The C4C Football Thread

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: The C4C Football Thread

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I'm curious as to what the thread's resident troll has got to say against him..
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Jon O'Neill wrote:I'm curious as to what the thread's resident troll has got to say against him..
100% loss rate, amirite?
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

I'm loving the Liverpool fans turning on their players, whilst still idolising the goateed buffoon who's created the situation you're in now. For a while I thought maybe their fans were something a bit better, there's something commendable about the way they've stood strong over things like The Sun. But the way they've treated Hodgson and the players is entirely pathetic.

The goateed buffoon is a short-termist manager who needs a good starting squad and people above him with significant wallets and tolerance to being whinged at. He is not a Mourinho, he's not in the same league. Goateed buffoon has knackered Torres. He ripped up the youth system and there isn't exactly a great deal of youth, bought or otherwise, coming through. There's no squad depth at all. And some of the better Liverpool players are past their best before date (Gerrard and Carragher for instance), whilst Mascherano had to leave. Yea of course it's all Roy's fault you're a mid-table side. Of course it's the first team XI's fault they're not full of vim and vigour every game because the reserves are so weak a rest very likely means defeat. The only thing I can see saving Liverpool from a sustained period of mediocrity is a lot of spending, because the reality is the club has been left in a pretty sorry state. They're a mid-table side who will only get worse without some immediate spending.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

The fans haven't turned on the players at all.. maybe the so-called Liverpool fans who phone into 606 or pop up in interviews on SSN have, but these are the same ones that read the Sun, chant Easy, Easy and think Andy Gray knows > nothing about anything, so I don't really count them.

Turned on Hodgson? Yes. He never really fit in with Liverpool. The day he compared (past-it) Carragher to Carlos Alberto, the day he let Fergie accuse Torres of taking a dive (ironic now) and get away scot free, the day he dared to speak out against the (in my opinion patient) support, amongst other black days under his reign, all contributed to his demise. And this is not to mention his performance in the transfer market and in his twenty or so matches.

Blaming it all on Benitez is a bit mad. Remember, 8 of the 11 who slaughtered RM 4-0 at Anfield a couple of years ago are still here, and we sent more players to the 2010 WC than any other club in the world. But for 4 or 5 years we have been basically starved of any real investment, and that is really starting to show now. If anything, it goes to show how much of an over-achievement coming 2nd in 2009 was.

But I've started to give a shit now as Kenny is back, I'm optimistic about Steve Clarke arriving and I've got a feeling Torres might be a bit more inclined to perform under a Liverpool hero. I think we might even win the title.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Liverpool still had a net spend in excess of £20m (according to the Times) in the 2007-2008 season. Including spends of £26.5m on Torres and £11.5m on Babel.

The relative small net spends were in the next two seasons, but still included some horrendous wastes of money. The goateed buffoon also let quite a few players go on a free transfer throughout his tenure.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

and his face got that little bit more red each season.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Fucking hell, Blackpool have done the double over them Image

KENNY OUT, SOUNESS IN
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

ROFLiverpool.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Blaming it all on Benitez is a bit mad. Remember, 8 of the 11 who slaughtered RM 4-0 at Anfield a couple of years ago are still here, and we sent more players to the 2010 WC than any other club in the world. But for 4 or 5 years we have been basically starved of any real investment, and that is really starting to show now. If anything, it goes to show how much of an over-achievement coming 2nd in 2009 was.
Oh, if only you could have afforded to sign Taylor-Fletcher and DJ Campbell. Or if you had Adams in the midfield instead of Gerrard. You might have been able to compete then. :lol: Is that the investment you had in mind?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

David Roe wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:Blaming it all on Benitez is a bit mad. Remember, 8 of the 11 who slaughtered RM 4-0 at Anfield a couple of years ago are still here, and we sent more players to the 2010 WC than any other club in the world. But for 4 or 5 years we have been basically starved of any real investment, and that is really starting to show now. If anything, it goes to show how much of an over-achievement coming 2nd in 2009 was.
Oh, if only you could have afforded to sign Taylor-Fletcher and DJ Campbell. Or if you had Adams in the midfield instead of Gerrard. You might have been able to compete then. :lol: Is that the investment you had in mind?
I was sad when we at the mighty Huddersfield had to sell Taylor-Fletcher. :( :cry:

But it was at a time when we needed the cash, rather than have it all willy-nilly.

