Bring back 15-to-1 and 100%

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Bring back 15-to-1 and 100%

Post by Jojo Apollo »

I'm getting a bit bored with Deal or No Deal.

15-to-1 was much better, loads of the great quizzers on there. I think they changed the instant nominate back, because of the intimidating Martin Riley (sp), anyone who nominated him, he would nominate them back straight away (after answering his question) in the first half of the show :lol: Also Eggheads Kevin and Daphne were regulars, CJ won one I think.

100%, no messing about with too much talk, straight into the 100 questions, good mental workout. They should have let the great Ian Lygo continue instead of cutting him off on 75 wins ( a more fitting cut-off would have been at the 100 wins) . Whatever became of him btw, expected to see him on Mastermind or something similar.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Bring back 15-to-1 and 100%

Post by Michael Wallace »

Yeah. So many 'quiz' shows now are nothing about questions and all about seeing how much time you can waste doing crap like talking about how you know the answer (although often that can be quite hilarious when the person then says stuff that is completely wrong). I think a good example is Take It Or Leave It - there are what, 15 questions and the show takes an hour? (I'm not too sure, I've only caught it a couple of times) Is it dumbing down? Do stupid people actually enjoy all that crap? Or is it just cheaper because you have to employ fewer researchers?
Roxanne
Rookie

Post by Roxanne »

In one of the breaks when Deal Or No Deal was off the air for a couple of months, there was a show that I think was called "Win My Wage", where the contestant was told what the wages of 8 people were, but not who had which wage, and after eliminating 5 players, if the contestant correctly guessed who had the highest wage of the remaining 3 they would win it. I've probably made it sound quite dull, but I found it really interesting as an example of how people evaluate others based on first impressions, like "you look like a mum so I think you might only work part time".
Anyway, I'd like that show to come back because I'm bored of DOND as well. At first it was funny watching people go "I've got a feeling, I'm sure it's a blue! I'm 150% certain it's a blue! ...oh, sorry...", but it's getting old.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Daphne and CJ are so awesome. So is Olav Bjorkman, what an absolute legend.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Jojo Apollo wrote:I'm getting a bit bored with Deal or No Deal.

15-to-1 was much better, loads of the great quizzers on there. I think they changed the instant nominate back, because of the intimidating Martin Riley (sp), anyone who nominated him, he would nominate them back straight away (after answering his question) in the first half of the show :lol: Also Eggheads Kevin and Daphne were regulars, CJ won one I think.

100%, no messing about with too much talk, straight into the 100 questions, good mental workout. They should have let the great Ian Lygo continue instead of cutting him off on 75 wins ( a more fitting cut-off would have been at the 100 wins) . Whatever became of him btw, expected to see him on Mastermind or something similar.
I think Ian changed his name to Francisco and went on Spanish Countdown. A lot of the questions on 100% were a bit obscure for my taste, would love to see 15-1 back on TV though.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Jojo Apollo wrote:
I'm getting a bit bored with Deal or No Deal.

I've been bored with it since it first came on.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Daniel O'Dowd
Acolyte

Post by Daniel O'Dowd »

Jimmy Gough wrote:Daphne and CJ are so awesome. So is Olav Bjorkman, what an absolute legend.
Olav Bjortomt. ;)

I agree 100% was awesome, though I particularly enjoyed the obscurity of questions. When I was 11 and older it helped me appreciate the wide range of trivia and knowledge out there, instead of stereotyping it all as ancient history and classical stuff which was more prevalent on other quizzes, such as the aforementioned 15-1. Though in the latter's case it made it all the sweeter when I could get an answer from home!
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Roxanne wrote:In one of the breaks when Deal Or No Deal was off the air for a couple of months, there was a show that I think was called "Win My Wage", where the contestant was told what the wages of 8 people were, but not who had which wage, and after eliminating 5 players, if the contestant correctly guessed who had the highest wage of the remaining 3 they would win it. I've probably made it sound quite dull, but I found it really interesting as an example of how people evaluate others based on first impressions, like "you look like a mum so I think you might only work part time".
Anyway, I'd like that show to come back because I'm bored of DOND as well. At first it was funny watching people go "I've got a feeling, I'm sure it's a blue! I'm 150% certain it's a blue! ...oh, sorry...", but it's getting old.
I agree - I was invited to go on Win My Wage by one of the reseachers from Eggheads and didn't fancy it, but I must admit I really enjoyed it when it came on air. Certainly miles better than DOND.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Daniel O'Dowd wrote:
Jimmy Gough wrote:Daphne and CJ are so awesome. So is Olav Bjorkman, what an absolute legend.
Olav Bjortomt. ;)
:oops: Thanks for the correction.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:
I've been bored with it since it first came on.
:lol: Well it was novelty thing at first also seeing Noel Edmonds back on the box minus the Telly Addicts jumpers.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

I used to love 15 to 1. IIRC the rights were owned by the quizmaster, so when he retired, that was it.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

15 to 1 was fantastic and a worthy companion to Countdown. I'll never forget this, couldn't believe it at the time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9vIGc9uPIQ

Not a huge fan of Eggheads tbh, a little too slowly paced. I think Kevin is great but CJ is a petulant, annoying twat. IMHO, of course.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:I'll never forget this, couldn't believe it at the time!

Wow, I remember seeing that. My favourite memory of that show is of some poor bloke getting the following question in round 1: "If a diadem is a crown, what is an anadem?" Clearly not having a clue, he shrugged his shoulders and said: "Half a crown?" As one of his three lives vanished with a ping, William G. Stewart left his spot mid-round to walk over to the guy - the only time I ever saw him do this - pointed at the extinguished green neon tube and said with heartfelt sympathy: "If it was within my power to make that light go back on again, I would."

(The answer, incidentally, is a laurel wreath.)
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:15 to 1 was fantastic and a worthy companion to Countdown. I'll never forget this, couldn't believe it at the time!

Awesome, what a legend. I knew that had happened, but hadn't seen that episode, so thanks for that link Junaid. He only came 2nd in the final though, according to http://www.quizplayers.com/w/QP:Bill_McKaig (well, I say 'only' but 2nd in the grand final of that quiz is still mightily impressive).
Another show that should be returned to the screens is 'Catchword', mainly because I can't remember what the format was and I'd like to find out! (All I can remember is there was one round where, given three letters, the contestants had to make the longest possible word containing those letters in order).
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Getting?
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Getting?
Yeah alright I admit I was bored of it after the first week. Being a newbie, just didn't want the DOND fans attacking me. ;)
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Jojo Apollo wrote:Yeah alright I admit I was bored of it after the first week.
I was bored with it after the first minute. I can't imagine how anybody could watch it, let alone play it.
Nor how anybody could compare it with a genuine quiz game such as 15-to-1 (whom God preserve).
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:
Jojo Apollo wrote:Yeah alright I admit I was bored of it after the first week.
I was bored with it after the first minute. I can't imagine how anybody could watch it, let alone play it.
Nor how anybody could compare it with a genuine quiz game such as 15-to-1 (whom God preserve).
I liked 15-to-1 too (or should that be two?).
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:I can't imagine how anybody could watch it, let alone play it.
Something tells me there's quite a difference between watching an inane gameshow on TV and getting the chance to win lots of money on an inane gameshow on TV.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Rosemary Roberts wrote:I can't imagine how anybody could watch it, let alone play it.
Something tells me there's quite a difference between watching an inane gameshow on TV and getting the chance to win lots of money on an inane gameshow on TV.
Yeah, I'd be well up for getting about £10k for a couple of weeks 'work' like that.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

IMO There's enough General Knowledge based shows already on TV that we don't actually need any more.

Reading up on 100% on UKGameshows.com and it turns out that CJ de Mooi won a DVD player on 100% Sex.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Joseph Bolas wrote:IMO There's enough General Knowledge based shows already on TV that we don't actually need any more.
I don't think there could ever be too many shows in which being able to actually do something is rewarded. Conversely, I don't need any shows at all that raise random selection to a skill and simulate excitement by pretending that people have any influence over chance events. Or that raise gain control over the limit and pretend that the random whisperings emerging are supernatural. But I digress.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:IMO There's enough General Knowledge based shows already on TV that we don't actually need any more.
I don't think there could ever be too many shows in which being able to actually do something is rewarded. Conversely, I don't need any shows at all that raise random selection to a skill and simulate excitement by pretending that people have any influence over chance events. Or that raise gain control over the limit and pretend that the random whisperings emerging are supernatural. But I digress.
Not to defend DonD, which is shite, but I do find it a bit tedious that, with the exception of Countdown, basically every game show on TV is just a general knowledge quiz dressed up with a different format. More recent shows which dared to be different (Brainteaser RIP) ended up getting cancelled.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Rosemary Roberts wrote:
Not to defend DonD, which is shite, but I do find it a bit tedious that, with the exception of Countdown, basically every game show on TV is just a general knowledge quiz dressed up with a different format. More recent shows which dared to be different (Brainteaser RIP) ended up getting cancelled.
A good non-GK based game show was Vorderman's Big Brain Game. It was a gameshow that focused on brainteasers and puzzles. Also what made that show good was that regardless of who won, both contestants could still walk way with money.

In the final round, the main-game winner would have to correctly solve 4 puzzles focusing on different parts of the brain, to get £10,000. If they couldn't solve one of them, they could turn to the losing contestant to help them out and if they used their answer, that contestant would then get £2,500 for every answer bought by the winner of the main game.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Joseph Bolas wrote:A good non-GK based game show was Vorderman's Big Brain Game. It was a gameshow that focused on brainteasers and puzzles. Also what made that show good was that regardless of who won, both contestants could still walk way with money.

In the final round, the main-game winner would have to correctly solve 4 puzzles focusing on different parts of the brain, to get £10,000. If they couldn't solve one of them, they could turn to the losing contestant to help them out and if they used their answer, that contestant would then get £2,500 for every answer bought by the winner of the main game.
That does sound an interesting format. I wouldn't rate everybody winning money so very highly, though it beats concentrating on humiliating the losers, which is what turns me off Weakest Link and Dumber than a Hamster.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Joseph Bolas wrote:In the final round, the main-game winner would have to correctly solve 4 puzzles focusing on different parts of the brain, to get £10,000. If they couldn't solve one of them, they could turn to the losing contestant to help them out and if they used their answer, that contestant would then get £2,500 for every answer bought by the winner of the main game.
I recall another show a bit like this called The Vault, but it was General Knowledge based and quite enjoyable. There were 7 prospective contestants I think. 3 would get to play the main game to answer questions against the time to win money (can't remember what it was up to, but it was Saturday night I think on ITV so possibly between 100K and a million) while the other 4 were panellists who you could "buy" help from, but the 4 panellists could undercut each other. Say for example the main contestant was on 20K and the next question was worth 50K, one panellist might offer to answer the question for 20K. Then another might say "18K guaranteed correct answer" I think it was presented by Davina McCall and then someone else but I cant remember who.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:In the final round, the main-game winner would have to correctly solve 4 puzzles focusing on different parts of the brain, to get £10,000. If they couldn't solve one of them, they could turn to the losing contestant to help them out and if they used their answer, that contestant would then get £2,500 for every answer bought by the winner of the main game.
I recall another show a bit like this called The Vault, but it was General Knowledge based and quite enjoyable. There were 7 prospective contestants I think. 3 would get to play the main game to answer questions against the time to win money (can't remember what it was up to, but it was Saturday night I think on ITV so possibly between 100K and a million) while the other 4 were panellists who you could "buy" help from, but the 4 panellists could undercut each other. Say for example the main contestant was on 20K and the next question was worth 50K, one panellist might offer to answer the question for 20K. Then another might say "18K guaranteed correct answer" I think it was presented by Davina McCall and then someone else but I cant remember who.
You were right, there were 7 contestants split up into 3 players and 4 brokers. It was also hosted by Davina McCall then Melanie Sykes and then Gabby Logan.

I think the should bring The Vault back. It's one of very few interesting general knowledge-based gameshows.