniest of the following comedians?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:46 am

Tommy Cooper
14%
Bob Monkhouse
3%
Roy "Chubby" Brown
3%
Jim Davidson
No votes
Joe Pasquale
No votes
Jethro
No votes
Jo Brand
No votes
Marcus Brigstocke
3%
Tim Vine
3%
Omid Djalili
6%
Michael McIntyre
6%
Jack Dee
3%
Al Murray
No votes
Dara O'Briain
6%
Peter Kay
6%
Ricky Gervais
3%
Lenny Henry
No votes
Stewart Lee
9%
Billy Connelly
9%
Jimmy Carr
3%
Alan Carr
3%
Johnny Vegas
No votes
Russell Brand
No votes
Ben Elton
6%
Lee Evans
3%
Ross Noble
No votes
Eddie Izzard
3%
Dr. Phil Hammond is funnier than any of them
9%
I love Gyles Brandreth more than any comedian, mainly because so many of this forum hate him
3%

Total votes: 35

Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Re: Tastes in comedy

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

Wot? No Stewart Francis? Disgrace. The man is absolutely hilarious. :D
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Jeffrey Burgin wrote:Wot? No Stewart Francis? Disgrace. The man is absolutely hilarious. :D
He is very good for Tim Vine-style humour, yes. But I had decided to just include British comics in this poll, otherwise it would have been so long it would have been off the screen.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

Derek Hazell wrote:He is very good for Tim Vine-style humour, yes. But I had decided to just include British comics in this poll, otherwise it would have been so long it would have been off the screen.
Ah fair enough. I'm quite partial to one-liners so will fly my comedy flag for Tim Vine instead, who I think is also great but possibly just edged by Francis. Michael McIntyre FTW as well.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Jeffrey Burgin wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:He is very good for Tim Vine-style humour, yes. But I had decided to just include British comics in this poll, otherwise it would have been so long it would have been off the screen.
Ah fair enough. I'm quite partial to one-liners so will fly my comedy flag for Tim Vine instead, who I think is also great but possibly just edged by Francis. Michael McIntyre FTW as well.
Yeah, I probably shouldn't have closed that poll. I could have left it open for newer people to vote too.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jeffrey Burgin wrote:Wot? No Stewart Francis? Disgrace. The man is absolutely hilarious. :D
I assume you mean the Canadian who has appeared on Mock the Week rather than the camp one of 'I could crush a grape' fame
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

Marc Meakin wrote: I assume you mean the Canadian who has appeared on Mock the Week rather than the camp one of 'I could crush a grape' fame
Yes, although I'm now intrigued as to who this grape-crushing Stewart Francis you speak of is.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jeffrey Burgin wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote: I assume you mean the Canadian who has appeared on Mock the Week rather than the camp one of 'I could crush a grape' fame
Yes, although I'm now intrigued as to who this grape-crushing Stewart Francis you speak of is.
He was generally known as Stu and used to host Crackerjack when I was a nipper.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon Corby wrote:
Jeffrey Burgin wrote:
He was generally known as Stu and used to host Crackerjack when I was a nipper.
That's the only one I heard of. I was wonder if this was a new definition of "comedy"...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Alec Rivers wrote:Yeah, Dylan Moran is by far my favourite — the man's an utter genius. The presumption I made about his absence from the poll is that nobody else would get any votes, thus rendering it a pointless exercise. But then that's just my opinion. :lol:
I've seen quite a few stand-ups live, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that Dylan Moran was the biggest disappointment by a long long way.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

The current trend seems to be for comedians to make fun of other comedians. In the recent 2nd series of The Kevin Bishop Show he extracted the michael from Michael McIntyre and David Mitchell. In Horne and Corden, James Corden impersonated Ricky Gervais, and was then made fun of himself also in The Kevin Bishop Show.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

I can't get past the ommissions in your list really, Dez mate - Daniel Kitson, Richard Herring, Phil Kaye, Micky Flanigan, Sarah Millican, Josie Long, John Gordillo, Sean Lock, Adam Bloom, Domonic Holland, Milton Jones, Mark Watson, Simon Evans, Rob Newman, Stephen Merchant is a cracking stand-up even though he's got a very short history of it, Jason Byrne, Ed Byrne (got a standing ovation in the small theatre I usher in earlier this year) Frankie Boyle, Jo Caufield.....

One thing I will say though - to add something to the debate - I went to a random comedy gig about 5 years ago and Russell Brand was on the bill. I only knew him as some pretty boy face on Big Brother's Little Brother so was well ready to be unimpressed. However, he proved to be outstandingly good - bloody good material, intelligent, thought provoking. Same with Rob Newman - real intellectual stuff.

.....Andy Zaltsman, Mark Thomas, Jeremy Hardy, Isy Suttie, Mark Steel, David O'Doherty, Alun Cochran, Lee Mack..........
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Sue Sanders wrote:Jason Byrne
Anyone remember when Jason Byrne was the guest in Dictionary Corner? He was so cringeworthily awful and unfunny that I had to totally fast-forward him out of each show. Oh god, it was horrendous. He's never been invited back for some reason.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Sue Sanders wrote:David O'Doherty
Yeah, he posts here a lot - a right comedian!

Edit: Oops no, misread sorry.