Nice half a million we got though. 8-)
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

FANTASY POST OF BRAG
2,372nd this week. Almost halved my overall position. Woo hoo!
Sorry about that. Will now wait for Vidic, Nani, Berbatov, Rooney, Bent, Bale, Baines and Torres to score really highly to ruin it for me.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Ridiculous sending off there but after cheating the pool last week we deserve it. Having a total stinker on FF this week after playing the wildcard and all. Have 3 united and 2 spurs players, so expected a bit of an issue there. Will be better next week i hope.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

She did make an absolute howler of an offside decision in the first half, flagging when the ball was played back to Torres. I had no idea what she had flagged for. I did notice that Andy Gray made no comment whatsoever, it was just silence as if they'd turned the mics off.

Edit: BTW, that wasn't me saying "yeah see, they're right, stupid women can't run the line as they don't know offside" (as men often make mistakes too), just that it was noticeable that they made no comment about it (in fact I think Andy Gray laughed mockingly before it went quiet).
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon Corby wrote:She did make an absolute howler of an offside decision in the first half, flagging when the ball was played back to Torres.
This decision was just after the first goal wasn't it? (The one where Torres shot and it was tipped round the post by Hennessey). Given that the home crowd thought the first goal was offside (even though it wasn't), I guess she just felt under pressure to give a decision their way at this point.
Jon Corby wrote:I had no idea what she had flagged for. I did notice that Andy Gray made no comment whatsoever, it was just silence as if they'd turned the mics off.
I think the comments caught off-mic were before the game had kicked off and I don't think they would risk making comments like that during a game. Big Ron is the man whose best for that.

Anyway when I first heard the clip yesterday I couldn't help but laugh. I think the best comment is definitely the one about Karen Brady (the stupid bint). And for the record I agree with everything Richard Keys and Andy Gray said and think they should be canonised.

Edit: Btw, we can be brutal in this thread because no women are ever going to click on this thread anyway. Filthy whores.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ryan Taylor wrote:This decision was just after the first goal wasn't it? (The one where Torres shot and it was tipped round the post by Hennessey).
Not sure that's the one I'm thinking of, as the ball was right out on the left wing, and I think play was stopped before getting near the goal. But I can't be sure.
Ryan Taylor wrote:I think the comments caught off-mic were before the game had kicked off and I don't think they would risk making comments like that during a game. Big Ron is the man whose best for that.
Oh yeah I know, I wasn't suggesting that was when the comments were made - it was just kinda obvious that Andy Gray wanted to slate her but didn't/couldn't. I wouldn't be surprised if he did say something else off-mic then, but even if he didn't, his "dear, dear me" laugh obviously didn't need any further explanation.

BTW the comments weren't made on air or broadcast, so they can say what they fucking like in private to each other, can't they? I bet it was Brittain that leaked it.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Yeah, I'm one of Gray's biggest detractors, and indeed all of Sky Sports (apart from Stelling and Phil Thompson), but what they said wasn't even that bad. Well, it was a poor joke, but it was only the same joke thousands of people were probably making up and down the country. And there's absolutely no malice, unlike Big Ron's outburst.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Sorry, being lazy - can someone transcribe the joke as I can't be arsed to listen?

And Corby, I know precisely the bit you mean about the really odd offside decision. Thought it was mental at the time, but can't even remember now at what point in the game it happened, other than 1st half.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:Sorry, being lazy - can someone transcribe the joke as I can't be arsed to listen?
The main thing (as far as I can tell) is "Can you believe that? A female linesman. Women don’t know the offside rule.". Hardly a huge deal, but I don't really get the "it's the same joke 1000s of people were making up and down the country" line - that makes it more acceptable to make prejudiced remarks?

I also wonder what the comparable levels of outcry would have been if it had been a remark about someone because they were gay, or if it had been some racial stereotype instead.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Michael Wallace wrote:I also wonder what the comparable levels of outcry would have been if it had been a remark about someone because they were gay, or if it had been some racial stereotype instead.
It would have been comparable to this :o
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote: I also wonder what the comparable levels of outcry would have been if it had been a remark about someone because they were gay, or if it had been some racial stereotype instead.
Not really relevant but it's Garth crooks so it's funny.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ben Hunter wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:I also wonder what the comparable levels of outcry would have been if it had been a remark about someone because they were gay, or if it had been some racial stereotype instead.
It would have been comparable to this :o
Exactly :!:
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote: I also wonder what the comparable levels of outcry would have been if it had been a remark about someone because they were gay, or if it had been some racial stereotype instead.
Not really relevant but it's Garth crooks so it's funny.
I love this guy.
Michael Wallace wrote: The main thing (as far as I can tell) is "Can you believe that? A female linesman. Women don’t know the offside rule.". Hardly a huge deal, but I don't really get the "it's the same joke 1000s of people were making up and down the country" line - that makes it more acceptable to make prejudiced remarks?

