Any fitness fanatics on here?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Post Reply
Scott Bagnall
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:06 pm
Location: manchester

Any fitness fanatics on here?

Post by Scott Bagnall » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:00 pm

So is there any fitness fanatics frequenting these waters? and if so what does your routine consist of?

I am a serious fitness fanatic. I go running every day if i can and i also put in a decent brisk walk at least 5 times a week. I do gardening every day because it's my job (although i'm not doing it at present due to the god awful winter we are incurring!) and basically any sort of excercise i can get my hands on.

The one thing that lets me down is my diet. It's quite poor and i also drink which limits my performance at times. If i could sort this side of things out i would be ripped to shreds. No question about that.

So who like me loves to keep fit?

User avatar
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General
Posts: 3169
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: Leamington Spa, UK
Contact:

Re: Any fitness fanatics on here?

Post by Phil Reynolds » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:23 pm

Scott Bagnall wrote:If i could sort this side of things out i would be ripped to shreds.
If you want to be ripped to shreds, try posting something here critical of Rachel. :roll:
So who like me loves to keep fit?
Obvious candidate: Matthew Green

User avatar
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:05 pm
Location: Brighton, UK

Re: Any fitness fanatics on here?

Post by Lesley Jeavons » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:45 pm

Scott, I'm an aerobics instructor, but I do it not because I love fitness, but because I don't want to be over weight again.

When I was weaning my son, and eating his left overs, and writing a recipe guide, and unhappy because my previous work had moved I gained 4 stone! :shock:

As the only sport I liked at school was when we did the Jane Fonda Workout in PE I knew I liked aerobics (because it's more like dancing) so I went to my local Rosemary Conley Diet and Fitness Club to lose my weight, and now I'm an instructor helping others to do the same. :)

If you could stay slim and healthy by sitting on the sofa watching TV and eating chocolate, then I would. :oops: Though I do love loads of the good stuff, but a nice big bar of Waitrose Dark Chocolate with Hazelnuts just can't be beaten! (Though it's actually not such a 'baddy' as dark choc is full of iron. 8-) )

So how bad is your diet? Do you eat too much or too little? Is it junk food? How much alcohol? I'm guessing that you're not eating too much if you're as fit and active as you say. But even if you are eating enough calories you may not be getting all the nutrients you need, which in return can affect your performance. (Isn't it horrific that we live in a country where some people are obese yet malnourished?! Wrong wrong wrong! :evil: )

Your body will be able to handle a certain amount of rubbish and alcohol, if you are also fuelling it with the good stuff. Do you know of the food pyramid? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_guide_pyramid Try to eat mainly cereals (espec oats), fruit, veg (espec cabbage and carrots), and then have less protein, fat (choose good fat, such as veg oil, avacado, olives, nuts, seeds, rather than saturated animal or processed hydrogenised), and less sugar, sweets, alcohol and rubbish in general.

If you want to you could pm me a sample food diary and I would be happy to suggest 'swapsies' where you could easily make improvements without stopping being 'you'. :)

User avatar
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General
Posts: 3169
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: Leamington Spa, UK
Contact:

Re: Any fitness fanatics on here?

Post by Phil Reynolds » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:06 pm

Lesley Jeavons wrote:Try to eat mainly cereals (espec oats), fruit, veg (espec cabbage and carrots), and then have less protein, fat (choose good fat, such as veg oil, avacado, olives, nuts, seeds, rather than saturated animal or processed hydrogenised), and less sugar, sweets, alcohol and rubbish in general.
This sounds remarkably like sticking to a low GI diet. My other half and I got into GI-awareness a couple of years ago and since then have found it much easier to keep our weight down and our cholesterol levels under control. (He's better at it than me because he also goes to the gym, which I can't be arsed to do.) We also eat extremely well (as in, we never go hungry) and feel generally much fitter.

(For those not in the know, GI stands for Glycaemic Index - a system which rates foods according to how quickly the carbs they contain are broken down into sugars in the bloodstream. High GI foods break down quickly, giving you a quick burst of energy (a 'sugar rush') but leaving you prone to slumping energy levels between meals and disruption to the body's insulin production. Low GI foods provide a gradual energy release, which also reduces the tendency of your body to store excess energy as fat. This is considerably better for you than proprietary 'fad' diets like Atkins which teach that all carbs are bad; the truth is that your body needs carbs for energy - you just have to eat more of the good ones and less of the bad ones.)

User avatar
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:05 pm
Location: Brighton, UK

Re: Any fitness fanatics on here?

Post by Lesley Jeavons » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:02 pm

Phil Reynolds wrote:This sounds remarkably like sticking to a low GI diet.
You are of course right, Phil. Most diets that work, are sensible, and nutritionally sound work on the principal of eating less fat and more slow energy releasing carbohydrates.

Low GI seems to be the latest buzz in the nutrition world, however it's much the same diet as Audrey Eyton's high fibre 'F Plan Diet' in the early 80s (and probably someone else's before hers). Low GI was originally prescribed to diabetic patients but it's a way of eating that most of us would benefit from (apart from maybe athletes etc who need that quick sugar rush of a Mars bar etc for a short burst of performance) and make us more stable mentally and physically.

Rosemary Conley now advocates low GI as well as low fat and this is proving even more successful than even her famous hip and thigh diet. (And of course this is better for me as a vegan instructor as the main foods I have to advocate are the ones I eat anyway! :twisted: 8-) )

I recently hired Carol's detox DVDs (as I was missing her :lol: ) and they're all much the same theory too.

So, with The Full Monty coming up, are you still not going to join your fella in the gym?! :P ;)

User avatar
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General
Posts: 3169
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:43 pm
Location: Leamington Spa, UK
Contact:

Re: Any fitness fanatics on here?

Post by Phil Reynolds » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:18 pm

Lesley Jeavons wrote:So, with The Full Monty coming up, are you still not going to join your fella in the gym?! :P ;)
Ha - no, quite the opposite. I'm playing Dave. Remember Mark Addy in the film, wrapping his belly in clingfilm and then eating a bag of crisps? That'll be me. I've had to promise the director that I'll put on at least a stone between now and July. Meanwhile, him indoors will be redoubling his efforts at the gym, as he's playing Jerry, the lead (called Gaz in the film, played by Robert Carlyle).

"Who wants to to see this dance?" "Me , Dave. I do."

User avatar
Ross M
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:12 pm

Re: Any fitness fanatics on here?

Post by Ross M » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:25 pm

I spend six days a week at the gym, but most of it is strength training now since I hurt my ankle.
It's a shame because I could do with losing a stone.

User avatar
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion
Posts: 653
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 am
Contact:

Re: Any fitness fanatics on here?

Post by Craig Beevers » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:32 pm

I do a bit each day. Walk out (very quickly) most days and jog/run on the way back, that's with a camera to the local ecology park. Do yoga and some muscle exercises each day, stuff that's off Wii Fit.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7646
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Any fitness fanatics on here?

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:27 pm

Scott Bagnall wrote:So is there any fitness fanatics frequenting these waters? and if so what does your routine consist of?

I am a serious fitness fanatic. I go running every day if i can and i also put in a decent brisk walk at least 5 times a week. I do gardening every day because it's my job (although i'm not doing it at present due to the god awful winter we are incurring!) and basically any sort of excercise i can get my hands on.

The one thing that lets me down is my diet. It's quite poor and i also drink which limits my performance at times. If i could sort this side of things out i would be ripped to shreds. No question about that.

So who like me loves to keep fit?
You're not registered with parkrun though, unless you use a different name.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests