Genius things

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Post Reply
User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4153
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Genius things

Post by Marc Meakin » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:06 am

As an antithesis of joke items i thought i would be positive and ' big up' new things that are good.
I will start with drone ' fireworks displays' all the beauty without the noise.
I hope this will be the norm when things get back to normal
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Mark James
Kiloposter
Posts: 1341
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: Genius things

Post by Mark James » Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:27 am

Me

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10165
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Genius things

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:00 am

parkrun

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4153
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Genius things

Post by Marc Meakin » Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:34 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:00 am
parkrun
Is that better than Parkour?
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10165
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Genius things

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:44 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:34 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:00 am
parkrun
Is that better than Parkour?
Probably.

User avatar
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja
Posts: 4367
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Genius things

Post by Jon O'Neill » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:00 pm

How new are we talking?

mRNA vaccines
Ring doorbell
LED lamp

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4153
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Genius things

Post by Marc Meakin » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:44 pm

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:00 pm
How new are we talking?

mRNA vaccines
Ring doorbell
LED lamp
I do like the concept of ring doorbells but we had a case of kids playing knock down ginger on a neighbors house and it nearly came to getting the police involved over posting pictures of the perpetrators on social media breaking privacy laws.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4153
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Genius things

Post by Marc Meakin » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:47 pm

Cheap go pro style cameras you can attach to your pets for hours of fun..... as long as your pet gives you permission obvs.

Also those usb portable juicers/smoothie makers as long as you drain the power befor cleaning it..... How we laughed on the way to A and E 😂
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10165
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Genius things

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:14 pm

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:00 pm
How new are we talking?

mRNA vaccines
Ring doorbell
LED lamp
Genuine question - what's so good about LED lamps?

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4153
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Genius things

Post by Marc Meakin » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:33 am

LED lamps are energy efficient i think they last more than 5 years
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10165
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Genius things

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:23 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:33 am
LED lamps are energy efficient i think they last more than 5 years
Why just lamps?

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4153
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Genius things

Post by Marc Meakin » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:50 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:23 pm
Marc Meakin wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:33 am
LED lamps are energy efficient i think they last more than 5 years
Why just lamps?
Maybe Jono will enlighten us 🙂
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja
Posts: 4367
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Genius things

Post by Jon O'Neill » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:59 pm

I meant lamp in a more generic sense. Not sure why I chose that word.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4153
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Genius things

Post by Marc Meakin » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:27 pm

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:59 pm
I meant lamp in a more generic sense. Not sure why I chose that word.
Lamp as in light bulb.
I think lamp is more commonly used these days than bulb.
When I worked in maintenance, back in the day before the wheels came off, only electricians called bulbs lamps.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4153
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Genius things

Post by Marc Meakin » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:48 pm

What3words
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Genius things

Post by Ian Volante » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:32 pm

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:00 pm
How new are we talking?

mRNA vaccines
Ring doorbell
LED lamp
Automatic/video doorbells sound like hell to me. Great, you can answer the door remotely and see who's there, but there's bugger all you can see if they start doing something contrary to what you'd like. I'd rather not know. Also, I'm aware of landlords (in the USA I believe) who are able to lock people out of their properties remotely if they reckon they're behind on payments or whatever. Furthermore, some of these companies have been known to sell the data they collect on people's entries and exits. So, that's a no to IoT door entry tech from me.

LEDs are a huge leap forward this century though.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja
Posts: 4367
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Genius things

Post by Jon O'Neill » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:41 pm

Ian Volante wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:32 pm
Automatic/video doorbells sound like hell to me. Great, you can answer the door remotely and see who's there, but there's bugger all you can see if they start doing something contrary to what you'd like. I'd rather not know. Also, I'm aware of landlords (in the USA I believe) who are able to lock people out of their properties remotely if they reckon they're behind on payments or whatever. Furthermore, some of these companies have been known to sell the data they collect on people's entries and exits. So, that's a no to IoT door entry tech from me.
As for the landlords - well, yes, that's regrettable, but if you make something much more convenient you are making it more convenient for bad guys. A criminal might use an LED torch to rob you but it's not the LED's fault.