I also wonder what the comparable levels of outcry would have been if it had been a remark about someone because they were gay, or if it had been some racial stereotype instead.
What I mean is that they could easily have just been taking the piss out of the fact that there's such an obvious joke. A bit like that advert where the Englishman, Irishman and Scottishman walk into a pub. I'm pretty sure I made the women/offside rule joke, followed by some manly whooping and waheying for comic effect at some point and I love women, sexually. I'm a feminist.. I believe women should have any mad thing they want (© Peep Show).

Dissing gays and blacks is a bit different because... it just is? Dunno really. It feels like it is different because they are fewer in number and the prejudices are a bit more fresh. But maybe I'm a racist homophobe without knowing, despite my mum's best friend being a gay black transsexual lineswoman.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Also, Piquionne's a nob who deserved to get sent off, and Vaughan clearly dived to win that pen for Blackpool. Shocking.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon O'Neill wrote:What I mean is that they could easily have just been taking the piss out of the fact that there's such an obvious joke.
Yeah, I see what you mean. I suppose the trouble is how clearly it comes across either way.
Jon O'Racist wrote:Dissing gays and blacks is a bit different because... it just is? Dunno really. It feels like it is different because they are fewer in number and the prejudices are a bit more fresh.
Yeah, I see what you mean (echo, echo etc.). I was about to start a long-winded post about this, but then realised I really cba clogging up a thread about football. You fucking ginger.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Yeah, lets leave gays out of this... it's not as if there are any gay footballers anyway.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I'm all for female assistants, but fuck me Sian Massey could have made a bit of an effort. No makeup and she's hardly spent any time at all on her hair. Would it hurt to show a little cleavage as well?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Some great posts. ^^^^^^
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

I think if Jon had seen some great posts he wouldn't be complaining ;)

As it happens I watched this game and she did make some pretty fair decisions, although we'd spotted the one I think Jon's on about. There was another close one tho that she got bang on - they showed the replay and it was fair.

As far as I can see the best reason for not having female linesmen is that all the blokes moan about it, no self-respecting bloke would be a linesman for women's football, and it'll save me from have to listen to "Well, **** me. A ******* *********. They've got a ******* ********* on the lines. **** me. No ******* woman knows the offside rule anyway*." and similar for 95 ******* minutes.

Also who will cook the pies?

Michaela Tabb still rocks tho :)

*Two defending players between the attacking player and the goal line when the ball is passed to the attacking player.

Edited out of concern for how old some of the people reading this are, although I fear their education may already be being extended beyond repair.
Last edited by Lesley Hines on Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Lesley Hines wrote:Two defending players between the attacking player and the goal line when the ball is passed to the attacking player
...forwards. ;)
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Lesley Hines wrote:Two defending players between the attacking player and the goal line when the ball is passed to the attacking player
...forwards. ;)
Rofl :lol: :lol:
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Dunno what AW's picture is above (work filter), but I see Andy Gray has been sacked now :o
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

It's a shopped image of the three officials lining out last Saturday (I assume) and Sian Massey has shopping bags in one hand and a henry hoover in the other... but... jaysus, that's a shock. I kind of thought maybe, but assumed they'd try brush it under the carpet. Suppose Keys must go as well then. I'll miss Andy's co commentary on sky, if i'm honest. Him and Martin Tyler were always my favourite team. I guess he'll be snapped up by ESPN or Setanta or ITV or someone.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

I would have liked to have seen an apres match/special 1tv style sketch before now, whereby a similar team of pundits were speculating on Keys/Gray's replacements. That thought struck me on Sunday and made me wish I was funny enough to do one myself.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

She's quite cute actually.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

So, Saints knock Blackpool out of FA Cup, Blackpool pwn Man Utd, Saints play Man Utd in FA Cup.... hmmm...

Edit: I blame myself for this.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon Corby wrote:So, Saints knock Blackpool out of FA Cup, Blackpool pwn Man Utd, Saints play Man Utd in FA Cup.... hmmm...

Edit: I blame myself for this.
THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Yes. Yes it is.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Fuck the both of yers.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Just seen the footage of Andy Gray's "lewd behaviour". Bloody hell, if that kind of thing can get you fired then I would be unemployable. What he said about the lineswoman was much worse than that. It was really weird playing FIFA last night and hearing him commentate. I guess he's lost that gig now as well. Wonder who EA will go for. Alan Smith hopefully.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Well, I dunno. In my workplace that wouldn't ever happen and if it did It'd probably make me feel uncomfortable. It was interesting that she seemed to carry a vacant expression afterwards and appeared to be ignoring him. If that was the case then she more than likely felt uncomfortable. He's obviously a proper person of wealth or social standing.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

And Richard Keys has resigned now :(
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Andy Wilson wrote:Well, I dunno. In my workplace that wouldn't ever happen and if it did It'd probably make me feel uncomfortable. It was interesting that she seemed to carry a vacant expression afterwards and appeared to be ignoring him. If that was the case then she more than likely felt uncomfortable. He's obviously a proper person of wealth or social standing.
Yeah, it's hard to tell from a 10 second clip. There are some women in my workplace that I'd say that (and worse) to, and some women that I wouldn't. It entirely depends what their relationship is like. It seems fairly apparent that there's a lot more to this than these two incidents - it's either a litany of such offences, a continuous assault on women in his workplace (although that seems unlikely, because we'd most probably have been told about them) or it's most likely that it's to do with him trying to sue Murdoch's NOTW.
Martyn Simpson
Rookie

Post by Martyn Simpson »

This situation gets even more farcical by the minute.

I wonder if anyone's actually going to bother to ask Sian Massey what she actually makes of it all - I'd go as far as putting money on it that she heard more sexist comments from the Wolves and Liverpool players on Saturday.

A massive own goal by Sky IMO.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Martyn Simpson wrote:I'd go as far as putting money on it that she heard more sexist comments from the Wolves and Liverpool players on Saturday.
What difference does that make?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martyn Simpson wrote:This situation gets even more farcical by the minute.

I wonder if anyone's actually going to bother to ask Sian Massey what she actually makes of it all - I'd go as far as putting money on it that she heard more sexist comments from the Wolves and Liverpool players on Saturday.

A massive own goal by Sky IMO.
This seems to fit well with your generally progressive attitude to women.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Martyn Simpson wrote:I'd go as far as putting money on it that she heard more sexist comments from the Wolves and Liverpool players on Saturday.
That they're not being splashed all over the papers? Sacked by their employers? The fact that The Sun dares to comment on sexism cases like these is just laughable. Do me a favour, love.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
That they're not being splashed all over the papers? Sacked by their employers? The fact that The Sun dares to comment on sexism cases like these is just laughable. Do me a favour, love.
They're also not being employed for the value of what they say, or acting as the mouthpiece for a broadcasting corporation. And anyway, whatever you think about The Sun, nothing they do could make it retrospectively okay for broadcasters to be sexist.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

They weren't on air..
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:They're also not being employed for the value of what they say, or acting as the mouthpiece for a broadcasting corporation. And anyway, whatever you think about The Sun, nothing they do could make it retrospectively okay for broadcasters to be sexist.
Nor was Andy Gray when he said anything sexist. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge Andy Gray fan, and I do get the impression he might possibly be a proper sexist twat, but fuck me if you could sack people based on (what are in effect) private conversations, God help us all (it wasn't even that bad). Me & a mate were discussing this at the coffee machine, and so we've been pointing out every "bad" thing we say since. It's just, like, every conversation.

I wasn't suggesting The Sun makes it okay for anyone to do anything, just pointing out what an utter pile of hypocritical shit it is.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

What the fuck? We had a girl incorrectly disallowed for offside... by a fucking man. Wonder what the hell Andy Gray would say about that.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

I think there's a lot of bravado when it comes to football, and it's something that chaps like to keep for themselves. Certainly the ones I know, anyway. They're happy for me to come to the pub for the big matches, and go to live games and join in with the cheering / groaning etc., but I'm never welcome to join in the post-match analysis in a fairly patronising "but you're a bird so what do you know, love?" way. Even when pundits promptly repeat me (you know when it's happened to you!) and my hb, being a Proper Football Statto, knows I know all the rules, I'm apparently still ignorant about it.

Tbh tho that doesn't bother me. They can have their thing, and take the mickey, but it doesn't make what they say true and it doesn't mean I have to take it to heart. Same with this. If Andy Gray has to diss a woman to feel more manly (or whatever) it's shame on him, not her. It certainly means he should keep his opinions to himself but I'm not sure about the sacking.

On the basis tho that genuine sexism (as opposed to banter) is as bad as racism, that would leave me about to start a 'Vindicate Ron Atkinson' campaign. Bother. :lol:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Matt Morrison wrote:What the fuck? We had a girl incorrectly disallowed for offside... by a fucking man. Wonder what the hell Andy Gray would say about that.
FREUD!!!! goal*
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Andy Gray: Dickhead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feLjlu29 ... re=related

Peter Niemeyer: Ledge bag
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »