Battle of the Brains

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Battle of the Brains

Post by Michael Wallace »

If you haven't seen this, you should try catching it at some point - it's a general knowledge quiz that would otherwise be entirely unremarkable but for the utter weirdness of how it's presented. It's hosted by Nicky Campbell (I have provided a link since I know the fact but not the name).

If you have seen it - is it just me that finds it odd? He comes across as trying to make it really exciting, and shouting a lot when it's entirely unnecessary, and clearly not planning his lines "Ok? Are you ready to do battle? Then prepare for battle!" (with weird emphasis). There's also a lot of examples of the team captains (who have to select a player for a particular round) will be asked "so, why have you picked Jim for this music round?" and, funnily enough, the answers are almost always "well, we think he knows a lot about music".

Oh oh, also - at the start of the show when they're doing the normal "Hi I'm Jane from Middlesex and I'm an accountant" (or whatever), they instead tell us something that was clearly yanked straight from the "tell us something interesting about yourself" question on the application form (I don't know that they ask that, I'm just presuming). So you get this weird mish-mash of stuff that's thoroughly uninteresting ("I'm a season-ticket holder at $club") and other stuff where it clearly requires more explanation, which is never given ("and I once had a very embarrassing trip to Somerset").

In short, could someone else who has seen this back up my finding it weird?

(and before anyone says "why watch it if it's so bad" it's actually quite a good show from the perspective of getting through a few questions, unlike most of what's on offer these days)
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Re: Battle of the Brains

Post by Paul Howe »

I agree, it's weird and not at all compelling. Which is a shame, as I'm in favour of more high brow quizzes on TV, but this one was really badly implemented.

You're still wrong (or rather only half correct) on the whole sandwich issue though.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Paul Howe wrote:I agree, it's weird and not at all compelling. Which is a shame, as I'm in favour of more high brow quizzes on TV, but this one was really badly implemented.
I'm glad it's not just me, then. One other thing I forget to mention was how it's a bit weird the way they try and call each round a "test of x". Such as calling a "take it in turns to name number Beatles songs" as a "test of wisdom" and their 'penalty shoot-out' style round as "a test of nerve". It just feels really forced.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Paul Howe wrote: You're still wrong (or rather only half correct) on the whole sandwich issue though.
The whole sandwich issue or the half a sandwich issue? ;)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Paul Howe wrote: You're still wrong (or rather only half correct) on the whole sandwich issue though.
I was about to say that :evil:
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
I'm quite pleased that bit of wordplay didn't go wholly unnoticed.

It's supposed to be a paradox because if you apply the half is the same as a whole logic to correctness, that would make Michael entirely correct, but incorrect at the same time, as you'd then have to accept that being halfly and wholly correct are different things. Probably.

I like paradoxes, they're a more refined form of nonsensicality (is that a word?), and I slip them into my writing whenever I can. Noone ever notices.
Simon Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Simon Myers »

Paul Howe wrote:Noone ever notices.
Another paradox, I presume?
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

I'm very surprised BotB has returned for a second series. It initially had a run of about 6 weeks (if memory serves) around Sep-Oct, and had a complete unknown but amusingly authoritative man as host. The questions were generally rock-hard, and the teams were hardcore quizzers. I've not watched a series 2 show through in full yet, but changes seem to be a well-known host, visible audience, and more casual-quizzer friendly questions. Does the "winning" team still have to answer 6 q's by 6 people in a row to win £1k?

I'm not sure on the weird front. I think the concept of a non-playing captain is novel in the show, but they try to make too much of it. It's part of a general trend that a quiz element alone isn't exciting, and that more is needed (even if it's clearly unnatural) to entertain the viewer. I enjoy inbetween round banter in TWL, the odd comment in Eggheads etc, but I don't think it works particularly well in BotB, but thankfully it's far from the cack drivelled daily in DoND. BotB could improve with time, and the format isn't bad.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

It is indeed a strange programme, one team beats the other team and is called "Britains Best" then doesn't come back the next day unless the captain correctly answers a question after they've already despatched the opposition.

Some of the rounds are weird too. A round on Transport and Technology yesterday, just a series of clues to identify a particular boat! (Mauritania)

As in most quizzes, the questions themselves can be good but the format needs addressing I think.

Nicky Campbell takes his time sometimes when speed is of the essence. Sometimes he asks contestants for their strengths and weaknesses which plays straight into the hands of the opposition.

More thought needed IMO
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Dan Vanniasingham wrote: and had a complete unknown but amusingly authoritative man as host.
Paddy O'Connell who sometimes presents the business news on BBC Breakfast.

Definitely better than Nicky Campbell - but I don't find the format compelling at all.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Yeah, I watched some of the first series too, and was also surprised it came back.

I think the bit at the end to win £1,000 is way too hard (and a bit of a poor idea). For one thing, if they get a question wrong with <40 second to go, they may as well not bother with the rest of the time. I thought two things they could do instead to make it more interesting:

1) Make it that you only have to get the "all team members get a question right in a row" with the team members who survived the final round (maybe modify the time a little bit so that it doesn't get silly, but still make it a lot easier to do with 1 person than with 6).

or

B) Just make it that each member of the team has to get a question right in the time (and drop the time a little bit).
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

I have just had a look at it, and yes I think it's weird.
Far too much build-up - minutes pass before the first question is asked.
Every answer seems to be met with flashing lights and a strident electronic chord. Irritating.
As in Deal or No Deal it could be over in a fraction of the time if they refrained from the fake (and failed) build up of tension.
It would be much more entertaining (to me at least) if they just sat at a desk and asked and answered questions, as in The Book Quiz, or even the BBC4 quiz Only Connect.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ralph Gillions wrote:Only Connect.
I quite enjoyed Only Connect, though frustratingly I missed the final so I have no idea who won. Not that I can remember the teams, or even that I care, but missing a final is always annoying.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ralph Gillions wrote:Only Connect.
I quite enjoyed Only Connect, though frustratingly I missed the final so I have no idea who won. Not that I can remember the teams, or even that I care, but missing a final is always annoying.
Sorry Matt. I missed the final too, so I don't know who won.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

I do, but I'll put it in funny colour in case you wish to someday watch it. The Crossworders triumphed (as they looked like they were going to all series, really). (or at least I thought it was - I think the beat the lapsed psychologists in the final, but now I'm beginning to doubt myself...)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Thanks Michael. Would have loved to watch it at the time, not so bothered now. Plus I doubt I'd ever got the opportunity to, something tells me it won't even get a second series, let alone a DVD release :)
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Matt Morrison wrote:Thanks Michael. Would have loved to watch it at the time, not so bothered now. Plus I doubt I'd ever got the opportunity to, something tells me it won't even get a second series, let alone a DVD release :)
Au contraire- applications for the second series of Only Connect were being invited right up until last Tuesday. I even e-mailed them to get a form before realising it may not be able due to Countdown appearances. But if a third series is made, watch out for me! :D In any event, it seems that there will be a 2nd series coming soon (IIRC, contestants had to be available for filming on 9-11th March in Cardiff, so hopefully it'll be back on our screens soon :) ).

And for the record, I also missed the final of the last series! :lol:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ah nice, cheers for the info Neil. You're becoming quite the quizzer, clearly! What would your 'hilarious' team name have been?
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Matt Morrison wrote:Ah nice, cheers for the info Neil. You're becoming quite the quizzer, clearly! What would your 'hilarious' team name have been?
Yeah, I've caught the bug :) We hadn't got as far as choosing a name yet, but there would've been 3 maths students, so you can come up with your own incredibly witty jokes. Anything like 'The Irrationals' is not allowed cos I already thought of it. ;)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Neil Zussman wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Ah nice, cheers for the info Neil. You're becoming quite the quizzer, clearly! What would your 'hilarious' team name have been?
Yeah, I've caught the bug :) We hadn't got as far as choosing a name yet, but there would've been 3 maths students, so you can come up with your own incredibly witty jokes. Anything like 'The Irrationals' is not allowed cos I already thought of it. ;)
The abSURDS?
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Neil Zussman wrote:
Personally, I don't see how you could beat "Team Zuss" or "The Zussinators".
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

"Fractions Speak Louder Than Surds"
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Only Connect is superb, hope it gets more popular exposure. Countdown legend David Stainer's team of crossword players won the grand final.

Good luck Neil, as a former Warwick maths student I'll be with you in spirit, and I'm stupendously jealous that you get to meet the lovely Victoria.
Jon Corby wrote:"Fractions Speak Louder Than Surds"
Excellent :D
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Paul Howe wrote:Only Connect is superb, hope it gets more popular exposure. Countdown legend David Stainer's team of crossword players won the grand final.

Good luck Neil, as a former Warwick maths student I'll be with you in spirit, and I'm stupendously jealous that you get to meet the lovely Victoria.
Just to clarify that I got an application form, but due to Countdown I won't be appearing in series 2, although I hope to apply for series 3, if that is commissioned.
Paul Howe wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:"Fractions Speak Louder Than Surds"
Excellent :D
That is pretty good :D
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

You can always just name yourself after your favourite group. I think I'd go for the Baby Monster group, mostly because you could have fun explaining it.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Re: Battle of the Brains/Only Connect

Post by Derek Hazell »

I know you like reading about quiz show experiences, especially as Neil and others may be appearing on this show, so I thought you might like to read this experience from people from my department of "Only Connect":

After triumphing at University Challenge: The Professionals, OULS quizzers were ready for another challenge. This came in the form of an application to the BBC Four quiz show Only Connect, a cross between a general knowledge quiz and a lateral thinking game. After racing through the application quiz, we were fairly confident that we at least wouldn't embarrass ourselves on national television, and proved that at the audition in London, a decidedly low-tech affair. (A laptop does a fairly good impression of a plasma screen, but the stapler doubling for a buzzer definitely required a greater leap of imagination.) The
questions were harder than the application, and watching the time tick away was very different to filling out a form in the basement of the Clarendon building. But it's amazing what you remember under pressure, and we passed the audition with flying colours.
The filming itself took place in Cardiff, and having spent the train journey practising with sample questions and cryptic crosswords, we felt up to the challenge. After we'd been talked through the rules for the eighth time, we were
put up against the Cambridge Quiz Society for the first round. The questions were definitely more difficult, and the pressure higher, although the crew and Victoria Coren were very good at making us feel comfortable.
As you will have seen by now, despite a valiant team effort and some displays of general knowledge that will live with us for a while (apparently knowing the names of the members of the A-Team is a noteworthy feat – I thought it was common knowledge!) we were pipped at the post, losing by just one point to the Cambridge team. While we were sorely disappointed, according to the production staff it was one of the most exciting programmes they'd seen. That's small comfort, but unfortunately all we're going to get.
Still. There's always next time…
Laura Cracknell
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Thanks for that Derek. Amusingly, the Librarians team was captained by the father of someone I knew from Cambridge, and then in the second show one of the mathematicians was my next door neighbour in first year there as well. This rather worrying trend only leads me to the conclusion that I'll be on next week.

(Spoilers: I won't)
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Michael Wallace wrote:Thanks for that Derek.
You're welcome Michael.
Michael Wallace wrote:Amusingly, the Librarians team was captained by the father of someone I knew from Cambridge
Ooh, I bet he keeps that quiet while working at the Oxford university library! :D Did you see him on Univeristy Challenge a couple of years ago as well?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Derek Hazell wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Amusingly, the Librarians team was captained by the father of someone I knew from Cambridge
Ooh, I bet he keeps that quiet while working at the Oxford university library! :D Did you see him on Univeristy Challenge a couple of years ago as well?
Unfortunately not - I didn't pay too much attention to that series (I presume since it was before the days of iPlayer), all I know about it is that the Royal Statistical Society did reasonably well (losing finalists?).
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Michael Wallace wrote:all I know about it is that the Royal Statistical Society did reasonably well (losing finalists?).
Yes, that's right. On that occasion the library team, also captained by Mike Heaney, won.