As for the privacy - unless you think they're selling that data to burglars then it's no different to something like using Facebook. Unless I'm missing something...

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10165
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Genius things

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:55 pm

I just thought Jono meant doorbells generally. Either way it's weak in the context of this topic. And are LED bulbs really such a game-changer?

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10165
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Genius things

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:10 pm

And while I'm here - the vaccines one. Obviously they're really good and life-saving etc. but I see it as too boring and serious for this type of thread. You thought you were above criticism for that one, but no - you've been rumbled.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4153
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Genius things

Post by Marc Meakin » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:15 pm

Those guys from kent who have invented/adapted wind powered electricity for motorway lighting signs etc.
The genius behind it is that the slipstream of a vehicles trajectory will always generate the neccessary wind to power the electricity
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

David Williams
Kiloposter
Posts: 1061
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:57 pm

Re: Genius things

Post by David Williams » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:37 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:55 pm
I just thought Jono meant doorbells generally. Either way it's weak in the context of this topic. And are LED bulbs really such a game-changer?
Significant reduction in global carbon emissions and cheaper and longer-lasting than what they replace. Something actually useful that won a Nobel prize. And, even more important, last year's Christmas tree lights work first time.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10165
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Genius things

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:04 pm

David Williams wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:37 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:55 pm
I just thought Jono meant doorbells generally. Either way it's weak in the context of this topic. And are LED bulbs really such a game-changer?
Significant reduction in global carbon emissions and cheaper and longer-lasting than what they replace. Something actually useful that won a Nobel prize. And, even more important, last year's Christmas tree lights work first time.
Are they much more efficient than your regular energy-saving light bulbs?

User avatar
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast
Posts: 379
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:41 pm
Location: Kidderminster

Re: Genius things

Post by Adam Dexter » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:11 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:27 pm
I think lamp is more commonly used these days than bulb.
I and everyone I know locally would call it a lightbulb or a bulb - not a lamp. I wonder whether it's dialectal (West Mids/Worcestershire here). A lamp in my mind would conjure up a heat lamp rather than a lightbulb. The little flat ones are called spotlights - are we at least agreed on that?
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10165
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Genius things

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:34 pm

I think of a desk lamp. I had to look up heat lamp.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4153
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Genius things

Post by Marc Meakin » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:56 pm

Adam Dexter wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:11 pm
Marc Meakin wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:27 pm
I think lamp is more commonly used these days than bulb.
I and everyone I know locally would call it a lightbulb or a bulb - not a lamp. I wonder whether it's dialectal (West Mids/Worcestershire here). A lamp in my mind would conjure up a heat lamp rather than a lightbulb. The little flat ones are called spotlights - are we at least agreed on that?
All i can say on the matter is if i go into an electrical wholesalers and ask for a replacenent lamp for my spotlight they will immediately know what i mean
however I'm sure if you asked for a bulb they wouldn't neccesarily say ' what to plant in a garden' like the electrician i worked with in the early nineties 😊
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Fiona T
Enthusiast
Posts: 477
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Re: Genius things

Post by Fiona T » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:24 am

Sliced bread
8-) <-2m-> 8-)

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post
Posts: 4153
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Genius things

Post by Marc Meakin » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:25 pm

Screenshots.
With my abilities with tech being poor at best, the screenshot has been a godsend especially with two concurrent incidents of self isolation
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja
Posts: 4367
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Genius things

Post by Jon O'Neill » Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:25 pm

Parking sensors

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3605
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Genius things

Post by Ian Volante » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:37 pm

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:41 pm
Ian Volante wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:32 pm
Automatic/video doorbells sound like hell to me. Great, you can answer the door remotely and see who's there, but there's bugger all you can do if they start doing something contrary to what you'd like. I'd rather not know. Also, I'm aware of landlords (in the USA I believe) who are able to lock people out of their properties remotely if they reckon they're behind on payments or whatever. Furthermore, some of these companies have been known to sell the data they collect on people's entries and exits. So, that's a no to IoT door entry tech from me.
As for the landlords - well, yes, that's regrettable, but if you make something much more convenient you are making it more convenient for bad guys. A criminal might use an LED torch to rob you but it's not the LED's fault.

