Do you have a pet?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post

Do you have a pet?

Post by Marc Meakin » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:40 am

What pet do you have.
I have just got a French Bulldog.
It's the first time I have had a " companion dog"
It's lucky my missus works from home
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Do you have a pet?

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:11 pm

I was sure I must have posted something about this before, but in my search I at least found out the Marc wouldn't care too much if his bulldog died.

But anyway, I've always thought that unless you're a child or chronically lonely, having a pet is a bit weird. I mean anything "less" than a dog or a cat is completely pointless anyway, because they're unlikely to remotely give a shit about you.

But even with a dog/cat, what are they for? People often seem to treat their pets as babies. But I think there's something a bit degenerate getting a baby substitute that you know is never going to "grow up" and seemingly just having it to be "cute". And as a companion, why would you want a being so vastly mentally inferior to you? As I say, I can understand if you live alone and don't have much human contact, but if you have a generally fulfilling social/family life, I'd say stick with humans. They're mostly cunts, but at least most of them can hold a conversation.

Marc Meakin
Lord of the Post

Post by Marc Meakin » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:52 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:11 pm
I was sure I must have posted something about this before, but in my search I at least found out the Marc wouldn't care too much if his bulldog died.

But anyway, I've always thought that unless you're a child or chronically lonely, having a pet is a bit weird. I mean anything "less" than a dog or a cat is completely pointless anyway, because they're unlikely to remotely give a shit about you.

But even with a dog/cat, what are they for? People often seem to treat their pets as babies. But I think there's something a bit degenerate getting a baby substitute that you know is never going to "grow up" and seemingly just having it to be "cute". And as a companion, why would you want a being so vastly mentally inferior to you? As I say, I can understand if you live alone and don't have much human contact, but if you have a generally fulfilling social/family life, I'd say stick with humans. They're mostly cunts, but at least most of them can hold a conversation.
In my defense I was off my head with bipolar disorder.
Her pet was a cat and the circumstances on which it died was the catalyst for the break up of my relationship.
And it was a fickle cat so it don't count 😀.

I did want to get into a debate about raw food versus kibble but I needed to canvass dog owners.

Also Gev , as a vegan I would think giving it meat would not sit well with you
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:26 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:11 pm

I've no idea why dogs are enjoyable, and I feel for anyone that has to deal with having one. That said, I've got four.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles