The C4C Football Thread

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Re: The C4C Football Thread

Post by Andy Wilson »

Oh yeah, a mate was telling me John Giles was saying that Mourinhio may want to build a legacy somewhere and stay there for a long time now that he's pretty much won everything. Liverpool could be the place for this. Could you stick him for that long though? Another good point I've heard made is that he hasn't been anywhere lately without a decent sized purse and neither manu or pool would guarantee him this.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Question for Liverpool fans.
Do you want to win on Sunday?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Andy Wilson wrote:Oh yeah, a mate was telling me John Giles was saying that Mourinhio may want to build a legacy somewhere and stay there for a long time now that he's pretty much won everything. Liverpool could be the place for this. Could you stick him for that long though? Another good point I've heard made is that he hasn't been anywhere lately without a decent sized purse and neither manu or pool would guarantee him this.
I don't want Mourinho, he is a classless media whore. I think he's a great manager (although I point to Benitez's tactical masterclasses in '05 and '07 as evidence that Benitez is at least on a par with him tactically) and great entertainment, but I certainly wouldn't want him here. And as you say, he definitely wouldn't want to manage Liverpool with The Cunts in charge.
Marc Meakin wrote:Question for Liverpool fans.
Liverpool.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Andy Wilson wrote:Oh yeah, a mate was telling me John Giles was saying that Mourinhio may want to build a legacy somewhere and stay there for a long time now that he's pretty much won everything. Liverpool could be the place for this. Could you stick him for that long though? Another good point I've heard made is that he hasn't been anywhere lately without a decent sized purse and neither manu or pool would guarantee him this.
Citeh?
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Jon O'Neill wrote:I don't want Mourinho, he is a classless media whore. I think he's a great manager (although I point to Benitez's tactical masterclasses in '05 and '07 as evidence that Benitez is at least on a par with him tactically)
Oh lord. Benitez isn't fit to paint Jose's technical area.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Marc Meakin wrote: Citeh?
Obviously a strong possibility. However, would he be willing to trust a boss so easily inclined to sack the man in charge?

Re your comment Craig - I agree. Liverpool played some classy football in brief patches last night though before they got the first goal. As a football fan i enjoyed this.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Since everyone's been so excited about it! Another update on the c4c fantasy league! It's going down to the wire. With the Spurs/City game and Stoke/Fulham games still to count, the gap has already been closed to 17 points, with Martin making the most progress. Oli is only two points further back. With both the lads playing Tevez as their captain, should he have a good night on Wednesday, the boys will close the gap further. Matthew has him too, but not as captain. Considering i'm lying in fourth 150 points back, this is actually quite exciting and could be anyone's. If anyone fancies getting involved at http://fantasy.premierleague.com you should join up for next season. Would be cool if we could double the numbers. Can't remember the code for the league and am assuming the league will reset for next season, maybe Matt can advise on this, assuming you set it up sir.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Andy Wilson wrote:Since everyone's been so excited about it! Another update on the c4c fantasy league! It's going down to the wire. With the Spurs/City game and Stoke/Fulham games still to count, the gap has already been closed to 17 points, with Martin making the most progress. Oli is only two points further back. With both the lads playing Tevez as their captain, should he have a good night on Wednesday, the boys will close the gap further. Matthew has him too, but not as captain. Considering i'm lying in fourth 150 points back, this is actually quite exciting and could be anyone's. If anyone fancies getting involved at http://fantasy.premierleague.com you should join up for next season. Would be cool if we could double the numbers. Can't remember the code for the league and am assuming the league will reset for next season, maybe Matt can advise on this, assuming you set it up sir.
Sounds quite exciting, I might have a go next year.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Andy Wilson wrote:Since everyone's been so excited about it! Another update on the c4c fantasy league! It's going down to the wire. With the Spurs/City game and Stoke/Fulham games still to count, the gap has already been closed to 17 points, with Martin making the most progress. Oli is only two points further back. With both the lads playing Tevez as their captain, should he have a good night on Wednesday, the boys will close the gap further. Matthew has him too, but not as captain. Considering i'm lying in fourth 150 points back, this is actually quite exciting and could be anyone's. If anyone fancies getting involved at http://fantasy.premierleague.com you should join up for next season. Would be cool if we could double the numbers. Can't remember the code for the league and am assuming the league will reset for next season, maybe Matt can advise on this, assuming you set it up sir.
Sounds quite exciting, I might have a go next year.
Yeah same. I only paid enough attention to notice the c4c league late on the season, by which point it seems a bit unfair to storm in.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Steve Durney wrote:Although i'm not a huge fan of the weekly transfer thing, i've entered a team anyway!

Only 5 of us so far though. :shock: 11:30am is the shut off point for week 1.
I did advertise it!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Steve Durney wrote:I did advertise it!
Yeah, I think I even read that post at the time, I'm just really disorganised/forgetful :P
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Marc Meakin wrote:Question for Liverpool fans.
I have to say I didn't want us to win, no. I knew Liverpool-Chelsea was on on Sunday, and without checking the fixtures I spent the whole week foolishly just assuming that Sunderland-United was on Saturday. If that had have been so, I'd have been wanting Chelsea to match whatever United's result was, if United lost I'd definitely want Liverpool to win. So by the time I'd got the fixtures straight, I was hoping Chelsea would win. Watching the match was pretty weird though, don't ever want to have to do that again.
Andy Wilson wrote:Another update on the c4c fantasy league! It's going down to the wire. With the Spurs/City game and Stoke/Fulham games still to count, the gap has already been closed to 17 points.
Was in London and forgot to do my ruddy transfers. Stupid really at this stage of the season, not so much for the C4C league (sorry!) but I'm in a pretty properish one too that I run with £10 entry and it could be a costly error. I always mess up like this though, eek.
Andy Wilson wrote:Can't remember the code for the league and am assuming the league will reset for next season, maybe Matt can advise on this
http://fantasy.premierleague.com, code: 336517-73468. Be great to have a few more on like Jono and Michael.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Will there be a fantasy World Cup?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Marc Meakin wrote:Will there be a fantasy World Cup?
I am sure plenty of newspapers will run one, I doubt the official Premier League site would cover it, and I also think it's unlikely that FIFA would run an official one. Haven't Googled though, sorry.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Andy Wilson wrote:With both the lads playing Tevez as their captain, should he have a good night on Wednesday, the boys will close the gap further.
I'm also the only one with Johnson and Bale in my team, so if there are a lot of goals I'll be right up there. I'm kicking myself for leaving Robert Huth on the bench, though.

I think Yahoo run an official-ish fantasy league for the world cup, which works in a similar way to the Premier League one.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Marc Meakin wrote:Who should be Liverpool's new manager.
I like the O'Neill chatter.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Matt Morrison wrote:
I hope not otherwise I'd feel terribly conflicted.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Wigan to win 7-6
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Matt Morrison wrote:
I would like to, but I wouldn't want to work with the clowns who own the club.

O'Neill won't cut it at a big club.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

I am not a football fan, but can I ask a trivial question.
I notice that when a winning team celebrates these days they tend to bounce up and down on the spot.
When did this start? Who started it, and does it have a particular significance?
Thanks.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Ralph Gillions wrote:I am not a football fan, but can I ask a trivial question.
I notice that when a winning team celebrates these days they tend to bounce up and down on the spot.
When did this start? Who started it, and does it have a particular significance?
Thanks.
I think it originated in the World Trampolining Championships, but I'm not sure how it crossed to football. Maybe Tony Adams competed in both sports.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

For some reason I feel compelled to share with everyone the final standings of the Fantasy League.

1 Martin Bishop 2160 points
2 Matt Morrison 2156
3 Oliver Garner 2128
4 Andrew Wilson 2007
5 Steve Durney 1912
6 Jim Bentley 1783

... Ah, that's why.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Martin Bishop wrote:For some reason I feel compelled to share with everyone the final standings of the Fantasy League.

2 Matt Morrison 2156
3 Oliver Garner 2128
4 Andrew Wilson 2007
5 Steve Durney 1912
6 Jim Bentley 1783

... Ah, that's why.
Epic.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Martin Bishop wrote:For some reason I feel compelled to share with everyone the final standings of the Fantasy League.

