Forum Trollery

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Forum Trollery

Post by David O'Donnell »

Quite a few of us banter with each other and that's grand. I come from a country where slagging is de rigueur so I see no reason why I shouldn't export this fine mode of interaction to various forums I visit. Also, if someone gets too big for their boots I am certainly not averse to bringing them back down to Earth with a bump. However, when someone has been trying to be consistently nice, (and really trying to fit in), albeit in a horrendously misguided manner, I really think it's a step too far to respond with the merciless trollery that should really be reserved for the cognoscenti. I know I am as guilty as the next person (unless the next person is Corby) in this regard but I am feeling a little guilty now. If I am feeling a little guilty then I want at least one of you to feel likewise.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Re: Forum Trollery

Post by JimBentley »

Yeah, point taken, David. It's just that when someone repeatedly and consistently fails to get the joke, it becomes something of a spur to escalate it to an illogical and increasingly bizarre level. But you're right, I feel a bit bad about it now and will give it a rest.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I don't feel guilty - laughter is better than derision, which is my more natural response. But fair enough, I will try to ignore such invitations to silliness for a while.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Eh? What did I miss?

Charlie, your last post on that locked thread made me piss :)
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

David O'Donnell wrote:Quite a few of us banter with each other and that's grand. I come from a country where slagging is de rigueur so I see no reason why I shouldn't export this fine mode of interaction to various forums I visit. Also, if someone gets too big for their boots I am certainly not averse to bringing them back down to Earth with a bump. However, when someone has been trying to be consistently nice, (and really trying to fit in), albeit in a horrendously misguided manner, I really think it's a step too far to respond with the merciless trollery that should really be reserved for the cognoscenti. I know I am as guilty as the next person (unless the next person is Corby) in this regard but I am feeling a little guilty now. If I am feeling a little guilty then I want at least one of you to feel likewise.
Thanks David couldnt have put it any more articulate than that. A laugh's a laugh but sometims enough is enough.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

dinos_the_chemist wrote:Thanks David couldnt have put it any more articulate than that.
Evidently!
mackenzie

Post by mackenzie »

Corby wrote:Charlie, your last post on that locked thread made me piss :)
Hahaha same here!
Charlie Reams wrote:
dinos_the_chemist wrote:Thanks David couldnt have put it any more articulate than that.
Evidently!
lol...

But back to the topic - I agree with David. To continually take the piss when someone's not getting the joke for legitimate reasons (stupidity not being a legitimate reason) seems unfair and a bit cruel.
M. George Quinn
Acolyte

Post by M. George Quinn »

I agree with the big lad. Merciless trollery that should really be reserved for people who use words like cognoscenti.

After I stop laughing Corby and Jim disgust me.

Seriously though, I know what you mean, good point.

George
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

M. George Quinn wrote:I agree with the big lad. Merciless trollery that should really be reserved for people who use words like cognoscenti.
:D
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I'm sorry, I tried. Really I did.
M. George Quinn
Acolyte

Post by M. George Quinn »

Umm, (I don't like posting umm on a forum), I tried, but reacting feels more comfortable than beating my head with a breeze block. Umm.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

The volume of completely meaningless shit being posted by unnamed users shows no sign of diminishing, trolling or not, so we might as well have our fun and try to keep it to in Off-Topic.