As for the privacy - unless you think they're selling that data to burglars then it's no different to something like using Facebook. Unless I'm missing something...
I'm certainly not arguing against progress as a way of avoiding nefarious use; that would be silly.

I think it's more that they're selling the data at all that I find problematic. As for Facebook, if people want to announce to the world what they're doing every five minutes, more fool them, but at least that's their choice.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja
Posts: 4367
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Genius things

Post by Jon O'Neill » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:31 pm

Ian Volante wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:37 pm
Jon O'Neill wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:41 pm
Ian Volante wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:32 pm
Automatic/video doorbells sound like hell to me. Great, you can answer the door remotely and see who's there, but there's bugger all you can do if they start doing something contrary to what you'd like. I'd rather not know. Also, I'm aware of landlords (in the USA I believe) who are able to lock people out of their properties remotely if they reckon they're behind on payments or whatever. Furthermore, some of these companies have been known to sell the data they collect on people's entries and exits. So, that's a no to IoT door entry tech from me.
As for the landlords - well, yes, that's regrettable, but if you make something much more convenient you are making it more convenient for bad guys. A criminal might use an LED torch to rob you but it's not the LED's fault.

As for the privacy - unless you think they're selling that data to burglars then it's no different to something like using Facebook. Unless I'm missing something...
I'm certainly not arguing against progress as a way of avoiding nefarious use; that would be silly.

I think it's more that they're selling the data at all that I find problematic. As for Facebook, if people want to announce to the world what they're doing every five minutes, more fool them, but at least that's their choice.
I did a bit more reading and what they are/were doing (article from early 2020) does sound pretty scandalous. However, my outrage with companies doing stuff like this is academic, in the sense that I don't care that they're selling my data personally. Maybe I should vote with my feet and boycott it, but to be honest my ire is outweighed significantly by even one of the instances I have enjoyed of not having to get out of bed bollock naked on a Saturday morning to go and answer the door.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10165
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Genius things

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:53 pm

OK, what are these doorbells and what to they do?

User avatar
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja
Posts: 4367
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Genius things

Post by Jon O'Neill » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:52 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:53 pm
OK, what are these doorbells and what to they do?
They ping your phone when someone's at your door.
The doorbell has a camera, speaker and microphone built in, so you can see/speak to the person at your door from your phone.

Adding to the list...

Google Maps/StreetView.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10165
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Genius things

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:31 pm

Actually Google Maps was one of the reasons that made me get a smartphone.

User avatar
Ben Wilson
Legend
Posts: 4234
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:05 pm
Location: North Hykeham

Re: Genius things

Post by Ben Wilson » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:51 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:31 pm
Actually Google Maps was one of the reasons that made me get a smartphone.
I was going to ask if regular fold-out maps were too big and unwieldy for you, but then I remembered how big your phone was.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10165
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Genius things

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:05 pm

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:52 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:53 pm
OK, what are these doorbells and what to they do?
They ping your phone when someone's at your door.
The doorbell has a camera, speaker and microphone built in, so you can see/speak to the person at your door from your phone.
So you can tell people you're not in rather than letting them infer it from the non-response. Game changer.

User avatar
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion
Posts: 563
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:38 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Genius things

Post by Callum Todd » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:53 am

This banter.
Ben Wilson wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:51 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:31 pm
Actually Google Maps was one of the reasons that made me get a smartphone.
I was going to ask if regular fold-out maps were too big and unwieldy for you, but then I remembered how big your phone was.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10165
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Genius things

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:28 am

Ben Wilson wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:51 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:31 pm
Actually Google Maps was one of the reasons that made me get a smartphone.
I was going to ask if regular fold-out maps were too big and unwieldy for you, but then I remembered how big your phone was.
Yeah, it's more that the "You are here" marker doesn't seem to move in real time on those big physical maps.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Peter Mabey and 10 guests