2 Matt Morrison 2156
3 Oliver Garner 2128
4 Andrew Wilson 2007
5 Steve Durney 1912
6 Jim Bentley 1783

... Ah, that's why.
Awesome. The mini-league I was in finished with a 191 point gap at the top, which was kinda anticlimactic. Losing by 4 must be brutal.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

2 Matt Morrison 2156
3 Oliver Garner 2128
4 Andrew Wilson 2007
5 Steve Durney 1912
6 Jim Bentley 1783

... Ah, that's why.
In my defence i didn't bother making many transfers at the start, nor for the last few weeks either.

Congrats though Mr Bishop. Glad it was won by a Gooner! :D
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Kai Laddiman wrote:I think it originated in the World Trampolining Championships, but I'm not sure how it crossed to football. Maybe Tony Adams competed in both sports.
Thanks Kai.
In the absence of any other suggestions I am happy to accept your knowledge of the matter. Appreciated.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Thanks.
Maybe it's the natural evolution of the days when everyone used to just jump in the air once when somebody scored.

For example, in 1966..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 670911.stm

Utterly ridiculous.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

The Brazilian team in world cup 94 are the first one's i remember doing the in line formation celebration in front of their fans (i think?). I remember Romario and Bebeto used to cup their hands as if rocking a tiny baby or begging and sway them in motion. I suppose you'd want to run around a bit and go mad if you'd just won something, but they are confined to the section with the big ad in front of it for the sponsors, so I guess jumping up and down is the only option for a minute until they've served their advertising time.

Well done on pipping Matt to the post Martin and unlucky Matt and Ollie. Hopefully we can get into double figures for the next one numbers wise. I assume the league will remain as is and the same code applies to join?
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Oh, and good luck to Blackpool tonight!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Thanks.
David O'Donnell used to acclaim every winning round on Countdown with a similar bouncing celebration as I recall ;)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Surprised no one has posted already (shame on you Kai :) ) but congratulations to Chelsea for winning 'The Double'
Truly remarkable considering the injuries we had, (Essien out for most of the season) and the African Nations robbing us of players, this year aswell.

Lets hope England can win the world cup to cap the season off with 'Chelsea's 12th man' Steven Gerrard scoring the winner against Spain in the final.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Coughwellcoughdonecoughchelseaahemcough.

And to quickly change the subject...this is a brilliant parody of total eclipse of the heart by some leicster fan(s) inspired by Yann Kermorgant! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iad3gV-9C1U

If you haven't seen the subject's moment of madness in the play off semi final penalty shoot out, watch this first and flick to 3 mins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gdzhOnyyZE
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Andy Wilson wrote:And to quickly change the subject...this is a brilliant parody of total eclipse of the heart by some leicster fan(s) inspired by Yann Kermorgant! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iad3gV-9C1U
Hahaha, that was brilliant.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Andy Wilson wrote:And to quickly change the subject...this is a brilliant parody of total eclipse of the heart by some leicster fan(s) inspired by Yann Kermorgant! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iad3gV-9C1U
Hahaha, that was brilliant.
Haha yeah, a few people had posted that on Facebook and I'd been too lazy to bother. But I have just watched it and it was great. So thanks Andy and Michael for being reviewers I can rely on.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

You're welcome. Maybe you should check out this amazing movie too... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCj8sPCWfUw
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

This seems to be a much better way of celebrating than all that bobbing up and down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jECK5BIK ... r_embedded
Last edited by Ralph Gillions on Mon May 17, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ralph Gillions wrote:This seems to be a much better way of celebrating than all that bobbing up and down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jECK5BIK ... r_embedded
Well I thought he should have been pulled off at half time. :lol:
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Marc Meakin wrote:Surprised no one has posted already (shame on you Kai :) ) but congratulations to Chelsea for winning 'The Double'
Truly remarkable considering the injuries we had, (Essien out for most of the season) and the African Nations robbing us of players, this year aswell.
Truly remarkable? That a club whose reserves cost £20m can win the league? If Essien's injured, you've still got Ballack, Cole and Deco. Other clubs had injuries too - for example, Burnley lost Chris McCann for all but 6 games, not just half a season. And we had Joey Gudjonssen and Andre Bikey to replace him. If we'd stopped up, that would have been truly truly remarkable.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Marc Meakin wrote:Surprised no one has posted already (shame on you Kai :) ) but congratulations to Chelsea for winning 'The Double'
I don't support anyone anymore :|
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

David Roe wrote:
Truly remarkable? That a club whose reserves cost £20m can win the league? If Essien's injured, you've still got Ballack, Cole and Deco. Other clubs had injuries too - for example, Burnley lost Chris McCann for all but 6 games, not just half a season. And we had Joey Gudjonssen and Andre Bikey to replace him. If we'd stopped up, that would have been truly truly remarkable.
Money doesn't always buy you the league, Citeh, Liverpool and Spurs are proof of that.(they have all spent more than Chelsea in the last 2 seasons)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
I don't support anyone anymore :|
Sorry Kai, I wasn't aware of that.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Marc Meakin wrote:
David Roe wrote:
Money doesn't always buy you the league, Citeh, Liverpool and Spurs are proof of that.(they have all spent more than Chelsea in the last 2 seasons)
Citation needed re: Liverpool. Agree with your point though.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Marc Meakin wrote: Money doesn't always buy you the league, Citeh, Liverpool and Spurs are proof of that.(they have all spent more than Chelsea in the last 2 seasons)
Citation needed re: Liverpool. Agree with your point though.
I don't, it's like a fat person on benefits trying to pretend they're thin because they haven't eaten anything for a few hours. Or something.

Willing to be proved wrong, but I'd guess that Chelsea had comfortably the most expensively assembled squad and highest wage bill in the league this year. Congratulations to them, because they were deserving champions, but trying to pretend they're paupers is laughable.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Thought someone may have commented by now. Well done to Blackpool for achieving prem league status.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Thought someone may have commented by now. Well done to Blackpool for achieving prem league status.
Yeah, congrats to Blackpool and Ian Holloway. I bet a certain producer's feeling rather happy tonight!
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Steve Durney wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:Thought someone may have commented by now. Well done to Blackpool for achieving prem league status.
Yeah, congrats to Blackpool and Ian Holloway. I bet a certain producer's feeling rather happy tonight!
I reckon he won't be feeling much. Probably paralytic from over indulgence of beer.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Steve Durney wrote:
I reckon he won't be feeling much. Probably paralytic from over indulgence of beer.
Anybody know if he went to the game?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Steve Durney wrote:Anybody know if he went to the game?
The semi-coherent text I received from him yesterday suggested that he did. Congrats Blackpool, always love to see a team in the Prem for the first time.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Steve Durney wrote:Anybody know if he went to the game?
The semi-coherent text I received from him yesterday suggested that he did. Congrats Blackpool, always love to see a team in the Prem for the first time.
How long before Ollie is a guest in DC.
Btw, any chance of Damo coming back to the forum even under a pseudonym
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Putting my money on Maradonna's team to win the world cup.
Based on Blackpool winning promotion to the premiership.
There is a cryptic reason.
Maybe I should have put this in the puzzle threads.

Btw, does anyone else think that it's 'Sods Law' that someone is going to get injured in tonights friendly.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Marc Meakin wrote:Putting my money on Maradonna's team to win the world cup.
Argent being silver? Colours? I dunno. Tell the thick one.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Klew : nickname/anagram.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Marc Meakin wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
Klew : nickname/anagram.
Oh. Argentines=tangerines. Nice one. (I had to google Blackpool's nickname though!)
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I was thinking that ARGENTINE would be a good conundrum scramble but ARGENTINE is a word.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Just watched the end of that Japan game and saw Capello asked whether he knew at that moment who his 23 players would be, to which he said yes and then if he knew why he wouldn't say. Well, I assume he would rather tell the players that aren't going before the rest of the world. What a stupid thing to ask. Next question was straight into the issue over his England contract and whether he'd clear up speculation before the world cup (I assume it expires after it). Why must the media do their best to unsettle these guys. It drives me mad.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yeah they're a bit knobby.

So which 7 do you drop?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:So which 7 do you drop?
The worst ones, duh.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Warnock,Dawson,Parker,SWP,Walcott,Carrick and Bent.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

Huddlestone, Heskey, Warnock, Dawson, SWP, Barry, Johnson