Charlie Brooker's Newswipe (Tuesdays @ 10.30pm, BBC4)

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Charlie Brooker's Newswipe (Tuesdays @ 10.30pm, BBC4)

Post by Matt Morrison »

Wow. So good to have him back on the box.
I really hope you all watched it as I can't think of one person who I even occasionally converse with on this forum who wouldn't enjoy Brooker's take on stuff.

Made me think of Corby and his animation when he did "totally unputdownable" :)

Oh, and Tim Key is a genius. The way he fuses poetry with performance is magnificent.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Charlie Brooker's Newswipe (Tuesdays @ 10.30pm, BBC4)

Post by Charlie Reams »

I don't like Charlie Brooker that much, his comedy always seems over-wrought like he's trying spectularly hard to wring every ounce of funniness out of each joke. But I loved Tim Key's slot on Mark Watson's show so maybe I'll give it a watch for that.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

I like his writing, and his newspaper columns usually contain at least one snortworthy line, but Screenwipe and his HIGNFY appearances have always left me a bit cold. I'll give Newswipe a try though.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Paul Howe wrote:I like his writing, and his newspaper columns usually contain at least one snortworthy line, but Screenwipe and his HIGNFY appearances have always left me a bit cold. I'll give Newswipe a try though.
On HIGNFY he's just a panelist, nothing amazing. Screenwipe (and Newswipe) he's the star and it works for him. I do agree with Charlie that sometimes he comes across as trying a bit hard (and tonight I thought putting on a bit of Chris Morris circa The Day Today), but the way he talks so frankly about the way TV production works in Screenwipe it wouldn't surprise me if he's forced to play up to it at times.

I really like the guy. I cried at the tribute he did to Oliver Postgate in the kid's TV episode at the end of the last series of Screenwipe.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I like Charlie Brooker on Screenwipe/Newswipe but sometimes I think he labours point too much (anyone seen Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle? - it was pointed out to me that they're quite similar in some respects) and there are bits when he just shows boring stuff for ages and keeps saying "Boring" over it. We know. Sometimes it looks like he's struggling to make half an hour.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

You Have Been Watching

Post by Derek Hazell »

So, did anyone watch the new Charlie Brooker show then?

I quite enjoyed it. It had a lot of elements of Screenwipe, with his analysis of current shows, but also comedy input, and a celebrity quiz show.

Incidently, I wasn't sure whether to put this in the this thread, the quiz show thread, the Stewart Lee thread (Richard Herring was a guest on it), the thread moaning about right-wing guests (Richard Herring turned up wearing a Hitler moustache), the thread moaning about Gyles Brandreth (he got several mentions), or any number of the threads which mention sex (Jamelia had about a foot of cleavage on display).
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Re: You Have Been Watching

Post by Marc Meakin »

Derek Hazell wrote:So, did anyone watch the new Charlie Brooker show then?

I quite enjoyed it. It had a lot of elements of Screenwipe, with his analysis of current shows, but also comedy input, and a celebrity quiz show.

Incidently, I wasn't sure whether to put this in the this thread, the quiz show thread, the Stewart Lee thread (Richard Herring was a guest on it), the thread moaning about right-wing guests (Richard Herring turned up wearing a Hitler moustache), the thread moaning about Gyles Brandreth (he got several mentions), or any number of the threads which mention sex (Jamelia had about a foot of cleavage on display).
Dont forget Ronnie Biggs favourite shows included Countdown
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Countdown itself also got a mention for being one of the two shows Ronnie Biggs loves to watch in prison.
It was alright, not classic Screenwipe-style Brooker, the canned laughter over the analysis-y bits was cringeworthy. Better than most similar shows though of course.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Did like the IRA V The Taliban bit
Soon to be on Sky I bet
sarah white

Re: Charlie Brooker's Newswipe (Tuesdays @ 10.30pm

Post by sarah white »

Just when i thought i couldn't love this site anymore.....

I am the only person in my circle of friends/family that watches charlie and likes tims poetry! Mark Watson on Radio 4 recently was sooo funny - 'listen again' service got some heavy use when that was still available!

Woo Hoo :-)
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

I find Charlie Brooker a bit hit-and-miss.
Some of his flights of fancy work fine, but others seem forced and endless.
I stopped watching tonight's quiz about 3/4 of the way through.
It was another programme where they gather a few comedy (?) performers together and hope for the best.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I was massively disappointed and gave up watching it. Other panel shows such as HIGNFY, 8/10 Cats and Mock the Week (new series starting tonight!) are far better.
Last edited by Gavin Chipper on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Marc Meakin wrote:Did like the IRA V The Taliban bit
Soon to be on Sky I bet
Who didn't like that IRA v Taliban bit. It was just amazing. Bombs and slingshots galore in a US car park. I hope this World's Deadliest show comes to the UK soon! :D
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

I always managed to miss Screenwipe but funnily enough, on the one episode I did catch, but wasn't paying much attention to (can't multitask), I looked up to see my breasts flashed on the screen - a clip from some long gone Trinny and Suzannah item about the British attitude towards their bodies. Charlie was very rude about the concept of the latest trend towards people getting their bits out on telly, but my tits looked great so what's not to like?
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Sue Sanders wrote:one episode I did catch, but wasn't paying much attention to (can't multitask)
I thought all women could multitask . . . another stereotype smashed courtesy of the C4C forums!
Last edited by Derek Hazell on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
kevin manthorpe
Rookie

Post by kevin manthorpe »

Cue Matthew Green...

or has he run out of screen wipes?
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:one episode I did catch, but wasn't paying much attention to (can't multitask)
I thought all women could multitask . . . another stereotype smashed courtesy of the C4C forums!
Hang on....you're surprised I can't multitask yet took it in your stride that I had my tits out on telly???????????????
Fool's top.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Sue Sanders wrote:

I always managed to miss Screenwipe but funnily enough, on the one episode I did catch, but wasn't paying much attention to (can't multitask), I looked up to see my breasts flashed on the screen - a clip from some long gone Trinny and Suzannah item about the British attitude towards their bodies. Charlie was very rude about the concept of the latest trend towards people getting their bits out on telly, but my tits looked great so what's not to like?
You might of added a link to youtube so we can judge for ourselves
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:

You might of added a link to youtube so we can judge for ourselves
Yeah, you'd think! I'm not being coy about it or owt, it's just, unless I can type 'my tits on Charlie Brooker' into a search engine and find a result, I'm not really of the inclination to start looking.
Fool's top.
kevin manthorpe
Rookie

Post by kevin manthorpe »

Can you believe the ITN funeral comparison??!! (Sadly, yes)

Michael Jackson 3, Princess Diana 1.

We wuz robbed!
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Josie Long on Charlie Brooker's telly quiz programme....Don't you just love her?
Fool's top.
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Why do they bother to get non-comic 'celebs' on? In one episode, they had Rufus Hound (funny), Josie Long (funny) and Jamelia (not). In this weeks, they had Frankie Boyle (funny), Josie again (funny) and Richard Bacon (better than Jamelia, but not so funny). Other than that, no complaints spring to mind at the moment, it's a good show.
Sue Sanders wrote:Josie Long on Charlie Brooker's telly quiz programme....Don't you just love her?
Yes. Next question?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

There was a northern bird on it t'other week called Sarah something or other who me and Emma saw a few months back at Sheffield Students Union comedy club. She was a riot that night but came across just a bit loopy on the show. Still we do mingle with the celebs :)
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:There was a northern bird on it t'other week called Sarah something or other who me and Emma saw a few months back at Sheffield Students Union comedy club. She was a riot that night but came across just a bit loopy on the show. Still we do mingle with the celebs :)
Might have been Sarah Millican - from the North East - does stuff about her divorce.
Fool's top.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Yeah that was her